III. How Can One Mess With Fate?
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

''The universe defines fate as the flow of a river, it has a determined path, but the strength and rockiness of it depends on the external influences on the river.’’

 

Nikias stares in shock at his walk-in closet. He's royalty so of course he would own a quite considerable amount of clothes, but he didn't think it would be this much. The closet is practically the same size as his room, filled with clothes, shoes and jewelry. A prince never dresses himself, suddenly words that he read in the novel comes to his mind. The silver-haired man should call back for his servants to dress him, per usual, but the idea of another man or even a woman helping him dress makes Nikias want to throw up. I hate people touching me. And that's something that comes from his time as Vahe, being a pretty boy from the slums, he was touched a lot by unknown people with false pretenses.

It can be counted on one hand the people Nikias would allow to touch him. He enters the closet and starts looking at the clothes, each piece is unique, they even are made with good quality materials, all that you would expect a Prince to have. As a man with not much notion of fashion, especially from this world, the silver-haired man chooses clothes that he would wear normally. Well fitted black pants, a silk white shirt that's slightly open on his chest, a black coat with small pearls on its sleeves and black boots. The attire makes the second Prince look elegant yet simple, as Vahe the man used to wear black clothes all the time and that won't change just because he's now seen as someone else. His soul it's still his and that's all that matters.

For the first time after waking up as Nikias, the man leaves his room. The Palace corridors look like museums from the world he came from, the walls are made with white marble and they're decorated with beautiful patterns made of gold, between rooms there's also displays of treasures or even just outstanding works of art. Differently from what one must imagine, the corridors are bursting with people, all of them bow when passing through the Prince, but none stay long enough to direct a word at him. It's at this moment that he realizes just how much everyone despises the second Prince, their eyes full of annoyance and disgust.

Nikias walks with false confidence, he's not used to the attention, however what good would it make showing so? He realizes that he has no idea where the dining room is, lucky for him he passes Alkaios room at the same time his brother is leaving for breakfast.

“Brother”, his hoarse voice startles the Crown Prince, the brother’s eyes are filled with confusion but he recomposes himself quickly. Nodding towards his younger brother and turning to walk towards the dining room, Nikias follows him quickly like a puppy following its owner. Every servant that walks past them shoots them eyes of confusion, it is quite disturbing indeed to see the wicked younger Prince following the kind older one like some kind of innocent soul.

“Why are you walking behind me?” Alkaios asks with a sigh, his voice is sweet and silkier than ever, he probably just barely woke up. “As a Prince you must walk beside me, we're still equals”. Wow, he’s kind hearted for sure, Nikias thinks with a smile, he doesn't want to get on the bad side of the Crown Prince, after all, he's his biggest death flag.

“Sorry, brother”, Nikias says with his best innocent expression, it's not easy to look innocent when your heart is full of darkness. Vahe wasn't as wicked as the old Nikias, but he's no pushover. He just needs to look like one. The man walks a bit faster to catch onto his brother, this time walking beside him. “How was I before?” It's a stupid question if you consider Vahe read all about the old Nikias, however, to appear like a person with no memories, he needs to ask it.

Alkaios is suspicious, that much is obvious, after all Nikias wasn't the type to follow him around, no, he used to look at his older brother with hate in his eyes. Although right now he looks just like a harmless younger brother, just like his friends talk about their younger siblings. Cute, Alkaios thinks when he steals a glance at his younger brother who's pouting at his lack of answer.

He's hard to crack, Nikias thinks, annoyed, my older brother would never… A headache strikes the man, almost as if his brain is burning inside his own head, he stops on his tracks, catching the attention of Alkaios, who turns to see the younger man agonizing in pain.

“Vahe, eat quickly, before our parents come back” a blinding smile of a gorgeous eleven year old, black eyes and hair combined with a gorgeous personality, that was Zerah, Vahe's older brother by four years. He ruffles the boy's head with pride while the younger Vahe's eats to his heart content the hard old bread. “Don't worry, I'll protect you, my little brother”.

A memory. It's hard to think that a sudden memory about his childhood would appear at a moment like this. However due to trauma, Vahe had no memories of his life before he completed thirteen. So suddenly remembering a moment with the older brother he never remembered the existence of, is a shock in itself.

“Nikias, what's happening?” Urgency is heard on Alkaios voice, even if he tries being cold towards his hellish younger brother he can't avoid but worry seeing the man in pain. “Call a doctor!” He yells towards a servant, he touches Nikias' arms but it's suddenly pushed away.

Don't touch me”, the youngest Prince whispers, trying to recover after the pain suddenly goes away, just as fast as it came. His eyes are filled with disgust, Alkaios is taken aback, he's used to that gaze, but the youngest seemed fine just a moment ago. Zerah… Nikias thinks it's the first time in four years that he remembered the name of his older brother. Tears gather in his eyes, pain in his chest and his head feels heavy. A sob is trapped in his throat, he's aware, though, of the eyes on him, however he isn't able to stop the flow of tears. 

The Crown Prince is frozen in place. When you're so used to the disgust and annoyance of your younger brother, you tend to spend a minimal amount of time with him. And even if you don't despise the younger boy, you tend to be cold and dismissive when he approaches you. What if he truly lost his memory? Alkaios thinks with heaviness in his heart. If he doesn't hate me anymore, does that mean that we can finally act like brothers? Or is it too late? His wish was well funded, after all the Crown Prince never hated Nikias, on the contrary, he always found the younger man adorable and lovable.

Yes, he was a doting brother inside.

After a few moments the doctor arrives to find Nikias sitting on the floor bawling his eyes out in silence and the Crown Prince staring at him in awe. “Your highness' ', he bows with caution. “Do you mind if I analyze you for a moment?” The doctor asks Nikias to stop crying for a moment. The silver-haired younger man shakes his head.

“There's no need, the pain is gone”, he gets up with his whole face and ears red like a cherry. “I'm sorry for the scene I caused”, he's embarrassed but can't actually explain what happened.

“It's okay Nikias, let's eat something”, Alkaios says with a faint smile. It's the first time he smiled towards his younger brother. Something in the book he regretted deeply.

The younger Prince nods, hiding his face with shame. “I can't believe I cried”, he scoffs.

“It's okay”, the Crown Prince repeats, walking next to his brother. “You used to cry a lot when you were a baby” Alkaios comments thinking fondly of the baby Nikias that cried for days with no end.

“I'm not a baby anymore”, Nikias laughs dryly at his brother. Repressing the thoughts of the brother he lost all those years back. He doesn't have the mental strength to think about the past he fought so much to forget.

“I keep forgetting that”, Alkaios comments under his breath. The second Prince wants to ask him to repeat as the man hasn't heard what he said, but they enter the dining room.

The room is majestic, the table is big enough to fit forty people, made of noble wood with golden decorations and on the ceiling is a huge chandelier powered up by mana crystals. The table is already with the plates and both the Emperor and Empress are already at their places. Emperor Magnus Valerius Chrysl is an imposing man, he has broad shoulders and a cold expression, he has the same golden eyes as Nikias, but his hair is black like the darkness of the night.

Close to the older man, both young Prince's look like babies waiting for the chance to prove their worth. No wonder Evangelia had a hard time defeating the Emperor, he's huge. Nikias' thinks with admiration. “Is he our father, brother?” He whispers even though he already knows the answer to that. 

For a second Alkaios almost wishes to tease the younger by saying no, but he decides not to play with the man's amnesia, considering the scene he saw previously at the Palace's corridor. “Correct”, the older Prince answers coldly, taking his seat next to their father, while Nikias sits next to their mother. The Empress stares at the men with admiration in her eyes, she truly loves both with utmost care, it must've hurt a lot… Nikias death.

“How are you feeling Nikki?” Empress Else smiles towards her younger son, the breakfast table has quite the feast, the younger man stares at the fancy plate with fancy tableware. In his life as Vahe he never learned how to use tableware, it sounds silly but he never thought of food as something to be enjoyed, it was something he ate only when absolutely necessary. He ate with his hands most of the time, once he attempted to use a spoon to eat soup, but ended up dropping the spoon most times, he had a hard time with something everyone said was so easy. 

“I'm a little better mother,” Nikias smiles innocently, “However, I can't seem to recall how to use the tableware”. His parents' reaction is one of pity and sadness.

The Emperor stares at him quietly, he doesn't seem to be a man of words, contrary to the Empress who expressed herself quite clearly, although his eyes still express pain in seeing his younger son in this situation. “It's okay, son, you can eat however you see fit for now, I'll ask the Butler to find you an etiquette teacher”, his words are just as cold as Alkaios’, but he sounds sincere.

“Thank you, father”, Nikias smiles, he's got nothing to lose by sucking up to his family members, after all, they're his ticket towards a long and healthy life. Especially considering they're the biggest force in the Empire, no one is known to be as strong as the Emperor, even the Empress hypnotic magic doesn't work on the man. “If I may, I would like to ask for teachers in all subjects, since I've been struggling to remember even the smallest details”, he tries to sound smart, trying not to be presumptuous and ends up getting on his father's bad side.

That's a bad habit of children from abusive households, but Vahe's childhood is a story for another chapter, as even he can't recall his parents wrongdoings. He successfully blocked those memories from his brain. However the Emperor is nothing like Vahe's father, he is too busy being over the moon on the fact that his younger son called him father for the first time in his life. The old Nikias was too scared of the Emperor's cold exterior to notice the amount of doting he received from the older man. 

“Of course Nikki,” The Empress responds, noticing her husband's stunned expression, of course she was the only one to notice. “As long as you're alive and healthy, we can begin from the start as many times as necessary”.

I feel touched, Nikias' thoughts as his heart stings with the Empress words. I feel so bad being the one receiving this love, but if I weren't here, her son would be dead. I can't figure out what's worse. “Even if I'm no longer the son you remember?” The question that was lingering inside his mind finally came out.

Empress Else thinks for a couple seconds, not sure how to respond to such a deep question, but after thinking she finds the answer quite obvious. “Of course, at the end of the day, you're still my son”. But that’s not true, Nikias thinks regretful, he wishes the guilt didn’t eat him up as much as it does, it’s not his fault that he ended up as Nikias, it wasn’t his wish to replace her son. However what the man doesn’t know is that… Well, unfortunately I’m not allowed to reveal it right now, but the guilt is misplaced and he is, right now, her son.

‘’What your mom said is true, Nikias, you’re the second star of the Empire and our son, that won’t change just because you forgot etiquette or changed your style’’, the youngest man’s ears burn with the comment, of course they would notice that he didn’t dress properly, but they were kind enough to not comment on it with disdain. Are they truly the wicked beings described in ‘Odd Eyes’? Or is it the heroine’s distorted view of them? His thoughts aren’t wrong, in the four books that composed the story, Evangelia never looked the Emperor and Empress with good eyes, she only put up with them in the first three timelines because of Alkaios, the novel constantly mentioned that the Crown Prince was the exception to the wickedness in the Imperial family. However that wasn’t the truth, she just hated them and loved Alkaios.

‘’In that case… I would like to learn archery’’, as Vahe, he always wanted to use a real bow and arrow, but those didn’t exist anymore in his world, the only contact he had with them was through the knowledge pod, however it was enough to pick his interest and admiration towards the weapon. And even though this world is advanced through mana stones, they still have the same rudimentary clothes, weapons and castles as in the early stages of Vahe’s world.

Alkaios raises his eyebrow, did the poison change the chemical composition of his brother’s brain? Nikias was never interested in weaponry, actually he never stepped inside the training grounds of the palace’s knights, he even refused to have a guard because he hated the idea of seeing blood. Therefore the second Prince was a recluse that only showed up in parties held by the Imperial family. At least as far as his brother knows. 

The truth is far darker as Nikias was a constant attendee of the black market and slave auctions, the man managed to befriend every single tainted soul in the Empire and he even had the company of two magicians that were important assets of the magician’s tower. The old Nikias was evil, however he lacked intelligence and was too innocent for his own good.

‘’That’s easy enough, the Exos Empire takes pride in our archers and swordsmen.’’ The Emperor responds with pride, and that’s a truth stated not only by him but also in the novel, as when the Empire became tainted with the magic of the ancient god, the allies of Evangelia had to deal with a lot of their forces, causing huge casualties. In the first war, only Evangelia and Alkaios survived out of their allies, although it didn’t take long for them to find new allies by the beginning of book three.

‘’I also would like…’’ Nikias feels a huge pressure from inside himself, his brain starts hurting like previously, just for a moment, he’s scared of the Emperor, almost as if he’s feeling just like the old Nikias used to. The younger man brushes off the odd feeling and continues his phrase. ‘’To learn magic as well’’. Empress Else who was attempting to eat, chokes on her food, a maid runs to her side to help her. Emperor Magnus demonstrates his sadness for the first time in front of his children, of course it's not the first time Nikias demonstrates interest in magic, however the fact that he can’t remember his lack of mana is depressing to his father, who can’t destroy the man’s hopes. Alkaios isn’t as sensitive to Nikias feelings as his parents, but maybe he should.

‘’You can’t, you have zero mana’’, the Crown Prince says nonchalantly while eating. His parents glare at him with disapproval, but the Prince doesn’t seem to mind their gazes. ‘’Even with amnesia you still insist on learning something you have no talent for whatsoever’’. To an outsider, or even a member of his family, Alkaios sounds awfully cold and harsh, but to the Crown Prince himself, he’s being honest to avoid Nikias’ disappointment further on. ‘’Don’t you ever learn?’’ He gazes at Nikias, who’s staring at him blankly, and that stare takes Alkaios aback, he never saw his brother with such eyes. The eyes of someone that doesn’t have any hope whatsoever.

‘’I have mana’’, Nikias words are filled with confidence, since he knows for a fact that he has mana, but to his family he’s being delusional. So he turns to one of the maids waiting on them. ‘’Bring the mana measurement artifact’’, he’s firm enough to confuse the young lady as she isn’t sure if she should follow the cruel youngest Prince’s words, but with a nod from the Empress she leaves the dining room to fetch such an artifact.

‘’Son, I know you wish to learn magic, but you can’t acquire mana if your soul doesn't have it already’’, Emperor Magnus says with pity towards his youngest son.

‘’Nikki, I don’t want to see you get hurt again’’, the Empress’ words are kind, she’s genuinely concerned, but she doesn’t need to be.

‘’Brother, you’re not a child anymore, your coming of age ceremony is in two days and you still act as if you’re six!’’ Alkaios raises his voice, he’s just so sick and tired of hearing Nikias pleas for magic, almost addicted to trying to acquire mana when it’s impossible, regardless of method, it’s unknown of someone ever acquiring mana when you don’t have any to begin with. Since he was a child, he always spoke of mana as if it was something he should have as a birthright, but no one in the family ever disregarded him for not having it. On the contrary, he was doted on, cared for and loved! What else does the boy need? Alkaios never got as much love as Nikias, and he’s there, not coveting more than he has.

‘’Kai! That’s enough!’’ The Empress’ voice is filled with disappointment, the Crown Prince turns his head with shame. 

I just don’t want to see him cry again, Alkaios thinks with a heavy heart, why can’t he just be honest with himself and his brother at once? That’s what causes the heroine to think that the man hates his family. In the third book when he finds out that Evangelia was the one that murdered his younger brother, Alkaios sets the palace on fire, in an attempt to take his own life. The man had to kill his own father after watching his father kill his mother with his selfishness, to find out that in the end everything happened because of him. Evangelia killed Nikias to protect him, he killed his younger brother by his neglect.

His attempt isn’t successful, of course, since he’s the male lead, but he’s awfully burnt and he asks Evangelia to divorce him as he couldn’t see her anymore after knowing such a fact. Until the end, the heroine still saw her actions as for the greater good, and as the author saw it as such as well, she managed to convince Alkaios and they had a happy ending after defeating the ancient god.

Vahe always hated the end of the story. How can someone that made her partner suffer so much still stay with him ‘till the end? Soulmates. Fate. Words that the man always hated, if my fate is to suffer, I’ll search in hell if needed, but I’ll take my fate into my own hands and change it.

Luckily the maid returns quickly with the artifact, it’s the same that the twins brought to him that morning. ‘’Could all the servants leave the room?’’ Nikias requests, he knows that he won’t be able to escape it forever, but if what Lowe said is true, he needs to avoid a conflict with his brother. He doesn’t want the crown, but someone might try to give it to him regardless of his intentions.

The servants don't move. Ha, they have zero respect towards me, anger fills Nikias heart with that observation. Emperor Magnus shakes his hand. ‘’You heard the boy’’. Just then they leave the room. How more pathetic will I get?

For the second time that day, Nikias puts his hand on top of the box and the same thing happens. The golden glow and the gem the size of a dragon’s heart. However, even by his best observation skills, he couldn’t predict his parents and brother's reactions to what just happened. At first the room is filled with silence, followed by his mother passing out and his brother dropping a knife on his feet. The only one still in silence is the Emperor, and when the youngest man finds the courage to look at his father's face, his heart drops. 

Disgust. Rage. Disappointment. Those are the feelings leaking through the Emperor’s gaze. It was a bad idea. However the Emperor’s thoughts aren’t as mean as Nikias sees them as. Actually the older man is just worried, if Nikias just suddenly has mana due to the changes his body went through because of the poison, it's an easy thing to navigate through. However, golden mana? A mana type lost in time since the first Emperor of the Exos Empire? That’s troublesome, being a father and Emperor was never so hard. If it is leaked that Nikias possesses golden mana, more powerful than Alkaios’ pink mana, forces in the Empire’s nobility will attempt a coup to put Nikias on the throne as a puppet Emperor.

So the feelings in his eyes aren’t directed to his son, but at himself for not being able to protect both his sons equally in this situation.

Nikias can’t know what goes through his father's head, though, so in his mind right now, he’s filled with despair. Losing the love of a family that loved even the wicked old Nikias, means that he truly isn’t worth familial love. Just like…

‘’Hurry! Vahe! Hide!’’ Zerah yells, running towards the door of the house, banging is heard on the door together with thunder, the older boy tries holding back the door from opening, but he’s weak compared with the drunken adult on the other side. Their father enters, knocking Zerah down with the door that bangs on the boy’s head, but the drunken man seems after the younger one. 

‘’You little shit’’, the man grabs Vahe by his neck, suffocating the boy. ‘’You stole our food, who do you think you are…

Nikias’ screams, the memory being cut short by the sharp pain inside his brain, he falls out of the chair and the servants enter the room once again. However, between the Empress and Nikias, they tend to the woman first, ignoring the younger Prince that’s screaming in pain. The Emperor, still too shooken, can’t seem to help his son or his wife, but Alkaios, even though he’s taken aback by the sudden scream of his brother, jumps out of his chair to calm the youngest down.

This time, Nikias doesn’t push his brother away, Alkaios grabs the man onto his arms, carrying him towards his room while the man starts to calm down.

‘’I’m sorry brother, I’m so sorry’’, the man whispers, and for the first time, Alkaios pities his brother.

0