Chapter Westward Ho the Wagon!: The Mystery is History
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        While Feya and Maisie’s room looked like any other hotel room, Feya felt a sort of panache with it—between the twin beds, the marble counter in front of the TV that read Welcome Maisie Claire Foster and Feya Fedora! on the screen, the fan on the ceiling, and finally, the leather chair in the corner.

        Regardless, Feya didn’t admire the room for long because she heard Maisie locking all the locks on the door. “Maisie, what is wrong with you?” she inquired through gritted teeth, setting Daisy beside her ankle. Feya stood and sat on the bed closest to Maisie. “Melody was just trying to help.”

        “Sure, but she hasn’t been your nurse for the past month.” Maisie almost stepped on Daisy, heading for a door at the back of the room. She pulled the window curtains aside, revealing a balcony with two rocking chairs on the other side. “Oh, wow, Fey! Look! We have a balcony!”

        “Ya don’t say?” Feya playfully rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Let’s go get our bags, Maisie.”

        “Na-hah!” Maisie gestured at the bed Feya sat on. “You, my friend, will rest, and will get the bags.”

        “Maisie, for God’s Sake! I’m not five years old!” Yelling felt weird for Feya, but so did Maisie’s overprotection. What was she so scared of? Feya had to prove that she could care for herself—maybe after a quick nap.

        She yawned, kicked off her sandals, and flopped onto the bed. “I’m fine, Maisie,” she stated, half asleep. Feya hugged the pillow and felt Daisy settle between her arms.

        Maisie chuckled. “You are impossible.” She tossed a blanket over Feya and pinched her cheek.

        Maisie’s action reminded Feya of how Victoriya comforted her when the war started. It was bittersweet, but it allowed her to slip into a much-needed rest.

        She awoke thirty minutes later to Maisie on Facetime and their luggage in their room. There was no Melody, though.

        “Hi, Milo!” Maisie said, waving at the screen. “I miss you, baby.”

        “Mrow.” Feya recognized Milo’s meow anywhere.

        Isla’s voice wafted into the air. “He and Luna are doing great! They played with Carrot a little and then took a nap together in Milo’s kennel.”

        Melody glimpsed at Feya, who sat. “Feya just woke from her nap.” She flipped the phone screen. “Say hi, Milo and Luna.”

        The orange tabby and black and white kitten curled their tails at the sight of Feya. Isla was in the background, her bunny on her shoulder. He was dark orange, like a carrot, while Milo was lighter.

        “Hey, Milo, Luna, and Isla.” Feya’s eyes darted to the room door. “I wish Melody was here so you can meet her, too.”

        Jealousy appeared in Maisie’s eyes. Feya didn’t understand why she was acting that way over another girl.

        “Who’s Melody?” Isla wanted to know.

        “Nobody!” Maisie spat. “We’ll talk later, Isla. Love you, Milo and Luna.” She hung up after that and faced an irritated Feya. “Did you have a good nap, Feya?”

        “Did I have a good nap?” Feya wanted to throw something. “You claim Melody is nobody, and all you have to say is, ‘Did you have a good nap?’ I’m tired of your coddling, Maisie! I can take care of myself!”

        “I’m assuming you didn’t?” Maisie guessed.

        “Shut up! I’m going to find Melody.” At least she let Feya speak for herself in South Registration. She also wanted to know more about this “Veracruz Ghost.” If she were real, Feya might finally have the chance to see Victoriya again.

        She left Maisie and Daisy and threw open the door.

        “Feya!” Maisie angrily shouted, grabbing her wheelchair. “Feya!”

        But Feya was already gone.

        She searched the whole resort for Melody, excluding the Convention Center, but didn’t see her anywhere. Feya went to Gran Destino Tower, where the lobby was, last. The concierge surely kept a record of Coronado’s Guests.

        Feya climbed the stairs from the Lower Lobby’s Barcelona Lounge to the check-in desks. The area was smaller than she expected but decorated with mosaics. A few looked like they could’ve been tapestries with their unique patterns.

        “Excuse me.” Feya approached a Concierge Cast Member carrying an iPad.

        She stood beside one desk and smiled at her. “Hello there. Do you need help with something?”

        “Yes, please. I’m looking for a friend who got here before my girlfriend and me. We don’t know where she’s staying.”

        “Oh, of course!” The Cast Member pulled something up on her iPad. “What’s her name?”

        Feya scratched her chin. “Um… Melody? I don’t know her last name, ma’am. But she has auburn-brown hair and is about my age.”

        Slightly confused, the Cast Member said, “You don’t know your friend’s last name?”

        “We just met her today.”

        “Ah, I see.” The Cast Member studied her iPad, and Feya patiently waited. “Hm, that’s strange. I don’t see a Melody on the Guest List.”

        “Wait, you don’t? Of all the people staying at Coronado, no one’s named Melody?” That was a little suspicious. “She said she’s a regular here.”

        “I see a Melanie, but not a Melody. Is she here for Summit, young lady?”

        Feya didn’t answer at first because she was trying to figure this out. “Uh, yeah,” she eventually lied. She didn’t like lying but didn’t want to cause a scene. “That’s probably where she is—at the Convention Center. I’m sure she’s in the system there. Thank you, ma’am.”

        “You’re welcome? I don’t think I did much.”

        Feya shook her head. “No, you did more than enough.” Now, it was off to the Convention Center! However, she got no further than the hallway behind the Barcelona Lounge when her left leg started to hurt.

        Feya reached for it and searched for a place to sit.

       In the next room, where Panchito’s Gifts was, she found something: a fountain filled with coins that gushed mesmerizing water. Feya flipped her own coin into it and plopped down on the fountain’s rim. She thought about calling Maisie but didn’t want her smothering her again. She knew what she could and could not do with her leg.

        “Hey, Feya! What are you doing here?” Melody appeared in front of her with a curious look as if from nowhere.

        “Melody!” Feya’s phone almost dropped into the fountain, but she caught it at the last second and choppily rose.

        “Nice catch.” Melody tucked a strand of hair behind her hair. “You have good reflexes.”

        “I looked all over the resort for you. Maisie and I had a fight,” Feya explained. “When I asked Concierge where you were staying, they said you weren’t on the Guest List.” She scoffed. “Crazy, right? It must’ve been a bug in the system.”

        Melody flinched. “Oh, yes. Crazy, indeed.”

        Feya lifted an eyebrow. “You are staying here, right?”

        Melody fell silent, and that was enough.

0