Chapter 7 Atromitos
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Her eyes opened to a room that she knew very well. She was inside the immaculate office of her father.  Dark, fine, bronzed wood was found everywhere. A large desk that was well organized sat precisely in the middle of the giant room. A large bay window stood behind the desk and a gorgeous view was seen. Large mountains towered majestically over a valley of hills and forests where other large structures were seen nestled within them. Large lakes filled with wildlife of all types could be seen surrounding the hills and forests. She recognized every tiny detail.  Home.

Sitting behind the desk was her father, busy at work as always, never without rest. He looked up and saw her standing there. She appeared much younger than she was now, but very anxious. She was always very nervous when she had to request something big from her father. He was one to be very strict. He believed he knew the best path for all of his children and what she was requesting was not on that path.

“Hello, Atro.” A nickname her family gave her. Easier to say than Atromitos. “What brings you here this beautiful morning? Shouldn’t you be at school?” He gave her a concern look. “Your mother and I worked very hard to get you into that academy. Very high marks. Hope you are not skipping out.” He gave her a small smile but a stern face. When she did not answer after a few moments, his face turned irritable, and he knew why she was here. “Please do not tell me you are here to talk about that…what did you call it…? Oh yes…calling.”

Her eyes looked down showing that he guessed right and then looked at him with her powerful eyes. “Why do you look down on this so much? I feel that it is what is best for me.”

“Atro, this idea that you have will do nothing other than get you killed. It will serve no purpose.  Why do you want to risk your life for other species? Your path is here on this world to help your kind here, to help your family. I have worked so hard to give you everything you need, and you want to toss it all away to go off and fight for others that you have never met.”

“Father, “she said with a heavy sigh, “I have seen the tragedies that other worlds are suffering. I cannot sit back and wait for them to take over every bordering galaxy. I feel that we need to help.”

“Atro!” he yelled. “We have discussed this!” He stood and began walking around the room, trying to control his temper. He looked at her and gave a heavy sigh of his own. “I find it courageous that you want to help other worlds, I really do. But we cannot involve ourselves in other species’ battles.”  She shook her head but did not interrupt. “Our forces are needed here to protect our world. Our governments have made treaties with these creatures that have taken over other worlds. As long as we do not interfere, they will not attack us. They know our strength, and for that reason they have negotiated these treaties, so we do not have endless battles.”

“No one knows where they came from or who these creatures are!” yelled Atromitos. “They are not looking for peace or to drive out enemies from their own worlds. They are dominating all who dare oppose them, taking what they want and becoming more powerful every day!”

“I know, Atro! Do you think that I do not pay attention to what is being said!? I listen every day to the destruction these creatures are causing! That is why I am working every day to boost our resources, to strengthen our forces so they do not come for us!” He rubbed his face with his giant paw showing his frustration. “If we attack or show any force against them, they will come for us.”

“They will come for us no matter what we do!”

“And if they do, they know that it will be a very long, hard, deadly battle. We have already shown that we can win and that our strength and technology is as good as theirs. We cannot go looking for a fight. We need to be prepared when the fight comes to us.”

“We also can’t turn a blind eye when we know that horrible crimes are being committed. They are killing and imprisoning for no other purpose other than to gain power. It is wrong and I will not stand by and watch it happen,” cried Atromitos. 

He lowered his eyes and pondered on what to say next. “So, you want to go and join an alliance to hopefully defeat these creatures? A group of different species that feels that they can overcome this horrible force.  It is suicide!” exclaimed Atro’s father.

“Better than watching worlds being destroyed.”

“There have been others like these creatures before and eventually they were stopped. Look at the Darkkarians. They eventually changed their ways, then due to their own stupidity, they blew up their own planet. These creatures will meet their end.”

She looked out the window at the incredible view and pondered on what her father had just said. “These creatures are different. They are more powerful than others that we have seen. I cannot sit back and hope for it all to end and watch species die.”

“So, you are asking me to allow my daughter to go fight a battle that she cannot win.”

“No!” she said defiantly. “I am asking you to allow your daughter to fight for those that cannot fight for themselves.”

He sat down in his desk and continued on with his work. He said without looking at her, “You have my answer, now return to school.”

She looked at him with her powerful golden-brown eyes. Her face showed both anger and sadness. She turned and walked towards the entrance. She stopped and turned slightly around and said, “I hope one day you may understand why I defied you and chose to fight.” Tears came to her eyes as he lifted his head and looked at her. “Say good-bye to mother for me.” She turned and ran toward the entrance. He never called after her. Her eyes closed and darkness appeared.

When her eyes reopened, she was listening to an interesting creature with large yellow eyes, a flat nose, two triangle shaped ears on top of his head, and a small mouth with razor teeth. He had black and yellow fur covering every inch of his body, and was wearing a grey body armor vest, and armor on his two legs. He was describing an image of a large vessel on a sizeable monitor and their plans to infiltrate it. Atromitos knew the ship well. It was Kraken.

There were seven in the group overall and each one of them were of a different species. All were a part of the alliance, and this mission was only for the brave. The plan was to enter the most powerful elite Kraken ship using a stolen smaller vessel. Once inside, they would work their way down to the engine room. They would set explosives around all three reactors that powered the ship and then exit the same way. They would then detonate the explosives remotely and then alliance ships would finish the job. They were able to achieve these ship diagrams through other battle victories, but at great cost. These diagrams showed everything about the ship and after studying them for many months, a plan was put together that would enable them to not only destroy the most powerful elite vessel that had caused so much destruction, but steal weapons, technology and other vital information that would help the cause.

After the plan was outlined to everyone, they all prepared themselves with armor and weapons and then exited the room where the plan was being outlined. They were on a large spacecraft with many other species and the vessel looked to have been in many battles. The fights with the Kraken had drained much of their resources and finding any additional help had been difficult because there were few left that dared fight against this powerful enemy. Many worlds now just turned a blind eye to their destruction, or they paid them off with their own resources.   

They entered the hanger of the large vessel, and a small Kraken vessel is seen. As they walk up to the ship, a short species walks up to them. This species has large horns topping his head which is covered in grayish fur. He has a snout with a round black nose at the end and a large mouth underneath with sharp teeth. He has two small slits for eyes that give off a greenish glow.

“Captain Tirus,” said the new species to the leader of this band of seven.

“Captain Pracot,” said their leader.

“The ship is ready, and all supplies needed are onboard,” said Captain Pracot. “All our hopes and prayers go with you on this dangerous mission.”

“Thank you, Captain,” said Captain Tirus with a nod.  He looked around at his group of seven.  “They are a young team, but they are ready for this.”

“You, being their Captain, I can guarantee their readiness,” Pracot said with a grin. His large sharp teeth showing.

Captain Tirus acknowledged the support with another nod and the team entered the small Kraken vessel with many hopeful onlookers watching their departure.  They all strapped themselves into their assigned seats and then ignited the engines to the ship. Captain Tirus pushed the throttle forward and the ship flew through the opened hanger doors.

After what seemed like forever, they arrived at their destination. The small ship followed the same course as the many other hundred ships that were making their way towards the large elite vessel.  They were returning from an attack run on a small planet. This little band of seven knew ahead of time that this would be the opportune time to enter the ship without being noticed. The first part of the plan was successful. They landed their ship by following other ships into the landing hanger of the vessel.  There were hundreds of small vessels huddled together and many Kraken soldiers departed from those vessels. The small band of seven could only sit and wait, hoping that no one noticed that no one was departing their vessel. A few moments later, the hanger becomes eerie quiet. Only a few workers doing odd jobs are found in this large hanger. Now was the best time to execute the next part of the plan.

“We have studied and prepare for this part of the plan for many months,” whispered Tirus to the other six. Atromitos nervously clinched her weapon in her hand. “We need to make our way up to the ventilation conduits up above. They are small but we can push our way through. Only a few guards are patrolling this hanger. We will only have to take out one or two and then we push our way through to the engine room where the main reactors are located. Let’s move.” They all quickly moved to the main door of the vessel. They push a button, and the door began to lower becoming their walkway to the hanger floor. Silently and effectively as they had trained, they moved towards the hanger walls, moving in and out of the many small ships that occupy the hanger floor. They knew there were cameras and thermal scans, but they also knew that the Kraken were too trustful in their own power. They did not believe any creature or species would try to infiltrate their ships. It would be suicide.

There was a Kraken guard walking towards their position. They stopped all movement and readied their plan that they all had trained for in their hundreds of simulations. As the guard closed in on their position, Tirus jumped out from behind one of the small vessels and placed a paralyzing stun ray in the guard’s back. The guard began to shake violently. Tirus had it at full power, knowing the Kraken guards were powerful creatures. After a few seconds, the guard dropped, and the other members of the team caught the guard before the creature hit the ground. They swiftly carried the guard and lay him quietly under one of the vessels. Everything went exactly as planned. They continued to move silently and quickly towards their destination.

As they arrived at back corner of the hanger, they scanned the ventilation conduit above them.  The entrance to the ventilation conduit was found just like it was shown on the images of the ship that they studied for months. It was just about sixty feet above their position which meant they would need to climb which is why they brought the line launchers. This was the part of the plan where they would be most exposed so they would only climb one at a time and they would have to do it quickly.

One of the team members prepared the line launcher and when he was given the “all clear”, he fired the weapon straight up into the air. The line wrapped around one of the conduits as planned. The team member tugged on the line and felt that it could support them. He gave the signal, and first team member began making the climb towards the entrance. The rest of the team kept lookout. When the first one arrived at the entrance, she used a laser saw to slice her way through the metal grill that blocked the entrance. After a few minutes, she had sawed a hole into the grill that would allow all members to enter the conduit.

One by one, each team member climbed up the rope towards the entrance. The plan looked to be going smoothly.  Only one team member was left to climb the rope. Atromitos grabbed the rope and was about to begin her climb when one of her team members signaled for her to hide. The rest of the team was hidden in the conduit. She immediately obeyed and suddenly a Kraken guard appeared from around the corner and approached her position. The guard saw the rope hanging and began to quicken his approach. Upon arriving, the guard looked up towards the ceiling. Atromitos knew that she had no choice but to take out the guard. She quietly moved from her hiding place which was behind the landing gear of one of the vessels and approached the guard.  The paralyzing stun ray was in her hand.  She knew for the weapon to work she needed to place it directly against the armor of the guard. Firing the stun ray from a distance would only be blocked by the guard’s powerful armor. Using her laser rifle, would bring other guards running. 

Just as she made her move, the guard turned and saw Atromitos coming at him with a weapon.  The guard blocked the attack which sent the stun ray flying. With his other hand, he smashed Atromitos across the face which sent her to the floor, landing on her back. She looked up and saw the guard going for his laser rifle. She immediately gave him a powerful kick to his knee, which made the guard scream out in pain. She knew that other guards must be hearing the commotion and would be here soon. She then gave the guard a quick upper cut. Her hand was aching in pain from the hard hit she had successfully landed on the guard. With the guard stunned, she grabbed his arm and then flipped him over her back, which surprised not only herself but the other team members as they watched from above. The guard landed hard on the floor and his weapon went flying as well. With the guard stunned for a moment lying on the ground, Atromitos ran to where her stun ray landed and gave the guard a paralyzing shot. He shook violently for a few seconds and then stopped moving. She then hid the guard under a small vessel behind the landing gear and then immediately climbed the rope as quickly as possible. The team above began to pull her up as she climbed. Other guards were looking around, trying to find out from where the sounds were coming from. They were quickly approaching their position.  Atromitos arrived at the entrance and jumped into the conduit, just as the other guards came around the corner. Quietly but quickly, they placed the grill back into position. 

The other guards looked around for any disturbance and began calling on their communication devices for the lost guard. None of them saw the fallen guard under the ship. One guard looked up and looked directly at the entrance to the conduit. He stared at it for a while which made everyone in the conduit nervous. The guard then lowered his view and began searching the area. When they saw no sign of disturbance, they began canvassing the surrounding area.

The team, sitting snuggly in the conduit, all breathed a sigh of relief. Captain Tirus gave a nod to Atromitos, and the rest of the crew gave a slight smile. They then began to push their way through the conduit by having to crawl on all fours and in a single file. Captain Tirus led the way. He could find their way there blindfolded because he had sat for hundreds of hours studying the designs of this ship.

They came upon their first blocker that they planned carefully for months to get through. A huge turbine, that sat vertically, was spinning rapidly, sucking air through the conduits to the rest of the ship. As they approached, they readied themselves to overload the turbine by first tying a rope around Captain Tirus. He then equipped himself with suction cups on his hands. The goal was to approach the turbine and set a small device upon the turbine which would overload it. A laser blast would send warnings to the ship that someone disabled the turbine. The same with any explosive device.  Overloading the turbine would make it look like a malfunction, which would not alert guards but the maintenance staff. Captain Tirus, knowing the risk of being sucked into the twirling blades and being cut into pieces, volunteered for this part of the mission.

Tirus approached the spinning turbine carefully and tactfully. Each time he placed the suction cup on the floor of the metal conduit, he verified that it was completely attached and then lifted his other hand.  This method seemed to work quite nicely until he was closer to the turbine. When he was within twenty feet, he lifted one hand releasing one suction cup thinking the other was secure.  He found the force of the wind was much stronger than once thought. He immediately found himself being dragged towards the turbine. He tried to suction his hands to the conduit walls unsuccessfully and continued to be pulled towards the twirling blades.  The rest of the team pulled desperately on the rope secured around Tirus’s waist. Just before Captain Tirus was chopped to pieces, the rope cinched around his waist, and he was able to secure a suction cup against the wall of the conduit with his left hand. Tirus found himself staring directly into the turbine. His face mere feet from the swirling blades. The other six were using all their strength to hold him from instant death. 

What looked like a setback, actually turned out to put Tirus in the perfect position to set the device. With his left hand secured against the wall of the conduit and the rope pulling tightly on his waist, he reached into his small bag on his waist and removed the small round device that was no bigger than a large button. He carefully reached up and placed the button on the motor of the spinning turbine, being sure not to touch the moving blades. He then reached behind him and attached his suction cup on his right hand to the conduit wall. He could see the faces of his team, and each one had the same look of fear as they continued to hold the rope. He then began the slow process of crawling back towards the team. After moving about twenty feet, Tirus became overconfident and began to move too quickly. While switching from one suction cup to the other, his right hand was not secure enough and he was dragged towards the turbine. The rope slipped from two of the others’ hands and he began tumbling towards the twirling blades. Atromitos, who was given the responsibility of clicking the switch that would set off the device that was now attached to the motor of the turbine, decided to click it now. The plan was to wait until Tirus was far enough away, not knowing if the turbine might explode, killing anyone close. The small device sent an electric shock into the motor which overheated it. Sparks flew and a small explosion occurred, and the turbines began to slow. The air stopped pulling Tirus towards the turbine and he found himself laying on the floor of the conduit looking up at the slowing blades. He breathed a sigh of relief and began checking his body for injuries.  He then looked at Atromitos and gave her a second nod. They all then made their way past the stopped turbine and continued towards their destination. 

About thirty minutes later, they found themselves staring out through a grill into the engine room.  There were no guards but other Kraken workforce which should allow them to easily get around with little trouble. The goal was to set explosives around all three reactors that powered the ship. They were each in different spots of the engine room. Taking out one or two would not take out the ship. This large ship would still have power with one reactor. Knocking out all three will leave the ship vulnerable and would be an easy target for alliance ships.

They cut through the grill and began their descent towards the engine room floor. Once all safely on the floor, they continued to move stealthy through the large engine room. They encountered a couple of non-armed Kraken workforce, and they easily took them down with a stun ray. They arrived at the first reactor which was about forty feet tall and shaped like an hourglass. The top section was transparent and liquid plasma swirled inside giving off a red eerie glow. The lower section was as wide as the top section and contained different elements and machinery to keep the reactor running. In the middle stood a pedestal which allowed Kraken workforce to modify the reactor through a control panel. This was where they would set the explosives. The closer to the top section where the flammable liquid was located, the better.

They climbed the pedestal to the mid-section of the first reactor. They quickly armed three explosives around the mid-section and then descended the pedestal stairs and hid behind machinery in the engine room. More Kraken workforce arrived and began making modifications on the control panel. No one noticed the explosives, which was how it was planned. Another large sigh of relief, and they quietly moved on towards the next reactor trying to avoid cameras and other Kraken workforce.

The missing guard had placed the security team on a higher level of alert which had caused more guards to scan the high-risk areas. The engine room was one of those areas and guards examining the engine room through cameras and thermal equipment, had noticed something. They saw a glimpse of something hiding behind the large machines which made them send guards to investigate. Soon there were six armed guards strolling through the engine room. Each team member found close hiding spots and waited. Captain Tirus scanned the engine room looking for their next best move.

At the first reactor where the explosives were placed, a guard had noticed something beneath the control panel. He did not recognize the device and decided to pull. Suddenly the device began making a high pitch noise and then there was a large explosion. Different parts of the guard went flying.  The other two explosives exploded as well, sending other guards and personal flying. The liquid in the reactor ignited and a large part of the engine room was engulfed in fire. Many alerts were going off thorough out the ship and many armed guards and other personal were running towards the engine room. White liquid spewed from the ceilings, trying to suppress the fire.

The team hearing and seeing the explosion raced towards the second reactor with no regard to being seen. All three reactors needed to be down for the alliance ships to attack.  All other plans were now gone. They knew destroying the reactors was the most important.  Destroying the elite vessel of all elite vessels would send a shockwave through the Kraken empire given many the hope to fight.

Guards began firing as the team approached the second reactor. The team returned fire. Laser fire was now coming from both directions as more guards appeared from behind. The whole team took cover wherever they were able with explosions from the laser fire happening all around. One team member grabbed two of the explosives and ran toward the second reactor and began climbing the stairs towards the mid-section. Laser fire from both directions was flying all around him. He took a hit in the arm and the leg but kept moving. Then he took laser fire in the back which sent him falling. He grabbed on to the railing of the stairs to keep from falling and saw he was feet from the reactor in front of him. He was losing consciousness and knew his life was ending. He set the explosive to go off in seconds and with all his strength, tossed the explosive towards the reactor. It landed against the reactor and then exploded. The team member lying on the stairs was blown backwards while the other explosive he was holding ignited as well. More explosions were seen as the liquid in the reactor ignited. The rest of the team ran for cover as well as the Kraken guards. The ship’s suppression system sent out more liquid. Still, there was fire everywhere. Two reactors down, one to go.

Now down to six, they raced towards the other reactor. They were in constant laser fire battles with Kraken guards. Continually ducking behind anything they found and then returning fire. Two team members fired behind and the other four in front while pushing towards the final reactor. One team member was hit, which sent her to the floor. A second team member went to help her, but she gave the signal to move on.  She then stood and began firing while walking towards the guards. The light from her laser rifle lighting her face which showed her determination. Another hit from a laser blast did not stop her. A Kraken guard fell. A second hit and she continued on firing at anything that moved. Another guard fell. A third hit sent her to her knees. Then they rushed her and she fell to the ground dead. Another act of courage to be remembered from this team.

The rest of the five continued forward, firing at anything that they saw. Many Kraken guards fell to the ground, but many were still coming.  Two of the team members were hit, but they continued to fire and walked towards the reactor. One team member was then hit in the back and he fell to the ground. He told the other team members to run as he took out his explosive, armed it and threw it back towards the guards approaching from behind. An explosion was felt and seen which took out four Kraken guards, but the team member who threw it as well.  Save the team and the mission, no worries about himself. More acts of pure courage.  

Four were left and the reactor was in sight. Two firing forward, and two firing behind. The Kraken decided to throw explosives of their own, wanting to stop them at all costs. An explosive device was seen rolling across the ground towards their position. Not even thinking about herself, a team member dove on the device which exploded when she landed stomach first on the device. She was immediately killed, but she took most of the explosion and saved the lives of the other three.

Now the three that are left, began moving forward without any consideration for themselves. Laser fire was everywhere. Fire and explosions were cascading across the large engine room. Another team member was hit in the stomach and fell to the ground. The other two grabbed him and carried him to a hiding spot behind a panel. Seeing that he was close to death, he armed his explosive, stood, and ran towards the guards. He was hit many times but kept moving and then the explosion. More guards fell.

Captain Tirus, seeing that there was an opening to make it to the reactor, grabbed the last explosive and the remaining team member to keep her position. He then ran toward the final reactor while arming the explosive. As he was running up the stairs toward the mid-section, he was hit in the back and leg which brought him to his knees. He tried to throw the explosive, but he was hit with more laser fire which sent him tumbling back down the stairs. He landed at the bottom of the stairs with no strength left, lying on his back. He turned and eyed the last team member looking at him from behind the panel.  He gave her one last smile as the explosion happened. She sheltered herself behind the control panel as more fire erupted. The third reactor was still working, and the last team member had no more explosives. 

Atromitos grabbed her laser rifle, stood and began firing at anything that moved.  A look of pure courage on her face. The look of a Mati. She raced towards the rector, determined to find a way to destroy it.  She jumped through the fire now engulfing the stairs, with no worry about her own life. Flames torched her legs, but she kept moving.  She made it up the stairs and began firing her weapon at the reactor sending sparks into the air. She was then hit with multiple laser blasts that sent her over the protection bars of the pedestal and down to the ground floor of the engine room. She was then surrounded by Kraken guards as she closed her eyes and darkness appeared. The third reactor continued to run, and the mission was recorded as a failure.

Atromitos then opened her eyes and found herself hanging upside down in a dark room.  Bands were fastened around her ankles and her wrists. There were cords that were connected to the bands that lead to a machine. She saw a door in the distance, and it opened. A large creature came through the door and approached her.

“You are awake,” the creature said in her own native language in a voice that sounded of pure evil. “That is wonderful, because I wanted a chance to speak to someone that demonstrated so much courage.”  Atromitos could only stare, not knowing who this creature was.  All she does knew that the creature was Kraken. 

“You are a Mati, yes?” asked the creature.  Atromitos did not answer but it was obvious with her distinct golden-brown eyes. “You do not need to answer. Such noble creatures. Such courage. Not many species would attempt a plan that you and your team members tried to accomplish.” The creature then smiled and then walked within inches of the hanging Atromitos.  “We have contacted your planet because of the treaty that we have with your species. They are a powerful and noble species.” His face turned to sadness. “Unfortunately, they tell us that any Mati that has been captured in an attempt to destroy any of our ships is no longer a part of their species and no attempt to negotiate or free this Mati will be planned.” He then shook his head as to give Atromitos false sympathy. His face then turned to admiration. “You must have known this before you signed up for this mission, which gives me great respect. You were willing to give up everything, even your own species to fight for others. For that reason only, will I let you live.” He then began walking away but stopped at the machine where the cords were attached. “That is, if you survive the torture.” He gave her another smile and then pushed a button on the machine. Atromitos immediately felt immense pain as electric currents surged through her body. She shook violently as she watched the creature exit the room. All she could do was scream as her eyes closed and darkness appeared.

Her eyes opened again, and she found that she was still screaming, and her fist were clinched around the wrists of the General who was standing in front of her. When she realized this, she released her grasp and stopped screaming.

The General’s face showed shock and then it turned to sympathy. He only nodded knowing how painful the memories could be. “The program is finished.” He turned to the side and extended his arm towards the large glass door. Atromitos stumbled forward at first then caught her balance. She could feel the strength that was in her lungs, heart, arms, legs, and the rest of her body. She was amazed at how good she felt. She walked out of the glass doors and stood at the top of the stairs looking out at the rest of the team with a giant smile upon her face. Tharros, Dyamion, and Dunamis all smiled in return knowing how she felt.

“I take it that the program was a success?” asked Igetis.

Atromitos took a deep breath and then gave out a mighty roar. Everyone covered their ears.  Afterwards she breathed deeply, closed her eyes and then opened them. The distinct golden-brown eyes appeared brighter than they ever have before. “You bet your tail end I am ready!” she shouted.  “Let’s teach these Kraken monsters that they do not own us!”  Everyone smiled as Tharros, Dyamion, and Dunamis all began to roar. Atromitos joined in again. The atmosphere was joyous. Hope was very much returning.

After everyone quieted down, Gennai approached the General and asked, “Can I go next?”

0