Part 4
1.4k 6 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After breakfast with Claire the next day, Azara suddenly looked at Ivy with a serious face. "Last night when you were told the witches downstairs tried to sell your soul you didn't react very strongly. Why is that?"

"I thought you took care of the problem?" Ivy replied.

She shook her head. "All I did was give them a scare. It doesn't mean they won't try something again, to you or to someone else."

"Oh. I hadn't thought of that. What can we do, then?"

"I can't really interfere much with humans too much, but other humans might be able to do something. What you said last night about an authority on magic might be a valid idea."

"Really? I was just saying things!"

"I tried searching for any large amounts of magic power and there actually is one in the city. We should go there soon."

"I'm coming with!" Claire chimed in. "I want to help."

"Are you sure?" Ivy asked. "You're not magically protected like I am."

"It's about your well-being. I want to do something if I can. And besides, maybe they'll go after next of kin. None of us would enjoy that."

"You have a point. Let's get going then."

Ivy and Azara took their showers and got ready to leave, while Claire returned home to get ready. She would be picked up by Ivy later. Before they went out the door, Azara held Ivy's hand and a ring appeared on their fingers. "Now people will know you're mine."

Ivy gasped. "It's beautiful! How did you do it without wishing?"

"We're close enough now that I don't have to have you wish for something you already want."

Ivy suddenly grabbed Azara and kissed her. For once, it was Azara's turn to blush. When they separated Azara touched her lips. "That was my first kiss."

"Our first kiss," Ivy replied, smiling. She took the lead and pulled Azara by the hand out the door.

They picked up Claire and who had showered and changed, and complimented the rings, making Azara beam. Then they drove to the city, following Azara's sense of direction. After a certain point they had to park somewhere and walk the rest of the way. They arrived at a small, unassuming apartment building and pressed the first doorbell.

"Who is it?" the voice from the speaker said.

"Hi. We haven't met but I need magic help," Ivy replied.

"What makes you think I can help?"

"We have someone who can sense magic coming from this building."

"...Come in." The door unlocked with a loud "click".

The three stepped inside and a young, plump woman greeted them. "You didn't say you were bringing a demon," she said.

Claire had a shocked look on her face but didn't say anything. They had avoided telling her that Azara was a demon last night.

"I won't do anything uncalled for," Azara responded.

"Very well." She led them into her apartment and began making tea for everyone. "I'm Penelope. Now who are all of you and what do you need from me?"

"I'm Ivy."

"Azara."

"Claire, Ivy's sister."

"I'm Ivy's wife," Azara smugly added.

"You married a demon?" Penelope asked Ivy incredulously.

"Yep. I did."

"...Impressive. You'll have to teach me how to snag a nice demon," Penelope said.

"O-Oh. Uh, maybe later. Right now I need your help with something."

"Right. You mentioned that. So what is it you need help with? A curse?"

"It's witches. They tried to sell my soul, and they also tried to curse me."

Penelope thought for a moment, "Their names wouldn't happen to be Lily and Kathy, would they?"

"That's them! How did you know?"

"This whole building is full of witches. A coven, of sorts. Those two used to be a part of it until they were kicked out a few years ago for malpractice and wanting to cause harm to others for their own personal gain. Before they left they talked about finding someone to use for a ritual and stole some tomes. I asked if it was them because there aren't a lot of witches in the area, and of the few of us they're probably the only ones who would try something like that."

"So what can we do?"

"Well, I suppose in hindsight we should have done more than just kick them out. This is a problem for the coven to deal with. Give me your location and we can find them from there."

"Really? Thank you so much! They're my neighbors so I know where they live. What are you going to do to them?"

"I'll have to discuss it with the coven, but we'll most likely strip them of their magic power. It's... Not a pretty thing to do, but those two can't be trusted. I think that's the best option."

"Oh, I see."

"Don't feel bad for them, Ivy," Claire said. "They've tried to do terrible things to you, and this is them getting exactly what they deserve. It'd be nice if they could go to jail or something, though."

"I know they've done bad things. This whole situation just feels weird."

Azara squeezed Ivy's hand. "I've been thinking about how I could do something about them for a very long time now, but I couldn't interfere directly because of the rules against demons interfering with humans."

"How long have you been thinking about it?"

"Since the very first time I met them. After making sure you were okay the next day, I then spent a lot of time going around the various demon realms looking for a way to stop them from trying something like that again. When I couldn't find a good enough solution I came back to check on you as often as I could. I didn't think the solution would just be in the human realm itself."

"You mean visiting me wasn't just about food?" Ivy asked in surprise.

Azara rolled her eyes. "I'm not that much of a glutton. I cared about you from the very beginning, you know? And when I saw your memories I realized I liked you."

Ivy blushed and could only let out a meek "Thank you."

After a moment of silence Penelope began, "Well I've got a lot of preparation to do here, so you three should head out."

"Thank you so much, Penelope," Claire said.

"Yes, thank you," Ivy added.

After exchanging numbers in case they needed anything else, they all left. As they got in the car, Claire said, "So. You're a demon."

"Yeah," Azara replied. "We didn't tell you because of how people here view demons."

"I think I understand. I just wish you trusted me a little more. I think it would have turned out okay if you had told me then."

Ivy added, "I'm sorry, Claire. It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that it's a scary thing to reveal to someone and I had already revealed that I was trans and it just felt like so much."

"It's okay. But believe in your sister a little more next time, okay?"

"Yes. I will. I promise."

"Good. Now since we're in the city, shall we go shopping?" she asked with a smile.

"Oh! Yes!" Azara said excitedly. "It will be my first time shopping!"

"Well then we have to go! To the mall, Ivy!"

"Yes, yes. To the mall we go!" Ivy replied.

They spent the next few hours going into nearly every store the mall had to offer because Azara wanted to look at everything. They didn't buy much because Ivy didn't have a lot of spare money, and Azara hadn't been paid yet. Claire did buy a few things for Azara though, saying she could pay her back later. They picked out a shirt and a couple dresses.

They also went to a Japanese restaurant inside the mall, where Azara got to experience someone else's cooking for the first time. They had ordered hibachi, and Azara was enthralled when the chef came out to cook the food in front of them. Ivy hoped Azara wasn't planning on trying those things at home. The food was delicious, and afterward Azara casually said, "Ivy, let's open a restaurant."

"You liked the food that much, huh?" Ivy asked.

"Yes! Food is so bland in my realm! I can never go back now!"

"Haha, you've been spoiled."

"Oh, and whose fault might that be?"

"You got me there."

"I'm serious, though. You're a really good cook. We could sell your food!"

"She's right about your food being good, Ivy," Claire chimed in. "You really do have a knack for cooking."

"Thank you. I do actually pride myself on my ability to cook food. And I do like the idea and it's not like I haven't thought about something like that before... I'm just now sure how I would make it happen."

"Can't you just ask Azara?" Claire asked.

Azara shook her head. "I can do small things now and then but I sort of used up all the good karmic energy in the area turning Ivy into who she is. I made that wish consequence-free, so anything further could have serious complications that I wouldn't be able to control."

"That's okay," Ivy said. "I don't need or want everything just handed to me. I'm happy as I am with Azara."

"I think you should still go for it!" Claire exclaimed. "You've always wanted to do something like that and now that you have someone who can help you it should be a lot more manageable."

"I'll think about it. For now I want to get this witch business over with, plus we have to look for a new place to live still."

"Anyone respond to your emails yet?" Azara asked.

"A couple. I'll answer them when we get home."

Ivy drove the group back towards home, dropping Claire off along the way, who hugged them both and warned them to be careful of their neighbors, even if they had Azara's protection against them. They assented they would and were on their way. Since they were out they stopped at the grocery store where, once again, Azara had to investigate everything because it was all new to her. Ivy thought it was cute. After making it home they cuddled on the couch while looking for more places to live.

Azara sighed in contentment. "Do you know how long I've wanted this?"

"I know. It's also been a long time for me. When you were still visiting in your demon form I liked you then, too. I just didn't know if it would work between a demon and a human. But you changed for me, just like that. I didn't even know that was an option. I'd change for you too, if I could."

"Do you really mean that?"

"Yes. You've done so much for me, it's only fair that I do the same."

"Ivy. You don't have to prove anything to me. I know you like me, and just the fact that you would be willing to go so far for me is more than enough."

"I love you, Azara."

"I love you, too! I didn't want to say it until you were comfortable."

"You waited for me?"

"Yes, you dork. I will always wait for you. I would do anything for you. When push came to shove with that gatekeeper demon, I immediately chose you over everything else. I admit that was sooner than I would've liked, but he sort of forced my hand."

"You really did choose me," Ivy started tearing up slightly. "Maybe it was because I was trans and didn't know it but I just could never connect with someone in a relationship like I have with you. You mean so much to me." She leaned in to kiss Azara.

Azara wrapped her arms around Ivy as they began to make out. Ivy fell onto her back on the couch and pulled Azara with her, but that didn't stop their making out. At some point, neither were sure when, Azara returned to her midform. When they stopped for breath, Azara picked Ivy up in a bridal carry and she yelped in surprise. She carried her to the bedroom and shut the door with her foot, but that would do little to muffle the noise. It was a cheap door, after all.

69