#8 – Entrance Examination: Preparing
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Whoa, we're really in Hordrigg now?" Theo asked in amazement.

"What do you imagine Hordrigg to be?" Louis replied with the same dull face he had throughout the road.

They strolled down a sidewalk covered in lush green moss. Theo pondered why a place like Leonia had mossy sidewalks as if no one had ever cleaned them. However, as they continued their walk, he began to grasp the concept a bit more. The road's netting was adorned with a vibrant display of yellow leaves that had softly fallen from the trees. The leaves were damp, and the net continued to drip a bit of water, indicating that it had rained in Hordrigg yesterday. Theo inhaled deeply, savoring the refreshing scent of petrichor that filled his senses. After spending four long hours driving on such a busy road, it was a welcome relief.

Throughout his fifteen years, Theo had only known Hordrigg City by its name. Weekly news reports on Leonia were common, but no one had ever talked explicitly about Hordrigg. Hordrigg was the biggest city in Shanan, yet it wasn't a capital or an economic hub. To put it roughly, Leonia Academy's existence there determined Hordrigg's notoriety. Nevertheless, Hordrigg quickly became a popular subject of discussion, particularly as the new semester began. Theo had always pictured Hordrigg as just another bustling city filled with towering buildings and packed crowds. However, his perspective shifted when he noticed the city still had a sizable forest.

"I thought Hordrigg would be like Tokyo or Hong Kong. Skyscrapers with brilliant lights and people going about their daily activities," Theo expressed his awe.

"That's how it is in the capital, and I'm surprised you had the foresight to know how those cities worked. After all, it is 2051—40 years after the war." Louis gazed at Theo incredulously.

"I don't know; maybe it's because I paid attention to basic history class."

"I dozed not long after the teacher started explaining."

"There's no need to brag about how rotten you are, idiot," Rafi commented while listening to their talk. "All right, Theo, That's where the entrance exam for invited participants is."

Rafi led Theo along the track through the woodland. The air was so fresh that Theo took several deep breaths. It was far from the busy metropolis he had envisioned.

"Are the exams different for regular and invited participants?" Theo asked.

"There's a reason they refer to you as an invited participant, after all. This test is meant to see if you meet the requirements for an invitation.

"Does that imply it's harder?"

"A bit, but there won't be a written test beforehand. You will be completing some basic tasks in this forest later on. The results will be available immediately."

Theo thought it was a simple concept. It is similar to how most schools do admission exams. Students who have received an invitation must demonstrate their worth. If they fail to succeed, they will be eliminated. This meant that the impending test was going to be tough.

The entrance exam for the invited participants was conducted in Leonia's training forest, which is roughly 300 hectares in size. A swift-moving river and a forested landscape characterize the area. The woods were commonplace for second-year training and the new academic year's practical entrance exam. Of course, the level of difficulty changes every year.

"Whoa, this place is packed!" Theo could not control his excitement as he entered the busy square. A sea of faces surrounded him, each wearing a different expression. Some were nervous, while others were fidgety and impatient. People from all over Shanan gathered from the western border town to the eastern coastline.

"You think this is crowded?" Louis smirked. "You should've seen it during the regular participant selection."

"We've got twenty-six invitees this year," Rafi added, nodding in accord, "four more than last year."

With a cheeky smile, Louis stated, "Let's wait and see if more pass this time."

"How many invitees made it through the exam last year?" Theo enquired.

Louis paused for a bit before saying, "Just nine."

Theo's eyes widened in disbelief. The invitation selection exam proved to be more stringent than he had anticipated. He knew it would be harder than a typical exam, but he wasn't prepared for such a low passing percentage. Being an invited participant didn't make things any easier; on the contrary, it appeared to make things more difficult.

"Don't worry; my instincts never fail," Louis interjected abruptly, trying to ease the tension.

"Yeah, I know..." Theo replied, feeling somewhat reassured.

"Now, I have a suggestion for you," Louis started, but Rafi cut him off.

"Are you sure you want to tell him more?"

Louis paused briefly before responding, "Only a little. He's got the rest to decide." Leaning close to Theo, he whispered, "Keep an eye out for anyone named Venneri."

"Huh?" Theo was bewildered.

Of course, Theo was bewildered. However, Louis did not elaborate further. With a gentle push from his long arms, Theo found himself engulfed by the crowd. When he glanced back, he caught Louis, and Rafi broadly smiled.

"Pass, Theo."

Theo was filled with confusion. The information he got was cryptic and lacked any context or explanation. He knew the name Venneri but couldn't see why he should be concerned. Still, if two of Leonia's secret squad members warned him, he decided to believe their word.

"Alright, see you later!" Theo blurted out.

He sprinted ahead of the crowd as Louis and Rafi turned to exit the testing center.

The crowd was rowdy, with everyone tightly packed together. Theo didn't know anyone there, and nobody knew Theo either. Nobody carried anything heavy. Neither the official invitation nor Louis himself indicated anything specific about what to bring to the test. Nobody paid attention until a woman entered with two men dressed in full suits. The noise subsided quickly, capturing everyone's attention in one place. The woman confidently faced the crowd, with the forest behind her. Her cheek has a triangle tattoo on it. Two taps on the tattoo preceded her words.

"Hello, everyone. Congratulations on reaching the Leonia Academy entrance exam. My name is Sophia Greene, and I will be proctoring your exam today."

Applause erupted when she introduced herself. The woman spoke with a gentle and soothing voice that felt cozy on the ears. Although she wasn't using a loudspeaker, her voice had the same volume as one. She's an arcane, and she can make her voice louder.

"Alright, allow me to provide you with some information about the test you'll be taking," the woman continued once the applause subsided. "You are no longer required to prepare for written tests, yet your exams will be more challenging than those of an ordinary examinee.

"This forest is your ground. A serene river meanders through a vast expanse of lush forest. Prepare for an epic showdown as you take on this entire section of the forest for the next four hours. You will be handed a sheet of paper with a map, a riddle, and a symbol. With just the riddle as a guide, you must locate an item whose symbol matches the one on the paper. Remember, you only have four hours to explore the entire

forest, and you'll be disqualified if you don't finish in time. Sounds like a piece of cake, doesn't it? Yes, it is! That's why we have set up enemies you can encounter as obstacles to make the trials even more challenging. Rest assured, you will only suffer minor injuries, not tragedies."You should also follow the rules. Nine regulations must be noted to prevent disqualification. First, everyone will have four hours to complete the test. Second, etre can be used to travel farther, defeat enemies, and solve riddles. Third, you can't hurt other players by using etre. Fourth, it is acceptable for individuals to collaborate, particularly when solving the same puzzle. Fifth, you could expect actual pain but far faster healing from any wounds. Sixth, there is no death; participants are free to leave if they lack the necessary strength. Seventh, disqualification shall be enforced immediately for any rule violation. Eighth, you will be disqualified the moment you leave the forest area. Ninth, the results of each participant's actions will affect the overall score. Alright, that's all there is to it. Just take the exam, follow the instructions, and you'll pass!"

As the participants' enthusiasm spread, the tranquillity of the forest was quickly shattered. Their contagious energy motivated them to charge ahead, and the resounding clamor of their cheers reverberated through the forest. It was like the crowd's enthusiasm had brought the whole forest to life, and everyone there was caught up in the thrilling moment. Maybe Theo was the only one who thought about what Louis had said.

"Oh, there's one more thing. My apologies!" Mrs. Sophia's sudden interjection brought the commotion to a halt. Because some laws and methods are hard to implement in real life, the exam will be given a helping hand this time. Is that correct, Mr. Emmett?"

"That's right, Mrs Sophia."

An aide to Sophia Greene advanced a few paces. Everyone was watching, and nobody was looking away. He exuded a strong sense of discipline and professionalism.

"This exam employs a no-death system, which is challenging to apply in practice. Also, without dozens of inspectors stationed right in the exam arena, an automated disqualification mechanism isn't viable. Consequently, Leonia opted for a simpler approach: using Etre as the test medium."

The man lifted his left hand with index and middle fingers pointed skyward. They were all riveted, but only a few understood what he would do next.

"Here are some helpful tips: If you're looking to dig into the depths of etre, this supreme technique will be the most difficult to master."

Within the palm of the left hand that was held erect and pointed upward, a billowing black mist swirled. When the participants began to show nervousness, Emmett immediately calmed them down.

"Rest assured. This technique has been designed with your safety in mind. Pay attention, and try to get this down pat before you graduate. Divine Realm: Ideal City Illusion."

A burst of darkness erupted, shrouding everybody involved. Everyone yelled in terror, but silence soon fell. Neither light nor sound could be detected. In that one split second, all five senses froze. But when all fell silent, words were audible to everybody.

"I wish you the best of luck."

0