Chapter 4 – The Virmalum Empire!
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

n the royal demon fortress of the Virmalum Empire, a feast was underway. There were sparkling chandeliers giving light to the hall with red banners showing the Virmalum sigil. There were four long tables in the banquet hall, each filled with appetising food on silver platters. Roasted chickens, grilled fish, and loaves of bread. There were no salads or fruits, however. For drinks, there was wine poured into glasses, ale into tankards, and cups of water for those too weak to hold their liquor.

Prince Hazug sat in the middle of the table reserved for himself. Hayate Yoshida was on his right and Mage Jaakobah was on his left.

On another long table, the students were seated together. They were getting stares and sneers from the other two long tables where demon generals and goblin chieftains sat. The students could hear the demons and goblins talking about them, they were hardly subtle about it.

"Humans. Why are they here?" One demon asked.

"I smell their fear." A goblin said through his chiselled teeth. "They smell tasty."

"Stop it. They are the heroes that High Mage Jaakobah summoned. They are to be treated as Prince Hazug's guests." Another demon said. He appeared to be more cordial than the previous one.

"Disgusting. Their presence taints these halls." A second goblin snarled.

"Enough, goblin." The same demon chided the goblin.

"Everyone." Prince Hazug got everyone's attention. He took a goblet of wine and stood up.

Everyone got up to their feet with a drink in their hands. The students joined the toast as well if only to avoid upsetting the demons and goblins.

"Five hundred years ago, we lost our great Emperor, Rausivor. But his glorious vision still lives on with us to this day." Prince Hazug said, "Our empire may have suffered a setback from our enemies, but we will never be defeated. We are stronger than ever. Our numbers have regrown and so have our armies. Above all, we have the powers of the legendary heroes of old."

The students grew even more conscious as everyone eyeballed them.

"The alliance will know our wrath and vengeance! Our empire's time is now!" Prince Hazug raised his goblet. "For the Virmalum Empire!"

"For the Virmalum Empire!" Every demon cheered and every goblin growled.

"The Virmalum Empire!" Prince Hazug cheered again.

"The Virmalum Empire!" Everyone praised the empire. Even Hayate cheered along, as much as it made his skin crawl.

Moments after, everyone feasted. The goblins were ripping meat into pieces and chugging down ale noisily. The demons had better table manners in comparison, using utensils with class for their dinner. It did not take long for the students to dine in.

Hayate stared at his dinner. Prince Hazug could see the apprehension in his face.

"It's not poisoned if that's what you're thinking." Prince Hazug said.

"N-No, Prince Hazug. That's not what I was thinking." Hayate quickly answered. Prince Hazug snatched a chicken drumlet from Hayate's plate and took a bite.

"See? Not poisoned." Prince Hazug smirked. Hayate responded with a nervous chuckle and began eating his dinner.

"What do you think, Hayate? Good speech?" Prince Hazug asked.

"Very good, Prince Hazug." Hayate nodded. Prince Hazug could sense the apprehension in Hayate,

"Speak your mind." Prince Hazug said and took a drink from his goblet.

"Uh... What's going to happen to me and my classmates now?"

"You eat heartily now. For tomorrow, you and your classmates will train so we can know what you all can do as the elemental heroes. I expect great results from you all, so you best be ready. Do not disappoint."

"Y-Yes... Prince Hazug." Hayate nodded and carried on with his dinner.

Keika, seated with the other girls, kept her sights on Hayate. She was worried for him as he sat with Prince Hazug.

"Tsukasa." Asami Kawamoto whispered to her. "Are we really going to join these demons and goblins?"

Amane Kaneko and Kanae Namari chimed in, "I don't like how they're looking at us. What will they do to us?"

"Girls, Hayate-kun won't let anything happen to us. I know it." Keika said to put them at ease. "We just need to go along with Prince Hazug's plan until we have a way back home."

At the other end of the table, Sora Aikawa was eerily silent. Sora kept his eye on his hand hidden underneath the table.

Blood. Something was chanting in Sora's head. Blood.

He focused on his hand, and a red aura started glowing around his hand. There was a peculiar feeling in his hand like there was power and vigour. Also, there was another feeling, like the aura was hungry and seeking something.

"Human scum!" The slurred yell from the centre of the hall disrupted the entire banquet. It came from the same goblin captain. "You feast in these halls when you should be under my heel!"

He had a pint of beer in his hand, his eyes were clearly dilated. He stormed over to the gals, particularly towards Erika Harada since she was the one who tripped and fell in Prince Hazug's throne room. "I'll see you squeal like the pig you are!"

"Captain." A demon from the table called to him.

But the goblin captain leaned over to Erika. "Being the heroes of old doesn't change the fact that you are all humans!"

Hayate stood up, "Stop!"

Keika added, "Leave her alone!"

The goblin did not even notice them, he was too inebriated to hear them. Sora, with his hand still glowing red, only watched as Erika and the other gals squirm in fear.

"Squeal, pig!" The goblin captain snarled and pulled his hand back to strike her.

"No!" Erika shrieked and put her hands up, "Don't!"

Large yellow bolts of electricity surged around her hand, lighting up the banquet hall. The goblin captain had no chance when he got blasted in the chest by lightning bolts. He was flung off his feet and he crashed into the other side of the hall. The other goblins were in an uproar, snarling and growling at the students.

Erika and the other students were frozen with a mix of shock, awe, and terror. The possibility of infinite magical powers was captivating after they just witnessed one of their classmates had just shot out lightning from her hand. On the other hand, the snarls and growls from the angered goblins made their hearts hammer in a panic.

The captain was still on the floor, writhing in pain. He could barely move after that lightning attack from Erika. Parts of him smelled like putrid grilled flesh.

"What was the point of that, Captain?" The goblin captain looked up to see Prince Hazug standing tall above him. "You tried to attack my guests and now you are flopping on the floor like a fish out of water."

The captain tried to get back onto his feet, but his strength was sapped out of him. Prince Hazug glared at the goblin at his feet, his lips contorting an irritated frown. He reached down and grabbed the goblin by the neck.

"Captain." Prince Hazug grabbed the goblin by the neck and pulled him to his feet, his voice underlined a hint of displeasure. He stared the captain down. "Could you explain to me how injuring the heroes would give us an advantage? How does that benefit the Virmalum Empire?"

"They're... They're humans. Your majesty. The race of the enemy." The goblin captain choked in Prince Hazug's grasp.

"They are allies to the Virmalum Empire. They are my guests." Prince Hazug said through gritted teeth, "This is the second time you have attempted to harm my guests, humiliating me in the process. What in the name of Rausivor made you think that you have the right?"

Everyone was staring at the two. The goblin captain stammered and had no way to explain himself.

"Captain. You have attempted to weaken our allies repeatedly. By that extension, you have attempted to weaken the Empire and betray us."

"No!" The goblin captain begged the prince, "Please, forgive me!"

Prince Hazug raised a brow, giving the goblin captain an incredulous look. The demon prince grabbed him by the face and slammed him into the wall. Prince Hazug proceeded to grab the goblin's head with his hands, both thumbs poised over his eyes. Prince Hazug plunged his thumbs into the sockets. "I forgive you."

The brief scream from the goblin was cut short, and blood poured out and dripped down. Prince Hazug released and he plopped onto the floor. Prince Hazug's thumbs were coated in red.

The prince took centre stage at the banquet hall. He let out a snarl before he addressed the rest of the goblins and demons. "And let this be a lesson to everyone. This is but a taste of the power the legendary heroes possess. They are our allies and they serve the Empire. So, think very carefully before you do something really stupid like our captain here."

The demons and goblins were silent at Prince Hazug's warnings. The students said nothing as well.

"Get rid of him." Prince Hazug commanded. Two goblins came to remove the captain and dinner resumed.

An hour later, the students were left in their barracks. Each took a cot for a bed. They were not given any new clothes to change into, so they had to sleep in their school uniforms. They needed to get as much rest as possible for the next day's intensive training.

***

Night time came. I was alone in a guest room the upper floors of King Baeolmar's castle. While my school uniform was hanging in the closet, I was wearing this long-sleeved white shirt and navy blue pants that were left for me in this room. It was quite comfortable and the fabric was a little thicker compared to my school uniform. The room was the equivalent of a presidential suite in a hotel back in Japan. There was a sizable bed, a fireplace by the side, a chandelier filled with lit candles, and a balcony where the landscape was on full display. I sat at a wooden dining table in the middle of the room with silver plates filled with grapes, tomatoes, and grilled chicken fillet.

"Thank you for the food." I said to no one as I had my dinner. I couldn't really complain about the food. It wasn't terrible. In fact, the chicken was nicely seasoned and the fruits were fresh.

It's just that all this food reminded me that there was no Japanese food in this world. No bento, no beef bowl, no udon, and no spicy miso ramen.

Damn, I could go for a bowl of hot spicy tonkotsu miso ramen now. Or maybe a hamburger. I grumbled internally as I chewed on a grape.

Later, I was by the balcony and staring at the quiet night sky.

The stars were so beautiful as they sparkled the night like glitter. It was so different from the city's night back in my world. The streets would have been loud with car engines and buildings would have been lit up like daylight. But I would prefer the city's night back in my world over this quiet star-lit sky. Because at least my home would still be there.

Just need to wait for tomorrow. I sighed and turned in for the night.

***

Haruki...

I heard my name. But I could not see anyone. There was only darkness.

Haruki...

I heard my name coming from behind. I turned around and I was blasted by a bright golden light that appeared out of nowhere in the darkness. It was too damn bright, I couldn't take it anymore.

Haruki!

I sat up from the bed, panting and sweating. Sunlight shined into the room from the balcony. After getting out of bed to stretch, I reached for the bedside table to take my phone. I let out a sigh as I saw the battery which was at eighty percent. Unless there is a phone charger here, the battery will die eventually.

I freshened up and changed back into my school uniform. I stepped out of my room and strolled down the corridor. The morning sun shone through the windows. With no sound of vehicles passing by and with no commuters anywhere, the place was quite peaceful. I didn't know where I was going and just headed deeper inside the castle. I'm sure it will be fine, they won't mind. Just gonna explore the place for a while.

After half an hour of making left and right turns, I was at a certain corner of the castle. Making a turn, there was a new open area of the castle. It seemed to be the backyard and looked fairly pleasant. Kind of like the courtyard on the front side of the castle except smaller. On top of that, there was someone there.

A tall girl around my height and likely older than me. She was dressed in some silver cuirass along with a maroon combat skirt. She wore red fingerless gloves that went up to her elbows and silvery boots to her knees. She had silky black hair like gentle waves and she had elegant red eyes. She was also armed with a thin sword. Like the cross between a rapier and a broadsword.

The girl held her sword up in the air and took in a deep breath before twirling the blade with finesse. "Great inferno, ignite and engulf my foes in flames!"

Flames appeared and trailed her sword. As fire spun around her, she slashed her sword upwards and a fiery blast shot out into the air. Even from where I was standing, I could feel the intense heat from her fire attack. The flames quickly disappeared and the girl stood there in a pose with her sword, like she was quite proud of her display.

Oh man... That's actual magic!

I was so distracted by the fireworks that I didn't realise she was staring at me until it was too late.

"Hey," said the girl in a commanding tone, "Who are you?"

"Eh? I... Uh..." I stammered. "I'm Haruki Hoshino."

"What are you doing in the castle?" She stormed her way over to me. "How did you get in here?"

"Huh? Uh well..." How was I supposed to answer that?

"Are you a spy?" She started throwing a ridiculous accusation. "An enemy of the alliance?"

"What?! No!" I snapped back. I was starting to dislike her when she had this nasty tone with me, but then I really disliked her when she swung and pointed the tip of her sword at my chest.

"Do not lie to me!" She commanded. "I'm taking you in for questioning!"

"Hey! Don't point that thing at me!"

"Surrender!" She commanded. She grabbed my collar as if to hold me in place.

"Stop!" Someone else arrived. We turned to see Grand Wizard Ferilmah standing by the backyard's entrance.

"Uncle Ferilmah?" The girl was confused by his arrival.

"Uncle?" I snapped my head at Ferilmah and back at her.

"Release Haruki." The wizard told her.

"You know this fool?" The girl tightened her grip on my collar.

"Seraphina!" Ferilmah chided her, "Don't be rude. This is Haruki Hoshino, the Solaris Hero."

The girl, named Seraphina, froze. She lowered her sword and stepped back with her jaw hung down. Her cheeks had a pink hue, clearly embarrassed after she had just threatened me. "H-Huh? W-What?"

As she continued to stare at me in a stupefied way, Ferilmah stepped in between the two of us.

"What were you trying to do, Seraphina?" Ferilmah said.

"I thought he was an intruder." Seraphina pointed at me and her voice cracked. "This is the Solaris Hero? Him?"

Seraphina stared at me in disbelief. I glared back at her. I didn't care who she was, I did not appreciate having a sword pointed at me.

"Seraphina." said Ferilmah with a frown.

"Ahem," Seraphina cleared her throat and she straightened herself. She made a bow, "Forgive me, Solaris Hero. I didn't know it was you. I mistook you for an intruder."

Well, at least she's being a little nicer now.

"It's okay." I said, diffusing the tension. No point getting into a fight with her if she's backing down.

Ferilmah turned to me. "And you, Haruki. Where have you been? The chambermaids said they couldn't find you in your room."

"I was looking around the castle." I told him, "Just taking a walk and then I got here."

"And you found Seraphina while she was training. Haruki, you can't just wander off on your own like that." Ferilmah sighed. "I suppose introductions are in order. Haruki, this is my niece. Seraphina Argyros. Captain of the Silver Rose Guard. Daughter of Baeolmar Argyros."

Captain, huh? So, she's a pretty big deal here. I subtly scanned her up and down. She seemed to have the physique to back up the title. Wait... Daughter of Baeolmar Argyros? King Baeolmar?

"King Baeolmar is your father?" I asked.

Seraphina didn't answer, she just grumbled and avoided eye contact. I turned back to Ferilmah, "So you're King Baeolmar's brother?"

"You're a perceptive one. He is my older brother." Ferilmah nodded. "Well, have you finished sightseeing? Because we have to go. We must be ready for the council." Ferilmah said.

"The kings and queens. They're here already?" I asked.

"Not yet, but they are on their way as we speak. They'll be here very soon." Ferilmah gestured to me to follow him, "Come, we are to hold the council in the Tower of the Paremal Order. That means you too, Seraphina."

Seraphina spun and sheathed her sword. "Very well."

She has to come along? Alright then.

Ferilmah, Seraphina, and I were at the courtyard again on the path towards the Paremal Order Tower. While I was walking behind, I could overhear them talking.

"Uncle Ferilmah, is it true? About what happened to the other heroes?" Seraphina asked Ferilmah.

The wizard dipped his head. "Regrettably so, yes."

"What are we going to do?"

"That is what we are trying to decide when the council commences." Ferilmah frowned, as if the answer should have been obvious to her. Seraphina glanced back at me before she carried onwards.

We reached the entrance of the tower. Before we entered through the door, Ferilmah turned to me.

"Haruki, listen carefully." Ferilmah said. "This royal council meeting is reserved for the kings and queens of the alliance, and very few selected individuals. They do not yet know that someone such as yourself possesses the Solaris Magic."

"What do you mean someone such as myself?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Someone on the young side." said Ferilmah, "If I may ask, what is your age?

"I'm seventeen."

"Goodness. You're even younger than Seraphina here." Ferilmah sighed. He glanced at his niece who was standing beside us the whole time. Seraphina raised a brow with her arms crossed after learning my age.

"So, please don't be too upset if they express strong doubts about you. Remember, you are the Solaris Hero. That cannot be refuted. We have your back, Haruki. This you can be sure of." Ferilmah and Seraphina nodded at me.

"Fine." I said under my breath. I figured it made sense, sort of. If there are elves and dwarves in this world, they would likely have a longer lifespan compared to humans. Like those fantasy worlds in the novels I've read and the anime shows I've watched. Why would an elf or dwarf have a longer lifespan compared to humans? I have no clue.

Either way, we entered the tower. It was time for a meeting between the kings and queens of the alliance.

0