Chapter Toby Tyler: The Lady of the Lake
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        Feya knew and did not know how she winded up on the edge of Lago Dorado. Watching Melody and Maisie play volleyball and slide across the sand dampened her spirits to the extreme. She remembered everything she had lost in the past year and couldn’t handle it anymore. Why couldn’t Melody bring Victoriya back if she was a spirit? Feya couldn’t care less about her leg; she merely wanted Victoriya, and if that meant jumping into Lago Dorado…

        “I’ll get Security,” a Guest behind her said.

        Next came Maisie’s voice: “No. Let me talk to her.”

        “She’s standing on the edge of a lake!”

        “And I’m her girlfriend and don’t want to cause a scene.” Maisie shuffled her feet. Feya heard a slight ringing when she grabbed the railing. Maisie’s hand appeared beside her. “Feya, you don’t want to do this.”

        She didn’t, but if it was the only way to see Victoriya again…

        “I know you miss Victoriya,” Maisie continued, “but please, girl, she wouldn’t want you to do this. I pulled this same stunt four months after Matthew died and regret it.”

        “You haven’t lost everything—your home, best friend, and leg,” Feya argued, sniffing. “I’m never going back to Ukraine, May.”

        “Don’t say that. You will. You said last month that war doesn’t last forever. Your roar, Feya. Remember your roar.”

        Feya loosened her grip.

        “I have a wonderful grief counselor,” Maisie explained. “When we return to Flamingo, we can schedule an appointment to see him together. We’ve started a new treatment that helps clear bad memories.”

        “Has it helped?”

        “Tremendously.” Maisie tapped Feya’s wrist. “Feya, please. Climb back over, and we’ll get ready for the seminar.”

        She didn’t move and thought about Maisie’s words.

        Daisy whined and brushed Feya’s good leg.

        She peered out to the lake, and her emerald eyes widened.

        Melody floated in the gentle water and observed Feya, mysterious as ever. Did the Guests see her? What about Maisie?

        “That’s it,” the Guest from before said, “I’m calling 9-1-1.”

        “No,” Maisie stated. “I know my girlfriend. She won’t do this when her friend is watching her.”

        So, was it confirmed that she saw Mel? Feya did hear the surprise in Maisie’s voice, but she remained calm.

        “I’m sorry, May,” Feya whispered, shakily turning on the bridge. She started to climb, but her prosthetic foot slipped, and Feya screamed.

        “Feya!” Maisie dropped to her knees and caught her through the bars.

        Daisy barked, and pounding feet said the Guests on the bridge had rushed off to find help.

        Maisie tried pulling Feya up, but she was too weak.

        “Maisie, please,” Feya sobbed, tears streaming down her cheeks, “I can’t swim.”

        A crowd must have formed because Maisie said, “Stay back. I know what I’m doing.” She inhaled. “Feya… Do you trust me?”

        “What are you talking about, May?” Feya questioned, sweating. She kicked her legs and stared into Maisie’s eyes.

        “Do you trust me?”

        There was a pause before Feya answered, “I do.”

        “Then kick as hard as you can.” With that, Maisie let go, and Feya dropped into the warm lake.

        Splash!

        Underwater, Feya saw nothing but a murky lake and the occasional fish. She kicked and reached for the surface.

        Another splash sounded. Maisie appeared before her and grabbed Feya. Did she seriously jump in after her? Feya expected and did not expect that. It looked like Daisy jumped, too. Feya barely saw her little doggy paddle.           

        A third figure appeared next to Feya just as she started running out of air. Still dressed in her flowing, white dress, which now sported a see-through cape, Melody nodded and dragged the girls to the surface.

        They burst their heads out and coughed.

        Feya felt Melody take her left leg underwater. She kept it steady, allowing her and Maisie to tread more easily.

        “Maisie…” Feya spat water out of her lungs. “You jumped in after me?”

        Maisie blushed. “I had to. You’re my girlfriend. Besides, Melody wanted this.”

        “So, you saw her, too?”

        “I did.”

        “Arf! Arf!” Daisy paddled to Feya and circled her like she was a shark.

        “Daisy, you, too?” Feya inquired. “Why do you love me so much?”

        “I think you know why,” Maisie joked. “Come on”—she pointed at the Cabanas beach across the lake—“let’s make our way to the Cabanas.”

        “But’s that so far, May.”

        Sirens interrupted Feya’s thoughts. A water police boat emerged on the lake and headed for them.

        “This is the water police,” they announced in a megaphone over a gust of wind. “Stay calm, girls, and we’ll be there soon.”

        Maisie smirked and nudged Feya. “I think that’s our ride, Feya. Too bad. Lago Dorado beats the Dig Site any day.”

        Feya chuckled. “We need to thank Melody before they get here.”

        “I agree. Deep breath.”

        Maisie and Feya puffed out their cheeks and ducked underwater. Grins stretched across their faces.

        Melody released Feya and floated in front of them. Her auburn-colored hair and dress swayed like leaves during a breeze. She was a siren like none other—a spirit who reminded Feya of Victoriya. She did something stupid, but something beautiful came out of it.

        The police boat soon snuck up on the two, and Melody backed away. She smiled and waved. Her face read I’ll see y’all later.

        While she swam off, two officers hopped into the lake above Maisie and Feya.

        They did not divert their eyes from Melody’s empty area, even when the police helped them out of the lake onto the boat.

        Disney World magic was real, which meant a new adventure was beginning. Looking at Maisie’s face on the way to the beach, Feya knew her pearl had something up her sleeve.

        And it had to do with the Lady of the Lake.

0