#5 – Visitor
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Good morning. Have you slept enough?"

When the redhead approached with a disgustingly nice grin, Theo couldn't help but mutter suspiciously. In addition, he found himself waking up in a hospital bed.

"Who are you?"

"Louis Eliana Doyle, second-year at Leonia Academy."

Theo's brow twitched as the young man introduced himself, hinting at his thoughts. However, the quick recall of terrible recollections prompted him to groan.

"LIZZY, WHERE'S LIZZY???"

However, the young man delicately touched his lips with his index finger.

"Relax, we're in the hospital. We ensured your sister was safe by evacuating her immediately after she exited the house."

Theo felt an enormous sense of relief rush over his body. That being said, he couldn't let down his guard because the man in front of him was a student of Leonia.

"I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation for your unwavering support. My name is Theodore Morgan, and I am a Polaris Junior High student. Also, what is Leonia currently doing? How could a student like you have been present at that time?"

"Chill, I'll explain one by one." The young man tossed a stack of paperwork from his jacket in Theo's direction. "Remember that dude?"

A gasp escaped Theo's lips as his eyes widened in disbelief, his heart quickening its pace within his chest, his hands trembling ever so slightly as he beheld the picture on the document handed to him.

"Yes, of course. William Wilxes, the Freajan terrorist, was gunned down a week ago."

The young man with red hair noticed Theo's breath catch as he gazed at the picture. He felt a surge of fear as his heart raced. This figure had quite a reputation in the city, as it had a knack for causing nightmares that would haunt people for weeks. Theo's immediate reaction caught him off guard with the overwhelming trauma it unleashed.

"Let me clarify something: he did not die from being shot."

"Huh?"

"He died, deceived by someone he had trusted."

"Wait, what?"

Theo's confusion grew even more at the remark, his face displaying a clear bewilderment. His brow furrowed in deep thought, revealing the complexity of his inner musings.

Before continuing, Louis leaned back in his chair. "William Wilxes, a cunning Freajan Empire spy who managed to infiltrate Shanan's poorly guarded Southern sea route. He, just like any other Freajanians, was a regular man. However, a single individual managed to sow clashes among our law enforcement and military personnel exactly as he intended. William wreaked havoc by targeting eight police stations in the west and launching assaults on three military bases in the north within just two weeks, which led to him being labeled as a national criminal. He discreetly made his escape to the east, evading any detection.

"He struck again one week after disappearing for almost two weeks. Ten Leonia students were attacked, and unfortunately, one of them is in critical condition. Leonia stood up, as expected. A team of investigators, including the covert squad from the Security Division, was dispatched. We were able to find his tracks in just one week. Regrettably, upon our discovery of him concealed within an abandoned building on the outskirts of Argon..."

"He was killed, right?" Theo pressed on.

"His head blew up. I don't feel like explaining further, and I don't think you do either."

"Yeah, true," Theo grumbled, feeling a sense of unease as he recalled what had happened there. A crowd gathered, and the perpetrator met a violent end. If he had been there, he would likely have experienced significant trauma. "Suicide bombing to preserve information?"

"That's what we thought, but we were wrong. There was no indication of any bomb or explosive material found on William's body."

"Then what?"

"We believe that an etre was the cause."

"Etre?"

"Yes."

"From Freajan?"

"That's exactly what we're investigating." The young man took a few additional sheets of non-confidential investigation paper. Some words were underlined, and the deduction was rewritten in parentheses below the text. "The location of William Wilxes was only discovered once the Leonia team joined the search party. It can be inferred that William's death did not involve any police, military, or Leonia personnel. Therefore, it can be deduced that William's assassination was carried out by his comrades or team as a means of controlling information. However, we carried out multiple investigations based on the content provided."

Having read just one paragraph, Theo flung the papers back to Louis.

"Why.... are you showing me that information?"

"Those aren't private information. It will be extensively reported if everything is resolved."

"But it hasn't. The information you share lacks concrete evidence and should be kept confidential, as they are mere speculations. You want me to take part!"

"Exactly," Louis replied, not disputing a single word of what Theo had said. He looked away and gathered the papers that had fallen to the floor. Once everything was in place, he continued speaking further. "Upon our arrival, William Wilxes had met his demise. Although we could not interrogate him, we could thoroughly search his belongings. Through our investigation, we learned that one of William's acquaintances remained loose within the city."

"..... And that was the person who burned down my village?"

"That's right. We have successfully identified the arsonist as Donn Marivaldi, a dangerous criminal who has caused significant damage by destroying fourteen buildings across five locations."

"Donn... Marivaldi?"

"He's not from Freajan. He's a Shanan criminal. I have no idea how William and he crossed paths." Louis tossed another page of papers to Theo after turning over the information sheets in his hands. "Marivaldi has been on the run for the past four years. He commits random arsons, but they are so well-organized that it is difficult to track him down. Despite their best efforts, the police officers tragically lost their lives while attempting to apprehend him. He has only experienced bleeding at the hands of one person."

Theo could easily expect the direction this was taking.

"That's me, right?"

"Yes. You are the only one. In addition to staying alive, you attacked Marivaldi in a way he didn't expect. That's quite remarkable. I must say, what you did that time was really helpful for us."

It was a brief moment of relief for Theo, but he quickly became sure there were some ulterior motives behind those words. He had finished reading the investigation paper. He might truthfully claim that the investigation was thorough, but that doesn't mean it piqued his interest.

"Look, I'm glad that what I did helped my sister, but this isn't the right time to ask me to join your detective team just because I did something to help her. I'm not unique; my reason for being is simple. Anyone who believes they have anything of value to protect would do the same." Theo returned Louis his investigation report. "Sorry, but I'm still unable to take you up on your offer. I can care for my sister alone, without any help from others."

Louis took his time before responding. His focus remained on the informational document that Theo had returned to him, and he came to a complete standstill. He glanced over the report's contents again, a contemplative expression forming on his features, and a small laugh escaped his lips.

"Saving your sister, eh?" He carefully set the paper on Theo's nightstand after thoroughly rearranging it. The atmosphere changed. "Well, now that it has reached this point, let me share the truth with you."

Something was amiss, and Louis's behavior caught Theo's attention. "What truth?"

"Your previous actions, including breaking through the village's fire barrier and storming the house in search of your sister, were fruitless. Your sister would still be alive even if you didn't do that."

Theo, who had seemed uninterested in what Louis was discussing, raised an eyebrow.

"What?"

"Think about this, isn't it strange?" The young man spoke out, his tone tinged with analytical curiosity. "Donn Marivaldi, a person known for engaging in covert operations, has been seen lingering in your town for quite some time. The meticulous planning and execution of his secretive operations centered around creating a fire fortress that poses a formidable challenge to even the most experienced firefighters are undeniably worrisome. In addition, the uncovering of a disturbing find—a trench filled with the bodies of twelve firefighters and eight local civilians—highlights Marivaldi's mercilessness. Considering his record of hostility, it is worth considering the reasoning behind his perplexing choice of frightening a child and compelling them to seek refuge until you arrive. What use does this conduct serve in the larger scheme of Marivaldi's evil plans?"

Theo took a deep breath. He had never delivered such a clear expression of surprise before. As he considered the consequences of the event, his pupils widened.

"No way...."

"I'm sure you had the same thoughts. Unlike in previous years, Marivaldi refrained from burning down Herike Village on a whim. He arrived with a clear goal in mind, worked quickly to complete it, and removed any roadblocks that stood in his way. Who knows why, but it's likely involving your sister."

Theo struggled to find a counterargument to Louis' statement. He found himself at a loss for words. After hearing Louis' explanation, he started considering previously ignored options.

Donn Marivaldi could have hid in any building, so why did he pick mine?

He made another attempt to think. The house wasn't fireproof, and a massive fire was raging nearby. Houses on his block were very close to one another, and the streets around were quite narrow. Given the circumstances, that area was highly vulnerable to fire. Oddly, Marivaldi chose to hide there, and even more strange is that he let Lizzy remain.

Theo was unable to provide any valid counter-arguments to Louis. This was all he could muster: his sister could be in danger.

"That.... makes sense."

"You finally understand," Louis exclaimed, feeling relieved. Just ignore Leonia's invitation to come in; our police officers were planning to give you a witness protection letter. We wanted to know why your sister was targeted. Should you accept the protection option, you will be kept under constant observation in a designated area. In the event of any mishap, you will be subject to continuous monitoring and surveillance. It may be necessary for your sister to remain isolated until her safety is confirmed. You may need to transfer to a different school, and it's possible that a few of your classmates could be undercover security personnel."

Theo scowled once again. ".... Although it's safe, I must admit it's quite unpleasant."

"Yeah, right!" Louis cheerfully clapped his hands. "I came to meet you first. I fully support the Defense Department's protection policy, but I would suggest doing something else. Theodore Morgan, you have exceptional talent. Not many individuals possess the courage to enter a blazing village like you did, let alone survive an encounter with Donn Marivaldi. That's why I'm presenting you with an opportunity: you can become a student at Leonia, join our team, gain knowledge about Freajan and the terrorists, and take part in some specialized operations, all while ensuring the safety of your sister without restricting her freedom. What do you think?"

Theo's silence revealed a disruption of competing ideas brewing in his mind. He knew the situation was dire, but he held on to the vow he had made to their mother—a vow to protect Lizzy with his life. Still, the choice not to enter Leonia weighed heavily on his mind, a persistent doubt that dampened his determination.

As Theo took a moment to collect himself, he reiterated his dedication to his family's welfare. With each stride forward, he drew courage from his profound link with Lizzy and the precious commitment he had taken in front of his mother. Without giving in to the pressure of the situation, he stayed firm, driven by a sense of duty and a strong will to keep his word, no matter what.

"Your offer, did it include a safe place for Lizzy to stay while I'm in Leonia?"

"With the maid we prepared."

Theo had already made up his mind.

"Good enough, I'll go. If it means you can keep my sister safe, I'll do anything you ask.
"Great, we have a deal!"

Louis reached out his hand. A broad hand with noticeable veins, rather pale as well, but no obvious scars of any type, in contrast to Theo's perception of this man's actions as the head of the secret squad. As they finalized the agreement, Theo grinned and returned it with a strong handshake.

"Deal!"

"Alright, then," Louis stated as he took out a card from his pocket, "here's contact info, not Leonia's. If you run into any issues, give that number a call. If you have not changed your mind, we will meet at the indicated location next Saturday at 10 a.m."

"Got it."

Reaching across the table, Louis retrieved the investigation paper. He rose, splayed his arms, and hummed like he'd just won the lottery.

"Well, that's it for now..." He snapped his fingers, and the see-through dome that encircled them twisted. All five of Theo's senses returned instantly. Outside noises, the pleasant aroma of flowers in the corner of the room, and even the light appeared to lift the mood.

"You put me in a room with Etre!" The surprise took Theo aback, but Louis just smiled back at him.

"Well, you know, those are still private information. Sorry, but I can't let anyone else eavesdrop."

Theo, who had seen through the deception from the beginning, could do nothing but chuckle.

"You sly red-furred fox!."

"I accept the flattery," he remarked as he took another paper. Unlike the white pages of earlier studies, this time, the paper was colored. And here we have a copy of something much more delicate than the last one. It'll burn out later this afternoon. Read it to find out why I had trouble setting up a quiet dome in this room."

"Are you sure you're giving this to me?"

"You need to be aware of our opponents. Alright, catch you later."

The door softly shut, leaving Theo by himself. After a long while of staring at the door, he laughed as he thought back to the strange conversations that had happened shortly after he had woken up.

"Hehe, secret stuff, huh?"

After reading just one phrase from the introduction, his face turned pallid again, resonating with the surrounding walls.

"Seriously... LOST?"

0