Chapter 1: A Moment to Prove
69 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gribble the goblin sat alone in the dark, damp cave, sulking after being laughed at and pushed around by the other goblins during weapons training earlier that day. He stared down at his scrawny green arms and boney fingers, wondering why he wasn't big and strong like the other goblins in the pack. Why was he so weak and useless? 

Ever since he was a child, Gribble had struggled to keep up with the others. No matter how hard he tried, his weak muscles just couldn't match their strength and speed. While they swung heavy spiked clubs and threw spears with ease, Gribble could barely lift a small dagger without his arms shaking.

Now nearing adulthood, the gap between Gribble and the other young goblins had only grown wider. They towered over him, with thick muscles bulging under their tough green skin. Next to them, Gribble looked like a runt, a mistake. He felt like an outcast in his own clan, unwanted and alone. 

Earlier that day, the gap had been more obvious than ever during weapons training. "Useless Gribble!" the other goblins had shouted as they easily hefted massive hammers and battle axes, each one bigger than Gribble's entire body. Krub and Griz, two of the biggest bullies, swung spiked maces in sweeping arcs, knocking aside dummy targets with brutal force.

Meanwhile, Gribble struggled to even pick up a short sword from the pile of training weapons. His arms shook violently as he attempted to lift the blade, his face turning red with effort. But no matter how hard he strained, he couldn't raise it higher than his waist before his strength gave out and the sword clattered back to the ground.

"Get out of the way, runt!" Krub snarled, roughly shoving Gribble aside to grab the sword himself. He swung it through the air in a gleaming arc before sinking it deep into a targets with a splintering crunch. Gribble scrambled backwards, nearly tripping over his own feet in his haste to avoid Krub's mockery.

The head goblin trainer, a grizzled old warrior named Gruk, stomped over, his one good eye glaring balefully at Gribble. Gruk was a legend, responsible for forging countless young goblins into brutal fighters for the tribe. Dozens of scars criss-crossed his leathery green skin, each one a mark of pride from a hard-won battle.

But Gruk had no pride or praise to offer Gribble that day. "You're wasting everyone's time, runt," he growled, yellow teeth bared in disgust. "A goblin that can't even lift a sword is no use to this clan. Now get out of my sight before I use you for target practice instead!"

Gribble felt his face burn with humiliation as the other young goblins erupted into mocking laughter and jeers all around him. "Runt!" "Weakling!" "Useless!" Even the smallest and youngest among them joined in the heckling, delighted to have someone even lower than them to look down on. 

With Gruk's dismissal ringing in his ears, Gribble turned and fled, desperate to escape the abuse. He scurried out of the training cavern as fast as his scrawny legs could carry him, the cruel laughter of his clan mates echoing off the dank stone walls behind him. Tears of shame pricked at his eyes, but he blinked them away furiously. Crying would only prove their taunts right.

He didn't stop running until he reached the deepest, most isolated corner of the cave system, far from the main living areas. The shadows grew thicker here, the air heavy with cold dampness that seeped into Gribble's bones. Only a few feeble rays of light filtered down from gaps in the high stone ceiling, barely enough to see by.

But Gribble didn't need light. He knew every narrow passage and jagged outcropping of this remote section by heart. This was his place, his miserable refuge from the unending torment that was life in the goblin pack. How many hours had he whiled away here over the years, nursing his despair and self-loathing? 

The young goblin slumped against the slimy cave wall, drawing his knees up to his narrow chest. Hot tears of rage and humiliation started streaming down his cheeks, leaving pale tracks through the grime on his face. He pounded one bony fist against the ground in helpless frustration.

It wasn't fair! Gribble wanted so badly to be a strong warrior like the others, to make his clan proud. But the gods had cursed him with this weak, pitiful body. No matter how much he pushed himself, how stubbornly he struggled to keep up with the training routines that left his peers flush with exertion and glory, it was never enough. He would always be puny Gribble, the runt, the laughingstock.

And now here he was, alone in the dark once again while the rest of the pack feasted and boasted of their strength in the communal cavern. Their raucous laughter and chatter drifted to him faintly, as if from another world. A world that would never truly accept him as one of their own.

A sudden scuffling noise snapped Gribble out of his misery. He lifted his head, peering warily into the gloom with wide yellow eyes. The shadows shifted, and a menacing form emerged - hulking shoulders, glinting eyes, and a cruel sneer twisting a all-too-familiar mottled green face.

It was Krub, Gribble's chief tormenter. The older goblin swaggered closer, another shadow detaching from the darkness to follow in his wake. Griz, Krub's constant crony and eager second in any abuse that could be heaped upon their weaker clan mate. 

Gribble felt a rush of weary resignation, tinged with simmering anger. Of course they would seek him out, even here in his isolation. No humiliation was complete for them until they had ground his face in it, exacted every last shred of dignity and defiance. 

"Well well, look what we have here," Krub drawled, looming over Gribble's hunched form. "Sniveling alone in the dark like a little lost bat. What's the matter, runt? Did the nasty weapons training make you cry?" His words dripped with mock sympathy, his yellow eyes glinting with malicious glee.

"Poor ickle Gribble," Griz chimed in, baring his crooked fangs in a leering grin. "Maybe we should get you a little toy sword, something more your size. You could practice fighting mushrooms, since even the cave slugs are too much for you to handle!"

Krub guffawed, slamming one meaty fist into his palm. "Nah, a mushroom would probably beat him too. This worthless little maggot couldn't fight his way out of a rotting log."

Gribble clenched his fists, nails biting into his palms hard enough to draw blood. Humiliation and fury simmered in his gut, churning into a white-hot ball of rage. He wanted to scream at them, to slash at their sneering faces until he wiped those smug expressions away in a spray of blood and fear. 

But he knew it was futile. They were bigger, stronger, and there were two of them. Any feeble show of defiance would only egg them on, give them an excuse to pummel him senseless and leave him broken on the damp stone floor. It had happened too many times before.

And so Gribble hunched his shoulders, ducking his head and trying to will himself invisible. Maybe if he just ignored them, they would get bored and wander off to torment some other poor sap. Maybe he could salvage just a shred of dignity, a sliver of peace in his miserable corner of the world.

But Krub and Griz were in a vicious mood, riled up on the heady mix of violence and dominance that was catnip to young goblin warriors. They crowded in closer, their rank breath hot on Gribble's face, their shadows falling across him like a smothering shroud.

"What's the point of you even sticking around, runt?" Krub sneered, giving Gribble a rough shove that sent him sprawling. "You're an embarrassment to the whole goblin pack. Useless in a fight, useless on a hunt, just a puny little waste of space and food. You should do us all a favor and just wander off into the deep tunnels. Get lost and starve, and spare us the shame of your patheticness."

Gribble tried to scramble back to his feet, his breath coming in ragged gasps. He opened his mouth, a feeble protest rising to his lips. "I...I want to help the pack. I want to be a good warrior. I'm trying, I just need more time..."

Krub cut him off with a short, barking laugh. "Help us? A good warrior? Keep dreaming, maggot. Goblins like you don't get better with time. You started out weak, and you'll die weak. The only thing you'll ever be good for is worm food."

As if to punctuate his words, the big goblin lashed out with one massive fist, catching Gribble hard in the gut. The smaller goblin doubled over, all the air whooshing out of his lungs in an agonized grunt. Stabbing pain lanced through his abdomen, and he crumpled to the floor, desperately trying to suck in a breath.

Griz laughed, an ugly sound in the dank air of the cave. "Worm food or target practice. Gruk has the right idea - maybe we should start using you to test out our new weapons and poisons. See how long you can dance with a few arrows in your back, or with spider venom pumping through your blood."

The two bullies loomed over Gribble's prone form for a long moment, drinking in the sight of his pain and humiliation. Then, apparently satisfied with their sport, they turned and swaggered off into the darkness, their cruel laughter echoing off the cavern walls.

Gribble lay there for a long time, curled around the throbbing agony in his gut, hot tears of rage and shame leaking from his tightly clenched eyes. Every rasping breath sent fresh spasms of pain rippling through his battered body, but the hurt inside him went far deeper.

Krub's words rang in his head, a mocking chorus that drowned out every feeble whisper of hope and defiance. Useless. Pathetic. Weak. A waste of space. Each word was like a poisoned dart, sinking deep into Gribble's soul and spreading its venom through his heart.

Maybe they were right. Maybe he should just slink off into the deep tunnels and let the underworld swallow him whole. What was the point of clinging to this miserable existence, forever the clan reject, the butt of every joke and casual cruelty? He would never be a warrior, never earn a place of respect among his people. He was doomed to scrabble out his days in the muck, scorned and spurned, until some monster or stray arrow finally put him out of his misery.

Gribble lay there, drowning in despair, for what felt like hours. The shadows lengthened around him, and the distant sounds of the clan's life faded into echoing silence. But as the young goblin wallowed in his wretchedness, something small and stubborn kindled to life deep in his heart.

A spark of defiance, feeble but fierce, guttered against the darkness threatening to swallow him. He couldn't give up. He couldn't let their cruelty win. Gribble might be weak and runty, but he had already survived so much. Fighting and failing, over and over, always struggling back to his feet to face the next blow.

He wasn't dead yet. And as long as he drew breath, there was still hope. Hope that he could find a way to prove his worth, to carve out a place for himself despite the scorn and abuse of his clan mates. He just needed to keep trying, to seize any chance to show that he had value.

Slowly, painfully, Gribble hauled himself up into a sitting position. He leaned his back against the cold stone, digging in his tunic until his fingers closed around the small charm that hung around his neck on a bit of frayed twine. He drew it out and held it up, squinting at the crude carving in the faint light.

It wasn't much to look at - a misshapen lump of bone, etched with faded and clumsy runes. But Gribble knew it was ancient, and powerfully magical. His great-grandfather had wielded it in battle, or so the stories said - an enchanted goblin charm that brought strength and luck to its wearer.

Gribble didn't know if he believed the tales. But right now, staring at that pitiful scrap of bone, he needed to believe in something. Needed to cling to any shred of hope, no matter how thin. 

Clasping the charm tight in his fist, Gribble bowed his head and began to whisper, his cracked lips shaping the words of a desperate prayer. He called upon the goblin gods, pleading for their favor, their strength. He begged them to guide his path, to show him a way to prove his worth and silence his tormentors. To finally become the goblin he was meant to be.

The charm grew warm against his clammy palm as he prayed, the ancient runes seeming to flicker with a faint, sputtering light. Gribble squeezed his eyes shut, pouring every ounce of his yearning and desperation into his fevered words. He prayed until his throat was raw, until the alst of his tears had dried on his dirty cheeks.

When he finally opened his eyes again, the cavern seemed unchanged. The same oppressive darkness, the same dank chill seeping into his bones. But something had shifted inside Gribble - a fragile new thread of determination kindling to life amidst the ashes of his despair. 

He still didn't know how he was going to prove himself. Didn't know what tricks or trials might await him on the path ahead. But one thing crystallized in his heart with sudden, iron certainty. He would keep fighting. Keep striving and struggling, no matter how many times he was knocked down.

Because he was Gribble, of the Bonecrusher Clan. And no runt or weakling could have survived this long in the teeth of such contempt and abuse. That stubborn spark in him, that mulish refusal to just lay down and die...maybe that was a kind of strength too. 

And maybe, just maybe, it would be enough to see him through. To lead him to the destiny he could feel calling to him, even if he couldn't put a name to it yet. 

There in the dark, clutching his ancestor's charm like a drowning goblin seizing a bit of driftwood, Gribble made a vow to himself and any gods that might be listening. He would show them all what he was made of. He would carve out a legend of his own, even if it killed him.

This wretched cave, this daily gauntlet of humiliation and pain...it would not be the end of his story. Only the bitter beginning of a tale that would echo through goblin history.

With a grunt of pain and effort, Gribble levered himself to his feet, swaying slightly as he fought to steady himself. He couldn't change the body the gods had given him. Couldn't magically transform into a hulking warrior overnight. 

But he could still act. Still seize any chance to claw his way up from the bottom of the heap. And as he stood there, breathing hard and shaking off the lingering ache of Krub's blow, Gribble caught a sudden skittering movement out of the corner of his eye.

He spun to face it, instantly alert, falling into the wary crouch that any goblin learned early if they wanted to survive the dangers of the deep caves. There, clinging to the craggy wall only a few feet away, was a darting shadow about the size of Gribble's hand.

The young goblin squinted, straining to make out details in the gloom, and felt a sudden thrill of excitement as he realized what he was seeing. A cave lizard - a fat, juicy one by the look of it, covered in glittering scales and easily as long as Gribble's forearm.

Cave lizards were a rare treat - quick and canny, with flesh that was succulent and savory when roasted over the cookfire. Goblins prized them as a delicacy, but they were notoriously hard to catch, able to scurry up sheer stone and vanish into impossibly small cracks at the first hint of danger.

Gribble's mouth watered at the thought of sinking his fangs into that hot, greasy meat. His stomach gave a painful twist, reminding him that he hadn't eaten since the meager morning meal of gruel and cave fungus. He was as hollow as a drum inside, weak with hunger on top of all his other pains.

If he could kill this lizard and offer its meat to the clan for dinner, it would show them that he wasn't completely useless after all. They would have to see that he was able to contribute, to provide for the pack in his own way. This was the perfect opportunity.

Moving with exaggerated slowness and care, Gribble drew his small dagger from his belt. He hardly dared to breathe as he began creeping towards the oblivious lizard on silent, bare feet. His heart thundered against his ribs as he drew closer and closer, hardly believing that the creature hadn't yet noticed his approach.

He managed to get within striking distance, close enough to see the lazy flick of the lizard's forked tongue as it tasted the dank air. Gribble tightened his grip on the dagger's handle, his palms slick with nervous sweat. This was it, his one chance to prove his worth. He couldn't afford to mess this up.

With a strangled cry that was half desperation and half prayer, Gribble leapt forward in a clumsy lunge. He brought the dagger down with all his meager strength, squeezing his eyes shut at the last second, terrified that he would miss his target.

There was a meaty thunk, and Gribble felt a hot gush of liquid splash over his hands. His eyes flew open and he stared down in shock. The dagger was lodged deep in the lizard's thick neck, nearly decapitating the creature. It had died instantly, its body now lying in a rapidly spreading pool of dark blood on the cavern floor.

Gribble gaped at the gory scene, barely able to process what he had just accomplished. He had done it. He had actually killed something all on his own, with no help from anyone else. A fierce surge of pride swelled in his narrow chest.

Seizing the lizard's limp tail, Gribble yanked his dagger free from its flesh with a wet sucking sound. He hardly even noticed the blood that now coated his hands and spattered his arms. All he could think about was getting back to the main cavern to show the rest of the pack what he had managed to do.

Gripping his prize firmly, Gribble rushed through the winding tunnels as fast as his short legs could carry him. He bounded into the common area with a manic, gap-toothed grin stretching his homely face.

"Look everyone, look what I did!" Gribble crowed, holding the dead lizard aloft by its tail for all to see. "I caught us some dinner!"

Dozens of yellow eyes swiveled to stare at Gribble in surprise, conversations trailing off into confused silence. For a breathless moment, no one reacted. Then Krub shouldered his way forward with a nasty scowl darkening his brutish features.

Before Gribble could even blink, the larger goblin had snatched the lizard corpse out of his hands. Krub brought it up to his blunt snout and sniffed it suspiciously.

"Thanks for the snack, squirt," Krub said with a dismissive sneer.

He sank his fangs into the lizard's flank and tore away a big, juicy chunk of meat. Chewing noisily, Krub tossed the mangled carcass to Griz and the other young warriors clustered around him. They descended upon it in a flurry of grasping claws and gnashing teeth, greedily devouring every scrap of flesh and gristle.

Gribble watched helplessly as the lizard he had worked so hard to catch disappeared down their gullets in a matter of seconds. He hadn't even gotten to taste a single bite of the meat himself. His shoulders slumped as a bitter sense of defeat crashed over him.

The rest of the pack had already lost interest, turning back to their own conversations and activities. No one offered Gribble a word of praise or congratulations. No one seemed to care about the brave and difficult thing he had just accomplished.

To them, he was still just useless little Gribble, the runt of the clan who would never amount to anything. In their eyes, one measly lizard couldn't make up for a lifetime of being a weak, pitiful burden on the pack.

Sighing heavily, Gribble turned and began trudging back to his lonely corner of the cavern. The flush of victory had faded, leaving him feeling more isolated and inadequate than ever. But as he sank down onto the damp stone floor, Gribble silently renewed his vow to the goblin gods.

He would prove his worth to the pack, no matter what it took or how long he had to keep trying. Gribble refused to resign himself to being the clan whipping boy forever. There had to be something he was meant to do, some reason the gods had seen fit to give him life and allow him to survive this long.

One day, somehow, he would show them all what Gribble the goblin was truly made of. They would have no choice but to respect his contributions and accept him as one of their own. Until then, he would just have to keep his head down, weather the cruelty and abuse, and never stop looking for his chance to shine.

2