2. Encounter with a Street Urchin
104 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Haah… Haah…

A four-year-old kid holds a wooden sword and performs practice swings in the backyard of his house. He is wearing a brown gi with a black belt and black sandals.

"Your posture is incorrect, boy!"

A fairly tall man with a sturdy build, light brown hairs, a slightly bulbous nose, and black eyes instructs him. He holds a wooden stick in his hand and taps the boy's arm to point out his mistake.

The boy adjusts his posture accordingly and continues the practice.

"The movements of your wrists are too inflexible!"

"Too much unnecessary force in your swing. Maintain a rhythm or you will easily tire yourself out."

"Don't extend your legs too much."

The man instructs the boy repeatedly, correcting his mistakes.

"I think that's enough practice for today!"

A sweet female voice interrupts them.

"Lady Ishiko!" The man turns towards the voice and bows slightly.

The boy also places down the wooden sword and walks towards his mother. Ishiko wipes his forehead with a towel and hands him a bamboo cup with a drink.

"Do you like it, Kurai?!"

"Yes, mom! It's so refreshing!"

Kurai nods and finishes the nutrition soup. Ishiko offers another cup to the sturdy, tall man who accepts it with a smile.

"Thank you, lady Ishiko!"

"No, I should be the one to thank you, Yūga, for training Kurai in Kenjutsu."

"Haha… it's alright! I don't have many missions to do these days." Yuga smiles and finishes the drink in a single gulp.

"Bye Uncle Yuga! See you later!" Kurai waves him goodbye.

Yuga Senju is a member of the Senju clan and a subordinate of his grandmother. He is an orphan whose parents died during the Second Shinobi War. Since then, Grandma Shima raised him as her own child. He later moved out after his promotion to a chunnin and lives nearby.

Now, years after, Yuga is already a full-fledged jounin with several difficult missions under his belt.

After Yuga's departure, Ishiko turns to Kurai.

"I will go shopping soon. Do you want to come with me?" She asks him.

"Ok!" Kurai nods.

"Then, I will buy your favorite red bean paste mochi!" Ishiko smiles and nudges him to change clothes.

-----

A few minutes later,

Kurai holds Ishiko's hand and walks outside the Senju clan compounds with slight excitement.

It has been a month since he woke up in this world. Since that day, this is his third visit outside the Senju clan compound. So, he was quite looking forward to it.

During his first visit, he was able to deduce the timeline; a problem that has been haunting him for several days.

Well, how did he deduce the timeline?

A certain yellow-haired street urchin was found beaten black and blue in a corner of the street.

Kurai instantly recognized him as the protagonist of this world. Well, who could it be other than Naruto?

Yes, he found a three-and-a-half-year-old kid beaten near a trashcan in a corner. His mother wanted to help him but had to hold herself somehow for some reason.

'Well, he wasn't sure what it was, but it might be related to Anbu and other sorts. And guess, who isn't afraid of Anbu, a kid like him!'

Kurai bravely walked in front of Naruto and handed him his half-eaten candied fruit and mochi. He then waved him goodbye and left with his mother.

'Well, he is the protagonist and the future Hokage. So, of course, I have to leave a good impression. And, he is a part Uzumaki like me; so, he is family. And well… what threat can an innocent four-year-old kid with a reputable clan pose to the Jinchuriki of the Nine-tails?

That kind gesture even earned me rewards from my mother, father, and grandma. Yes, grandma! My grandma Shima is also a member of the Uzumaki clan and she is still alive. 

Interacting this past month with my new grandma kind me of reminded of my old grandma from the previous life and my eyes became a bit numb. Both of them have the same sweet, warm smile.'

"Mochi! Mochi! Mochi!"

Kurai hums a tune of a song from his world and hops away with his mother in a good mood.

'At least my safety is guaranteed for a few years.'

Whoosh… whoosh… whoosh…

Suddenly, several shinobis flicker across the roofs of the shops and houses in the shopping district.

"Wow, what speed!" Kurai speaks in fascination.

He wasn't acting. He was truly fascinated. These people were running at a speed of at least 20-25 meters per second. If you put that in perspective of a normal human from his past life, then it's almost twice as fast as the world record. So, yeah, of course, it's fascinating.

"I think I saw Dad among them!" Kurai mumbles as he briefly captures a figure with a similar build to his father.

"Mmm… you have sharp observation!" Ishiko nods and then continues to walk towards the grocery store.

She meets up with a chubby woman, waiting outside in the queue.

"Nice to meet you, Aunty!" Kurai politely bows his head.

"Ara… what a polite kid!" The chubby woman smiles and hands him a candy from her bag.

"I brought this for my son. He is of the same age as you." The chubby woman chuckles.

'Umm… I think I know who she is talking about.'

The figure of a fat human pinball flashes past Kurai's mind.

"Thank you, Aunty!" Kurai thanks her and pockets the candy.

He whistles while waiting in the queue.

Hmm…

Suddenly, Kurai feels a pair of eyes silently gaze at him. Especially at the pocket he just put the candy in.

Kurai looks around to search for the suspect.

'Found him!'

He notices a few yellow tufts of hair peeking out from a nearby electric pole. A certain yellow urchin is lurking in the corner.

Kurai breaks free from his mother's hand and walks towards the electric pole, startling Ishiko and the yellow Urchin.

Naruto is frightened by Kurai and quickly turns around to escape.

"Wait!" Kurai's shout immobilizes Naruto in his place.

He walks in front of Naruto and puts on the most innocent and charming smile he can muster.

"Hi, my name is Kurai Senju. What's yours?"

Kurai extends a hand towards Naruto.

"Ah!"

Kurai's gesture startles Naruto, and he pulls his hand behind his back.

'Hmm… he is afraid of me!' Kurai senses the fear in Naruto's eyes.

'Damn it! Looks like someone bullied him again.' Kurai notices Naruto's dirty clothes and some bruises on his arms.

'What the fuck are the Anbus and the jounins of the Hokage Office doing? They can't even keep a kid safe.' He curses them in his mind.

Growl… growl…

At this moment, Naruto's stomach growls.

Ah…

He quickly places his hand on his stomach with a red face.

'And he is hungry, too! Are they not even feeding him properly? Do they expect a three-year-old kid to make food?'

In that case…

"Come with me!"

Kurai forcefully grabs Naruto's arm and pulls him. Naruto resists a bit, but compared to Kurai; he lacks the strength.

"Just come with me!"

Kurai becomes a bit more forceful.

He walks in front of his mother and makes the most innocent and cute face he can muster.

"M-mom! Can you give me m-money?!"

"Oh!" A playful smile appears on Ishiko's face.

She takes out her purse and gives a hundred Ryō note to him.

"Poor kid!" While Ishiko hides her emotions, tears overflow from the chubby woman's eyes.

She also forks out a hundred Ryō note and hands it over to Kurai.

"Go and eat something good!"

Mm…

Kurai nods and happily drags Naruto away.

"Don't get lost along the way. Find me in the same spot!" Ishiko's motherly phrases enter Kurai's ears.

"Ok, Mom!" He turns around and nods.

Growl… growl…

Naruto's hunger strikes again.

"This is a lot of money. Today, we will eat something good!" He smiles at Naruto and drags him towards a Ramen stall in the distance.

'Hehe… I am sorry, Iruka Sensei! But I will take Naruto's ramen virginity… Ahem, I mean I will borrow your spot for the time being.'

"Boss! Give me two bowls of your best ramen!"

Kurai slams the money on the table.

"Oh! A rich customer!"

A jovial man in his early thirties walks out of the aisle and glances at them with a smile.

"Ayo! Coming right up!"

He takes out two large bowls and fills them with soup, noodles, char-su, boiled eggs, and other toppings.

"Here!"

"Smells so good!" Naruto takes a whiff and his stomach growls again.

"Eat up!"

Kurai holds his bowl and digs in.

"Can I?" Naruto hesitates a bit.

"Mm… of course! If you won't, then I will take your share." Kurai picks up his chopsticks and moves them towards Naruto's bowl.

"No, this is mine!" Naruto quickly grabs his bowl and turns it away.

Haha…

Teuchi chuckles at the sight and places more meat and eggs in their bowl.

"You two remind me of someone. So, here, take some extra. It's on the house!"

"Thank you, Oji-san!"

Kurai starts slurping his ramen.

"Arigato, Oji-san!" Naruto also follows Kurai's etiquette and starts eating his food.

"So good!" Naruto's eyes light up and his pace increases.

"See, I told ya!" Kurai glances at Naruto and nods.

Half an hour later.

"That hit the spot!" Kurai rubs his slightly fat belly.

"Haha… you talk like an old man!" Teuchi chuckles.

"I saw my dad say it!" Kurai cleans his teeth with a toothpick.

"So good! So yummy! I am full!" Naruto also rubs his fat belly. There are three empty bowls in front of them each.

Teuchi hands over the remaining money to Kurai.

"Here, your change!"

Kurai grabs the change and then passes it to Naruto.

"You can use it to eat next time."

Ah!

Naruto's expression freezes. He hesitates a bit.

"C-can I? B-but… no one wants to…"

"Of course you can." Kurai shoves the money in Naruto's hand and turns to Teuchi.

"Hey Oji-san! Is this boy not a customer?" He asks.

"Haha… of course, he is a customer. Anyone who pays is a customer."

"See!" Kurai turns to Naruto.

"Next time, when you pass by, you can eat your fill." Kurai pats Naruto's back and takes out the candy from his pocket.

"You can have it too!"

"Really?"

"Really!"

"Then, thank you!" Naruto accepts the candy with a cheerful smile.

"See ya later!" Kurai waves him goodbye.

"Naruto!" Naruto murmurs.

Hmm…

Kurai turns around.

"NARUTO! That's my name." Naruto musters some courage and shouts.

"Kurai!" Kurai smiles and extends his hand.

"Will you be my friend?" He asks.

"Mm… I want to be your friend." A pure and beautiful smile appears on Naruto's face.

'Aww… my heart will melt at his innocence.' Kurai bites his lower lips with some tears.

"Then, from today onwards, we will be friends!"

The duo part ways.

Sniff… sniff…

"What a beautiful start to a friendship?" Tears flow from Teuchi's eyes.

"Dad, what's the matter?"

An eight-year-old girl walks out of the shop.

"Ayame, I just saw a very beautiful scene." He wipes his tears while Ayame tilts her head in confusion.

"Here, take this money and go enjoy yourself." He hands over some cash to his daughter.

"Dad, you are the best!" The little girl hugs him and rushes out of the shop.

"This money!" Teuchi glances at the two hundred Ryo notes on the table.

"I will cherish these two notes as a wonderful memory!" He swipes them off the table and places them in a special section after writing Kurai and Naruto's names on paper.

----------

"Mom, I am back!"

Kurai meets Ishiko outside the Senju clan compounds.

"How was it?" Ishiko asks him with a smile.

"Mom, today I made my first friend!" Kurai recounts his experience as he enters the Senju clan compound.

----------

In a secret underground facility,

Whoosh…

A figure clad in black clothes and a white animal mask with red markings bows in front of another figure in the shadows.

"Any suspicious activity or threat to the target's safety?"

A middle-aged voice echoes in the room.

"No, Sir!" the Anbu answers.

"Alright, then you can continue the observation." The figure waves his hand to dismiss him.

"Umm… sir, there is something else!" The Anbu hesitates before opening his mouth.

"What's it?"

"Umm… sir, today a kid approached the target. I investigated the kid's background." He hands over a small scroll to the figure.

Hmm…

The figure glances through the contents of the scroll.

'A friend?' A slight smile appears on the figure's face.

"Very well! Don't bother the Senju kid. Let him be! And continue to protect the target."

"Yes, sir!"

Whoosh…

The Anbu disappears from the room.

'Hoh! Look like there is still hope in the new generation. However,"

Suddenly, the figure's expression turns grave.

"Kitsune!"

Whoosh…

An Anbu wearing a white fox mask with blacked-out ovular eyes and red designs over the cheeks flickers in front of the figure.

"Sir!" the Anbu greets him with a standard Anbu bow.

"Investigate the people spreading the rumors about the Demon Fox!"

"Yes, sir!"

Whoosh…

The Kitsuné mask Anbu disappears in a similar fashion as he appeared.

"Sir!"

While the figure was pondering, another Anbu flickers in the room.

"What's the matter?" The figure frowns.

"Sir, this is the report from the borders." The Anbu hands over a scroll to the figure.

"Kumo is gathering its forces around the Land of Fire territories. They seem ready to wage another war!"

Hmm…

The figure inspects the contents of the scroll.

'I have to talk to the Hyuga clan's leader about this. Konoha isn't in any shape to wage another war.'

He waves his hand to dismiss the Anbu.

3