Prologue
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue

 

“Not again! I thought I had it this time…”

“Nyktos, what are you doing out there?”

“What? Nothing!” 

A lie, of course. I was doing so much more than nothing. My body loomed over another’s; its heart stopped, and its fur turned to dark, ashen color as my hands pulled away from the corpse. The air was heavy with the scent of blood, causing my nose to wrinkle. I thought I’d be used to the smell of death by now, but I will never be used to it. The smell of death was heartbreaking. I wish I could avoid it. However, being the embodiment of death itself, I am bound to unavoidable issues. I sometimes felt like a necromancer, talking with corpses and other underworld creatures. 

The body that rested below me was not one that I had caused to dissipate but one that my Father had brought to the underworld, hoping its soul would finally be at peace. I was trying to talk to it and discover their story from the realm it came from. I was a scientist, in a way. Not quite the scientist that one in the Mirrored World would assume, unfortunately. I am the embodiment of death, and my name is Nyktos. I was born from bones my Father had constructed, piecing me together and bringing me to the underworld to help his rule. However, since he had bestowed my ‘power,’ I’ve been unable to control it very well. I wasn’t here to rule. I was more here to help him run to the other magical realms so that he may be ‘free.’

But we are never free.

With the demon cities watching our growing city, we must be cautious and weary of whom we allow into our town and how we can rule it. We are meant to grow and combine with allies of other races - whether angels or kitsune races. Overall, the Mirrored World was in a consistent battle to gain power. I hated it. Between being pulled between realms to a significant event and trying to calm the demons and souls in my city, it wasn’t easy.

But because ‘father’ was always gone, I had no choice but to rule and compete in different battles against other kingdoms. I was the ‘Princess’ of the Underworld and the Grim Reaper of all types of entities. I was a busy woman. 

I hated it.

I hated the fact that I was the one in charge of all this. 

I guess it was typical for the embodiment of death to ‘hate things.’

A frown cast on my face as I sat on my knees, rubbing my hands over the beast below me. “I wish I could get this right,” I murmured as I snapped my fingers and caused the body to disappear into thin air. Clenching the black dress laced with red, I took a deep breath and pushed myself up. I dusted off my dress, fixed it, and tied my hair back into the ponytail that Dad has always asked me to keep because it’s ‘neat.’  I glanced over my body in the mirror, reflecting the tiny little demon I was. With eyes the color of blood, I stared at my body. I had just turned twenty-one in human years, and I was excited. I was grown, and I was mature. Mostly.

I was pale, similar to that of a vampire. I might be a vampire because blood is fantastic—to eat. There is not so much smell. Only sometimes—usually around the blood moon, which isn’t much here in the underworld. 

“Come along, Nyktos! You’re going to miss your Father’s announcement!” The voice from the other side of the door called to me.

“Do I really have to go, Zalen?” I asked him, whining a tad bit.

Within a sudden poof, a body appeared on the other side of my door. I could see him in the mirror, tall and handsome, with dark hair and red eyes like mine. He was one of my servants and my ‘protector,’ as my dad calls it. In reality, he was just my keeper - ensuring I didn’t get into trouble or leave the castle when I wasn’t needed. Confusing right? I was the embodiment of death, and I wasn’t allowed outside my castle - even though I could off anything that I could come into contact with. Perhaps that’s why I was kept inside - so I didn’t unleash ‘chaos into the world and start a war.’ If ‘dad’ hadn’t cursed me, I could enjoy my life like any other. I was a goddess to the underworld, but I was trapped in the hands of our Ruling Lord, Lord Inei, my Father, all because he didn’t trust me. 

The man nodded and crossed his arms, raising an eyebrow in my direction. His red eyes scanned me, and he sighed. “You are a mess,” He commented, shaking his head. “What were you doing? Why does it smell like death in here? Nyktos… What did we say about practicing your blood magic?!”

I groaned and threw my head back, “Only to practice with you or Lord Inei.”

“Correct, please do not allow this to happen again. Your Father will be disappointed,” He sighed, shaking his head. “Honestly, in the state we are with regarding the other rulers? You’re lucky you are the Princess-”

“Second in Command, I don’t like ‘princess,’” I spat at him.

Fine - Second in Command, Nyktos. Now let’s go,” he agreed. Zalan was a well-behaved demon, doing as he was told and consistently trying to stay by my side. He listened and followed commands as I had shared them, but if it contradicted my Father’s command, he would have to refuse mine. He’s been around for a while, nearly ‘born’ around the same time I was. One could say we are the same age; if not, he’s a couple of human years older than I am. But he was a handsome demon. His hair was black as midnight like mine, and his face was chiseled to perfection nearly. I always found it interesting what kind of form some of these demons and souls take as their own - because it’s always different. Once you take a form, it’s hard to take another form unless you are strong enough - or have the money or power. 

I rechecked myself in the mirror before following Zalan down the long corridor of Obsidian Citadel - my home. Our home was beautiful, a very nice and neatly made castle nearly perfect at every corner - due to Father’s power and authority over other demons in our lands. We are one of the two most vital underworld cities and the top ten of numerous other realms. We are power. We are the Underworld’s Keepers - the Underworld’s Embodiment’s of Death. 

The inside of the Obsidian Citadel is as imposing and foreboding as its exterior. The castle walls are made of black stone and obsidian. They are adorned with intricate carvings that depict scenes of darkness and despair. The halls are dimly lit, with flickering torches casting eerie shadows on the walls.

As one enters the castle, they are greeted by a grand hall stretching into the darkness above. The hall is filled with shadows that dance and flicker in the torchlight, giving the impression of movement in the stillness. A massive throne sits at the end of the hall, with stairs leading up to it, a testament to my power and authority.

Beyond the grand hall, the castle is a labyrinth of twisting corridors and dark chambers. The rooms vary in size and purpose, ranging from elegant ballrooms to small, cramped cells where prisoners are held. Everywhere one looks, there are signs of dark magic, with ancient runes etched into the walls and floors and strange symbols carved into the stone.

The air inside the castle is thick with the scent of brimstone and sulfur, a reminder of the dark forces that reside within. The castle is said to be home to many secrets and ancient artifacts hidden away in the depths of its many chambers. But those who seek to uncover these secrets do so at their peril, for the Obsidian Citadel is a place of great power, and those who dare to challenge it may not return.

As I enter the grand hall of the Obsidian Citadel, my long black hair cascades down my back like a waterfall of midnight. My piercing red eyes survey the room, taking in every detail with a glance. I am dressed in a flowing black dress with intricate red lace that traces the edges of the fabric. The dress speaks of my power and authority, a symbol of the darkness that resides within me. 

As I walk, my elegant form exudes an aura of dark magic that hangs in the air like a heavy mist. The faint scent of brimstone and sulfur surrounds me, a reminder of the power I wield and the sacrifices I have made to attain it.

My steps are purposeful and confident, each one echoing through the grand hall with a resounding boom. The room is filled with my loyal subjects, all of whom bow in reverence as I make my way to my throne at the head of the room. I sit next to my Father, sitting on his throne, staring at the crowd in the room. My eyes scanned the room again, daring anyone to challenge my authority.

My Father’s presence was as dark as night with no moon; shadows did not dare cross this man. He was the underworld’s ruler, as I like to put it. Yeah, I was proud of him. The stories about his climb to power will always blow my mind. He wasn’t the most excellent man in all three worlds, but that didn’t stop him from climbing to the top to gain the power he was provided and put to use. 

My gaze flickered from my Father, Lord Inei, to my keeper, Zalan. I looked back into the crowd as my Father stood up to begin his speech.

“Underlings of Darkmere, you may stand,” Lord Inei’s voice boomed over the guests, giving them a hard stare. “I am Lord Inei, Lord of the Underworld, and this is my daughter, Nyktos, Goddess of Death.”

As he introduced me, I stood back up and gave a curtsy, as he had told me to do so. “I am Nyktos, Goddess of Death - the embodiment of death itself. I was created with the power of the underworld king, Lord Inei. He imbued me with his dark magic, making me an entity of unparalleled power and authority. From the moment of my creation, I was destined for greatness, to rule over the dark and foreboding realm of Darkmere with an iron fist. My power is vast and ancient, born from the depths of the underworld, and it is said that none can match my skill with the arcane arts. For I am Nyktos, born of the power of Lord Inei himself, and my rule over the darkness is absolute. I am your Goddess, and you will bow to me.”

I had gone over this script numerous times with my Father until it was perfect - as everything to him has to be perfect. It was awful and left a bad taste in my mouth, but I was very proud of my power. I looked up to my Father at times. I wish his rules were a bit different and not so cruel, but there was only so much I could do. He could destroy me with a flick of his wrists, and I’m sure his guards would stay loyal to him. I had nothing compared to him - I had Zalan. That was it. 

“You may sit,” I told my guests and guards, giving them one final bow. 

“As you may all know, I have agreed and created a contract with another realm, and I will be moving to rule them - their army is massive compared to ours. As their Leader, I will be able to continue watching their army grow stronger-”

“What?” I gasped, interrupting my Father with a gasp.

This was his announcement? He was leaving?!

“Ahem, as I was saying, since my daughter is the Goddess of Death, she will be named the new Ruler of Darkmere and continue to rule as I have done for many years,” My Father announced, giving me a silencing glare.

“You can’t leave. I can’t rule a kingdom!” I hissed at him, feeling rather sad.

“Nyktos, I highly suggest you sit down and do not show weakness in front of our patrons,” The Lord gave me the coldest glare I’ve ever gotten from him. He turned toward me and forced me to sit down - muting me as he did so. My Father had complete control over me as he created me. You could say I was bound to him by contract. I could feel my head screaming with fear - I was not ready for this. I couldn’t even contain my hands! We just discussed me not ruling Darkmere, and now he was suddenly turning around to give me control?! 

“I will be entrusting a Dear Friend of mine, Zalan, to help Nyktos keep Darkmere in peace as I have been training him for these past twenty-three years. You will treat him with the utmost dignity and respect that one can ask of - you will treat him as your Lord as you did me. If anyone objects, they will be turned into dust. I will be leaving to join Grimhaven by sundown tomorrow.” The Lord quickly bowed to our subjects before turning away from me.

I was stunned and staring at my hands as I gripped the dress bestowed upon me. My eyes widened with fear. Sure, I have had practice being a Goddess or Queen or whatever my Father wanted to call me. Still, I had never imagined that I’d be left ruling over a kingdom. I wasn’t ready for this whatsoever! I may have the powers of death, but that didn’t mean I wanted the power of ruling an entire kingdom of the underworld!

“M’Lady?” Zalan’s voice sounded beside me. “Are you okay, Nyktos?” He asked me calmly. 

I noticed numerous demons and entities approach my throne, repeatedly asking me questions. I stared at them, trying to think of words to reply. However, my Father’s booming voice sounded once more. “Any questions or concerns, I am open to. Nyktos, please go enjoy yourself.” He dismissed me with a flick of his wrists.

Limping away from the throne, I chose to go outside for some fresh air.

What the hell just happened?

0