V. The Death of an Useless Prince
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“There are millions of people in the world, and even if the whole world is against you, I can guarantee that I’ll never be one of them. If you have me by your side, how can you be alone?”

 

Did you hear? The youngest Prince killed a knight!

I'm not surprised, it's the next step for someone so evil”.

“The royal family only has to lose by having someone as wicked as him living in the palace”.

“Someone should kill him”.

“When will his evil acts stop?”

“I heard his servants drink blood and sacrifice young animals to the Prince.”

Prying eyes and reckless whispers fill the Palace in the early hours of the morning, Lowe walks calmly towards Nikias’ room, for their early morning meeting. At first he was upset about the mana pact and the demands the man was suddenly doing, almost as if he was preparing for something. However, after seeing with his own eyes the magnitude of Nikias' mana, he’s glad to be on the right side of history.

During the twins' time at the north’s magicians tower, they studied to the point of passing out and having nose bleeds, and during those studies they read about myths of the Empire. One of the myths was about the foundation of the Empire, where the first Emperor and the first Empress, with overwhelming power, helped exile the ancient god Vremes that was threatening human kind. It was beautifully described how the power of the Empress, dark as the night and the mana of the Emperor, golden like the sun, combined to save their land and people. After multiple studies and generations, golden mana is described as the mana of rulers, those destined to rule and lead people towards victory are born with such power, while those that are destined to be by their side will have mana dark as the night. With the goal of creating an army for such a ruler, the magicians’ tower created children with dark mana through not natural ways.

In order to maintain his sanity, Lowe became obsessed with golden mana studies and the idea of a ruler that will save them from doom. Knowing Nikias for four years, one might say that he’s stupid to believe that the boy can be such a ruler, however Lowe rarely has blind faith in something, unless it's golden mana related. He even came to think that he would never witness such a miracle. He’s over the moon with happiness for being able to serve the one that will save them all. His brother, Raphael, might not believe in such ‘fairytales’, but it doesn't matter, fate will always prevail in showing what it expects from them.

He knocks on the door of the youngest Prince, some other servants pass him with whispers, however Lowe doesn't direct his eyes at them, he can't do anything that would trouble his now master. When they were offered the job at the palace, they were just so tired, from living job to job, from hiding from the magicians tower and doing dirty jobs just to get by. Eating hard bread and drinking warm beer was their daily meal, differently from now, where they have a warm bed, warm food and refreshing juices to accompany. Sometimes they even drank wine with their salaries, a life in the light is way better than being in the dark.

They had to do dirty jobs every now and then for Nikias, however it wasn't anything like when they were mercenaries. “Enter”, the hoarse voice of the Prince calls for him, so Lowe enters the room of his master.

Nikias wasn't able to sleep at all, normally after a good run he would sleep well, but since he slept all afternoon he couldn't seem to fall asleep again. He sighs, staring at the servant that enters calmly, the silver-haired man lays his head on top of his arms that are on his knees, the man feels melancholic and tired. After leaving the training grounds he had difficulties bathing alone, since the bath and shower are powered by mana he needed help turning it on, even the sink was difficult to understand, but after struggling a lot he finally managed to turn those on. 

However he only managed to take a cold bath as the heating system was a different thing that he couldn't even find how to turn it on. I just wanted a warm bath, he thinks as he watches his servant approach his bed. “Good morning, your highness”, Lowe bows. He's still using the black uniform, oh well it suits him best. 

“Good morning, Lowe”, he sighs, closing his eyes. “What are people saying?” He assumes that the servants from the palace already heard about the little show he pulled off prior that night. A groan leaves his pink lips. I don't know what came over me, I was just so pissed. 

“I apologize, my Prince, the servants are claiming that you're just evolving in your path of wickedness”, Lowe answers with a straight face, he doesn't look directly at Nikias, though. He's not lying of course, he can't even if he wanted to, but the man lying on bed is shirtless and that's a sight that Lowe won't be able to keep his composure at.

The Prince snorts, they don't even notice the changes in personality, they just think that all of this is some wicked plan. The difference of personality to others, though, is so minimal that whoever noticed wouldn't really think that he's different, just changed as humans do. Of course that he would like to think that he's different from the old Nikias, however, even as Vahe, he was never truly a good or kind person. On the contrary, he was purposefully quiet and avoidant towards other people, he spoke the minimum, however if someone came to him he would dismiss them as rudely as he could. That would cause others to curse him and call him different names, he was constantly beaten and touched in disgusting ways by those stronger than him. A pretty boy whenever I go, that must be my curse. He thinks, although Nikias is way more good looking than Vahe in his eyes. Poor man, can't even see that he looks exactly the same.

“That's to be expected, even though that knight said to a royal to die, if I'm wrong in their eyes, it doesn't matter”, Nikias raises his head with his eyes closed, sighing with frustration. Nikias was wicked that's for sure, but that doesn't excuse those rats. 

“What did he say to you?” Lowe asks, his eyes dark like the night. The sun starts lingering towards the window of the room, before Nikias can answer his question a sudden noise draws their eyes towards the window. Raphael grabs the window sill, his knuckles white with the strength he uses to pull himself up. His dark brown hair is a mess and his clothes are painted red with blood, the foul stench reaching Nikias’ nose, who puts his hands on top of his nose it to stop the smell from reaching it. The tall man manages to jump inside the room before gasping for air, he's barefoot and his clothes are also ripped apart. How did he enter the palace looking like this? Nikias wonders, however he reminds himself that even if the guards saw the man, they wouldn't stop him from entering the youngest Prince’s room.

They might even be glad that an assassin could possibly enter there.

“What happened, Raffe?” Lowe asks, running towards his brother with worry all over his face. Nikias observes the brothers, Lowe grabs Raphael's arm, trying to make the man get up, however the other is just too out of breath. They care about each other, and the realization makes Nikias sad. All of his childhood he wanted love, when he realized that he wouldn't acquire it… The silver-haired man shakes his head, now isn't the time to feel sorry for himself.

After a couple minutes and a few glasses of water, Raphael manages to catch his breath and speak. “I went to the city, looking for the black market auction as your highness ordered”, he says, pushing his brown hair back, his eyes dark with exhaustion. Now isn't the moment, but Nikias notices that Raphael is taller than Lowe, only by a couple centimeters though. Alkaios is also taller than me…

“Wait a second, you went to the city with your uniform?” Lowe asks, slapping his forehead with annoyance. “Of course you would get in trouble!”

Raphael shakes his head, “No, brother, it was a good thing, I was recognized as Prince Nikias’ servant”, Nikias observes the twins with curiosity, so the youngest Prince is already infamous even outside the Palace, he thought that it began after his coming of age ceremony, but it seems that he already had contact with the underworld of the Exos Empire even prior. “They asked if the Prince was interested in the auction, I acted as if the Prince was interested and managed to get an invitation quite easily”. Nikias sighs, yeah, my reputation is truly rock bottom that they don't even question that I might be spying or something. 

“If it was easy, why are you like this?” Lowe asks, searching for the first aid box in Nikias room, before going back to his brother, treating the wounds the man has. Lowe removes Raphael's shirt, exposing his bare chest that is filled with old scars, yet is quite defined. Shit he's ripped, Nikias thinks, watching the brothers bicker for a while, before they turn their attention back towards the Prince. 

“I met some of our old cellmates…” Raphael sighs, clearly uncomfortable, Lowe starts putting a bandage on the man's torso. “They recognized me and said they were ordered to take us back”. 

Lowe stops for a moment, he seems shaken, Nikias eyes watch the reaction of the brothers, they both seem out of it. “Did you kill them?” The question is dark but it's treated like it's nothing.

“No, they're victims too…” Raphael looks guilty, his eyes avoiding his brother's. “They did harm me a lot so I put a small pain curse on them”, the taller brother bites his lips with anger. “I thought they gave up on searching for us”. 

“You should've killed them.” Lowe says coldly. “They'll come after the Prince now that you appeared with the uniform of his servants”.

Raphael stops for a second. “I haven't thought of that, I apologize your highness”, he looks apologetic, Nikias stares at him blankly, thinking about the situation.

It won't help to become desperate, they might come for me and them, considering I have no other servants or guards… Nikias sighs, laying back onto his bed. “There's no need to apologize, you're my servant, we'll figure it out”. That's a lie, the Prince has no idea how to solve this situation, since he doesn't have information upon the north’s magician tower, he can't set up a strategy for now. “First, Raphael go have a bath and change clothes, and Lowe, I'll need your report as well”.

The taller twin gets up, bowing to the Prince with the help of his brother. “Thank you, your highness, for your kindness”. How's that kindness? Nikias thinks but simply shakes his hand so the man can be dismissed. After Raphael leaves, Lowe sits on a chair, looking beaten. 

They're after us again, I wonder if it's safe to stay at the Palace… Of course that's the first thought that crosses Lowe's mind, even if he's over the moon to work for the one who has golden mana, he also can't avoid but wants his and his brother's safety.

“Lowe”, Nikias calls making the brown-haired man snap back to reality.

“I apologize for your highness”, he recomposed himself. “Your personal budget for this month is almost intact, since you spend most of your time this month in bed”.

“How much?”

“Eleven thousand golden coins”, Nikias jumps back to his sitting position, the servants are paid by the Empress, so that amount is for him alone. The youngest Prince was known to be a huge spender, he dropped thousands in clothing and other superficial objects. However, even to a consumerist, that amount is exorbitant. How much will they put the fairy for? He thinks, maybe I should save as much as I can for it. “However, we still need to pay for the attire of your coming of age ball”. 

Shit I forgot about that. So many things are involved in the coming of age ceremony. In the novel, it was described that in the first timelines, Nikias made a scene by asking for the Princess's hand in marriage and also he was criticized for not having an escort. As it's customary for citizens in the Empire, in the coming of age ceremony you must be accompanied by your fiance or by a family member, in order to properly have your debut. However, in the novel's timelines, Nikias wasn't accompanied by anyone, his brother went with Evangelia and his parents arrived late because of an emergency. No wonder he threw a fit, he sighs, from his perspective everyone simply abandoned him. 

“How much was it?” He asks, getting out of bed, the silver-haired man is shirtless, wearing only white silk pants, his chest is well defined and his hair is down since he laid with his hair wet. Lowe stares for a couple seconds, Nikias doesn't notice his gaze though. 

“A thousand golden coins, the tailor is coming this afternoon to deliver it”, the servant answers, getting up as well and following the man towards his closet. 

“I see, make sure he's properly paid and bring me the receipt later, I'll need to have some financial classes later.” The silver-haired man says, glancing through his clothes. “What did I used to wear?” He asks Lowe as he picks his clothes for the day. 

“White, shirts that showed your chest and golden accessories”, Nikias nods, makes sense considering the amount of white and gold in this closet. It seems like the man used to be obsessed with the Empire colors. The Exos Empire coat of arms is the image of a golden phoenix being engulfed by white flames, where it came from, the Empire's colors. Nikias obsession with those colors must come from his inferiority complex, maybe he felt the need to show that he was part of the Empire. However the ‘new’ Nikias doesn't have such an urge.

“What a bad taste”, he mumbles, grabbing another pair of black pants and a silk white shirt. I'll end up dressing the same everyday. He thinks, turning to see Lowe still standing there. “Can you leave while I dress?” He asks coldly, the servant complies.

After a while the man leaves the closet, completely dressed, with his hair even styled back already. Nikias looks surprisingly gorgeous with his hair back, the silk shirt is slightly open on his chest, oh well it's not like he has a choice considering that's all he has there, he can't spend money on a new wardrobe right now. I don't look like a Prince, more like a mercenary, the silver-haired man thinks looking at himself in the mirror. What was Nikias' thinking? If he wanted respect he should've dressed more properly. But again, if everyone saw him as just a pretty face, he might have clinged to that in order to at least receive some sort of attention. 

Lowe is standing straight close to the room's door, he looks like those servants I saw in movies, that must look like they're not there at all, it's uncomfortable. “Lowe, could you tell my parents I'm not having breakfast with them today?” He asks, sitting at his work desk, differently from Alkaios, Nikias didn't have an office in the Palace, probably because he never asked for one, so the man mostly stayed inside his room. “Also, bring me some strong black tea…” Nikias seems to ponder for a few seconds before speaking again. “I would also like books on marital costumes, a registry of marriages of the royal family… and also a daily newspaper”, the man asks, opening his drawer to grab a paper and pen. Wow, even his pen is encrusted with precious stones, he thinks, grabbing the materials. 

“I'll be right back, your highness”, Lowe bows before leaving. He's a reliable servant, even considering how I forced him into the mana pact. Nikias thinks, his pen hitting the desk rhythmically, he stares at the blank papers, a few of them are normal papers as the others are letter papers, with even a watermark to prove it is from the youngest Prince. A crown with a star below it, the symbol of the youngest Prince of the Empire. The symbol of the Crown Prince is the crown with the star above it. While the symbol of the Empress is a crown with a crescent moon inside it and the Emperor's is a sun with the crown inside it.

It's impossible to falsify the paper, however it is possible to steal it. In the second book, one of the supporters of the ancient god stole Alkaios' letter papers and used it to start a war with a small Kingdom near the Empire. The problem was that the Kingdom was responsible for 78% of the grains imported by the Empire, causing a crisis of food for the commoners and tension ensued. As if the Emperor becoming evil wasn't enough of a crisis for the main couple. The issue was resolved by the end of the first book, however, the toll in the Empire was so big that an uprising started ensuing. Alkaios barely became Emperor and he was already suffering a coup.

Nikias shakes his head with a sigh, he can't afford to let his thoughts wander like this, there's so much that will happen, after all it took the protagonists four books to defeat the ancient god, a total of six years of duration according to the heroine's records. This is the first year, the year that Nikias dies, they end the black market in the Empire and find about the cult that wishes to bring Vremes back. The first book only covers the two first years, while the second covers the following two, the third book is mostly flashbacks to explain the heroine's previous three lives in more detail, and the last book covers the last two years and the ancient god's defeat.

The problem is, how much my presence will affect the storyline? It's a big plot point, after all it causes the instability of the Empire, the Emperor goes crazy and the Empress dies, everything as consequences for his death. If Nikias didn't die, will the timeline slow down? Or maybe speed up even more? All this uncertainty is driving Nikias mad. At first he could've just married off and lived in seclusion, letting the couple deal with everything. However, the discovery of his mana and the fact that he is a Prince with no power at all, make his escape from the main timeline almost impossible. If he ran away what could he do? All of his knowledge comes from the novel, he doesn't know the true depths of the Empire, he doesn't even know how to use cutlery! How can he simply run away in an unknown world? Even back in the world he knew, running away was so hard he thought of dying so many times he can't even count! Plus… if I run away I won't be able to ever be this comfortable… a warm bed and warm food… 

Even if all he ate until now was warm soup, it was still warmer than the moldy breads and cold porridge he ate as a homeless man back in his original Earth. So, what should I do now? He groans, laying his head onto the table. I have no power in this Empire, and even the servants despise me. 17 years of misdeeds aren't easy to undo, especially considering I have a short temper. Indeed, how can one pretend to have a change of heart after murdering a knight in cold blood and threatening others so openly? Be the old Nikias or the new one, his reputation will never be one of an angel like his brother. Well, there are other ways of becoming respected… if I can't earn their respect, I can earn their fear. After all, the old Nikias didn't have any, he wasn't respected due to his awful personality and he wasn't feared because he was neglected by those with power around him. And unfortunately, the Prince never learned to use his own authority in the ways that mattered. 

Ok, I can do this! Excited for the first time since he came to this new world, Nikias raises his head with a spark in his eyes. He puts the pen onto the paper. First, what do I need as a Prince? What are the basics of my authority? All that he has to go by is what Alkaios did during the first book, since he doesn't know about the Empire's customs beyond it. I already have trustworthy servants, after that, I need a  trustworthy ally… maybe an assistant, all important nobles in the novel had one, a lower noble that is smart and capable… that also will grab the opportunity…

He hits the pen on his chin as he thinks. The novel was so extensive that the amount of characters in it is more than what he's capable of remembering, there were so many characters that were shown only once! Allies and enemies of the protagonists, and there is even to consider the ones that didn't appear in the novel. This is hard, I'll put this on hold for now. After an assistant, I need a guard. Nikias never had a personal guard, with his ex-mercenary servants and the fairy to protect him, he was almost never in danger, however things will be different from now on, and he'll need people to keep him safe from the sidelines. Usually, princes have their own division of knights inside the Empire brigade, Nikias was the first Prince in history to not have one. Maybe if I ask my father… Nikias stops. Why am I already thinking about him as my own father? His eyes widen and a slight blush appears on the man's cheeks. He remembers the previous day events, no he probably won't just accept my wishes like that. But then again, it is a right of his as a Prince to possess his own knights. Even if I had my own division, who would apply to it? 

Even with the knowledge of what he needs, this is going to become harder than what he thought. Will I need to put this on hold too? He sighs, writing the basics of his thoughts onto the paper. He doesn't know why, but he can write and read perfectly the language of the Empire. Maybe some of Nikias' knowledge is still engraved in my brain. Moving on, the last thing he needs is… a fiance. After thinking hard about it during the late hours of night of the previous day, he still didn't arrive at a decision. Rainier is the best choice, but he's a trickier character than what I need. He's Alkaios best friend, and he despises me. Another sigh leaves the man's pink lips. He stops for a few seconds, trying to figure out the formula to break Rainier Bauldry. Wait, I don't necessarily need to marry a close ally, what if it's someone they absolutely need on their side? Instead of going for someone that already hates him, he can go towards someone that doesn't even know him.

Someone he can have a mutually beneficial relationship with. After all I'm not after a temporary marriage, divorce is an option but isn't ideal. Even if it isn't looked down upon, divorce is seen as an offense to god, those who have a divorce can't even enter some areas of the Empire, even if they remarry. Of course, that's a view of the most conservative part of the Empire, however it's a cultural aspect for them. There are so many powerful allies, but the most important one that will only appear later…

Yeah, I should go with him. A wide smile appears on Nikias face. Jackpot.

 

 

A few hours earlier, at the Empress chambers…

“Do you think our babies will be okay?” The casual manner of speaking is unusual coming from Empress Else, that is if she was accompanied by anyone rather than Emperor Magnus. 

The biggest room of the Palace is rather simple, the furniture is elegant and most of it is covered in gold and marble, however they were clean and well-made, the curtains are almost transparent since the Empress enjoys the moonlight lighting up her room. The bed is big enough to fit at least six well-built men, however at the moment the only one there is the Empress, her silver wavy hair falling on her arms that hold the white silk sheets up to cover her bare chest. Her pink eyes shine in a mischievous tone of purple, the mark of a hypnotic magician, the last of her kind, and her porcelain-like skin is covered in red marks, similar to bug bites. The woman isn't ashamed of her current disheveled appearance, after all, she's used to looking like this during the few nights that the Emperor was free enough to spend the night in her quarters. 

The man on the other hand, was calmly dressing up, his well-built body would make even the manliest of men blush, his dark hair appears almost gray-like in the moonlit room, revealing his already advanced age, his golden eyes are low, focused on the task at hand, putting on his white shirt to cover his back filled with scratches made by his wife.  “I would like to think so, Else”, differently from when the man speaks outside his room, he speaks softly, his voice almost sounding like a deep purr.

Else sighs, leaning back onto the bed. “I can't believe Nikki was suffering so much…” her eyes are filled with regrets. “I feel like we failed as parents trying to succeed as rulers”, her words make the man stop buttoning his shirt for a second.

“We tried our best”, he says finally, continuing his action. They stay in a comfortable silence before the Emperor speaks again. “Is it really possible? Nikias mana?” His voice is filled with worry, something he wasn't able to show previously.

Empress Else comes from a long lineage of powerful magicians, the same bloodline of the first Empress of the Empire, more specifically she's a descendant of Empress Nyx’s youngest sister. However, after her family was exiled by Magnus’ grandfather, she became the last living member of her family. With hypnotic magic, rare even between her bloodline, same magic Nyx possessed, she survived with scraps before being found by Magnus when they were 12. Of course their marriage was political in order to establish that Magnus was an Emperor that respects the history of the Empire, contrary to his grandfather and father. However, they still cared for each other in their own way, even if they can't admit their love to themselves.

The knowledge of Nyx was passed down together with part of her magic to her descendants, even if it got lost inside the Palace, Else made her whole life to honor the teachings left by the first Empress and the first moon of the Empire. So her knowledge of magic is even deeper than those in the magicians towers, after all she has unlimited resources and the secret Palace library at her disposal. “I've read about it, but it was just a tale, almost like a rumor written in the ancient tongue”.

Magnus sits to put on his shoes, however his attention is onto his wife. Else's gaze is mysterious, her lips purse as she clenches to the sheets. He knows why his wife is so worried, after reaching a certain age, they can't avoid but think back on their lives and reflect on the wrongdoings they did. Especially towards the sons they cherished so much. They can't have children anymore, and the knowledge that their kids are already adults is starting to hit both of them. The Empire always comes first, that's what Magnus was taught when he was growing up, the sole heir to the throne, he never thought that children were the joy of their parents. After all, he was never shown affection by his parents, however, when Alkaios was born, it was almost as if he was hit by lightning. Unconditional love, an urge to protect and care, that was the first time the man ever felt that, and as a consequence he was never able to properly care for his son.

And when Else gave birth to their second son, Nikias, the regret only grew bigger, the responsibilities he had as an Emperor versus his responsibilities as a father. Which one was more important to him? Regardless of finding out the answer or not, it's already too late to choose the latter. Contrary to the Empress, Magnus never held his children when they were babies, he never saw them walk for the first time, he didn't know their first words and even what kind of games they played with their friends.

He didn't even know that both his sons were suffering on their own. He snapped into reality when the news that Nikias was poisoned came. 

It was the first time in Magnus' life that he cried.

To Else, it was different, she was always there, gifting things to her sons and holding them in her arms. However, that was only once a week, she checked upon her children and commended the nannies and maids. She never fell asleep holding them onto her arms, neither played games with her babies. Scheduled tea times after they turned five and occasional visits to their quarters that stopped once they became fourteen. Even if compared to Magnus she was closer to her children, they never cried in front of her, they never asked for a gift or threw a tantrum. She only figured out that it wasn't normal to only see her children in composed moments, when her best friend complained about breastfeeding and how her older son wouldn't stop crying. However, both Nikias and Alkaios were already too old to come running to their mother's side. It was already too late to become a mom like any other.

When she woke up that day and found out that no one helped Nikias when he collapsed, Else cried until Magnus arrived to calm her down.

They both thought they were doing everything, when in reality they were being the parents their children don't deserve. The love they feel is infinite, but what's the point when your children don't know that?

“What tale?” The Emperor asks after the silence takes the room.

“The tale is about an orphan, who after drinking spoiled milk, died in the middle of the streets of the village he lived in. No one touched his corpse, however in the next morning the boy woke up, he frantically asked the people around him who he was and where he lived. However, being an orphan in a poor village, no one knew who he was. The boy then, took a name for himself and his body that before was lacking mana, now overflowed with the blessing of the god of the sun. His golden mana became his trade mark as he crossed the territory with no money and a shabby sword. A hero everywhere he went, he became a knight for the king, however the king was greedy and attempted to kill the boy after he got everything he wanted. The boy however, smarter than the king, tricked the man into leaving his throne, and stole his crown. His story was told all across the continents. The hero that became the Emperor. Aelius Exos.” After speaking in a soft tone, almost as if singing a lullaby, Else breaks down to tears. It's just a tale, a legend to counter the one told in history books. A different origin to the first Emperor, however, there isn't certain proof which is the true origin of the man. If Nyx's origins are well depicted through the books, Aelius was covered in mysteries, and maybe that was his intention. The tale Else read was deep into the Palace's secret library and the book was so poorly maintained that she had a hard time translating it. To think that this tale would be reflected into our current lives. 

“So, it is possible to acquire mana, however one needs to have none and then die and revive without outsiders help…” Magnus finishes putting on his clothes, his expression is dark and the room grows quiet while Else cries in silence and Magnus becomes deep in thought. “Does that mean…” he stops for a second. “Nikias died? Alone? And no one helped him?” The sudden realization of how far his neglect affected his children hits the man. He clenches his heart and his eyes close with pain, he doesn't cry like the Empress, however, his heart hurts just as much as hers.

 

 

A faint knock on the door wakes up the silver-haired man that slept middle-writing, he blushes with the realization, a bit of ink got smashed onto his cheek, his hair became messy and his eyes are red with exhaustion. The lack of proper sleep got to me. Nikias thinks as he cleans his throat. “You can enter”, he says loud enough to not need to get up from his desk. Another silver-haired man enters the room, Alkaios is wearing a lean black shirt with white pants, on his hands are a tray with a suspicious looking soup. The older brother smiles faintly as he enters the room of the youngest, which is now filled with the warm rays of the sun. Nikias eyes are dropping sluggishly as the man stares at his brother. Cute, Alkaios thinks, their age difference isn't that big, however, he always saw Nikias as a cute kitty, even if he couldn't approach him before. I'll take care of you now, brother, I hope it isn't too late. 

“Oh, good morning…” Nikias’ voice is low, no one would consider his voice as something besides sexy, however, Alkaios seems to be the only one that finds it adorable. He sounds like a baby bear. Honestly, Alkaios thoughts towards his youngest brother are nothing but delusions of a doting brother. What should I address him at? Brother is what I say the most, however should I try his name? Or a nickname like mom? For a fact, if Nikias attempts to call Alkaios by his nickname, the older man might never let the younger go, to his dismay. “Brother”, he ends up going for the usual, he attempts a smile but ends up yawning.

“Your servant told us that you were busy this morning”, for a second Alkaios almost pouts, however he stops himself as he isn't sure how Nikias would react to him being different from usual. Barely does he know that Nikias wouldn't really notice the change. “So I brought you a soup, it's good for your health, since you don't seem fully recovered yet”. Those words make Nikias finally wake up, he nods slightly as his brother places the soup at the table in the middle of Nikias' room. The youngest gets up from his desk quietly, attempting to not think too much. After all, thinking about his current brother makes him think about… the man shakes his head as he sits at the table. His eyes drift from his brother to the soup in front of him. 

It looks absolutely disgusting. “Brother, I won't eat this”, Alkaios seems confused by his brother's words. The soup is nutritious and healthy, it'll be only beneficial for him to drink it. Vahe ate a lot of disgusting things in his lifetime, he even drank stationary water once. However, he isn't homeless anymore. 

“Why?” Alkaios asks and Nikias looks at him with madman eyes.

“Because it looks disgusting!” He exclamates, Alkaios turns his head, blushing. He's so fucking adorable, I could never talk about how cute my little brother is before… I wish I had my communication orb to take pictures right now. Daniel would be so jealous! His little sister and brother don't hold a candle to Nikias! His love truly knows no bounds, it's better to not know everything that goes through Alkaios head. Neglect can fuck with people's head, however, combine neglect and power and you would have… well, these brothers. 

“You need to eat, so you can be healthy again”, the oldest tone is soft and Nikias' expression softens. He doesn't know yet, how he lowers his guard closer to his brother, even if he keeps thinking about how to trick him into liking him. Well, Alkaios already adores his little brother so Nikias plan isn't totally blown. 

The youngest Prince grabs the plate with his hands, even if there is a spoon right next to it, he doesn't know how to properly use it. Alkaios observes his brother blow the soup before sipping it directly from the plate. He even forgot how to eat, if I ever find out who hurt him… the man thinks with anger in his heart. Nikias getting hurt was always what the man hated the most, even when he found out that the boy was kidnapped years ago…

Alkaios was 16 while Nikias was only 13 when it happened, the older boy was out hunting and when he came back he discovered that his brother was kidnapped while he was away. He never found the culprit, however, Nikias seemed to be in one piece and the men that brought him back became his servants. Whatever happened isn't quite clear as when Alkaios found the mercenaries that kidnapped his brother, he murdered the men before even asking questions, therefore he doesn't know who the mastermind was. Even so, when it comes to the health of his little brother he kills first and asks questions later. 

After finishing the horrible tasting soup, Nikias cleans his throat. He wants to ask his brother for something, but how can he? Was he ever shy before? As Vahe he doesn't recall how he acted with Zerah, his older brother, therefore he isn't sure what would be natural to ask a brother for and what isn't. If he took care of me yesterday means he doesn't hate me as much, right? Even if Alkaios eyes are cold as usual, Nikias’ hope of seeing a glint of care makes the boy see it even if the emotion doesn't leak through Alkaios facade. “Can I ask you for a favor, brother?” Nikias asks with caution, and even if Alkaios is screaming of happiness on the inside, he keeps his cold expression.

“Of course.”

The youngest Prince takes a deep breath. “Could you be my escort for my ball tomorrow?” He closes his eyes and turns his head, scared of the answer. I shouldn't have asked, even if he and Evangelia aren't engaged yet, they'll be soon so of course he'll escort her… 

“Do you even need to ask?” Alkaios' tone is soft, he smiles at his brother, although his eyes are still cold. “Of course I'll escort my little brother to his coming of age celebration!” 

Nikias fidgets his fingers “Thank you”, he mumbles softly. Maybe this new life won't be all bad, the silver-haired younger man thinks, fighting his own smile. Alkaios opens his mouth to say something else, however he's interrupted by the door of the room opening. Lowe enters, bowing to both Princes.

“I greet the stars of the Empire”, Nikias nods and the servant walks to the desk of the Prince, leaving the things the man previously asked for there.

“Thank you, Lowe”, Nikias tone is cold and distant as usual, the warmth that was in the room before completely dissipates. Alkaios sighs, he wishes to stay longer with his brother, but as the Crown Prince he has other duties.

‘’I’ll leave, if you need me don’t hesitate to call’’, Alkaios says ruffling Nikias’ hair, the youngest nods and watches as the oldest leaves the room. The silver-haired boy sighs, leaning back onto the chair he’s sitting on. 

‘’Being a Prince is exhausting’’, he mumbles, gazing at his servant that only nods in silence. ‘’What’s the problem? Lowe?’’ He asks although he can guess what is.

Raphael returning hurt wasn’t something they were expecting, the twins constantly go to town to run errands for Nikias, however if the ones targeting them finally catched on, even the Palace isn’t safe anymore. Lowe is probably thinking about running away, even if it meant being labeled as a traitor, the mana pact is a pain, as it prevents him from doing anything Nikias doesn’t approve of. That’s probably what is in his mind, at the moment.

‘’Lowe, I lost most of my memories and I can’t promise that you’ll both be safe here. However, you’re not anyone, you’re my people now. The pact might benefit me the most, but don’t forget it benefits you as well’’. Nikias says as he gets up, walking towards his desk to work more. He still needs to check his assets as a Prince; he probably has some lands and other businesses. 

When the mana pact is made to someone with no mana, the brand on the ones who made it is faint, but the crown on Lowe’s wrist is bright and anyone who sees it will know. Prince Nikias property, that’s why a lot of lovers do the pact, even if right now the brand is hidden by his sleeve, as soon as anyone catches a glimpse of it, they’ll all know. 

‘’Pardon me, my Prince, but you have no power right now’’, and that’s a fact, no one respects him and he has absolutely no protection. But that won’t be for long.

‘’That’s why I need your help, I don’t intend on having the crown, but I also won’t sit back and lose all the power I have because of my surname’’ Nikias words are filled with confidence, the man sits at his desk, he smirks at Lowe. ‘’The Empire will soon learn to respect me, don’t worry, for now, just assist me, and you’ll reap all the benefits soon enough.’’

‘’You’re right’’, Lowe says with a sigh. ‘’I’m just worried about Raphael’’. Nikias nods, grabbing the newspaper. 

‘’You can leave for now, go check on your brother, if I need you I’ll call’’, the silver-haired says and the brunette bows with appreciation before leaving the man alone.

 

A Genius in the Slums!

A name that will certainly be marked in the history of the Exos Empire Academy, Fleuri is a genius that rose inside the Academy during his academic years. Excelling in all areas, the now man grew in a orphanage in the south of the Empire, inside the slums he could’ve been lost in poverty if it wasn’t for Count Mazus Auclair, that during his times as a teenager did charity work at the orphanage where Fleuri resided.

Now at 20 years old, the genius boy is rumored to be approached by high-ranking nobles to be adopted even being already an adult! However those rumors seem to be unfounded as the man himself declared that he doesn’t wish to enter nobility. What a loss of geniality!

 

Nikias taps his finger on the desk, Fleuri? That name wasn’t in the novel, or at least I don’t remember him. A genius? If he truly never rose to be a noble, it makes sense that his name was lost in history even with his good prospects. If the boy truly comes from the slums, he probably resents nobility more than anyone, and if his hatred was nurtured during his academic years, he probably will never want to be part of the nobles. However doesn’t he even feel grateful for the man that helped him when he was only a child? After all, he still finished his studies. Interesting.

After thinking more, the youngest Prince decides to write a letter to said genius. Due to the Prince’s reputation he probably won’t get a reply, however if he decides to appeal to the man’s pride, maybe he’ll get to at least meet him. I’m at least confident in my ability of provoking someone, he thinks with an amused snort. As he finishes his letter, the silver-haired proceeds with his reading of the newspaper, although most articles are of gossip and events the following week, he manages to find at the end of the newspaper a small column about his coming of age.

 

Useless Prince Becomes an Adult at Last

The least favorite Prince of the Empire is about to complete 18 years of age during this week, his ball will be held at the Lily Ballroom, reserved for events of least importance inside the Palace, although the presence of the Crown Prince, the Emperor and the Empress are guaranteed, what can we expect of a ball held for a Prince with no life prospect? No abilities with weaponry or even mana in his body, Prince Nikias Gregor Chrysl is guaranteed to be erased from history as soon as his death comes upon him.

For best or for worse, the whole Empire clamors, for the death of an useless Prince.

 

That’s harsh, Nikias thinks, and even if he knows that he isn’t the one being talked about in the column, he can’t avoid but feel hurt. If someone hates you, that's life, but if everyone wishes for your death, that’s another thing. How can I change the reputation of someone that has already hit rock bottom? He shakes his head, it's useless to feel like this, I need to think forward, the damage is done, if I'm starting from the bottom, the only path I can take is up.

0