Chapter 8
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ye Jiao turned her head to look at the sound and saw the man's face. Based on the memories in her head, she called out, "Second Brother."

But she only called out once. Little Ginseng didn't know Ye Erlang, and she wasn't familiar with the polite greetings people exchange when talking, so naturally she had nothing else to say.

However, Ye Erlang didn't notice this. His eyes were on Ye Jiao, looking at her exquisite clothes, then glancing at the ox cart beside her, which made Ye Erlang feel a bit embarrassed.

Especially when he lowered his head and saw that he was still wearing his usual somewhat tattered clothes, the man felt even more awkward.

He knew Ye Jiao was supposed to return for a visit today, but he didn't expect the Qi family to send a cart.

The Ye family hadn't prepared the banquet needed for the return visit at all.

In the midst of an eerie silence, Granny Liu stepped forward and stood beside Ye Jiao.

Madam Liu had instructed Granny Liu, knowing that this Ye family was unreliable. Her daughter-in-law seemed to be good-tempered and she was afraid she would be taken advantage of, so she had Granny Liu come along to protect Ye Jiao.

As long as it was something Qi Yun liked, Madam Liu would value it more.

At this moment, Granny Liu gave a light cough and said with a straight face, "My young mistress is tired from the journey and hasn't even had a sip of water."

Ye Jiao blinked her eyes. Didn't they just eat red bean cakes and drink tea?

Ye Erlang's face turned red. He hurriedly pushed open the door and called out, "Wife, Jiao'er is back! Come out quickly!"

"If she's back then she's back, what's the fuss..." Ye Erlang's wife came out of the room, looking impatient.

But when she saw the scene outside, Ye Erlang's wife suddenly shut her mouth, her eyes sweeping over the ox cart outside, then looking at Ye Jiao's attire, with a look of disbelief on her face.

Ye Erlang had no time to deal with her and hurriedly invited Ye Jiao into the house.

As Ye Jiao passed by Ye Erlang's wife, she suddenly remembered that this person had grabbed her hand before.

Subconsciously putting her hands behind her back, Ye Jiao silently avoided her, causing Xiao Su and Granny Liu to give Ye Erlang's wife a few extra glances.

Seeing his own wife still in a daze, Ye Erlang urged, "Go prepare some food. Don't we still have eggs at home? Make an egg custard, and go buy some wine, quickly."

But Ye Jiao, hearing this inside the room, said, "I won't eat. I'll be leaving in a bit."

It's not that she doesn't love to eat, but gluttony has to depend on the occasion.

Ye Jiao wasn't at ease leaving Qi Yun alone at home. They had just made a fuss this morning, and even though Ye Jiao had handed over her hair to Qi Yun, she still couldn't completely ensure Qi Yun's safety.

She dotes on her own husband. With the weather so cold, Ye Jiao naturally didn't want to stay long at the Ye family.

Granny Liu immediately followed up, helping Ye Jiao smooth things over, "This is for fear of tiring the maternal family. The young mistress is truly a kind and good-hearted person, the most benevolent."

Ye Jiao: ...Huh?

Hearing this, the Ye couple had complex expressions. Ye Erlang dully responded and quickly went into the room, wanting to talk with his younger sister. Ye Erlang's wife, on the other hand, still hadn't come back to her senses.

Sending Ye Jiao to the Qi family was her idea, but Ye Erlang's wife didn't intend for Ye Jiao to live a good life there. Otherwise, she wouldn't have married her sister-in-law off to Qi Yun, who everyone said was a dying invalid.

What Ye Erlang's wife thought was that Qi Yun wouldn't last a few days, and the Qi family would have to hold a funeral right after the wedding.

Ye Jiao, as the bride to ward off bad luck, wouldn't end up well and would likely be kicked out.

Ye Erlang's wife had always been thinking about how to cut ties with her, so she wouldn't come back to eat at their place for free. But contrary to expectations, Ye Jiao was now dressed in finery, clearly living a good life.

...Who would have thought Ye Jiao would actually be able to live well!

Nowadays, the difference between wealthy and poor households was like that between heaven and earth. Seeing that Ye Jiao had clearly found her footing in the Qi family, Ye Erlang's wife didn't have the guts to offend her in an overbearing manner.

To put it bluntly, offending Ye Jiao would be offending the Qi family, and Ye Erlang's wife's whole family wouldn't be able to live well.

Ye Erlang's wife repeatedly told herself in her heart that since she took the money, everything would be fine. How Ye Jiao lived had nothing to do with her.

But she felt especially upset inside, not knowing if it was envy or jealousy, burning her heart.

Inside the room, it was a bit too quiet.

Little Ginseng had no feelings for Ye Erlang to begin with. Whatever he said went in one ear and out the other for Ye Jiao, not taking it to heart.

Ye Erlang quickly ran out of topics and thought for a long time but didn't know what old times he could reminisce about with Ye Jiao.

After holding it in for a while, Ye Erlang finally squeezed out a sentence, "Little sister, are you living well?"

Ye Jiao nodded, "Well."

With food and drink, naturally it was good.

Ye Erlang tried to make himself smile and mumbled, "That's good, that's good."

At this time, a child who looked about six years old ran into the room. Upon seeing Ye Jiao, he wrinkled his face, turned his head and ran out the door, shouting loudly, "Mom, I want egg custard. Don't give it to anyone else."

Everyone could hear who he meant by "anyone else," only Ye Jiao had no reaction at all.

This child was called Ye Bao, the only son of Ye Erlang and his wife. He was usually doted on and spoiled, and was also very mischievous.

But Ye Jiao didn't even glance at Ye Bao, and was too lazy to even flip through her memories.

In fact, Ye Erlang's family hadn't treated the original Ye Jiao well. She didn't have the habit of torturing herself by looking at those memories over and over again.

It was the same now. Ye Jiao didn't hear a single word of what Ye Bao said. Her mind was full of thoughts about going to the herb garden later. She looked calm, but had long since mentally checked out.

Granny Liu, however, widened her eyes. She was tall and sturdy to begin with, looking especially imposing when she had a cold expression.

Outside, Ye Erlang's wife hurriedly covered Ye Bao's mouth. Ye Erlang felt a bit helpless, not knowing whether to be angry at Ye Bao for speaking nonsense or to apologize to Ye Jiao.

After all, Ye Jiao was no longer just his little sister. She had married into the Qi family. They couldn't afford to offend her.

But Ye Jiao was bored of staying.

Little Ginseng didn't want to come in the first place. Now seeing that there was nothing else, she said to Granny Liu, "Granny Liu, let's leave the things and go back. I'm a bit worried about my husband."

Granny Liu immediately placed the things she was carrying on the table. The box wasn't big, and inside were zongzi candies wrapped in bright red paper.

Ordinary families bring chickens and eggs when returning for a visit. The Qi family had packed candies for Ye Jiao, convenient to carry and showing their wealth.

Ye Erlang still wanted to say something, "Jiao'er, Bao'er didn't mean it just now. Don't take it to heart..."

"Okay, I forgive him." Ye Jiao's light words plugged up everything Ye Erlang wanted to say.

Ye Jiao truly didn't care.

She didn't recognize the Ye family at all. In her memories, they didn't even let Ye Jiao eat her fill of sweet potatoes. To Little Ginseng, she wanted to see Qi Yun more now. Her husband was the one who could truly let her eat and drink her fill, and would remember to bring her red bean cakes.

In some ways, Ye Jiao was a little demon who was very easy to satisfy.

Ye Erlang had nothing to say. He followed to the door and watched helplessly as Ye Jiao and the others left in the ox cart.

From the time she entered until she left, she didn't even finish a cup of tea.

Only after the ox cart Ye Jiao was riding in had gone far did Ye Erlang close the courtyard door, also shutting out the discussions from outside.

But when he returned to the room, he saw that the box on the table had already been opened by Ye Bao. The red paper inside was a mess, and Ye Bao was stuffing the candy into his mouth.

"Mom, didn't you say older sister wouldn't come back after being sold?"

Ye Bao didn't see Ye Erlang enter the room. His voice was a bit muffled with the candy in his mouth.

He had never feared Ye Jiao. When Ye Jiao was at home before, Ye Bao would always snatch things from her bowl to eat. Moreover, Ye Erlang's wife was always badmouthing Ye Jiao behind her back. Ye Bao was a child and naturally imitated her.

But times had changed. Ye Jiao had secured her position as the Qi family's second daughter-in-law. A small family like theirs couldn't afford to offend her. Words like this absolutely could not be said!

This time, even if Ye Erlang's wife wanted to cover his mouth, it was too late. Ye Erlang's eyes widened and he took two quick steps, grabbing Ye Bao by the collar and staring at him, "Who told you this!"

Ye Bao was scared silly. Ye Erlang's wife shuddered.

Actually, she had thought more than once that with Ye Jiao's good looks, selling her to the city to be a concubine for those rich merchants would be better than marrying her off to a farmer with a dowry.

Some words can't be said in the open, but in private, Ye Erlang's wife had been happy more than once that she had finally cleared out the freeloader and even got a large sum of silver.

Could it be that the little words she had secretly said behind people's backs had been learned by Ye Bao?

But Ye Bao didn't look at her. With the candy in his mouth, he shrank his neck, "I heard it outside..."

Before he could finish, Ye Erlang angrily went to get a broom and raised it to beat him.

Ye Bao immediately cried out in fright. His hand shook and the candy paper he was holding was torn open, scattering the zongzi candies all over the floor.

But Ye Erlang didn't feel the slightest distress.

He was Ye Jiao's own brother. Even though he wasn't as capable as Ye Dalang, Ye Erlang had watched Ye Jiao grow up all the way.

He knew his wife was domineering, but they had Ye Bao. Ye Erlang treated his son like a treasure and also indulged his wife. He more or less knew that Ye Jiao had suffered before, but each time he would advise Ye Jiao to yield a bit more. Gradually, Ye Jiao stopped saying anything, and Ye Erlang also pretended nothing had happened.

People are often like this. In order to appease their own conscience, they are best at putting on a false appearance of peace.

When Ye Jiao and Qi Yun's marriage was decided, Ye Erlang kept telling himself that he was sending Ye Jiao off to enjoy blessings. The Qi family was a famously wealthy household within a ten-mile radius, and it was a proper marriage. No matter what, she wouldn't live poorly.

When Ye Jiao returned just now, her wealthy appearance made Ye Erlang feel he hadn't done wrong.

But now Ye Bao's words directly tore off the fig leaf.

They had sold Ye Jiao.

No matter how he comforted himself, he couldn't deny this fact.

Ye Erlang was so angry his eyes turned red. This look even scared Ye Erlang's wife, but she was originally a domineering person, protective and petty. Seeing Ye Erlang about to hit the child, she immediately ran over and hugged the frightened Ye Bao, wailing at Ye Erlang, "If you want to hit him, kill me first! This is my precious baby, my life. Just try and touch him!"

This wasn't the first time Ye Erlang heard these words. Whenever he wanted to discipline his son, Ye Erlang's wife would use these words to stop him.

Ye Erlang was clumsy with words, a belly full of things to say but unable to get them out.

After holding it in for a long time, he only squeezed out a sentence, "This child is out of line. If we don't discipline him, he'll really grow up crooked in the future. Big brother used to say that boys can't be spoiled, you..."

"Big brother, big brother, you only know your big brother. Your big brother doesn't even care about us anymore!" Ye Erlang's wife shouted again, hugging Ye Bao and retreating, unyielding.

Ye Erlang felt stifled. Thinking of his big brother whose life or death was unknown, and his little sister who almost broke off relations with him, Ye Erlang threw down the broom in his hand, closed his eyes and sat on the chair, looking tired and dispirited.

In his ears, Ye Bao's cries still seemed to pierce through the roof, stabbing painfully.

Ye Erlang's wife secretly used her hand to gather up the scattered zongzi candies on the floor. Seeing Ye Erlang not moving, she snorted coldly and carried Ye Bao to the inner room.

Ye Jiao, who had already left, knew nothing of the commotion at the Ye family. She sat in the ox cart, eyes looking outside.

Seeing the Qi family's herb garden in the distance, Ye Jiao blinked and turned to Xiao Su, "I'm a bit hungry."

Hearing this, Xiao Su immediately reached for the small basket she was carrying.

But it was empty inside. The red bean cakes inside had all been eaten by Ye Jiao, who shared them with the others on the way here.

Granny Liu lifted the curtain to look outside. Seeing the Qi family's herb garden in the distance, she smiled at Ye Jiao, "This place isn't far from the herb garden. Why doesn't the young mistress go there to rest her feet?"

"Okay." This was what Ye Jiao intended anyway. Hearing this, she immediately nodded.

After getting off the cart, Granny Liu asked, "What does the young mistress want to eat? I'll go have someone prepare it."

Ye Jiao blinked and said with a smile, "Egg custard."

Egg custard wasn't anything rare. Granny Liu got off the cart first and quickly walked to the back of the courtyard where there was a small kitchen. Making egg custard would be very fast.

Ye Jiao and Xiao Su went to the front hall to rest. Xiao Su was young and walked with a bounce in her step. She opened her eyes wide and looked at Ye Jiao, "Young mistress, can you share a bite of the egg custard with me?"

"Sure." At this moment, Ye Jiao's eyes were looking left and right at the medicinal herbs drying on both sides. Hearing this, she nodded very casually.

She didn't come here to eat in the first place, so she agreed very readily.

Xiao Su grinned, thinking that although the second young master usually looked scary enough to frighten someone to death, the second young mistress had a very good temper. Didn't this count as complementing each other?

But after sitting in the front hall for a while, Ye Jiao stood up and went to the garden outside. Xiao Su hurriedly bounced up to follow.

She came here to see if the medicines in this life were any different from the previous life, and to look for any medicinal materials that could be useful for Qi Yun.

There were quite a few wooden racks in the garden with large bamboo trays on top for drying the medicinal materials.

Ye Jiao looked around and had an idea.

What reassured her was that the things here were the same as in her previous life. What made her uneasy was that many of the medicinal materials that could be used by Qi Yun were nowhere to be seen.

Now Qi Yun's body couldn't handle anything too strong. Wanting to find herbs to nourish his foundation, they also couldn't be too supplementary. The balance was not easy to grasp.

Qi Yun had a poor foundation. Over-supplementing would be a problem, under-supplementing would also be a problem. Ye Jiao circled around several times but didn't see anything that would be just right for his condition.

Just as she was feeling a bit disappointed, Ye Jiao suddenly smelled a strange fragrance.

This fragrance was very fresh and elegant. Especially in the courtyard heavy with the smell of medicinal herbs, this strange fragrance would be impossible to detect without careful discernment.

But Ye Jiao's eyes lit up. She looked around and finally saw a fragile vine at the base of the wall with tiny red flowers blooming on it.

Swaying in the wind, it was particularly charming.

Ye Jiao immediately walked over, squatted down, and leaned in to smell it, feeling that this scent was especially familiar.

But Ye Jiao remembered that it shouldn't be growing in the soil...

At this time, a voice came from behind her, "Second Young Mistress, lunch is ready."

Ye Jiao turned around and saw an unfamiliar middle-aged man. She stood up and asked, "Who are you?"

"I am the steward of this garden. Second Young Mistress can call me Steward Dong." Steward Dong smiled and cupped his hands at Ye Jiao, looking like an amiable person.

The herb garden and the medicine shop were one entity. The account books were to be sent to Qi Yun to manage.

Now it was Qi Yun's newly-wed wife who had come, and Granny Liu, who was valued by Madam Liu, was accompanying her. Steward Dong knew that this Second Young Mistress was favored, so naturally he wouldn't neglect her and came to receive her personally.

Ye Jiao also smiled, but didn't immediately return to the front hall. Instead, she pointed at that red flower and asked, "When did this start growing here?"

Steward Dong walked over, examined it for a moment, and said, "It looks like this should be a stone bud grass. Not very common, but also not much use. It was probably dug up by the medicine boys in the garden when they saw it and planted here, just to look at its brightness."

Ye Jiao immediately followed up, "Does it bloom in the coldest part of winter and grow in the cracks of rocks?"

Steward Dong nodded repeatedly, "Second Young Mistress is correct. It grows in rocks, otherwise it wouldn't be called stone bud grass. Second Young Mistress is truly knowledgeable."

Ye Jiao didn't have much reaction to this neither-heavy-nor-light flattery. She just stared at the stone bud grass.

In Ye Jiao's previous life, she had seen this kind of grass quite a bit. When winter came and all living things withered under the white snow, only these tiny red flowers would bloom in the deep mountains where human traces were rare, as if igniting specks of fire in the snow.

But when spring came the next year, the red flowers would wither. This made it seem like an ordinary wildflower.

However, if it grew next to a thousand-year-old ginseng and was nourished by it, then in the spring of the second year when the flowers withered, it would bear fruit. The fruit would be clear as snow, an invaluable good medicine.

Ordinary people who ate it would be nourished. Those on the verge of death who ate it would have their lives saved.

Little Fox called it the White Rainbow Fruit. The fox spirit's scholar lover was saved by the White Rainbow Fruit.

Ye Jiao lowered her head to look at the delicate little flower, the corner of her mouth revealing a smile.

What a coincidence. Am I not a thousand-year-old ginseng myself?

0