Chapter 26: The First Storm (1)
38 5 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"[Spear Trap]"

 

The spear's head touched the claws of the wolf and pushed it down. Like a stream of water gently sloping down a mountain, it redirected the force of the attack and shoved it down.

 

As was the case always with the trapping, I was wide open. But just like before, this was not about fighting the wolf.

 

[Quick Steps]

 

Before it could attack with its other claw, I rushed away from the wolf and ran. Jumping over the rocks and stones, I dived into the hole that the wolf had made.

 

"This was real, after all."

 

What kind of glitch was this?

 

"Inventory. Inventory."

 

No matter what I said, nothing opened up.

 

I quickly pulled at the amulet already hanging from my neck and threw it away before putting on the one with seven boosters.

 

"Stats!"

 

[<<:::Stats:::>>

 

Strength: 21 (+2)

 

Perception: 27 (+2)

 

Endurance: 22 (+4)

 

Charisma: 47 (+2)

 

Intelligence: 23 (+2)

 

Agility: 28 (+2)

 

Luck: 45 (+2)]

 

Alright! That still worked! This was a cheat item!

 

"GRAAA!"

 

The wolf was still on my trail, though.

 

As if to show the effects of my newly increased luck, a narrow passageway in the midst of the caves entered my sight. I immediately ran toward it and dived in.

 

Small blue bioluminescent moss and algae lit up everything around them. Streams of water trickled down from the tops of the narrow walls and puddled at the bottom.

 

It was far too narrow for even me to walk through. I stuck to the wall and coursed my way inside, running deeper.

 

If this was all registered in the maps, it couldn't be all that dangerous, could it? I still had to go back after all. I couldn't just end up dying here while my sister was waiting.

 

"AWOOO!"

 

The wolf slammed its head on the passage walls but could not push through.

 

Yes, these were just useless worries. There was no way a giant killer wolf was real.

 

It tried to shove its hand inside but was just short of reaching me. Phew.

 

"Goodbye, wolf guy. Next time I come here, I won't be playing the game anymore.

 

I slowly started hurrying out of the narrow passageway—inch by inch. The sensation of the tricking water and the moss on my back felt deeply unsettling.

 

Even though I had gone deeper into the narrow path, the sounds of the wolf didn't stop.

 

"This place is still pretty, huh?"

 

The moss and the lights above formed intricate patterns all over the soaring walls of the cave. The water spraying out had formed a thin veneer of mist and fog.

 

I scuttled to the other side, observing the beautiful yet unsettling passageway.

 

"GRAA!"

 

"AWOOOO!"

 

"WOOOF!

 

My eyes widened.

 

I picked up pace slightly and neared the end of the passageway.

 

On the other side of the opening were multiple more wolves, just like the one before.

 

God damn it. Moving out of this place was even worse than being at the back. It would be magnitudes smarter for even the dumbest of people to take on one wolf instead of many.

 

I was no different.

 

What should I do now?

 

The wolves were even more intense than the one before. I swept a glance at the terrain.

 

The rocky parts of the cave were lit up by more luminescent moss and algae. The sound of trickling water filled my ears whenever the growls and steps of the enormous wolves didn't block it.

 

I slowly peeked out and saw a waterfall on the other side—a very small waterfall collecting a pond at its bottom. The blue lights brightened both sides of the waterfall, and at its bottom was a giant stone.

 

That was when I noticed it.

 

A lock of blue hair leaning against the giant stone that seemed like an altar.

 

That was...

 

A person.

 

They slowly slid against the stone, barely held up. A woman with blue hair was knocked out at the pond.

 

Shit.

 

What the hell was up with that?

 

Was she a player, too? There was no other reason for her to come here, but there was no player tag.

 

Then again, it wasn't like the wolves had tags, either.

 

If it was just an NPC, I didn't have to worry. And if it were a player, then the chances of her seeing the wolves were low. No one would be stupid enough to keep the lenses on during a malfunction.

 

Ok, maybe other than me.

 

It was best to camp out here and wait for the inventory to come back...

 

But as it would stand, thinking things would go well didn't work in my favor. Right as I thought of staying back, one of the wolves walked over to the pond and stomped their foot in it while trying to drink.

 

To my surprise, the woman who was leaning against the stone suddenly slid down and fell face-first into the water.

 

"Are you kidding me?" I hissed while keeping my voice low.

 

She started trembling under the water, and the wolves turned her.

 

"Grrrr..."

 

"Grara!!"

 

If they could see her, she would have to be an NPC...

 

The woman kept frothing at the lake while the wolves slowly walked toward her.

 

Yes. She would have to be an NPC. No player would keep the Zagros on during a malfunction, not pass out near water, and then not even wake up.

 

There was no need to stick my head in this situation.

 

It was just an NPC. Who cared if she died? I had seen hundreds of people die in front of my eyes, what was a computer code...

 

But...

 

But I was still wearing the damned Zagros.

 

What if it wasn't an NPC?

 

Did I have to risk my money for her now?

 

Fuck.

 

I didn't. I definitely didn't.

 

...

 

"OI! WOLVES! Look over here!!"

 

I really didn't have to.

2