Chapter Shaggy Dog: Maya
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        When Maisie returned to the Dig Site, she sweated so much that she wondered if it was because of the heat or her nervousness. It was likely both. She found Feya sitting by the poolside, her legs in the water.

        She flicked her right foot’s big toe, scoffed, and twisted her neck.

        “Feya…” Maisie fiddled with her fingers. “I talked to Melody, and, well… I see now why you like her so much.” She paused before letting the truth slide. “You don’t deserve a friend like me, but someone like Victoriya. You like Melody because she reminds you of her. She never bullied you, unlike me, and I’m sorry.”

        Feya turned to her. “Maisie, it’s not that I think you’re a bad friend; I just want you to allow me to prove I can care for myself. How can I ski again if you don’t let me practice?”

        She had a point there, but after what happened to her last month…

        “Feya, I’m scared,” Maisie admitted, rubbing her eyes. “What if you end up in the ICU again?”

        “That was a freak accident, May.” Feya pulled her legs out of the pool and brushed off her sarong. “It didn’t happen because of my leg. Milo escaped, and I chased him.”

        “Wait, you chased him?” Maisie knew Milo escaped the day of Feya’s accident, but she didn’t realize Feya pulled the Daisy move on him, too. Was that really how much she loved animals?

        Feya stood before her. “I care about you, Maisie, and I know how much you love Milo. I couldn’t let him run away. We saw the bridge but didn’t know it was rotten.”

        “Feya, thank you.” Maisie hugged her. “Not only are you a fairy of optimism but also a fairy of animals.” She released her and gripped her arms. “I promise I will treat you better. We didn’t come to Summit to fight but to understand we’re not alone.”

        Feya giggled. “Does this mean you’ll let Melody help us? You don’t have to believe she’s a spirit, May. I merely want you to understand that she’s fighting her own battle. Remember”—she flicked Maisie’s nose—“sometimes moving on just takes a little bit of courage.”

        “I love you, Feya,” Maisie whimpered, hugging her again. “I love you so much.”

        “I love you, too,” she whispered.

        It looked like things were finally getting better.

        Maisie grabbed her and Feya life vests from the pool’s rack and helped Feya put hers on. Afterward, she took her to the path that led to the Dig Site’s water slide.

        They followed the switchbacks inside the plants and slowly hiked up the hill.

        Maisie stopped and let Feya take a quick breather. “Take your time, Fey. The pool doesn’t close until 11:00.”

        “Thank you, Maisie.” Feya sat on a step and searched the area. “Hey, where’s Melody?”

        “I’m not sure.” Maisie allowed a few children to cut in front of her and Feya. “She was a little upset when I left the bridge.”

        “Did she tell you… you know?”

        Maisie nodded. “She did.”

        “I thought so.” Feya set her hands in her lap. “She told me yesterday when I went to look for her. It’s horrible what her family and the CP did to her.”

        “Just shows that the Orlando shooting was no accident.” Maisie tilted her head. “We need to find a way to help her. Return the favor.”

        “I agree,” Feya said, reaching for Maisie. “But what can we do, May? That was ten years ago.”

        She helped her up. “We’ll think of something… together. But for now, the water slide’s calling.”

        Maisie and Feya got in line behind a few children and their parents. The overgrowth in the area provided Maisie with much-needed shade. She saw a jaguar statue in the flower bed on her and Feya’s rights and picked up the scent of banana sunscreen.

        “So, here’s the plan.” Maisie smiled at Feya. “I’ll go down first and meet you at the bottom.”

        “I’m nervous, Maisie.” Feya tightened her life jacket. “I can’t swim yet with my leg.”

        Maisie pecked her tanned cheek. “Which is why you have the life vest. I won’t go anywhere, girl, until you’re down. We’ll look for Melody after the slide. How does that sound?”

        “Promise?” Feya inquired. Did her green eyes sparkle?

        “I promise.” Maisie kissed her again. She moved forward in line and soon stood behind the water slide. She waited for the lifeguard’s cue and said, “All right, Feya, I’ll see you at the bottom,” when he gave it to her.

        Maisie hopped onto her back and let the water slide catch her. Even with the life vest, she whizzed down it and whooped. Maisie slid through the jungle—she felt like she had entered another world—and saw another jaguar statue above her. She heard birds and imagined the jaguar’s roar.

        The slide’s base came into view. Maisie cheered one last time before splashing into the pool. “Yes!” she yelled, lifting her arms.

        The lifeguard watching the slide giggled.

        Maisie moved to the side and waited for Feya. Before long, she heard her:

        “Whoa!” Feya skidded across the pool’s surface like a spider and splashed Maisie. “Maisie!” she called.

        Maisie free-styled to her and grasped her arm. “You did it, girl! You did it!”

        “I did it!” Feya twirled Maisie in a circle. “And it was all thanks to you, May!”

        “No.” Maisie pinched Feya’s cheek. “We did it together. Let’s start calling ourselves Team Maya.”

        “Maya?” Feya laughed. “That sounds like a ship name, girl, but I dig it.”

        “Yes!” Maisie twirled her that time. “We’re Team Maya! We’re Team Maya!”

        “Easy, girl.” Feya remained close to her while she and Maisie headed toward their chairs. “Let’s go find Melody. Once we do, we can do the slide again.”

        Maisie hooted and covered her mouth.

        “What’s so funny?” Feya inquired. “All I said was that we can do the slide again after we find Melody.”

        Maisie chuckled again. “I’m sorry, girl. You don’t want to know.”

        This was what happened when one read too much Tessa Bailey.

0