Chapter 16: Lunchtime
492 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Exiting the boutique with a sense of satisfaction, Kara Danvers felt a weight lift off her shoulders as she finally settled the matter of her attire for the Charity Ball. After looking at the rays of afternoon sun, Kara glanced at her watch noting with surprise that it was already past 2 PM.

With a pang of hunger gnawing at her stomach, Kara decided to stop for lunch before heading back to work. Spotting a cozy Chinese restaurant nearby, where the savory aroma of stir-fried dishes wafted through the air, she made her way inside.

The restaurant's interior was bathed in golden light and the diners were seated at wooden tables adorned with crimson tablecloths. Colorful lanterns hung from the ceiling.

Kara took a moment to soak in the cozy ambiance as waitress approached Kara, a friendly smile lighting up her face. "Good afternoon, ma'am. Welcome to Golden Dragon. Are you dining in today?"

Kara returned the smile, nodding in affirmation. "Yes, please. Just one today."

The waitress led Kara to her booth and handed her a menu, her eyes twinkling with warmth. "Take your time with the menu, and let me know if you have any questions."

"Thank you," Kara replied and a sense of tranquility washed over her as she settled into a plush booth near the window at the corner.

She glanced around the bustling eatery,where a group of Chinese American friends laughing over steaming bowls of noodles, a couple sharing hushed conversations over plates of dim sum, and a lone person who looked like businessman engrossed in his meal while tapping away on his phone.

Then her gaze scanned the extensive list of dishes with interest. After a moment's deliberation, she made her selection and signaled for the waitress to return.

"I'll have the Kung Pao chicken, please," Kara said, handing back the menu with a grateful smile.

The waitress nodded and jotted down Kara's order before hurrying off to the kitchen.

As she waited for her food to arrive, her thoughts drifted, pondering the events of the day. Despite selecting her gown for the Charity Ball, a sense of restlessness tugged at the edges of her consciousness, an inexplicable urge to not go back to work.

Kara furrowed her brows, the conflicting emotions swirling within her. On one hand, she knew she had work to fulfill at Catco. On the other, there was a growing desire to just go back home and do other stuff.

'I shouldn't feel this way,'Kara mused to herself, her gaze drifting to the window where the sunlight filtered through, casting warm patterns on the table. 'I love my job, but...maybe a little break wouldn't hurt.'

Her inner dialogue was interrupted as the waitress returned with her order, placing the steaming plate of Kung Pao chicken in front of her. Kara offered a grateful smile, the aroma of the food momentarily distracting her from her inner turmoil.

"Thank you," she said as she picked up her fork and began to eat. Each bite was a symphony of flavors, a welcome distraction from the thoughts she was thinking about.

But even as she savored the delicious meal, Kara couldn't shake the feeling of discontent that lingered in the back of her mind. It was as if a voice was urging her to seize the moment, to embrace the freedom that lay just beyond her grasp.

'Maybe...maybe I should just take the rest of the day off,' Kara thought aloud, surprising herself with the admission. The idea felt foreign yet strangely liberating, like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

As sudden determination seized Kara, and before she knew it, she was reached for her phone, her fingers dialed the number for the C.E.O of Catco Worldwide Media.

When Alex Grant answered on the other end, she took a deep breath, steeling herself for what she was about to ask.

"Hi, Alex. It's Kara," she began, her voice tentative yet determined. "I was wondering if I could take the rest of the day off from work. I'm feeling a bit under the weather, and I think some rest would do me good."

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line, and Kara held her breath, waiting anxiously for Alex's response. To her surprise, he acquiesced without hesitation, his tone understanding.

"Of course, Kara. Your health comes first. Take the time you need and rest up. We'll manage without you for the rest of the day."

Relief flooded through Kara as she thanked Alex profusely before ending the call. Kara then returned her attention to her meal, savoring each bite as she embraced the unexpected reprieve from her responsibilities.

3