Chapter 4 – A Commotion
26 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I apologize for the inconvenience." The man in the large-armor said in a unique deep voice as he placed a hand on his metal-plated chest. "I hope you'll pardon us."

He gestured at the knight beside him, who then obediently stepped forth and produced a key from his pocket, inserting it at the opening of the metallic padlock of the cell.

*Click*

The lock clicked open as the gate of the cell swung to the side.

Simonne furrowed his eyebrows, and felt suspicious. Why would a knight, the most noblest of person in the middle hierarchy, apologize to a person such as him? Almost all the knights and nobles he had met before were all arrogant and valued their pride above anything else. The way they see commoners was like seeing nothing but a lamb they can freely slaughter at anytime. But of course, his thought remained just at the inside of his mind as he smiled and walked out the cell. He courteously bowed and placed a hand on chest. "I thank you, Sir Knight, for freeing us."

"Does this mean we can finally leave now?"

Following from behind Simonne, Kaiji walked out as well and also made an unrefined bow upon seeing the example of his companion doing that kind of thing in front of him.

"Of course." The huge knight responded in a polite tone and smiled. "It was just that we've received an assignment from the upper echelons about a few days ago that we're doing this check for every person going here at the borders." He turned to look at the subordinate by his side. "I've also just received the report of the two of you being brought here in this cell, so I personally came to set you both free up. I apologize for what happened again."

"No, it's really kind enough that you even came here just to help us." Simonne shook his head and politely replied back.

Kaiji, who stood at the side, nodded his head. "Yeah, we would probably still have to wait for a few days here if you didn't come."

"Then I'll take your words." The knight nodded and shifted his eyes back to Simonne. "If I may be so bold, can you tell me where will you go after this?"

Simonne's eyebrows deepened even further, but still maintained his polite complexion. "The nearest town from here. The town of Hollowden."

"Oh?" The knight suddenly perked up his head.

"What is it?"

"Coincidentally, one of the carriage from our supply unit had been tasked to set out tomorrow for Hollowden." The knight momentarily paused. "And since the villagers here were all currently gone, only our carriage would be able to leave in the nearest date."

"So what you mean is..."

"Right." The knight nodded. "If you like, we can give you a free ride for Hollowden."

Simonne hesitated. Kaiji and him had originally planned that they would take horses to travel for Hollowden because it was a lot cheaper than carriages, so he was tempted to go on with the offer of a free ride— but he could sense that it may not be all that simple as it seem. The words the knight have said may have contained ambiguity. Because it would mean that joining in with them also meant that they would also be vulnerable to be inspected even more than an unreliable interrogation.

But if they really acted out as if they really knew nothing, they won't be found out.

And above anything else, they wouldn't have to spend money.

"We'll go along with your carriage. I'm sorry for troubling you." Simonne bowed once again and expressed his gratitude.

The knight nodded his head. "I'll tell the supply unit about it later. For now, the both of you can stay at the camp until tomorrow." He turned to his back. "Follow me."

The knight's subordinate automatically went up to the front and opened the door for them.

They passed through several rooms after that until they finally reached the exit.

Warm sunlight bathed them as they left the building and the cool breeze gently caressed their skin. What Kaiji and Simonne discovered outside the building was several dozens of pitched up tents upon the patches of green grasses that were all aligned side by side in rows.

But Kaiji and Simonne felt that it was just too odd seeing knights that wore metal armors instead of common villagers tending on everything at the village. It was a new experience for them, at least.

"Halt!"

There, a few meters away from them, a large wooden cart came to a sudden stop as the horses that pulled the leash neighed in fear from the knights before it, who were pointing their sharp spears in the same level as its eyes. The cart swayed at the abrupt break, as well as the driver who sat at the front.

"...May I ask what do you gentlemen need of me?"

The person, whom Kaiji assumed as a man judging from his voice, that sat at the driver's seat wore an ordinary brown garb with a hood that covered his entire face. Although his voice was a bit rougher than normal, his tone was still polite.

One of the knights stepped forth and held his spear into the air. "We just need to have you for some interrogation." He waved his arms to the person behind him. "Take him inside."

All the knights that surrounded him at the sides raised up their spears and moved to grab the man sitting at the cart.

"But I have to hurry right now."

"Save your excuses for later."

"..."

*Bam*

Something cracked open from behind the large wooden cart and stirred up an unnatural amount of dust that blocked their sight.

"Attack!!"
  
    
    
       

2