Chapter Light in the Forest: Feya’s Grief
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        Maisie’s emotions spiraled out of control. She felt anger, fear, sadness, jealousy, everything. Her brother died, and Melody and Feya were treating it like a joke. Maisie found him, for God’s Sake, on the floor of his bedroom, and the horror of that day would never leave.

        Melody attempted to calm her. “Maisie, please, I know it’s hard to believe, but—”

        “Shut up, Melody!” Rivers of tears escaped Maisie’s eyes. “My brother is dead! You and Feya have no right to do this to me!”

        “And you have no right to mistreat Feya,” Melody argued. “I don’t show myself often, May, unless I have to.”

        “Don’t call me that!” Maisie thought about punching her. “There is no such thing as ghosts!”

        “I’m not a ghost, even though that’s my title, but a spirit—a spirit who doesn’t want you and Feya to go down the same path as me.” Melody returned to the piano and sat on the stool, placing her hands on her thighs. “You don’t have to believe me, Maisie. I just want to be your friend.”

        “Well, look somewhere else!” Spit sprayed from Maisie’s lips. “I never want to see you again, Melody. And stay away from Feya! She doesn’t deserve you.”

        “I’m not trying to take her from you. Honest.” Melody lifted the piano’s lid. “I’m merely teaching her how to stand up for herself.”

        “I’m only going to say this once,” Maisie threatened, rubbing her eyes. “If you ever come between Feya and me again, I’m calling Security. We don’t need people like you wandering around Coronado, saying you’re a make-believe spirit. I’m never getting my brother back, so you can stop trying.” With that, she left Melody and returned brokenhearted to hers and Feya’s room.

        Maisie and Feya silently ate breakfast in the food court just outside the Convention Center the following morning. They each wore their Summit 2023 nametags—Daisy, a bow on her head.

        Maisie reached for Feya’s bandaged wrist, but she pulled away.

        She bit into her sausage and flipped her chair. Talk about stuck-up!

        “Feya, I’m sorry,” Maisie tried again. “I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

        “Let’s just get through this first session, and then I’m looking for Melody,” Feya said. At least she wasn’t ghosting Maisie completely. However, she made herself clear to Melody. Maisie needed a way to distract Feya from her.

        They went to the main Coronado Ballroom for their session, which had rows of chairs and a large projector screen. Maisie and Feya chose the first row but didn’t sit beside each other. Maisie sat on one end, Feya on the other.

        While it felt nice to be around other queer couples to Maisie, that didn’t change the fact that she and Feya were fighting. She wanted to participate in the session, which was about what it meant to be queer and peoples’ experience with their identity, but Maisie couldn’t do it without Feya. It looked like she couldn’t, either. Neither of them talked during that whole hour and a half.

        As per her words, Feya hustled to quiet Veracruz after the session.

        Maisie followed because even though they were fighting, she still loved her fairy.

        “Melody?” Feya called, approaching the piano. “Melody?”

        “Quiet, Feya!” Maisie hissed. “We’re inside.”

        “Where is she, Maisie?” Feya faced her with an angry look, but Maisie also saw grief. “What did you say to her?”

        “Um…” Maisie attempted to think of a lie, but her heart snapped when Feya sobbed suddenly.

        She dropped to her knees and buried her face.

        “Feya, what’s wrong?” Maisie hurried to her and kneeled.

        Daisy snuggled close while Maisie hugged Feya.

        “She was my best friend,” she wept, tears streaming down her cheeks. “And Melody reminds me so much of her.”

        “Victoriya?” Oh, who was Maisie kidding? Of course, Feya was talking about Victoriya.

        “You weren’t there when Mom and Dad told me,” she added, chewing her thumb. “‘Feya, Victoriya’s village was bombed last night. We’re sorry.’ She was my best friend, and I loved her. Please, Maisie, give Melody a chance. We need her.”

        Maisie wanted to, but her emotions stopped her. What if Feya fell for the so-called ghost and left her? That would be as heartbreaking as Matthew and Victoriya combined. At the same time, though, Feya had to work through her own grief. If what Melody told Maisie was true, then…

        “Maisie? Feya?”

        Maisie and Feya jumped at Melody’s voice and looked up.

        She hovered over them, hands behind her dress.

        Daisy’s tail wagged. She trotted to Melody and placed her paws on her right shin.

        Melody picked her up. “Hey there, little one.”

        Maisie arched her brows. “What are you doing here, Melody? I thought I told you—”

        “You did, but before we make it official”—Melody handed Daisy to Feya—“I want to show you something.” She helped Feya stand and brushed the tears from her eyes. Afterward, she glanced from her to Maisie. “Come with me, girls. We’re going to where I died.”

0