Chapter Two – Unseen Veil
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Two

Veil of the Unseen


The world bleeds into consciousness, one hazy shade at a time. I blink, trying to force the fog from my vision, but it clings stubbornly, like the remnants of a dream refusing to be forgotten. My body feels heavy, anchored to the ground beneath me, and for a fleeting moment, I wonder if I’m still trapped in the grip of sleep. But as my senses sharpen, the cold reality seeps in—this is no dream. The air is charged with a subtle tension, whispering secrets I can’t yet understand. I attempt to move, and a dull ache protests, a stark reminder of the ordeal that led me here. Wherever “here” is. I’m adrift in a sea of uncertainty, caught between the fading echoes of nightmares and the daunting unknown that lies ahead. Slowly, I push myself up, my resolve hardening. I may not know what waits in the shadows, but I won’t face it lying down.

A wave of tension seized my body as my fingers brushed against the fabric beneath me. This wasn’t my familiar bedspread; the feel was all wrong. Now wide with confusion, my eyes darted to the alien texture under my palms. Purple and black - a stark contrast to my own. A realization hit me hard: this wasn’t my bed. A yelp of fear burst from my lips. Where was I? Had I emerged from a nightmare only to find myself lost in another? My gaze swept the room once more, taking in its vastness. The walls were cloaked in the deepest black, offset by touches of lavender. Everything here was oversized - the dressers, the doors, the expansive windows that revealed a breathtakingly white landscape beyond. Gathering my courage, I swung my legs over the side of the bed, intending to stand.

But as I did, I found myself staring directly into the eyes of a figure seated a few feet away. A scream tore through the silence, and without thinking, I snatched something from the bed and hurled it at the shadowy presence. The figure is a man silhouetted by the low shadows around me. Why was there a man in this room with me?! Perhaps this was the thing that followed me?!

“Get away from me!” I screeched, throwing another pillow at the unamused man.

“I mean, we can have a pillow fight if you’d like. I don’t remember the last time I had one…” His low voice sliced through the silence and straight to me. 

The sudden impact of something landing on me propelled me to dive under the covers, my body quaking with terror. This was no figment of my imagination; a real man was in this unfamiliar room I had awoken in. Clutching the blanket close, I wrapped it around myself so tightly that the air beneath it turned stifling. “P-please leave. I’m not looking for trouble. I just... I don’t want anyone here – I can’t get hurt!” My voice trembled as the plea escaped my lips.

“Ah, it must be unsettling, waking up in an unfamiliar room in the dead of night to find a man watching over you, right? My apologies for this discomfort. I did mention this was a mistake, Kurai,” the man’s voice carried a soft sigh. “But please, try to calm down - I have no intention of causing harm or anything of that sort. Besides, you’re not exactly my type,” he added, his voice fading into a murmur.

His final remark sent embarrassment crashing over me, causing my cheeks to burn even hotter. The audacity of his words! “You’re the one who brought me here; I never asked for this!” I protested, my voice breaking as I dared to lift the blanket just enough to scrutinize him. Trapped between mortification and dread, the cocoon of blankets around me turned suffocatingly warm. Tears streamed down my face, their warmth mingling with the heated flush of my skin.

“That’s not what I quite meant,” He replied gently.

Desperation clawed at my voice as I pleaded, “I need to return home - please. I shouldn’t be here - how can I get home?” My voice was thick with despair. “Call yourself friend, foe, or enemy. It doesn’t matter to me. I just want to go home!”

“How about... Enoxon?” he proposed, his tone gentle. The name Enoxon echoed in my ears, unlocking a flood of memories from the previous night. Enoxon was part of the duo who found me after I had collided with something. My eyes widened beneath the shelter of the blanket, and I cautiously shifted it just enough to reveal only my eyes.

“There are those lavender eyes I remember seeing a couple of days ago before she lost consciousness,” he observed with a soft chuckle, a smile gracing his lips. His voice was soothing, his presence unexpectedly comforting.

“That’s enough, Enoxon. Damn. You’re going to petrify the girl more than she already is,” A second voice said.

Recalling how I dashed towards Abigail’s Tree, driven by a cry for help and the urgent need to evade whatever pursued me, their voices gradually softened in my ears, becoming more soothing. I had reached the tree, encountered a tiny blue creature, and was almost smothered by my pursuer. The pain that wracked my body when the shadow claimed to ‘mark’ me, declaring ownership, now forced me to gasp for breath. In a swift movement, I cast the blanket aside and lifted my shirt, unconcerned by my partial undress in the presence of the men. A burning sensation flared on my side the moment I thought of it. My eyes lowered to the dreadful mark left by the entity. Tears welled up again as I examined the mark; it was extensive, resembling a vast, black bruise with tendrils spiraling and encircling my frame. The pattern extended up my arm, fading to a lighter gray before coiling around my right wrist. It revealed a blue and black design similar in its tendril-like embrace.

The mark seemed to envelop me as if embracing and clutching me closely.

“You didn’t bandage that?!” Kurai’s voice, the second man, exclaimed in disbelief.

“I... thought I had? I was quite certain I did. Did you go in her room without me?!” Enoxon, the man standing a few feet away, questioned him.

“Now, why on earth would I-”

“I-I-I don’t understand,” I stammered, my voice quivering as my fingers gently traced over the wound.

Fear surged within me, igniting a searing ache at the mark’s site. My emotions appeared to exacerbate the wound’s intensity. A sharp wince escaped me as I felt the pain radiate from my side, ascend to my shoulder, and then plummet back to the spot where the entity had seized me. My eyes drifted away from the mark, and I felt an overwhelming urge to cry out in agony. However, I bit down on my tongue again, shaking my head in a silent battle to suppress the pain.

“Now listen to me,” The voice a few feet away from me stated.

I felt compelled almost - in hopes that he could distract me from this pain I was feeling.

“You are probably in a lot of pain right now. Taking it nice and slow when you get up would be best. If you don’t, you could risk hurting yourself worse after yesterday,” He spoke softly. The man before me stood at an average height, his appearance unremarkable at first glance. Yet, his attire immediately captured my attention, reminiscent of something one might encounter in a fantasy novel. He donned a white robe adorned with bold black lines along the collar and hem, featuring three stripes extending from the top to the bottom of the garment. Delicate golden chains dangled from the collar, softly resting upon his shoulders, complemented by a green tassel encircling his neck and a matching long tassel earring accentuated with a leafy-green jewel on his left ear. A large, black pointed hat, decorated with white ribbon-like accents and an additional metal chain encircling its base, sat atop his head. Although it bore figurines, their details eluded me. His hair, as pristine white as my own, fell in a shaggy style, barely skimming above his eyes. He sighed gently before inquiring, “Why was that man attacking you?”

Our gazes intertwined, and it was clear from his expression that he was sincere and earnest. His eyes, a vibrant shade reminiscent of fresh grass, bore into mine with an intensity that conveyed his seriousness. Enoxon was all about business, yet there was a softness in his approach, an attempt to temper his earnestness with gentleness. His posture was impeccable, upright with an air of formality, his hands neatly placed in his lap, and one leg slightly crossed over the other.

I met his gaze with a frown, my hands coming together as I gently pulled my shirt down to conceal the mark again. Could I trust him? After all, he had rescued me; my survival was due to his intervention. This should categorize him as one of the good guys, or so I hoped. Yet his demeanor was gentle and tender, starkly contrasting with those who exhibited a noticeably sharper attitude near the room’s entrance.

“I know you’re scared,” Enoxon spoke softly, extending a hand in a gesture of friendship. “I know you’re in pain and confused, but we can’t assist you unless you’re willing to cooperate with us.”

“This is ridiculous,” grumbled the man at the back, evidently unimpressed by Enoxon’s delicate approach. “She’s just a girl who was assaulted in the forest by some de….. Damned man. Why on earth should she trust us? Especially the guy who was creepily watching her sleep?”

My gaze shifted to the man standing toward the door, leaning against one of the tall wooden dressers.

This tall figure exuded a somber aura, his body language signaling detachment with arms folded across his chest and a chillingly cold stare. His amber eyes were piercing, reminiscent of honey warmed by sunlight, almost ethereal in their luminance. Short and messy hair bore the sheen of a raven’s feather, adding to his striking appearance. From a distance, I observed his broad, oval-shaped features, attempting to discern more about him amidst my trembling fear. Memories of a shadowy figure looming over me flashed through my mind. However, the man before me differed significantly in appearance. His hair was shorter, and his facial structure was not the same. Then, I noticed something peculiar that glowed with the same amber hue as his eyes. I watched it move, swaying right, left, and right again.

Wait, swaying?

“What-?” Enoxon’s attention snapped to where I was fixated. “Kurai, what the hell? Your tail is showing!” He exclaimed, causing the man, Kurai, to swiftly turn, revealing a tail that had been previously concealed.

My gaze remained fixed on the man identified as Kurai, particularly fascinated by the unusual appendage that had revealed itself. His tail, a striking feature, moved with a rhythmic swooshing motion. It was long and black, culminating in a fiery amber tip that seemed soft and fluffy to the eye.

“And you look like a damn fairy from a fantasy book; who cares?” Kurai sighed, putting his arms out as he motioned to the man sitting a few feet from where I was.

“Humans dress as wizards all the time, don’t you know?! DND, LARP, CONS! There’s so much!”

“Kindly shut the hell up, Enoxon,” Kurai muttered as he turned toward me. “Whatever. Snow, right? That’s what your name is?” With a surprising boldness, he shoved Enoxon forcefully out of his seated chair. Kurai then quickly spun the chair around to face the opposite direction, took a seat, and draped his arms over the back of the chair. His head rested atop his arms as he fixed a stern, intense gaze directly on me, signaling a shift in the atmosphere to something more serious.

Kurai’s appearance was an intriguing blend of contrasting elements. Slim in stature, his physical form was largely obscured by his choice of attire, a solid black kimono robe highlighted with orange accents. This somewhat revealing robe left the upper part of his chest exposed, complemented by a fuzzy, hood-like decoration that encircled his neck, adding an air of mystery and allure to his presence.

Beneath the kimono, a bright orange undershirt was visible, running the length of his chest and providing a stark contrast to the darker tones of his outer garment. An orange charm-like tassel adorned with a slight blue gem was affixed to the left side of his chest, drawing attention amidst the predominantly black and orange ensemble.

The most distinctive feature, however, was his tail. It mirrored the colors of his attire, with sections of black, white, and vibrant orange. Starting from a black base near his lower back, the color transitioned into a light gray-white midsection before culminating in tips of vivid orange. This tail, fluffy and expressive, swayed with his movements, capturing my attention until I was compelled to meet his gaze once more.

As our eyes locked, I was met with an intensity that seemed to embody the very essence of fire. His eyes, a burning orange, held a depth and enthusiasm that was almost palpable. In the dim moonlight, tiny orange specks adorned his face, resembling freckles across his oval-shaped visage and highlighting his well-defined cheekbones.

Watching Enoxon land with a thud, I frowned at him and then turned my attention to Kurai sitting a few feet from me with Enoxon on the floor. I was about to speak, but my mouth fell dry, and I couldn’t fathom the words.

Do you know the man who attacked you last night or not?” Kurai’s question was delivered in a dry and cold tone, indicating a direct and no-nonsense approach.

I shook my head, a frown marking my expression. “I assumed he followed me home from the bar. But I bartend every Friday night,” I murmured, my voice barely above a whisper. Despite the softness of my words, there was an undeniable urge to share my story with Kurai, especially if he or the other person, presumably Enoxon, had dressed my wounds. They had potentially saved my life, a fact that weighed heavily on my conscience.

Kurai’s intense, burning orange eyes captivated me so much that the urge to tell him everything felt like it was being forced out. Then, my attention was drawn to something atop his head, breaking the hypnotic hold his gaze had on me. “Y-Y-Your Ears,” I murmured in astonishment.

“Kurai, you sure like to blow your cover,” Enoxon’s voice sighed from behind him, suggesting perhaps a shared secret or identity that Kurai was less cautious about concealing.

Driven by curiosity and a desire to confirm what I saw, my hand instinctively raised towards one of Kurai’s long, fox-like black ears, adorned with the same orange speckles as his face. The desire to touch them and validate their existence was overwhelming. However, just as my hand was about to contact Kurai’s ear, my hand was smacked away. I gasped, frowning some, and then returned my hand to my own body. With the sudden distraction, I could disconnect my gaze from him and ask my question, “Um. How do you know my name?”
“Your ID,” Kurai replied, holding up the bag. My gaze went from my small handbag to his ears, which flickered with annoyance. His face was grim.

Enoxon, while sitting on the floor, props one knee up and rests his arm on it. “You have some interesting gadgets here in your bag,” The robe-wearing man told me, “Snow Rumaki, born 24 years ago, has white hair and lavender eyes, according to your I.D. Interesting combo,” He paused momentarily and tilted his head to gaze at me with a questionable look, “Rumaki, huh? What an interesting surname.”

I was annoyed that they decided to go through my stuff, but I grabbed the bag next to me and held it close as I quickly fumbled through it in search of something—my dagger. I’m not sure if they picked it up or not, and before I could ask, Kurai spoke.

“Looking for this?” Kurai’s voice broke the tension, shifting the focus from his ears to something he pulled from the side of his pocket. “This is an ancient dagger - was this what you used for protection?” He inquired, holding up the dagger I recognized as my own and unsheathing it with a fluid motion.

The fully revealed dagger showcased a black handle that transitioned into a lighter red-orange color towards the top, mirroring the fiery hues that almost resembled Kurai’s coloring. The blade itself was steel-gray, adorned with steel-gray markings etched near the base, adding to its ancient and mysterious allure. At the end of the handle, where one’s hand would rest, an orange fire opal was embedded, its vibrant color catching the light and drawing the eye.

“Yes, please don’t break it,” I squeaked. That is so important to me.”

“This old thing?” Kurai replied, dangling the dagger by the opal at the bottom.

“Yes! That old thing!” I begged him and tried to lean forward to reach it.

“Well, it’s got a new home for now—until I know you won’t stab us with it. It’s not like you could lay a hand on us, but still,” Kurai mocked me as a smirk formed on his face.

“It almost saved my life. May I please have it back?” I asked him again quietly. As I observed the fox-man, Kurai, meticulously sheathe the dagger and securely clip it back to his side, I felt relief. At least he handled it carefully, acknowledging how it was to me. That made me feel a bit better and made me know that he genuinely seemed to care about it. The dagger, a hand-made artifact passed down to me, had always intrigued me.

Enoxon came up to Kurai and me and offered a friendly smile. “I know this was a scary scene,” He started. “But why did you run to the lake? Why not go back home or to the bar where you came from? I’m sure there was some protection somewhere.”

I shook my head, “Shiverbell isn’t a dangerous place - we often don’t have any patrol at night. The bouncers usually are home before I am - I live far from it. But I heard something calling out for help. It sounded like a kid, but when I came across whatever it was that was yelling for help, all I saw was a glimpse of blue eyes. A small little body, similar to a kid’s but not quite.” I spoke gently, looking down at the palm of my hands. “The bar had some strange guy come in that night, but that’s about it. My boss just disappeared after that. I usually stay with a friend, but she was that night,” I explained.

Kurai and Enoxon exchanged glances as I mentioned that I saw some ‘little blue thing.’

“That’s what was calling you then?” Enoxon murmured. “It must’ve been the banshee then,” he sighed, shrugging.

Quickly, Kurai made a different comment, “To walk home on a full moon by yourself is incredibly stupid.”

I glared at him when he said that, giving him a cold look. Did he just call me stupid? I opened my mouth to retort, but Enoxon chimed back in.

“Well, I’m glad we found you when we did,” Enoxon said. Kurai and I were out hunting, and we heard voices, so we followed them, leading us to you!” He cheered happily, a grin playing on his face. “Kurai was the one who got there a bit quicker than I did, so thank him.”

Gripping the blanket under me, I know that wasn’t true. There was a lot more that happened, and I know there was. The slight memories played over and over in my head. Perhaps it wasn’t time to question it, but I oh-so-badly wanted to. My gaze fluttered from the blanket to the man still sitting in the chair, his head resting on his arms as he continued to eyeball the room - ears flickering.

“And before you even think about leaving once more, let’s reconsider your situation,” Enoxon interjected, his typically quiet voice tinged with a hint of sass. “You’re severely injured and in unfamiliar territory, which means navigating your way home could be a challenge. Given your condition, attempting to depart now might only result in further harm. These injuries were no trivial matter - consider yourself lucky to have a Nogitsune to tend to them.” A small smile on his face made him feel incredibly proud to have said that.

Repeating what Enoxon said, I quietly added, “Nogitsune?” That word felt familiar, like something I might have heard in old stories. It reminded me of “Kitsune” - those fox spirits from tales that can change their shape. Maybe a Nogitsune is something like that? But why would one be here, at Abigail’s Lake? They’re supposed to be more scary, almost like demons. And why would something like that be here, helping a human? I always thought demons were just in stories. If Kurai is a Nogitsune, then maybe Enoxon is something magical, too, like a warlock or something?

As he moved toward the man, Kurai rose to his feet, a frosty glare fixed on his face. His gaze was sharp, an unmistakable trace of anger in his stance. His frustration was palpable as he extended his hands towards the wizard’s neck, now ablaze with fiery energy. “Enoxon, do you hear yourself? Or are you just deaf?” he scoffed, his voice laced with irritation.

Enoxon remained unbothered by the Nogitsune’s angry advance, greeting Kurai’s fury with a simple, sarcastic smile. “Oh, so suddenly I’m the villain for pointing out the obvious, despite your tails and ears being on full display?” he retorted with dripping sarcasm. Taking a casual step back, his grin remained unyielding; his posture relaxed as he defensively raised his hands. “By the Great Gates of Hell, you do get riled up over nothing,” he remarked, his voice laced with a weariness that belied his amused demeanor.

Watching the two unfold their little argument, I frowned when I realized that Kurai’s hands were utterly ablaze, but it didn’t bother him. Some little red and black flames danced at the tip of his fingers.

“Ok, ok, Kurai, relax. You couldn’t take me on anyway,” Enoxon laughed, forcing himself to back up and go to the other side of the bed, now across from the fiery being.

My eyes shifted from these two magical beings. Watching their interactions together made me think of two brothers. I needed to be assertive and stand up for myself. With that mindset, I forced the tears off my face and took a deep but quiet breath, sitting up and letting white strands of hair fall back onto the pillow. I grabbed a lock of my hair with my hands and began to twirl it. “U-um, so. Why am I here? C-can I maybe, um, go home?” I asked them to be extremely quiet - avoiding all eye contact and ignoring Enoxon’s warning.

So much for standing up for yourself, a frown lingering as I looked back towards the silky, lavender sheets. “Also, what’s a Nogitsune, and why does he have ears and a tail, and how did you find me at Abigail’s Lake?” I just muttered random questions over and over and over - even repeats, I’m sure. I couldn’t help it; I was so nervous.

“You’re as deaf as he is,” Kurai mumbled, letting his hands fall to his sides as the fire in them went out. “We don’t do that here, princess. You’ve already seen too much and are in danger now, so why would you want to go home?” He asked, turning to face me directly and crossing his arms. “You just about got killed by some man. Who knows if he’s still out there?”

“You seem concerned about a human,” Enoxon mutters across the room.

A swift and cold glare from the Nogitsune silenced him.

I spoke up as best I could, “Please don’t call me that,” My voice was still low, but I had to get my words out. “My name is Snow.”

“You are an interesting person, Snow. Something happened at that lake that protected you. Besides Kurai getting in and beating the hell out of that guy, it was almost like it was protecting you. Something was protecting you at that lake,” Enoxon chuckled gently. “Do you know where the thing that followed you went?” He shrugged when he said that, which caused a slight disbelief.

“I’m not too sure, honestly. I saw a bright orange light, and then I heard your voices before passing out,” I said, gripping the blanket below me again.

“Whatever happened at Abigail’s Tree protected you—not just us, but there was an additional, almost magical force,” Enoxon began, easing himself onto the edge of the bed with care. “I can’t pinpoint exactly what it was, but there was something extraordinary at play,” he continued, his eyes reflecting a mix of curiosity and astonishment. “May I see your arm?” he inquired, his voice gentle yet earnest.

A wave of discomfort washed over me at his request, causing me to hesitate. Despite this, I slowly lifted my arm, exposing it to his examination. Enoxon’s hands, warm and cautious, gently surrounded the visible wound. As he carefully inspected it, he began to speak, his tone a mix of wonder and concern.” I’m not entirely sure what you did, how you managed it, or how your magical dagger functioned, but it undoubtedly had an effect. When Kurai and I found you, you were in a dire state. As for your assailant... we’re still unraveling that mystery,” Enoxon sighed, a hint of frustration in his voice. Within moments, a soft, almost imperceptible substance began to encircle my skin, soothing the area around the wound. “This might feel a bit odd,” he assured me soothingly, “but all of this will make sense in time.”

“I made that creature bleed with my dagger,” I whispered, my voice barely audible as I observed Enoxon applying a light bandage to my arm. “But if that being was imbued with magic, and you both possess magical abilities... Then where exactly am I, and what’s our purpose here?” I asked, my confusion and curiosity growing.

“Heh,” Enoxon chuckled softly, a hint of amusement in his voice as he finished tending to my arm and looked up at me. “Let’s just say we’re not exactly human,” he revealed, a mysterious smile playing on his lips as he tilted his head slightly, leaving the statement hanging like a puzzle waiting to be solved.

 


 

Our Friendly Sorcerer: Enoxon! 

0_0.webp

0