Chapter 18 – Clara Project: To Find a Hope
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Town Hall, at the Appraisal Division. Nixie received a magic mail from Clara and nodded as she read them.

 

“Ah, a hunt attempt? But Clara doesn’t want to hunt anymore, isn’t she?”

 

When she read the content of the whole mail, she wasn’t impressed.

 

“Oh, okay.”

 

A few hours back, at the savanna.

 

Fortunately, Clara’s hunch was correct. She leapt in the same direction where the water deer maneuvered its movement. Hence, the lion girl hit the water deer hard, breaking some of its bones while rolling on the ground. It stopped right nearby and was heard by other water deers.

 

The nearby deers were agitated and witnessed one of their kind get beaten badly only with a single strike. They seem to be moving in a particular way to summon the water so the threat would go away instantly. Clara noticed this and quickly hugged her prey while her footing ground was unstable and slightly watery.

 

“Clara!” Angga warned the lion girl without avail.

 

She knew that this could go south if she made a single error. So, she believed in her leg strength and leapt with all her might.

 

“Heeeaaa!”

 

The second Clara’s feet got off the ground, the herd’s water magic applied on the ground and instantly became a muddy quicksand. It’s only a split-second difference, and Clara managed to get away, landed without any speck of grace, and rolled around with her prey’s corpse on her chest.

 

“Haahh.. hahh… ah.” She tried to catch her breath when she knew the ground was in solid state.

 

Clara watched the water deer herd running away sporadically, avoiding her and the muddy quicksand area to save each of themselves. After a few minutes of breathing heavily, she checked what she’d been hugging and smiled. And then, she waved happily with her stupid grin at the floating camera.

 

“Angga! I survived!”

 

Angga gave her a thumb up from a few kilometers behind even though she couldn’t see it.

 

In short, Clara returned to where they put a camp in the middle savanna for Angga to observe everything. She grinned wide when the lion girl put down a lifeless water deer around even though she got mud on her legs and got dirty because of the rolling she had.

 

“Hehe, a huge success. How was it?” asked Clara in a bright tone. She was in a good mood.

“Honestly, I was worried when the water deer reached the herd. But you managed to survive, that's all that matters. Here, a drink for you.”

“Woah, thanks! I’m real thirsty now. Did Aleid tell you about this spot? I don’t detect any big monsters around so that I can focus on the chase,” asked Clara while she drank her fresh water.

“Yeah, basically, our hunt today wouldn’t be dangerous because of other factors, such as strong monsters. I don’t know what will happen if you see the quicksand around you while getting chased by other dangerous monsters.”

“Yeah, I definitely don’t want that. Now, we have to do something to get more additional gold…”

 

The lion girl sent a magic mail to the Town Hall to report that they managed a single water deer monster. After a while, a mysterious light from the sky circled the said monster's corpse and began to do a teleportation spell. It’s the first time Angga has seen that, so he was interested in the whole process while recording it.

 

“Is it interesting to you?” asked Clara with her teasing grin.

“It’s my first time seeing that. So, basically, you can ask the Town Hall to do this kind of spell regardless of the location and the monster's size?”

“That’s right. The Town Hall is amazing. I heard they have this wonderful artifact to boost their mana, so they can practically use it anywhere around the region of Canau.”

 

Clara sat while waving her hands towards her neck and chest in an attempt to make a breeze since her body’s temperature was still high. It’s been a while for her to hunt, so it took up most of her stamina.

 

“I’m sticky all around. Wish that I can have a bath or something,” she complained.

“Yeah, I agree. We’ll go home now. I’ve got enough footage for today, so we’re good.”

“Wah, yay! Okay, let’s go home quickly!”

 

They packed their stuff back and put everything back in the carriage. Still, this method of transportation amazed Angga because it didn’t need animals or monsters to move. It was installed by a magic circuit programmed to take the initially chosen route. Since Angga rented this carriage, the rental owner programmed the route back and forth as Angga requested.

 

It’s pretty different and much slower than what he rode before on his trip to Repose Lodging, he thought. Still, it was no problem.

 

After an hour of a carriage ride, they arrived at the Resources Guild, and Clara immediately disappeared to wash herself. Angga decided to go inside his workstation copy-space to review the footage he got. After analyzing and comparing his storyboard with the recording for a while, he left his workstation space.

 

“Oh, you finished?” asked Clara while drying her hair. Somehow, her widened hair looks like a lion mane now than usual.

“Not all of it. So, I’ll have to go to the savanna again tomorrow to get more footage.”

“Eh?! We’re going to hunt again tomorrow?”

“Nope, we only need to do it once. So, I’ll have to record the daily activities of the water deer,” He gave Clara a thumbs up to assure her that she didn’t need to go hunt again.

“Daily activities of the… monsters?” she tilted her head, “Oh, right. You told me already about it before we go to the savanna.”

“Right. I’m sure we’ll hit it big. Why I’m so certain? It’s because I’ve tried it with live stream, and apparently, the Watchers are quite amused by your performance. I’m sure a little editing will further increase our Support.”

“Eeeh?! You put it a live stream when we hunted the water deer?! Gosh, I’m in a terrible state of hunting at that time. Furthermore, I’m sure I looked like a fool repeatedly tricked by the water deer. How dare you!”

 

Clara punched Angga’s shoulder while she sulked. He laughed at Clara's attempt. Good to know that her hand wasn’t going into the dust while she punched him.

 

“So–auch–I think we got around 1.000 worth of golds from the Support alone. It clearly said that this kind of content is brand new for the Watchers, and they’re looking forward to it for more.” Angga explained while being punched.

“Wha–around one thousand? That’s amazing…”

“Yep. So we’ll see through this until it is finished together. What say you?”

Clara was flustered because she still couldn’t accept Angga’s livestream. “Well, uhh. I don’t mind, so let’s see where it goes.”

“Alright! I'm sure we will attain victory, Clara!”

 

Since both of them came to an agreement, they set their schedule in the savanna and the target of what kind of footage Angga would like to obtain so he could edit it into a one-quality video.

 

From now on, the duo’s daily schedule was only to visit Resources Guild and the savanna on repeat. Since they couldn’t control the water deer’s habits and movement, Angga should stand by while waiting for the moment he needed for the complete footage. Still, being able to come in the evening only because Angga had a day job was a hassle. So he used his weekend to the utmost to find the rare footage available out there.

 

Since Angga’s camera has this sharp zoom ability that enables him to have a high-quality recording from afar, then why should he go to the savanna in the first place?

 

Apparently, his sharp zoom ability got weaker the further he controlled his camera remotely. So, even though his camera was in the savanna while he enjoyed his meal at the Resources Guild, the quality of the picture was very blurry. So, he has to be at the savanna no matter what.

 

And then around 20 days have passed since the first announcement by Nixie. Alc was finished with their medium-level monster hunt, and he asked his wife to check the current gold accumulated by both parties. The hunt went well, just like the previous ones, while the sun was already leaning towards the west, even though it was still a few more hours before sunset.

 

“Okay, we got the information from the Town Hall. Counting this one, our hunt has accumulated 5.000 worth of gold while Clara's party currently accumulated 1.325 worth of gold,” reported Aslana.

The muscular lion guy grunted. “Only a bark without results! Not even nowhere of our hunt’s worth. That’s it, Clara. Our old way is still worthy and effective even though we’re at the age of peace,” he put away his paw gloves after swaying them away to clean from the monster’s blood, “my wives, hear me. We’ll stop our hunt since the winner of this contest is clearly our party. Sadly, our daughter can’t even put up a good fight. Let’s go home.”

 

When Alc already walked away, Aslana gave Maya a gentle pat on her shoulder. 

 

“It’s alright. Let’s just go home,” she comforted Maya with a kind smile.

“Yeah, thanks. The contest still lasts around one month. There’s still plenty of time for her to do something.” Even though a sign of sadness appeared slightly, Maya quickly replied to Aslana with a smile.

“Well, our husband is surely something. This hunt worth 5.000 golds normally can be accumulated around four months by the party of experienced adventurers.”

Maya nodded slightly. “Yeah. It’s Clara's luck to go against our husband. Well, that’s my daughter for you.”

 

At another place at the same time, Angga and Clara were taking a break while clearing their throat with a bottle of water. If anyone there saw their face, they could tell immediately that both of them were pretty tired.

 

“Angga. How was our progress? Is it enough so you can edit it?” asked Clara, concerned since Angga checked their footage after all this time on the screen on his mirrorless camera. “Nah, it’s not enough. We still have to find the scene I told you before.”

“Urm, alright. Hopefully, we can find it soon since it’s challenging to look for it.”

 

Angga knew very well that Clara had started to be concerned about their video. Thirty days have passed, and they have no other results besides a collection of footage inside Angga’s camera. With the remaining time left, it was normal for Clara to worry about it.

 

Actually, Angga has a self-debate deep inside his mind. He was aware that the time was getting short, yet if he wanted to rush and use this gathered footage without a strong impact, it would give him bad results based on his experience. That was why he chose to pursue this particular complex scene to complete his wildlife documentary video.

 

“Please also remember that I’m here to check if you guys are serious about this or not since almost one month has passed, just ten days more. There is no other progress since the last time you hunted a water deer, so I was wondering if you two are abandoning this contest or something, but it turns out you guys have yet to make anything,” Nixie commented while having a snack inside her water bubble.

 

This time, the mermaid from the Town Hall came to check Clara’s party progress since there was no movement of their accumulated gold since Clara's last hunt of the water deer. She came around two hours after Clara and Angga went to the savanna from Canau.

 

“Well, we’re trying as we speak,” said Angga while he floated around his camera again.

“Yeah, I can see your earnest attempt. Good luck, you two. I know to go against a top hunter is very tough,” replied the mermaid with her mouth full of snacks.

“May I know how much my Papa’s party has accumulated?”

“Their hunt accumulated 5.000 worth of gold.”

“Five thousand! Even my Repose Lodging ads reached around 5.000 worth of gold. Okay, time to get serious now.” Angga was getting pumped.

“You said you’re not being serious after all this time?!” The lion girl panicked.

“I’m joking! It’s a joke, sorry for that! I’ve been serious since the first day we started, Clara!”

 

Panic quickly ensued between them while Nixie enjoyed their aggressive banter. Can Angga find the scene in the wild that he has pursued to edit the video as soon as possible?

 

His camera floated around the savanna to watch over the water deer like in previous days. Sadly, it was nothing special. So Angga had the time to counter Clara’s punches because she was sulking. Good thing that she didn’t use her physical prowess to unleash her anxiety and the Overseer’s law of this world of no killing.

 

–until Angga noticed a water deer that behaved strangely underneath the shade of the savanna tree.

 

“Clara! Alright, please stop! We’ve found our target!”
“Even I don’t know what to do in the remaining month to gain that much gold! I can't hunt that well, just like my papa, huwaa!--eh, what did you say?”

“I said I found our target! Okay, time to maintain a safe distance and use the sharp zoom ability…”

 

The camera zoomed towards this peculiar water deer. Clara came closer to check Angga’s remote screen and made sure they found their target.

 

“That’s–”

“Yeah, just what I want. With this, I’m sure it’ll strongly impact the after-production phase.”

 

Clara’s eyes widened in delight and anticipation while she witnessed the situation where the water deer took a rest. To think they finally can find this scene after days of recording in the savanna, perhaps there was hope, after all.

0