Chapter 12 Power from Within
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the nine stepped into the room where the General told them to meet him, they were shocked at the impressive scene they saw before them. Great walls encircled them where hundreds of thousands sat to watch what happened within the circle where they now stood. Reminiscences flooded this place as the nine could feel the excitement and fear that happened here. This was where he demonstrated his greatness and power before everyone.

There were weapons of every kind organized nicely against the walls of the room and many different large computers, monitors and holograms were seen that appeared to be used to operate and run different events. Golden sand filled the circle which still at marks of where battles and events had taken place. The sight was clearly the greatest colosseum that anyone of them had ever seen.

“This large stadium is what we use to train our protectors,” said the General as they all entered the room.

“You do not do anything small in this place,” said Gelio.

“Zeus used the events here to excite his followers and allowed them to see how powerful their protectors were,” said the General. “It was another way for him to show them how powerful he really was.”

“Did you sign autographs, pose for pictures, toss out articles of clothing to screaming female species?” asked Gelio.

The General rolled his eyes and continued with his address, “This stadium was designed to generate battle scenarios that allowed the protectors to hone their skills and better their teamwork.”

“Too bad their skills were used to attack innocent species on planets that would not bow to Zeus,” said Tharros.

The General eyed Tharros and saw her determine look. He nodded in agreement. “At first, it was an incredible sight to see the events that took place in this stadium. The crowds of species were astounded at what we could do, and we used the skills that we developed in these events to protect many.” The General looked around at the empty stadium and they all knew he was pondering on events long ago. Then, his face turned to that of sadness. “But it is true that things changed.” His eyes met the gaze of Tharros. “Changed far worse than we can ever imagine as you all know. Evil found its way into the heart of our King.” His face then showed a fierce and determined look as he began to look at the face of each of the nine. “That all can now change back to how it was in the beginning. You nine can now become the new protectors. You can start a new beginning.”

Seven of the nine fidgeted nervously as the plan that they signed up for by entering the device, now became real. Igetis and Filos stood motionless, and their faces were somber because the hope that Igetis had seen was beginning to appear.

The General touched a few symbols on a holographic display and the sight that all nine had seen before appeared up above. Twelve planets of different sizes, including all moons and other orbiting satellites, were seen orbiting two large Suns. Olympus was now a larger meaning to them all. It was now home.

“This great galaxy was first an inspiring view for many that were searching for hope,” said the General as he looked up at the large image above. “For a life where all their greatest dreams and desires were possible.” The tone of his voice became deeper and darker. “Then it became a weapon to destroy the homes of many. It became a place where evil creatures and monsters were created to seek out the enemy and destroy them. It became a place where pure evil existed.” For a few moments, there was silence. All continued to look up at the incredible sight. They all pondered at what they just had to relive when they stepped into the device.

“But now there is hope,” said the General with an excited tone as he looked at these nine unique species. “Now you can make Olympus a place of hope again for all that are needing help. You can bring them here and make this place home for all that are seeking. You can change this place back to what it was originally in the beginning.” The smile upon his face was bigger than these nine had ever seen. The emotion and power that was blooming in this large stadium was incredible. All nine could feel the power within them burn. A wonderful sensation.

“But first,” his tone changed to that of a military General, “you all must learn how to fight. Fight not just other species like you, but large creatures and monsters that will bring you nightmares like you wouldn’t believe.” A lump formed in Gelio’s throat. Gennai’s eyes grew twice their size. All eight eyes of Makarios looked around nervously. The wonderful feeling that was here had now changed to fear. “It will not be easy, but it will be worth it.” Igetis gave the General his sly smile and he nodded in return.

He then pushed a few symbols on a holographic display and tables formed in front of them.  Then, Hephaestus came walking into the room. The sight of him was extraordinary. All nine of them only saw him when he was on his death bed. None of them knew how large and powerful he actually was.  But now the God of Fire had returned. His large dark beard hung down from his chiseled face to the middle of his enormous chest. Every muscle in his arms and legs rippled as he walked towards the newly formed tables carrying many different objects. He placed them on the table and then stared at the nine.  Their faces all show amazement as they for the first time saw the great stature that was Hephaestus.

“First thing for any protector is a weapon,” said the General. “That is why Hephaestus is here to give you your weapons that will become almost like a part of you.”

“Yes!” said Tharros, not able to contain her excitement, which surprised both the General and Hephaestus. “I was hoping for this because I have been thinking of the best weapon. I want a plasma rifle that can blow away large city walls with one touch of the trigger.”

“Me too!” shouted Atromitos. “I am thinking of a large rifle that can fire large sound waves that take out thousands of Kraken all at once.”

“I want a laser gun on each of my legs so I can fire all eight at once,” said Makarios.

“I was hoping for a laser whip where it both whips and shoots lasers,” said Gelio.

“Maybe a nice small sword or spear for me,” said Gennai. “I do not want to be too violent.”

“Rat!” yelled Tharros. “Where is your imagination!? How are you going to take out legions of Kraken with a small sword?”

“Maybe we can make it shoot fire?” said Gennai with a nervous face. When seeing that Tharros was not impressed. He continued, “Or maybe,” he raised his hand high in the air, “I can raise it in the air and shout, ‘I am Master of the Universe’ and a large lightning bolt will hit it and give me great power.”  She still looked unimpressed.

The General stepped forward. “Actually, Hephaestus has already created weapons for you based on his studies of you. I know you will be very impressed. I promise.”

All nine stepped forward and began to look at the objects on the table. None of the objects looked like a weapon of any type. They then looked at Hephaestus standing behind the table. He saw from their faces that they were not impressed. He gave a large smile and then looked at the General.  They both knew what each other was thinking.

“Tharros,” said Hephaestus. “This here is your weapon. With training, you will find that it is more powerful than any plasma rifle.” He placed the weapon before her and Tharros’s eyes could not believe what she was seeing. Before her sat two small objects that look like sword handles and a vile holding some liquid. Her face told everyone that she was not happy.

“No offense,” she said with a critical look on her face. “But I do not see how this is more powerful than a plasma rifle.”

“I know it does not look like a powerful weapon, but you will find that it is the greatest weapon you have ever had or will have,” said Hephaestus. He was stroking his long beard while giving her a pleasant smile.

Her face still showed a critique look and she thought that maybe Zeus had injured him much worse than it appeared. The other eight seemed to be thinking the same thing because none of them could see it either.

“Please,” said Hephaestus gesturing towards the handles. “Take the two handles in your hands.”  Tharros obeyed.  The handles fit her hands perfectly which surprised her. She lifted them and the first thing she thought was they were the perfect weight. 

“Now, take the vile and pour a tiny amount into both handles through the hole in the bottom.”  She uncorked the small vile and began to pour some of the liquid into the handle in her left hand. “Not too much now,” said Hephaestus nervously. She had barley poured a drop, so her look of skepticism returned.  She then poured a tiny amount into the other.  She then placed the vile down and held up the handles. When nothing happened, she shook her head at Hephaestus and gave him the same stare as before.  He returned the stare with a broad smile.

“Let me show you,” said Hephaestus. “Show me how you would hold the handle to block an incoming sword swing.” 

She held the hand sideways. “I guess like this, if there was a blade to block it with.”

“Perseus?” said Hephaestus putting out his hand. “May I borrow one of your blades?” The General gave a large smile and handed a blade to Hephaestus. Hephaestus began approaching Tharros and she immediately began to retreat.

“Um…What are you going to do?” said Tharros hesitantly. The eyes of the other eight grew wide and began squirming nervously.

“Trust me,” said Hephaestus as he continued to approach her with the blade risen. “You keep thinking how to block this blade when I swing it at you.”

“You have to be joking,” said Tharros, still retreating. “How can this little handle stop a powerful blade like that?” The General looked Igetis who returned a nervous smile.  The General only nodded as if to say, “it will be fine.”

Hephaestus now began running and with all his might he swung the blade downward towards Tharros. Without anywhere to go, she rose the handle into the air hoping for a miracle and it happened.  Suddenly, a blade protruded from the handle that stopped the incoming blade. The blade that protruded from the handle was the perfect thickness and size to stop the powerful swing. The other eight could only stare in amazement.

“How…How did I do that?” said Tharros, her voice trembling.

Hephaestus went down on one knee and looked at Tharros eye to eye. “Your mind is attached to these handles. The energy that now flows through you will power these weapons and can produce practically any type of blade, spear, whip or anything that you can think of that is of course reasonable.”

“So, the handles can read my mind?” she said jokingly.

“Not exactly,” said Hephaestus. “They are controlled by your thoughts and the power inside you.  When you enter into a battle and you see your opponents, you will be able to construct a perfect weapon for the battle, just by thinking it. Of course this will require much training, but the first lesson is complete.” 

Tharros’s eyes grew larger as this idea excited her.  She began to think of the weapons that she could create.  “Can I make rifles or guns as well?”

“It cannot create machinery type items like guns,” said Hephaestus. “But I figure that you are more of a species that likes blade weapons.”

She gave a large smile because she knew he was right. Give her a sword or spear and she would show you a few moves. “Thank you! This is very exciting!”

“I know you will use them wisely,” he said with his broad smile.  “Dyamion, you are next.”  He walked to the table and placed an object in front of Dyamion.  Just like Tharros, his face was that of skepticism.

“It looks like a brick of clay,” said Dyamion, looking at Hephaestus with one eyebrow higher than the other.

“Well,” said Hephaestus with a half-smile, “for now that us say it is a brick of clay.”

“So, that is clay?” said Atromitos.  “You use if for explosives or something like that?”

“I would not mind that at all,” said Dyamion. “I have used something similar before.”

“It can be used to build something like that,” said Hephaestus. “But I believe you will build something different, because you are a hunter, and you know the weapon you will need.”

“No offense, Hepha…Hephi…”  said Geilo trying to pronounce Hephaestus’s name. “Mr. God of Fire.”  Hephaestus began to stroke his beard and give Gelio an inquisitive look. “But you are known as the creator of weapons. The Blacksmith of Olympus. You are supposed to have the ‘fire with unbearable heat that will molten the strongest metals into the greatest weapons.’ That is what all the books say. Where is this great workshop where all these weapons are stored? Where is this fire of unbearable heat? Should we not just be able to walk down an aisle and say, ‘I will have that saber and two of those plasma bombs and three of those missile launchers’. Why are you having Dyamion make his own weapon?”

“Fair questions,” said Hephaestus. “My workshop is found in this building and soon I will that you tour it, but for now that us say that the fire I am using to create these weapons is the fire that burns now inside you.”

“Inspiring words!” said Dunamis. Hephaestus nodded to the Centaur.

“So, we are your forge?” said Dyamion. 

Hephaestus tilted his head and shrugged his massive shoulders. “In a way, yes. You are my forge.”

Dyamion gave a smile showing that he liked the answer. He then began to touch and feel the “brick of clay.” “This feels and moves like clay, but this isn’t clay?”

“You are correct,” said Hephaestus. “But for now, use it to design your weapon.” 

As Dyamion molded his weapon, Hephaestus turned to Gennai, who was standing on top of the table admiring Dyamion’s work. Hephaestus looked made the rat nervous, so he gave him his tiny smile.  “I am intrigued by your species,” he noted pointing a large finger at the nervous rat. “I get the feeling from your friends that you have shown them you are much more useful than what many think.”

“The rat does have a lot of hidden talent,” explained Tharros as she continued to work with her new weapons.  She had now been able to create two sabers and was practicing moves. “He has been very resourceful to the team.”

Gennai’s cheeks turned red after hearing Tharros’s comment. “Oh, I haven’t done that much,” clarified Gennai with a wave of his hand.

“Humility as well,” said Hephaestus with his broad smile.

“That is our Gennai,” commented Igetis from behind.

Now the rat’s face was pure red with all the attention he was getting. Hephaestus smiled and stroked his large beard as he studied the rat with his large piercing eyes.  He then placed a device in front of Gennai. The rat studied the device trying to discover what it could be.

“Like I said Gennai, your species intrigues me,” explained Hephaestus. “I thought quite a while on what would be best for a species like you. Your height, tiny hands and short legs do not help.”

“He is quite strong, even before he received his new powers,” said Tharros, still practicing her moves. “He was able to drag many from the burning ship when we crashed.”

“I do not doubt it,” agreed Hephaestus. “Usually, the smallest have the most inner strength.”  Again, Gennai’s cheeks were pure red. “This device that I created his perfect for a small resourceful species like yourself.”

“How does it work?” said Gennai, still trying to identify the device.

“There are two parts,” Hephaestus explained while picking up the device and splitting it into two. Now there were two small semicircles that seemed to have a red liquid moving throughout the objects. “You wear one on each wrist.” He nodded towards Gennai and the tiny rat put forth his wrists.  Hephaestus placed them on each of his wrist, and they were a perfect fit. The rat began turning his wrist around and he saw the red liquid beginning to move.

“Neat!” shouted Gennai. “It glows as I move them.”

“Well,” smiled Hephaestus. “That is one advantage but not entirely the whole use of this weapon.” He pointed at the General, who then pushed a symbol on a holographic display. A target appeared in the middle of the field of this large stadium, about five-hundred feet from where they were standing. 

“Point one of the devices towards the target.” Everyone, including Tharros and Dyamion, watched Gennai as he pointed the device at the target.  All showed excitement, but more nervousness, at what it will do. 

“Now when you are ready, clinch your fist hard and think that you want the device to work.”  Gennai clinched his fist, and nothing happened. The rat turned and looked at Hephaestus with a nervous grin. “Try again but have more confidence in yourself.”

Gennai took a deep breath and clinched his fist hard. Suddenly a laser fired from the device and hit near the target creating a large explosion.

“Not bad,” expressed the General. “With practice, you will be hitting targets farther away than that.”

“That is awesome!” said Gelio. “Laser firing wrist bracelets!”

“That is one attribute of this weapon, but there is far more it can do,” explained Hephaestus.  “Most of it you will figure out on your own, like Dyamion and Tharros with their weapons, but I will give you a few other tricks.”

Gennai, now frighten to clinch his fists, looked at Hephaestus.  “Are you sure this was meant for me? I am afraid I will blow something up I do not want to.”

Hephaestus gave a small chuckle and the General rolled his eyes. “If you do not want it to fire, then it won’t. Only you can make it work.” Gennai gave a sigh of relief but still was nervous to clinch his fists. “Also, you control how powerful you want it to fire. So, you can make it only hurt a tiny bit or a lot.” Gennai looked at the devices on his wrist and still his face shows uncertainty, but all could tell he already liked them.

“Now let me show you some of those other tricks,” said Hephaestus as he reached down and carefully grasped one of Gennai’s hand with his large forefinger and thumb. He then pressed a small, tiny button on the device and a tiny drop of the red glowing liquid dropped out on his finger. He then gestured to Gennai to take the liquid from his finger. 

Gennai did so nervously and then held the liquid between his tiny thumb and forefinger. He was amazed at the texture as he rolled the liquid on his finger. He felt that it was generating a lot of heat, and the red glow was memorizing. “What is this liquid? It feels so different than anything I have felt before.”

“It is molten plasma. Highly radioactive and extremely flammable,” said Hephaestus. Gennai and the other eight stared in horror as the God of Fire and the General lightly laugh at their scared faces.  “This plasma comes from the Suns of Olympus. Very powerful stuff.”

“If it is so powerful,” said Gennai, “then why is it not melting by hand to a burnt crisp?”

“Actually, it is,” explained Hephaestus. He bent down and looked directly into Gennai’s eyes.  “But your body is regenerating so quickly that you cannot even tell.” Gennai’s eyes grew twice as big. He looked for burns on his tiny hands. When seeing none, he looked again at the molten plasma that he was holding with greater admiration.

“Now the fun part,” said Hephaestus as he took the molten plasma from Gennai’s fingers. He then pulled at the plasma using his other hand and a string began to form between his two large hands.  “You can now wrap it around something, then walk away and then detonate it creating another large explosion.” Gennai’s eyes grew even bigger knowing he would like to see that. 

Hephaestus then twisted the string with one hand which made the molten plasma string begin whipping around. “You can also use it as a whip or rope as long as you lower down the heat of the plasma.”

“How do I do that?” asked Gennai.

“By simply thinking it,” answered Hephaestus.

“That is remarkable,” said Tharros as she stood stunned like all eight of the others.

“And, one last trick,” said Hephaestus as he held the molten plasma in both hands. “You can make almost any tool or weapon by simply,” he pulled quickly at the plasma, and it became solid creating a small metal rod. He then used his thumb and forefinger on his left hand to thin out one side which created a very sharp blade. He then created a unique design using his thumb and forefinger on his right hand. He was actually melting the metal with his bare hands. He then held the object in his right hand.  It was a small, very sharp blade.

“Incredible!” yelled Gennai.

“Oh, there is a ton you can do with this stuff,” said Hephaestus. All could tell that he was enjoying the moment.  “And now the final trick.” 

He aimed the new created blade at the target and flung it across the field.  The blade hit dead center. 

“Now watch the target,” he warned. Everyone quickly looked at the target. At that moment, Hephaestus snapped his fingers, and the target exploded which frighten everyone, except the General.  Hephaestus gave out a large roaring laugh which surprised everyone more than the explosion. The God of Fire then saw all eyes on him which made him clear his throat, stand straight up and said in a nervous tone, “That was fun.”  A few anxious laughs and looks were seen and heard.

Hephaestus then looked at the Dunamis who met his gaze. “I have the perfect weapon for you, Centaur!” he yelled as he pointed his large finger in Dunamis’s direction. He then reached down and grasp an object from the table. The Centaur’s eyes grew twice their size as he saw Hephaestus tossing a large object his direction. Dunamis caught the object and after examining it, the same look that the others had was found on his face as well.

Hephaestus, sensing from Dunamis’s reactions, said, “It appears that I will need to explain your weapon as well.”

“Sorry, Hephaestus,” said Dunamis. “I am not sure what this is.”

“Looks like a metal pole,” said Gelio.

“It is definitely not a pole,” said Hephaestus. “The material is much like that of Tharros’s weapon. It is easily adaptable to any situation that you encounter.”

“How?” asked Dunamis, twisting the object around in his hands looking for a lever or button.

“By simply bending the material into the shape you wish,” said Hephaestus with a look that said that the answer was obvious.

“What shape do I want to change it into?”

“You have to ask?” said the God of Fire with his broad smile. “What weapons do Centaurs love most.”

Dunamis gave his large smile and began to shape the object by bending the material easily.  When he was done, the shape of the object looked exactly like a bow. He shifted the newly created weapon from hand to hand and twisting it around.

“Not heavy enough for you?” asked Hephaestus, appearing to already know what bothered him.

“Feels very light.”

“That is because you haven’t molten the metal,” said Hephaestus. A confused look appeared on Dunamis’s face. “Your new powers have many abilities that all of you will discover. One ability is to pass your fire or power or energy to objects. This will allow you to create powerful weapons.”

All nine became intrigued at this comment and stepped closer to Dunamis, hoping to see how this was done.

“How do I do that?” asked Dunamis.

“The same way that Tharros did with her weapon. The same way that Dyamion is doing now as he creates his weapon. The same way that little Gennai was able to hold molten plasma in his tiny hand.  You sense it in your mind and feel it in your heart. Soon, it becomes a part of you, and you will not even have to think about it.” He pointed at the General. “Ask Perseus how natural it becomes.” The General nodded his head in agreement.

“I feel you will have to guide me on the first time,” said Dunamis.

Hephaestus nodded at Dunamis.  “Close your eyes.” 

Dunamis obeyed. 

“Now, envision you bow.” 

Dunamis gave a heavy sigh and appeared to be pondering hard on something.

“Can you see it?”

Dunamis nodded.

“Now, feel your energy flow from you to your weapon.”

A small moment passed, and nothing happened.

“Breathe normally.  Don’t fight it.  Just feel the energy flow through your body to your weapon.”

Suddenly, it appeared that the object that Dunamis had in his hands, as started on fire, beginning where his hands was holding the weapon. The fire began moving slowly over the object until it was fully engulfed. Then, the fire was distinguished and what was left was a beautiful, distinguished bow.

“Wow!” said Igetis. “Most impressive!”

“Very good job, Centaur!” yelled Hephaestus. Congratulatory yells were heard from all the others.

Dunamis looked over his bow and was very pleased with the results. Then he noticed something concerning. “Where is the string or wire that shoots the arrows?”

“Oh,” said Hephaestus with his broad smile. “That is the best part.” He approached the Centaur and pointed at the bow. “Carefully place your fingers where the string should be.”

Dunamis obeyed and as his fingers touched the location where the string of the bow should be a line of energy appeared that attached at the top of the bow and bottom. This surprised the Centaur, and he quickly moved his hand away.

“It will not hurt, Centaur,” laughed Hephaestus. “It is your weapon. It is a part of you.”

Dunamis again placed his hand at the same location and the line of energy appeared again.  Dunamis smiled and then looked confused on what to do next.

Hephaestus pointed at the General who then touched the same symbol, and another target appeared in the middle of the field. “Aim for that target, pull back on that wire and let the arrow fly.”

“What arrow?” asked Dunamis.

“You will see.”

Dunamis obeyed.  As he pulled back on the wire, an energy arrow appeared exactly where you would place one on the bow. Dunamis’s smile grew bigger as he raised the bow and aimed at the target.  After a few seconds, he let go of the wire and the arrow flew towards the target. It missed with only inches to spare and landed with an explosion. The Centaur then lowered the bow, and all could see that he was very pleased. “I am a little rusty but,” he raised the bow, “this is amazing!  Thank you!”  He nodded towards Hephaestus who nodded back.

“That is not the only weapon you can make with that material, but I will let you figure that out on your own,” said Hephaestus already turning to pick up another object on the table. Dunamis could only look at his newly created bow and pondered on what Hephaestus was talking about changing his weapon. “Why would he want to change this beautiful weapon?”

“Now we come to the lizard,” said Hephaestus as his eyes stared towards Filos. The lizard’s face became nervous not knowing how he would react. He had never liked violence of any kind, but he knew that he had to fight now, or freedom was gone forever.

Hephaestus placed what looked like a pair of heavy-duty gloves before him. “Are these gloves?”  asked Filos. “My skin more than protects me from the cold.”

“It is not to protect you from the cold,” explained the God of Fire. “It is to protect you from the incredible heat that these will allow you to create.”

“That sounds most impressive. You must know that us lizards like the heat.”

“I built these with that in mind,” said Hephaestus with his broad smile. “Go ahead and try them on.”

Filos carefully picked up the gloves and placed them on his hands but stopped because his nerves got the best of him.

“I promise you,” assured Hephaestus, “that they will not hurt you. They will become like a part of you.”

He continued to place the gloves upon his hands, and they were a perfect fit.  He was very surprised on how wonderful they felt. It almost seemed that he was not wearing anything on his hands at all. He gave a look of surprise to Hephaestus, who acknowledged with a nod.

“Now, that’s have some fun, shall we?” said Hephaestus with a unique grin which made the little lizard a bit anxious.

“What do you mean by fun?” asked Filos. His shaky voice told all around that he was nervous about what was to happen next.

“Will start small,” explained Hephaestus, “so that you will be able to handle your new weapons and then will end with a big finish.”

“Ok,” whispered Filos. His large green eyes darting back and forth wishing he had a place he could hide. His skin color was switching to a different color almost every second.

“First, hold out your hand with palm side facing up,” instructed Hephaestus. The rest of the group gathered in closer wanting to see what was going to happen.

Filos obeyed the orders and held his hand out.  His hand was shaking.  “This, ok?”  He asked.

“Perfect,” announced Hephaestus. “Now concentrate on your hand and try to imagine energy flowing from you to your hand.”

Filos began to breathe heavily, and his eyes focused on his held-out hand.  He then looked around confused when nothing happened.

“Patience,” instructed the God of Fire.  “Just focus on your hand.  It will happen.”

That was what Filos was worried about because he did not know what “it” was. Still, he focused on his held-out hand once again. A few moments later his hand began to glow.  This scared him and his large green eyes grew twice their size.

“Steady!” warned Hephaestus as all around them began whispering and moving in closer, which excited the poor lizard being in the middle of the group. “Keep concentrating on your hand!”

Filos took long deep breathes and continued to focus on his hand.  To his surprise, the glow on his hand intensified. He only wished he knew what was going to happen next. Then, a blue flame lit upon his hand with a thundering pop that scared everyone standing around him. It stayed lit and continued to burn.

“Well done, Filos!” yelled Hephaestus, clapping his large hands, which sounded like thunder with each clap. “I have to admit that I was a little nervous at first, but you impressed me.”

“Is that it?” said Gelio shocking the others. “He can create a small flame in his hands. That will not stop the Kraken or Zeus.”

“Oh, we are just getting started,” informed Hephaestus. 

Filos swallowed hard thinking that creating fire in his hand was enough for him.

“Now, Filos,” said Hephaestus in an almost whisper, “imagine what you feel will be a perfect weapon and create that weapon using the fire within your hands.”

“How is that possible?” asked the little lizard.

“Best not to dwell on the physics of how it is done,” explained Hephaestus. “That will come in time. Now is the time to see what you can create.”

“No, I mean how do I do that?!” questioned Filos, nearly shouting. “I am scared out of my mind because I have a blue flame burning in my hand and I do not know how I did that or what to do with it!”

“Breathe Filos,” said Hephaestus calmly. “I promise you that you will learn to work with this power. It is overwhelming at first, but you will find it to be a strong ally.”

“You speak of it as another species,” said Filos, still focusing on the burning flame in his tiny hand. “Is this a living creature?”

“It is a part of you Filos,” answered Hephaestus. Igetis gave his sly smile because the answer felt like a perfect response. The others began to nod. “It listens to you. It understands who you are. It will only be commanded by you.” The little lizard gave another gulp. “Now Filos. Cup the flame using both hands and then begin to shape the fire using the image in your mind as a guide. You will find that your hands will follow that image in your mind.”

The little lizard obeyed and followed the God of Fire’s direction. At first, it felt like he was going to extinguish the fire but as he concentrated harder on the image that he had in his mind, the fire began to take shape. The image that he had in his mind was that of a double-bladed sword with the handle in the middle. Within a few minutes, that image was now being held in the little lizard’s two hands. Fire still burned from the weapon. Filos could hardly believe what he had created.

“Well done, Filos!” shouted Igetis.

“Well done indeed!” said Hephaestus. “Now Filos. Show us what you got!”

“Um…,” questioned the little lizard. “Not sure what you mean.”

“Swing the weapon around. Show us some moves.”

Filos began to swing the double-bladed sword back and forth with not much energy because he had never been in a fight. He only created the first weapon that came to his mind. The rest of the group lightly smile as they all could tell that Filos did not have much skill in combat.

“I can see that we have much work to do,” said Hephaestus with his broad smile.

“Don’t worry,” said the General. “When were done, he will know what to do with that double-bladed sword of fire and any other weapon he creates.”

Filos stopped swinging his weapon and carefully lowered it to waist height. He gave a small smile. “Sorry.  I am not much of a fighter.”

“No reason to be sorry,” comforted Hephaestus. “I believe you showed yourself that you have power that you never dream of having. It was a very good start.”

“But wait,” said Gelio. “Where is this big finish that you promised?”

“You mean having Filos create a weapon out of fire is not enough?” joked Hephaestus.

“Well, I guess,” answered the silly snake. “But I was expecting…something bigger.”

“What do you say Filos?” smiled the God of Fire. “Should we give Gelio what he wants?”

“Um…maybe if it is not too big.”

“Oh, come on Filos,” answered Hephaestus. “You have to learn to trust your power.” 

The little lizard took a deep breath. “What should I do?”

Hephaestus held up both of his giant hands and said, “With one large clap,” he clapped his hands together, “collapse the weapon between both hands, then throw the fire towards that target in the field.” He pointed at the target that Dunamis had missed by inches still standing in the field.

Filos shook his head, unsure about how he was supposed to do this. He took another deep breath and then with one quick move, he clapped his tiny hands together. To his surprise, the weapon collapsed easily. He could still feel the flame between his hands. He then looked at the target far out in the field and determined the distance between him and the target. He then closed his eyes and with one quick motion, he placed his hands by his hip and then pushed the fire from his hands toward the target.  With amazement, he saw the flame explode from his cupped hands like a rocket. It flew like a burning meteor towards the target. It struck the target with a direct hit which disintegrated it with a large explosion. The little lizard could only stare with his large green eyes while the rest of the group shouted with excitement.

“Well, Gelio?” asked Hephaestus. “Was that big enough for you?”

Gelio nodded in agreement as she too stared out into the field where the target used to be. A large smile was seen on her face showing she liked every bit of it.

“Wonderful, Gelio,” said Hephaestus. “Because now it is your turn.”

She turned and looked at his large, bearded, chisel face with a look of pure excitement and said, “I hope it is as good as Filos’s weapon.”

“Oh Gelio, you silly snake,” said the God of Fire. “I promise that you will love what I have in mind for you.” He took a container off the table and then at the surprise of everyone, dumped the contents on the table in front of where Gelio was standing. 

She began to look through the contents and her face of confusion turned to inexplicable joy.  “Are these really what I think they are? Could this be possible?”

“You are correct, Gelio,” smiled the Hephaestus. “You are going to build your own personal army of tiny robots.”

She nearly fainted after hearing the words. “This has been my joy for I don’t know how long!” The rest of the group began laughing and smiling at the reaction that Gelio was giving. They have never seen her happier and she could barley control herself as she began connecting and snapping parts together. “My own robot army! There are so many ideas that are flowing through my head right now!”

“I am hoping it is not Universal domination with your own Artificial Intelligence,” snickered Dyamion.

“Do not give her any ideas!” shouted Tharros.

“I believe these robots will be helpful for the team if I know Gelio’s heart,” commented Igetis.

“Yes! Yes! Yes!” shouted Gelio, still looking through all the parts. “I promise that they will be no danger to you. I will not program them to attack any of you, unless of course, you make me mad.” The last part she said looking at Hephaestus with what looked like an evil grin. She then gave the God of Fire a wink and went back to work.

Hephaestus gave a small chuckle. “Now Gelio,” began Hephaestus as she continued to build.  “I saved the best part for last.” 

She stopped and stared at Hephaestus. “What more could there possibly be?” she thought.

“Not only will these be your own army of robots, fully armed with the finest of weapons, but your mind will be synced with each of them.” Gelio stood perfectly still. The only movement was the blinking of her large round yellow eyes. All saw she was in shock. “You will be able to control each of them with a simple thought or signal. They will be your eyes, ears, arms, legs and oh yes, nose because they will be able to perform all your actions because they will be attached to your mind.”

After hearing the last comment, Gelio fainted and fell to the ground, coiled up into a circle. Two of her team members ran to her aid. The God of Fire only laughed. 

The General covered his face because he was laughing so hard. In between laughs, he was able to say, “I knew she would love it!”

“While Gelio recovered from her shock,” commented Hephaestus, “that us move on to the giant spider.”

All eight eyes of Makarios looked at Hephaestus. All eight legs nervously shook.

“Your weapon, my friend, is the easiest to build because you already have it.”

Makarios began searching around with all eight eyes looking in different directions.  After not seeing anything around him, he asked, “Where?”

“Well of course, it is what you can create now,” said Hephaestus. “What all of your species can make, but now your creations are much more powerful.”

“You are talking about making webs?” asks Makarios, humbly. Hephaestus nodded in approval.  “Webs are more for building. Occasionally I find a nice insect to wrap up and suck out the blood.” The other eight took one step back after hearing that comment. “Now a days, my species will eat almost anything.”

“I understand how your species has evolved,” explained Hephaestus. “I personally have visited your planet and was amazed at the incredible creations that your species created all with web.”  Makarios cheeks blushed from the great words of praise that his species was receiving. “But the things that you will be able to create will far exceed them all.”

Makarios face looked unconvinced. “I am not so sure about that. I have only built a few things but nothing like I have seen master web builders build.”

“I promise you in time, you will see that I am right.”

Makarios gave the God of Fire a huge smile. “Thank you for your faith in me.”

“Of course,” said Hephaestus, nodding his head. “Why not give us a small demonstration now of what you can build?”

Makarios eyes began to twitch in all directions again. “What should I build?”

“Something that you would use in battle,” suggested Hephaestus. “What idea comes to mind?”

“I always thought it would be neat to be able to shoot out web balls that would then explode on impact,” said Makarios nervously. “Sorry, I know it sounds dumb, but I think it would be effective.”

“Sounds like a perfect weapon to me,” said Hephaestus. “Very effective.  Let’s see it.”

“Um…right now?”  Makarios eyes twitched again. “I do not know if I can.”

“Never know unless you try.”

Makarios began weaving a tiny web ball using the spinnerets located on his abdomen. Once he had it created, he lifted it up with two legs to show Hephaestus.

“Now finish building it by holding it with your legs and imaging what you want it to do,” explained Hephaestus.

Makarios held the tiny web ball with two of his front legs and imagined what he wanted the web ball to do. The ball of web began to glow which shocked the giant spider and he immediately looked to Hephaestus for help.

The God of Fire smiled. “Does not seem that you need any help from me. Appears that you are ready to test your weapon.” He pointed at the General and another target appeared. Makarios lowered the ball of web back down to his spinnerets located on his abdomen. He loaded it into the spinneret and with one quick reflex the ball of web flew towards its target. It was a slight miss but when it impacted the ground, a large explosion was both felt and seen. Everyone except Makarios began to shout and holler. Makarios looked at Hephaestus and gave him a small shrug.

“Nicely done Makarios,” observed Hephaestus. “Now that’s move on…”

Makarios raised a leg high into the air which made Hephaestus stop. “God of Fire, sir. This is wonderful and I mean no disrespect to showing me this incredible power, but…”

“You want laser guns for each of your legs,” smiled Hephaestus. 

The Giant Spider was both shocked and excited that he knew exactly what he was thinking. He nodded and his cheeks became red again.

Hephaestus picked up a well-used container of tools and parts and began sorting through them.  In minutes, he had over fifty different parts sitting in front of him. He then assembled the parts together with amazing speed, while the others watched in astonishment. It appeared that he was not even thinking but knew instinctively how to assemble the weapon. In less than a minute, eight laser guns each attached to a hardness were sitting before him. “Try them on.”

Makarios stood shocked for a moment, but then began to place each laser gun on each leg.  They were a perfect fit. He danced around to see how they felt, but also because of his excitement. 

“That us see them in action,” expressed Hephaestus.

Makarios eyes narrowed as he viewed the target. With his quick reflexes, he lifted one leg at a time and pulled the trigger. Eight laser blasts were seen flying at the target, but not one of them hit. He turned and showed his red cheeks again, embarrassed at his poor performance.

“Give it time and you will be the fastest gunslinger in the Universe, along of course with the greatest web builder as well,” said Hephaestus as he pulled at his large beard. Makarios nodded his head. “Now it is the Mati’s turn.”

Atromitos did not even flinch. She folded her arms, looked directly at Hephaestus and waited patiently for him to explain her new weapon.

“Atromitos, your species are known for their incredible power and fierce determination,” explained Hephaestus. “Even the Kraken would rather negotiate than attack as you well know.” Still no emotion was shown in her face. “But true courage is standing up when no one will and risking one’s life by fighting for those that are being destroyed.”  A slight grin was seen but only for a second. “That is why your weapon is already with you as well. It is the fierce roar that comes from the fire inside you. A power that can also be shaped into powerful weapons.”

“How can my roar be shaped into a weapon?” asked Atromitos. “Other than scaring or intimidating another, a roar cannot be a weapon. It is just a loud noise.”

“For all other species of your kind, you are correct,” explained Hephaestus. “But yours is quite powerful.” She stiffen her back and narrowed her eyes. This comment interest her greatly. “I am most positive that a powerful roar from you will send approaching enemies flying backwards because of its powerful force. But the energy from that roar can be shaped into extraordinary weapons and be quite useful in battle.”

She then gave a sly smile of her own. “I find it hard to believe you. I have never been known for my loud roar.”

“I think a little convincing of your talents is needed,” commented Hephaestus as he pointed at the General once again. 

A holographic creature appeared approximately one-hundred feet behind her. Hephaestus nodded in that direction, and she turned to see the creature. It was Kraken. Her eyes widen as she saw it approaching her. She backed up and hit the table because of freight.

“Do not be afraid, Atromitos,” said Hephaestus trying to comfort her. “It is not a real Kraken, but it can slightly harm you.”

“How slightly?” she asked as the creature continued to approach her. The others were backing away as well.

“Don’t worry about that,” commented Hephaestus. “Just show yourself what you can do.”

“I do not think I can,” said Atromitos.

“Well, you will have to do something because it is getting closer.”

“You sometimes can be a real jerk!” she shouted as the creature was right upon her.

“Use that emotion and send him flying.”

Atromitos sighed deeply, stiffen her back and with all her might, she let out a gigantic roar.

Immediately the creature flew into the air backwards and landed a good hundred feet from where it was. For a moment she only stared and then she turned and gave the God of Fire a nod.

“Now, shape your weapon,” instructed Hephaestus.

“How?” she said looking at her empty hands.

“By catching the energy that comes from inside you and shaping it according to the image in your mind.”

“You want me to roar into my hands?” asked the Mati.

“It will not have to be as powerful, but that will work.”

Atromitos gave the God of Fire a sarcastic look, but then decided to try it. She gave out a small roar into her hands. She felt silly at first but then she saw streams of energy coming from her mouth and forming what looked like rings of fire around her hands. She began to move her hands and could see them moving along with her hands. The Mati tugged at the rings, and she discovered that they were warm to the touch but not overbearing. She saw that they could be bent and shaped into whatever shape she desired. 

“Now think of the weapon and create it,” advised the God of Fire. The others stood in amazement as they saw Atromitos continue to bend and shape the rings that surround her hands. After a small moment, she had in her hand a glowing sword of fire.

“Now that us see what you can do with your new weapon,” said Hephaestus as he pointed at the General once again.

The same creature appeared and began to approach Atromitos. She took a battle stance and readied her new weapon. The creature saw that she was ready and quicken its pace.  When it was a few steps away, it advanced towards her with its arms open wide and claws at the ready to strike. The Kraken solider attempted to strike her with a hard swipe of its right hand.  Atromitos quickly chopped of the right hand of the creature with her new weapon and then the left hand when it attempts the same swipe.  The creature then stood with both hands gone not knowing how to attack but then lunged at her with its fierce teeth. Atromitos then stabbed the creature through the chest which stopped it in place.  The creature stood and stared at the glowing blade through its chest and then it looks at Atromitos and saw those magnificent golden eyes. The eyes of a species that was growing very confident in her abilities. The creature then roared and exposed its sharp teeth. She gave a sly smile and then quickly retracted the sword from its chest and with a quick strike, sliced off the creature’s head. The other eight only stared.  The General gave a huge smile. For a moment there was complete silence and then a noise that sounded like thunder. All turned to see the God of Fire clapping hard while hooting and hollering.  The other eight joined in.

“Very well done, Atromitos!” shouted Hephaestus. “A few hours in training and you may be able to beat the General here in a sword battle.” The General nodded his approval. Atromitos gave a slight grin. “Listen to your power and you will be able to create powerful weapons that can take on any creature.”

“Thank you, Hephaestus,” said Atromitos with a nod.  She then lifted her glowing sword and began to practice moves that she learned from her previous battle trainings.

“Now we come back to the Lykos,” commented Hephaestus. “That us see what he has designed.”

Dyamion picked up what appeared to be a very technical and detailed sniper rifle. The handle was crafted to fit perfectly in his large hands. The barrel and chamber’s weight matched that of the handle so that it was perfectly balanced. The scope’s height and placement were set so Dyamion could easily look through the scope even with his large snout.  It was perfectly made for the wolf to hunt any prey.

“Very well done, Dyamion!” congratulated Hephaestus. “A sign of a great hunter is the weapon and you have shown that you are a hunter.”

“Thank you,” said Dyamion with a confused look. “But there is no firing pin or striker to fire a bullet from this rifle. There is no power supply to fire any lasers or anything from the rifle. Plus, it is still clay or whatever this stuff is. I mean it is easy to shape, but how do I change it into an actual weapon?  Also, there is other functionality that needs to be added to be perfect. I have to adjust the handle a little bit, so I am perfectly aligned. The barrel needs a small amount of work, but I will have it complete here in maybe an hour or two.”

“I know your type,” explained Hephaestus. “Very technical and detailed in everything you do.  You are always so precise. That is why I allowed you to create your own weapon because only you can be that perfect.” Hephaestus gave him his broad smile. Dyamion only grinned back knowing the God of Fire is right. “In time you will be able to make any type of gun for whatever circumstance you are in.”

“You mean I am going to create my own arsenal?” asked Dyamion.

Hephaestus only smiled and began to stroke his large beard. “You will change this weapon into another type of gun to handle the situation that you are up against.”

“How will I be able to do that when I do not know what circumstance I will be up against?” asked the wolf.

The broad smile of Hephaestus remained. “You will learn to change your weapon multiple times while in battle. This will make you the perfect hunter and fighter.”

“You see how long it took me to create one?” asked Dyamion. “I was creating this one to last forever. To be the perfect weapon.”

“And you will create it again and again and learn to do it in a matter of seconds.”

“You must be joking!” shouted Dyamion with a stunned face. “A blade or spear is one thing, but a rifle or gun is completely different. I still do not even know how I will fire the weapon without all the parts.”

“Power from you will fire the weapon, plus you will also forge it,” responded Hephaestus.

“How?”

“By simply transferring your power to the weapon.”

“How!?” shouted Dyamion with an almost growl. All saw he was becoming frustrated.

Hephaestus calmly walked over to Dyamion and placed his large hand on the shoulder of the wolf. “I know all this is brand new and is difficult to understand, but in time you will learn. For now, concentrate on this weapon. Learn to feel and transfer power from you to the weapon. You will see the incredible power you hold.” He then stepped back and nodded at the Lykos to continue.

Dyamion grasped the rifle made out of clay or whatever the material was and gave a heavy sigh.  He then closed his eyes and began to imagine power leaving him and transferring to the weapon. For a long moment, nothing happened, and all felt that Dyamion had given up. Then a glow began to appear on his hands. Dyamion opened his eyes and was stunned at what he was seeing.  He looked at Hephaestus.

“Concentrate,” said Hephaestus calmly.  “Allow it to happen.  Do not be frighten.”

Dyamion continued to concentrate. The glow began to brighten more and appeared to be fire.  It then totally engulfed the rifle, and a change began to take place. The material burned into a perfectly polished rifle, including all details that Dyamion had created. He held up the rifle, his eyes were gigantic not believing what he just did. 

“Well done!” shouted Dyamion. “The weapon looks absolutely perfect!”

Dyamion studied the weapon and looked over each part. He then looked at Hephaestus. “What do I fire and how?”

“Energy from your power can be shaped to fire from any weapon. You are the striker and the firing pin.” Hephaestus broad smile now returned.  “Try it out.” 

Hephaestus pointed at the General and another holographic creature appeared. The creature began running at Dyamion. The wolf quickly raised the rifle and aimed at the approaching creature. His heartbeat accelerated seeing a Kraken creature storming at him through the scope of the rifle. He imagined power transferring from him to the weapon. He then slowly pulled the trigger. Nothing happened.

He glanced over at Hephaestus, and he only nodded his head as if to say, “Patience.”  The creature was now two-hundred feet away and closing quickly. Its large teeth were exposed, and its claws were drawn and ready to strike. Dyamion looked through the scope again and took another breath and then pulled the trigger. A large pop was heard, and a glowing projectile fired out of the barrel. It hit the creature directly in the chest which stopped it dead in its tracks. A large hole was now seen that went completely through the creature. The Kraken solider looked at the hole and then at Dyamion who looked stunned.  The creature then fell to its knees and evaporated.

The God of Fire placed a large hand on Dyamion’s shoulder once again. “Perfect shot. I would have expected nothing less from you.” Dyamion gave him a large grin and then looked at the rifle. He then looked back at Hephaestus and nodded. 

Hephaestus then walked back to the table that was once full of many weapons but now there was only one weapon left.  He then looked at Igetis who gave him his famous smile.

“Your weapons is simple,” said Hephaestus as he picked up the weapon off the table. “One simple weapon for you because your main weapon is your mind.”

“Well,” said Igetis, “it always has been, so I expect nothing less now.”

“I love your boldness,” said Hephaestus. “Some may say what you lack in humility, you make up in leadership.”

Igetis only nodded. The other eight did not say anything but their look said it all.

“Your weapon, Igetis,” said Hephaestus as he presented the weapon to him holding it in both hands. “Be extremely careful because it is very sharp. It can cut through almost anything.”

Igetis took the handle of the weapon. The weight of the weapon was extremely light, and the handle appeared to be perfectly designed for his hand. The top part of the weapon was still sheathed with a type of material. He grasped the sheath and pulled it off the weapon. What he saw was a very narrow blade that appeared to be almost transparent. The sly grin appeared on his face which told everyone that he liked it.

“This weapon is made out of the same material as those blades of Perseus,” commented Hephaestus as he stroked is long beard, his eyes staring directly at those of Igetis. “Only yours is designed for someone of a small stature and cut very thin to minimize weight but also makes the blade extremely sharp. Perseus prefers a thicker blade to block projectiles and bash enemies to bits. Plus, he has two which allows him to multi-task. Blocking incoming laser fire while smashing the skull of a Kraken.” Hephaestus stared in the General’s direction who smiled back. “He prefers to be right in the middle of the battle, heading the charge.” Hephaestus looked back at Igetis, leaned forward and his eyes narrowed.  Igetis’s face did not change. “You…You are not Perseus. You know that your strengths are that of council and leadership. Your greatest weapon is your mind.” Igetis nodded his approval at that comment. “That others do the fighting that enjoy it. But, if you have to, you will fight to defend your team. That is why you have only one weapon with one simple use.”

“You know me very well,” said Igetis. “This is exactly the time of weapon I prefer.”

“Like all the other weapons,” explained Hephaestus, “energy can flow into it from you which makes it glow like fire and become more powerful. But I believe you will use it as a light for others to follow then as a weapon.” Igetis, again nodded his approval. “Only when you have to will you use it as a weapon.” 

Igetis held the blade up near his face and his reflection showed in the blade. He took a deep breath and concentrated on the blade. Almost immediately, the blade began to glow. It became brighter and brighter which made the other eight shield their eyes. Hephaestus only stared and a large broad smile appeared on his face. The light then dimmed, and the blade returned to its normal state.

“That light will guide many,” said Hephaestus with his serious face. “A light that can be seen a million miles away for all that are looking for hope in a Universe filled with darkness.”

“Talk about your metaphor,” said Gelio. 

Hephaestus only rolled his eyes and then walked over to the General. “My work is done here, Perseus. Now they are all yours.” The General nodded in approval. He then walked toward the exit of the large stadium.  As he exited, he said, “Don’t be too rough on them. They only became gods yesterday.”

0