Chapter 3.
39 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 'Listless awake,

In one of many browsed bookstore in City A, [Bookstore R]1dont wanna bombard anyone with some random building names haha

At the counter, Yuan positioned himself more comfortably in his seat as he flipped a book he held in his hand. 

He occasionally gave a few glances at the front to know if a customer was present —though he could actually used Momo to surveil the surroundings just to notify him if there was someone passing by, however, this would confuse his mind — Reading while someone keeps talking to you and you need to pay attention on is a bad idea therefore Yuan decided to do things manually as he intended to let Momo go get some rest as well.

By chance as he raised his head to look up, his sight stopped on a man who had walked near him holding a book trapped in his arms. The man noticed his gaze and quickly opened his arms to place the book on the counter.

"There are other volumes for this one?"

The man asked, his voice peered with uncertainty.

"The book ‘Maggots’ has a total of seven volumes.." Yuan replied nonchalantly as he placed a yellowish bookmark into the page he was currently reading, closed the book and placed it on his lap.

“You're reading ‘Maggots’ too?” The man saw that cover and blurted out.

Yuan nodded at him, “Yes, it seems our tastes are similar. I'm reading the final volume so I bet you shouldn't ask me anything or I'd spoil the fun.”

“So you also think it has a very diverse and creative plot right?”

“Out of ten, nine said so.” 

"Really?" The man was amazed. “Then I'll buy this book and please get me four volumes after this. I don't have much free time so five volumes can sustain me for the moment.”

Yuan replied, "Unfortunately, the sixth and seventh volumes are out of stock. But I guarantee you this book will never disappoint.” As he said that he caressed the name of the author on the cover. “She always amazes.” 

“Who's she? The author?” 

“Yes. I've been a big fan of hers for a very long time.” Yuan smiled as he stared at the ‘Sheri’ nameplate. “Alongside this, are there more books you want to buy ?”

"Yeah." The man smiled, "I'll leave them here for a moment. I will return with the books I'm also gonna purchase."

After saying that, the man turned around to leave.

Yuan watched the man return with dozens of other books.

"A western food guide, some mangas, hmm, novels..." Yuan inspected the book before handing it over, "...All costs $450, will it be by credit or cash?"

The man paused for a minute before taking cash out of his purse, "I'll pay it with cash."

Yuan took the $500 dollar and the man reached out and smiled, he then dropped his head down to get some change when the man spoke out, "No need for the change, you can have the rest."

"Pardon?" Yuan asked, quite conflicted.

"I don't know why someone as young as you would be out doing jobs instead of going to school," The man said. "If it's not for money, then what?"

"I..." Yuan sighed a bit before saying, "Am I that young looking, sir?"

The man inspected Yuan for a couple of seconds before replying, "You do, why?"

"Oh well, suit yourself so never mind." Replied Yuan as he placed the books in a paper bag and gave it to the man who nodded in appreciation. He turned around and left.

"Hey you got another one again?"

Yuan turned to face his right and saw his colleague, Amie. 

Amie was the typical woman in her thirties, though, brighter and a sunny air waved around her. 

She was the type of person who likes to chat with anyone and loves to gossip. Yuan met her on the second day he surveyed the city, she was the one who took him in and told him about working in the available spot in the bookstore her cousin owns.

Considering her as a friend as his said age was close to her, Yuan did not hide the fact he was older than her and she, as easy going as she is, welcomed the strange fact surrounding the youth. 

It wasn't that really strange as there were cases of people preserving their youths such as baby faced men and women.

"I would like to tell him my age but," Yuan paused a bit before adding, "That'd be a waste of breath."

"Totally yourself Yuan." Amie replied with a tilt of her head, "Now let me go straight to business, did you finish writing the second volume already?"

"Sadly, I have yet to finish." Yuan replied honestly. “I didn't know how to continue everything after I found another hobby to indulge in. Sorry~”

"Awwww, I was persistent in waiting " Amie nudged the bookshelf with one of her arms disappointedly and took a random book upon touch. “I don't know why you're so obsessed with reading that Maggot...Faggots? Oh my, isn't that a foul word Yuan?”

“The title is a worm, not a gay man...” Yuan retrieved his gaze and placed it back on ‘Maggots’ on where he had trailed the beautiful cover design with his fingers...

“Hey, you know that I've never heard of this author called Sheri before, notably speaking that I've never even called in to let any of her books appear in the bookstore before...Oi hold on, are you familiar with her? Like as close in close?”

Glancing at the clock on the wall, Yuan removed his hands from the book and tapped his finger on the table. “Yes, we're close. Really really close. She wrote this book a while back then during our...I'm sorry Amie, I can't disclose any information about her. By the way I was the one who brought her books in.”

"I knew it!”

Yuan continued to nod as he stared at the clock, when a minute passed, Yuan then shifted his gaze at the window beside the counter where the view of the ocean could be seen. The light from the setting sun blinded the bookstore with an orange hue, frowning, Yuan stopped up from his seat and closed the curtains. 

"Yuan, will you be on the night shift this time or me?" Amie called out. 

"Yesterday, I was free, but today, I have to hurry as the show I'm anticipating will continue tonight." Yuan replied. 

"Oh, I see, then.." Moving her hazel eyes to fix upon the black haired and green eyed boy, Amie knocked the book she was reading back into the shelf as she took her phone out from the pocket, "I'll be on shift tonight. Yeah, no need to worry. Take care of him for me...Yes, yes." She told the other line, her voice was not upset but cheerful instead. 

"Thank you." Yuan told her.

"Yeah," Amie nodded her head in approval, making her brown hair follow on. “Despite everything, I must still contribute to the job. However, you better write the second volume for me to read!”

"hey stop being tenacious, I'm busy!" 

"For reading, I am. Like I care." 

Replied Amie who had half shut her hazel eyes as her gaze remained on the half read book in the other's hand. 

"No, you can't!" 

Said Yuan, who had caught the woman's gaze, hid the book in his trouser's pocket. 

"I'm just damn curious! Don't act like it's your baby or something, it's so weird"Amie shrugged.

"Fate.''Yuan muttered. “If it's your fate you may read, ha ha ha.”

 ...

The sun had finally set, leaving the world with darkness. Shops around the city began turning on their lights; soon the once normal city at day became a neon filled sight. 

I waved my hand at Amie who had taken over my seat. It was evening, and as I had decided to skip my night shift, I waved goodbye towards Amie who had also waved in exchange. 

"Oy, wait, don't go yet!" 

Suddenly, I heard her loud shout as I pushed the door as I was about to leave. Turning my head back, I asked her, "What is it?" 

"Can you buy me some cup noodles, please?" 

"Go buy them yourself" I was annoyed.

"Can I not ask you to buy it instead?" 

"Certainly not!" I said. 

"Oh, well, then, forget it." Amie shook her head as she pushed the door in my stead. 

"Goodbye." I said without batting an eye at her. 

Amie was still upset but she returned to her seat. Sigh.

 ...

It took me a few minutes to arrive in front of my apartment complex. 

I was thinking about eating out but I remembered about the ingredients I bought last month which was no doubt going to spoil soon despite putting it in the refrigerator. I looked at my rather large apartment that was half a meter larger from where I used to live before but certainly was smaller than my palace.

It was on the second floor, a floor above another tenant that was a shut in. He's pretty much holed up inside his apartment, None of my concerns anyways.

Tapping the light switch, a smile blossomed on my face. 

"Welcome home." I said to myself. 

This was the only way to relieve my loneliness. Whenever there's no Shen beside me, I feel so melancholic and depressed.

"Momo, what do you think I should cook?" I asked after placing my bag on the sofa and walking towards the kitchen. 

"I think the Master should cook something simple, but I prefer Ramen, it's a popular Japanese food." 

Momo's voice came along. I nodded in approval of his suggestion and quickly opened the refrigerator to take out the ingredients, and based on the needed one, I realized that I had actually bought the right amount which was great news. 

It took a great amount of time to prepare, and the result was very good. Momo, though couldn't taste and eat physically, was able to taste the food by mental power and had even praised me because of the exquisite taste. 

Yet...

If only Shen was here, she would also love my cooking and this apartment wouldn't be so cold and desolate.

"Master, the show is starting..." 

"Thanks for reminding me Momo" I replied hastily as I munched down the last portion of my dinner. 

 ...

On the night of July 15, it was predestined to be sleepless. 

3