Chapter 12: A Refuge from the Storm
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gribble stood at the edge of the cliff, his heart beating fast. The goblin soldiers were coming closer, their weapons shining in the sun. They wanted to capture Gribble, just like Grimrock had told them to. Gribble was trapped, with nowhere to run. The loud waters crashed below him. The sharp rocks seemed to mock him, telling of a quick and painful end if he tried to escape. Gribble's mind raced, looking for a way out, some small bit of hope in this scary situation.

Time seemed to slow down as Gribble looked at the hard ground far under him. His heartbeat pounded in his ears like a drum of coming doom. He knew he only had a few seconds to choose - to be caught for sure or to maybe survive. Gribble's eyes darted from the goblins to the cliff and back again. His brain weighed the chances as fast as it could. He thought about everything he had gone through and given up to get here. He wouldn't let it all be for nothing. Taking a deep breath, Gribble made his choice, ready for whatever happened next.

The moment Gribble stepped off the cliff, the world seemed to tilt. The wind whipped by him, pulling at his clothes and hair as he fell toward the ground. Gribble's stomach dropped and his heart jumped into his throat as he felt the terror of falling. The cliff walls blurred into a dizzying mix of colors as the jagged rocks grew bigger and scarier each second. Gribble's mind went blank, overwhelmed by the sheer horror of it all. He could feel the spray of the churning waters on his skin and taste the salt of his tears on his lips.

Even as the ground zoomed up to meet him, Gribble's brain raced to find a way to save himself from a gruesome fate. He remembered his blink power, the special ability that had saved him so many times before. A tiny spark of hope lit in his chest. With all his might, Gribble focused on that power, using every bit of strength and willpower he had. He imagined himself blinking out of existence and appearing safely on the valley floor. He wished with all his heart for that picture to become real. 

Just before Gribble hit the ground, he felt the familiar tingle of his power surging through him. It started as a warmth in his chest that spread out to his arms and legs like liquid fire. Gribble's skin prickled with energy, his hair standing up as the power built stronger and stronger. For a moment, he felt like he was being pulled in a thousand ways at once, his body stretching and twisting as the world bent around him. Then, with a bright flash of light and a whoosh of air, Gribble blinked out of sight, vanishing from the cliff in an instant.

Gribble appeared on the valley floor in a jumble of arms and legs, gasping for breath. His body shook from the strain of his narrow escape. Using his power in such an extreme way hit him like a punch, making his muscles go limp and his vision swim with tiredness. Gribble tried to push himself up to check where he was and how badly he was hurt, but his body wouldn't cooperate. A wave of dizziness washed over him, making his head spin and his stomach churn with nausea. Gribble's eyes fluttered closed as the world around him faded away and he slipped into the comforting darkness of unconsciousness.

Time lost all meaning as Gribble drifted in and out of awareness, his mind floating in a fog of pain and confusion. He caught glimpses of the world around him, bits of color and sound that flitted through his mind like half-remembered dreams. Sometimes he thought he heard distant, muffled voices, like they were coming through thick layers of cotton. He felt hands on his body, gentle but firm, moving him and tending to his wounds with practiced skill. But through it all, Gribble remained trapped between waking and sleeping, his hold on reality thin and fragile.

When Gribble finally woke up fully, the world around him seemed both familiar and strangely different. He blinked open his eyes, squinting against the bright sunlight filtering down through the thick leaves above. The air smelled earthy and green, filling his nose and sticking in his throat. Gribble's body ached with a constant dull throb from his injuries and the strain of his escape. He pushed himself up on his elbows, wincing at the pull of sore muscles and bruised skin. He looked around in growing amazement.

The valley spread out before Gribble was a place of stunning beauty, a lush green haven tucked between tall cliffs and rugged hills. The trees around him were old and twisted into fantastic shapes by time and nature. The ground was a carpet of colorful ferns and flowers that danced in the warm breeze. In the distance, Gribble heard a babbling stream, mixed with the songs of birds and the hum of bugs. It was a place that seemed untouched by the troubles of the outside world, a secret refuge promising safety and peace to those who found it.

As Gribble struggled to his feet, his legs shaky beneath him, he sensed someone nearby. His hand reached for a weapon on instinct, his body tensing for a fight, only to go slack when he realized he had no weapons and was defenseless. Gribble's eyes darted around the clearing, searching for the source of the movement. His breath caught as he saw a group of trolls emerge from the trees. The creatures were tall and muscular, their skin a mix of greens, their eyes glinting with sharp intelligence. They moved with purpose and grace despite their size.

The troll shaman stepped forward, his eyes meeting Gribble's with an intense stare. The old troll's face was creased with age and wisdom, his skin weathered and his hair a wispy white. He held a smooth staff in one hand and a pouch of herbs and charms hung from his belt. The shaman's eyes seemed to see right into Gribble's heart. He motioned for the young goblin to follow, his movements slow and purposeful. Gribble felt a flicker of hope in his chest. Maybe in this hidden valley, he could rest and hide from the goblin army chasing him.

As Gribble limped behind the trolls, his mind raced with the possibilities this new place offered. He knew he couldn't hope to face Grimrock and his army alone. He would need to regain his current strength and help of others to have any chance. But even as he weighed the possible benefits of showing the trolls his powers, Gribble felt a twinge of doubt and fear. He had hidden his abilities for so long, keeping them secret from everyone. Sharing them openly felt like betraying everything he had fought for. So, as he followed the troll shaman into the heart of the village, Gribble decided to keep his powers hidden and wait before revealing all he could do. It was a risk, he knew, but one he had to take to survive what was ahead.

Gribble followed the troll shaman, his steps slow and unsteady on the uneven ground. The path they took wound through the thick bushes, twisting like a snake through the leaves. The air got cooler as they went deeper into the forest, the sunlight making dappled patterns on the forest floor. 

As they walked, Gribble found himself studying the trolls more closely, curious about their strange appearance. Their skin was a mix of greens, rough like tree bark. Their eyes were bright and smart, shining with an intense fire that seemed to see right through him. They moved smoothly, their steps sure as they navigated the winding forest paths.

The troll shaman led the way, his staff tapping a steady beat on the hard-packed earth. He was an impressive figure, tall and broad, with a face lined with age and experience. His deep-set eyes held a wisdom that seemed ancient. Gribble was drawn to the old troll, captivated by the sense of power surrounding him.

As they walked, Gribble's mind buzzed with questions, his curiosity battling his caution. He wanted to know more about these odd creatures and understand their ways. But at the same time, he was unsure whether they were hostile or any hidden agenda.

So he stayed quiet, following the troll shaman deeper into the forest, his eyes wide with wonder and his heart pounding with a mix of fear and excitement. He could feel the ache of his injuries, the pain of his bruised body, but he pushed through, driven by a desperate need to find safety and shelter.

Finally, they emerged from the trees into a clearing, and Gribble gasped at the sight before him. It was a village unlike any he had ever seen, a collection of huts that seemed to grow right out of the earth. The buildings were made of living wood, their walls and roofs woven from tree branches and vines. They were decorated with detailed carvings and colorful woven tapestries, each one a work of art.

The villagers themselves were an amazing sight, a mix of trolls and creatures Gribble had never seen. They went about their daily tasks with purpose, their voices rising and falling in a gentle rhythm that blended with the sounds of the forest.

As they entered the village, Gribble could feel the villagers' eyes on him, their gazes curious and assessing. He straightened up, trying to look confident and strong, even as his legs shook beneath him and his vision swam with exhaustion.

The troll shaman led him to a hut near the village center, its walls woven from the flexible branches of a willow tree. He gestured for Gribble to go inside, his eyes kind and his smile gentle.

Gribble hesitated for a moment, his heart racing with a mix of fear and anticipation. But as he looked into the shaman's eyes, he saw a warmth and compassion he had never known before. So, with a deep breath, he stepped forward, crossing the threshold into the unknown.

Inside the hut, the air was cool and fragrant, smelling of herbs and spices. The shaman guided Gribble to a low bed on the floor, helping him lie down and covering him with a soft blanket. 

Gribble could feel exhaustion washing over him in waves, his eyelids growing heavy as the day's events caught up with him. But even as he drifted off to sleep, his mind raced with the possibilities of what the future might hold.

He knew he had taken a big risk in coming here, in trusting these strange creatures. But he also knew he had no choice, that he needed their help to survive what lay ahead. 

So, as he surrendered to sleep, Gribble made a silent promise to himself. He would regain his strength, recover his power, and do whatever it took to protect those who had shown him such kindness. He would stand against Grimrock and his army, no matter what it cost, and fight for the future he knew was worth fighting for.

With that thought held tightly in his mind, Gribble drifted off into a deep, dreamless sleep, his body and mind finally finding the rest they so desperately needed. And as he slept, the world around him went on, the gentle rhythm of life in the hidden valley soothing his battered soul.

Gribble's eyes opened, adjusting to the soft light coming through the woven walls of the hut. He lay still for a moment, taking in his surroundings and how his body felt. The pain that had racked him the day before had faded to a constant ache, and he could feel strength slowly returning to his limbs.

He sat up, wincing at the pull of stiff muscles and the twinge of healing cuts. The blanket covering him slipped down to his waist, and he realized someone had tended to his injuries while he slept. His cuts and scrapes had been cleaned and bandaged, and a fragrant herb paste had been put on his bruises. 

Gribble's heart swelled with gratitude for the kindness shown to him, even as his mind raced with questions about his new allies. He knew so little about the trolls and their ways, and he wondered what had made them take him in and care for him so gently.

As if reading his thoughts, the troll shaman appeared in the hut doorway, his weathered face creased in a kind smile. He carried a bowl of steaming broth in one hand and a cup of fragrant tea in the other, setting them down beside Gribble's bed.

"Drink," the shaman said, his voice deep and rich. "It will help you heal."

Gribble reached for the bowl with shaking hands, bringing it to his lips and taking a small sip. The broth was hearty and savory, infused with the flavors of wild herbs and tender meat. It warmed him from the inside out, chasing away the last traces of cold and tiredness. 

As he drank, the shaman sat on the floor beside him, watching Gribble closely. "You have come far," he said at last, his voice low and thoughtful. "And you carry a great burden."

Gribble almost choked on his broth, his eyes widening in surprise. "How did you know?" he asked, his voice hoarse.

The shaman smiled, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "The spirits whisper many things," he said mysteriously. "And your destiny's weight is clear to see, for those who know how to look."

Gribble set the bowl down, his mind racing with what the shaman's words meant. He thought he had been so careful in keeping his powers and purpose hidden. But it seemed the old troll could see right through him, to the heart of who he was and what he was meant to do. Or maybe the old troll meant differently, well he was unsure.

"I don't know what you mean," he said finally, his voice neutral. "I'm just a goblin, nothing more."

The shaman chuckled, a deep, rumbling sound that filled the small hut. "You are far more than that, young one," he said, his eyes twinkling. "But I won't press you for answers you aren't ready to give."

He stood then, his movements smooth despite his age. "Rest now," he said, his voice gentle but firm. "Regain your strength. When you are ready, we will talk more."

With that, he left the hut, leaving Gribble alone with his thoughts and questions. The young goblin lay back down on the bed, his mind swirling with the possibilities of what the future might hold.

He knew he couldn't stay hidden forever, that eventually he would have to face the dangers lurking beyond this hidden valley. But for now, he would take the shaman's advice and rest, gathering his strength and courage for the trials ahead.

So, with a contented sigh, Gribble closed his eyes once more, letting the gentle sounds of the village lull him back to peaceful slumber. Tomorrow would bring new challenges and fears, but for now, he was safe and warm, surrounded by those who would protect and care for him.

________________________________________

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Greetings, dear readers! Following a week of contemplation, my esteemed companions—namely, myself and I—have reached a decision. We extend a gracious invitation to each of you to partake in an exclusive opportunity: the privilege of delving one chapter deeper into our narrative by joining our private Facebook enclave. Raise a toast to those eagerly awaiting this next chapter, and until we rendezvous on the other side.

Read Chapter 13

0