Chapter Five – Flames of Revelation
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Five 

Flames of Revelation


Unfortunately, I was suddenly interrupted when I heard the door fling open. I jumped and closed the book immediately, the pictures fading away. I was brought back into the reality of the living room, where I was left alone with a sleeping sorcerer on my arm. Across the room, a rather rough-looking Kurai showed up, breathing heavily.

“That damned Astaroth, thinking he’s so damn funny,” He muttered under his breath and slammed the door behind him as he entered. “I can’t believe that ass of a demon did that to me!” His clothes looked rattled, and he was agitated. His fluffy ears were flattened against his head, his sharp canines gritted, and his hands were clenched. “WHAT? You’ve never seen an angry nogitsune?!” He snapped at me. “And why the hell is that Ass of a sorcerer laying on you? Wake the hell up, you dumbass!” The fire demon snarled at us, voice raising.

Enoxon’s body began to stir, his arms still wrapped around my arm, which he used as a pillow. “Huh?” He murmured, blinking his eyes free of sand and letting out a huge yawn.

“I cannot believe you sold me out to him!” Kurai snapped.

“What?” Enoxon asked, confused and still holding onto my arm.

“You SOLD ME - get your hands off the girl and focus on me!” Kurai fussed, glaring at us.

Enoxon looked at me, smiled, and shrugged, resting his head on my arm. “Nah. I’d rather know; her arm is squishy.”

“Excuse me?!” I exclaimed, ripping my arm away from him. 

Enoxon sighed, rolling his eyes and standing up. He dusted off his pants quickly, as if there were anything on them, and reached for his robe. “I didn’t sell you out to anyone, Kurai. I don’t think you should blame me for this. You know He’s always been much harder on you than he has me, and he already knows you can travel through the realms when not even He, the Crimson Lord himself, can’t.”

“I didn’t tell anyone anything,” Enoxon simply replied with a slight shrug. 

“According to Astaroth, you shared everything with them, from the portal to magically being teleported there!” Kurai’s face was red with anger as he began to pace back and forth. 

“Portal?” I questioned quietly, watching him. 

The sorcerer sighed, putting his hands together as he stood awkwardly. “Things may have been twisted a little - but honestly? How much could they have possibly punished you? The Crimson Lord loves you!”

Kurai, obviously annoyed, took a deep breath and glared coldly at the sorcerer across the room. His eyes sparked with anger, and his fists were clenching and unclenching. “I hate you; you realize th.t? I hate you so much to the point, I wish you’d get taken away,” He muttered.

“Aw, that’s not very nice, Kurai!” Enoxon whined and shook his head. But,” he said with a small smile, “they don’t know the full story like you’ve assumed. They know bits and parts—they know that a portal was activated and opened, and that’s about it. Since we’re on ‘lockdown,’” he mocked, pointing to the sky. 

I watched their interaction, tilting my head with curiosity. “Lockdown? How can The Underworld be on lockdown? Aren’t you guys like where the afterlife goes?” I questioned.

“The Celestials don’t watch us like you think they do, Eno,” Kurai replied, ignoring my question.

“You seem a bit tuckered out from their punishment,” the gray-haired sorcerer replied. “What did they make you eat, Coconut Frog? Fried Stew of trout?” He teased the nogitsune. 

Kurai didn’t reply; his anger subsided, and he seemed out of it. He looked tired, looking at the tiny dark circles under his eyes that bounced and danced in the shadows of the fire. From the little information I’ve gathered today, it seems that there is officially a Hell and some kind of heaven. I’m not sure what they called the heavens, but they look like that: Human World, Shadow World… Light World? Heaven? Angel World? I have no idea. 

“You know Kurai,” Enoxon said quietly, ignoring me and continuing his conversation with his friend, “We’re on lockdown for whatever reason. They’ve pinned us in chains - they’re watching us. Sure, it may not be as major as a watch as you think, but they are. If you or I make one wrong move, we’ll be sent to the Shadow Realm. That’s part of why several Angels are down here to keep an eye on us.”

Interesting. So they have a Celestial World -, with angels. I wonder what they did or why they’re being watched. 

“And sometimes I’d rather be in that damned Shadow World than here with no freedom,” Kurai blubbered, dropping his head in the palm of his hand. His eyes locked with the flames dancing in the firepit. He was bothered and tired, which made me wonder even more - was Kurai more of a target than others?

“I’m sure all of us want that same freedom,” Enoxon murmured. But we just... not with the souls roaming freely. Things got weird here after the Reaper disappeared.”

“Reaper?” I asked, finally chiming in.

“Mmm, yes. The Grim Reaper, as your world would tell fairy tales about it. A designated soul to collect the souls of humans who have passed—the ones in charge of guiding souls. They are the ones to watch the lifelines of humans, demons, angels, and much more,” Enoxon explained, finally realizing I was there with them. 

“And they… Just disappeared?” I questioned. “Was that what I saw at Abigail’s Tree? That little blue thing? What happened to it?”

Kurai and Enoxon exchanged glances before the sorcerer said, “Honestly, we’re not sure. It disappeared when the demon disappeared. It’s possible that the demon was able to take the soul away with it.”

When I heard that, a frown almost immediately formed. The little blue thing looked and sounded like a child, which would be very heartbreaking if that were the case. 

“The underworld is a lot larger than you think it is,” Kurai said, his head resting on the couch now. “It goes on forever - so many different realms of the underworld - or levels, rather,” He explained. “A lot of souls are spread out. Asturdorm is just one place. Many demons will typically be off in a specific level of the Underworld. It’s confusing - you’ll get it one day.”

“Right,” Enoxon agreed. So many years ago, the underworld lost its reaper. No one knows what happened to them except the reaper themselves. When they went missing, the Gods of the Celestial World stated that the underworld could not run without one. Thus, this created a ‘frozen’ state for us—putting the underworld in chains to ensure we couldn’t overrun anything or strike up a war with the Celestials.”

Listening to them, I frowned. It was weird to think that without a reaper, the underworld would be unable to operate correctly. Indeed, there would have been Gods of the Underworld if they had also been in the Celestial World. Questioning it, I asked, “So they just… Froze your underworld because they didn’t trust you? And now human souls are doomed to an eternity of being lost?” I asked. I could feel rather bothered by it. The fact that human souls were just being thrown into an eternity of darkness, and no one seemed to care. 

Kurai shifted his focus entirely towards me before responding, "Not exactly," he began, "With the lockdown and the reaper's vanishing act, the Celestials set up their judgment system. But frankly, their decisions leave much to be desired, nowhere close to the reaper's discernment. They struggle with directing souls to their rightful afterlives, which is ironic, considering their celestial status." His tone dripped with sarcasm as he continued, "Their judgments are swayed by personal bias. Take, for instance, a Celestial encountering a less-than-pure human; they'd hastily label them as a 'mistake,' casting them into the underworld to be lost indefinitely.

"So, is it that at any moment, someone could be doomed to eternal despair in the underworld and left to wander or fall prey to a demon? Is that my fate? Am I just a misdirected soul that got caught up with you guys?" I questioned, seeking clarity on my situation.

"You're not a soul, Snow," Enoxon interjected with a chuckle, a wide grin spreading across his face. "Far from it," he added, his laughter echoing suddenly.

Embarrassed, I huffed and crossed my arms. “What about impure souls? They’re just… Poof! Gone? Humans should be able to prove themselves to go to the Celestial World. If they can’t prove themselves, staying in the Underworld may benefit them. I’ve made many mistakes before; should I be a lost spirit in Hell, too?” I demanded. I don’t know what washed over my emotions, but I was beginning to feel a bit angry. I was mostly angry that the Celestials thought it’d be okay to label the most minor things as mistakes practically. 

“Have you been impure?” Enoxon questioned out of the blue.

My cheeks were red when he asked that, and I turned on him quickly, “What? No! Relationships are stupid,” I growled, gritting my teeth.

“Then I’d say you’re-”

“No!” My anger pent up as I realized I snapped at him, my eyes cold with anger. “No one, and I mean no one, should be thrown into eternal darkness because of a mistake. Shit happens!” Why was I so angry? 

I froze, staring coldly at him. “That’s like saying you blew up some village with a bunch of bad guys like rapists or murderers, that you should just be thrown into eternal darkness with nothing ahead of you but… Darkness! Demons! Hate?!” 

“I mean….” Enoxon murmured, balancing out an invisible scale on his hands.

“Everything happens for a reason, Enoxon. Whatever your reasoning is for bringing me here to this underworld. Why? Why did you bring me here?!” I snapped, crossing my arms and stopping a few feet from the two sitting on the couch, watching me pace and then halt. “I want answers - now.” 

“You are absolutely in no position to demand anything from us,” Kurai’s angry voice returned, immediately standing up off the couch and stepping towards me, towering over me. The man crossed his arms as if defending Enoxon and himself for their actions. 

I matched his attitude as best I could. “I am absolutely in the position to know why I’ve been brought to the underworld with you,” I glared at him. I didn’t often feel anger like this, but something felt different. Something stirred in me and caused me to be angry about the entire situation. How could they sit around and let poor souls just… Die? Or disappear, or whatever happens to them after they’re sent here? 

The nogitsune raised his chin slightly, his head tilting as he looked down upon me. His eyes were glowing amber, flickering with impatience and rising anger in response to my challenging tone. My adrenaline surged, priming me for confrontation. Despite the intimidating intensity of his stare, I stood my ground, returning his gaze with equal enthusiasm, my cheeks flushed with the heat of my anger.

“You are not in a position to demand shit,” He stated clearly. “You are getting worked up over nothing. You know nothing of our world.”

"Comes from the guy who got angry over a simple joke that wizard-boy made earlier about being a furry," I shot back icily. "So shut it," I snarled, my teeth clenched tightly in anger.

"Shut it?" Kurai echoed, a mocking tone lacing his words. His eyes narrowed in annoyance, his teeth gritting in a gesture that nearly resembled a smile but fell short, reflecting his irritation rather than amusement.

"Ooh, is the big bad kitty going to come after me next because I made him angry?" I taunted, shaping my hands into mock cat ears. My annoyance had peaked; I was fully engaged and ready for whatever came next. Whatever Enoxon had put in that breakfast certainly stirred something within me. Provoking him further, I couldn't resist offering a mockingly pouty face. I even observed his ear twitch in irritation, his ears beginning to flatten, a clear sign of his growing annoyance. Perfect.

Kurai inched closer to me; his ears flattened against him as he murmured at me, his eyes brimming with anger. I could feel the heat pulsating from his hands. “Keep in mind what kind of thing you are, human,” His voice was low and full of rage.

“Give me back my dagger, and we can see who’s in the worst position, Cat.”

Feeling a sudden pressure against my stomach, I realized immediately what was happening. Kurai's hand, ablaze with fiery energy, inched closer, threatening to stab me with his fiery grasp. The heat from his hand began to singe my clothes slightly as he clutched the fabric over my stomach. "I'd highly recommend you watch who you're talking to, human scum," he hissed, his sharp teeth exposed in a snarl, eyes ablaze with fury.

"And with that," Enoxon interjected, his voice cutting through the tension. A wall of pulsating light materialized between Kurai and me, effectively separating us. "We'll call it a day."

With the barrier between us, Kurai's heated touch withdrew from my shirt. We exchanged a brief, intense look fueled by anger and rage. Catching a glimpse of my reflection in the barrier, I noticed an odd similarity in my eyes to the purple glow characteristic of Astaroth's—strikingly similar—and blinked in confusion. What was happening to me? Shaking my head, I stepped back from the barrier, my attention shifting to the infuriated nogitsune on the other side. He was enveloped in flames, his breath heavy, his glare unwavering as he looked at me.

“Let’s get some fresh air and just take a night to ourselves, shall we?” Enoxon’s voice echoed through the anger that was blocking everything out. 

I looked down at my shirt, seeing a slight singe through it, exposing a small piece of the demon wound that sat on the other side. My heart sank - there was no way I could’ve meant harm to Kurai, right? I mean, look at what happened to me already. 

Kurai’s gaze dropped from my own eyes to the same wound on my side, and he shook his head, “Whatever,” The man muttered as his flames began to disappear. He pushed the hair out of his eyes before leaving the room. 

“Weird. I’ve never seen Kurai step back from a fight,” Enoxon’s voice tried to clear the air of any anger or awkwardness that was left. The small wall of light disappeared as he looked me over, “Are you ok?” He asked me.

“I um… I’m fine,” I replied quietly, avoiding his gaze as I was embarrassed.

“Well, way to show him who was alpha!” Enoxon cheered, patting me on my head, and he continued, “He’s never. . .”

But I didn’t let him finish; I needed to go to bed. “Thanks, Enoxon. I'm going to bed, though,” I told him as I began to walk away from the living room.

“Um... Ok, I’ll just… Hang out here!” Enoxon said awkwardly. 

While I was upstairs, I was surprised to see that the bedroom from earlier had its bathroom. Stepping inside, the first thing that caught my eye was a standalone bathtub beside a large window draped with soft, rosy-pink curtains. Much like the one in the bedroom, this window provided a panoramic view of the dense, shadowy forest stretching out behind the house. Positioned atop a sizable hill, the house offered an unobstructed vista of the surroundings. The scene was tranquil—a serene backdrop that imbued the space with a sense of peace despite the chill when the window was left ajar. As I soaked in the tub, the soothing atmosphere allowed me to reflect and gather my thoughts, pondering the day's discoveries in absolute relaxation.

Finding myself in the underworld—a realm far removed from the human world I once knew—was an overwhelming revelation. This place, teeming with demons, wandering souls, and sorcerers, not to mention spirits that took the forms of foxes and wolves, was beyond anything I could have imagined. The sheer possibility of what else might exist here filled me with fear and curiosity. The reality that I was in the underworld, a place of lore and myth, was indisputable. This wasn't some elaborate prank or a dream from which I could awake. The question of "Why me?" lingered heavily in my mind. Only days ago, had someone questioned my belief in demons and angels, my response would have been a skeptical denial. Yet, here I was, amidst demons, in a reality that was as incredible as it was unfathomable.

The circumstances of my arrival were peculiar. Eno and Kurai, who stumbled upon me, mentioned that a portal had somehow reacted to my presence. Was it a mere coincidence, or had it been a mistake? The nature of my encounter with them was as baffling as it was fortuitous. Despite the life-saving intervention by Kurai, my emotions had gotten the best of me, leading to an outburst of anger directed at him. The complexity of my feelings towards them—gratitude intertwined with confusion and frustration—mirrored the complexity of the underworld itself.

My attention then shifted to the window beside me, through which I peered into the enveloping darkness of the forest. Beyond the window lay an endless expanse of trees blanketed in snow, stretching as far as the eye could see. In the distance, a faint glow hinted at the presence of another settlement, perhaps similar to the mountain town I had initially set out for. Yet, my journey there had been anything but smooth, thwarted by an unfortunate encounter with demons.

As I lifted my arm, I couldn't help but fixate on the mark the demon had left behind. It was a hideous sight, a gash that seemed to sear into my skin with its black, burnt-looking edges. The sight of the long, intimidating marks filled me with fear. Although Kurai had intervened, either healing the wound or purging the poison, whatever it did to me, the dread persisted. The demon's haunting proclamation, "You are marked for death," reverberated through my thoughts. It left me wondering whether Kurai had managed to erase the so-called mark of death or if the physical wounds were the mark itself.

Reflecting on my reaction, I realized I should have shown more appreciation towards Kurai. Instead, I let my anger take control, unleashing a side of myself I didn't know existed. I've never been one to act aggressively, making my outburst all the more mortifying. Perhaps I should apologize to him.

I didn’t enjoy making enemies—not at all. It hurt me knowing that I was so beyond the point where I taunted and teased him—I had never done that. And what was with the fancy purple glowy eyes? Perhaps it is a side effect of the demon marking? Ugh. It bothered me so much. Why did it bother me? Why did the look he gave me bother me? Had I gone out of my way to hurt someone intentionally? 

With a deep sigh, I sat there and tried my best to enjoy the silence. 

 


 

Here is our lovely "Crimson Prince" from the previous chapter! 0_2.webp

0