10. Manhandled by a Program
37 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The human’s most powerful ability isn’t its shrewdness or opposable thumbs, but the terrific capability to adapt to anything, even something as natural and primal as death itself.”

-Erwin Miller, 2213, Homo Sapiens: Our Predecessors


My eyes jolted with wakefulness, air feeling my lungs with manual breathing.

“Oh damn, I've never felt nostalgia for my own body before.” I clutched my chest. “I love you, boys.” And probably never showed affection for their respiratory system the way I did.

Unlike other Virtual Immersion systems, Project Tycoon removed all proprioception of your own body as I quite literally didn’t have one. I knew there were drones and sentries with senses you could take over, but I had the suspicion I would get access to them once I set my base of operations on a tycoon.

I checked my interface’s notifications, but there was nothing new besides a private message from Makoto saying: “Thanks for the meal <3”. The girls’ obsession with old-world emoticons was something worth of a study. Unfortunately – or rather, fortunately – I was no psychologist, though making a whole paper about their obsession with centuries-old tradition was a fun prospect.

“Fuck.” I swore as I stood from the bed. “Maybe Makoto was right. This feels very in the spectrum.” Though it felt very derogative classifying neurodivergence something that was common spite. “Should I take a test of some sort... Nah. I’m chilling.”

That was also a good way if Sandra was somehow sending info to the UHN because that was the type of statement that would instantly send an ambulance directly to your door.

“Okay, I need to make time for four hours and I don’t feel sleepy in the slightest. What are my options?”

“Would you like for me to offer you some options?” The room illuminated blue, and Sandra spoke.

“No, Sandra. It was a rhetorical question, and I was talking to myself.”

“I apologize for the confusion.” The Virtual Intelligence vanished after that.

“Three options: exploring the enclave, investigating early tycoon strategies, or...” I looked at my own hands, “See what other properties my biological ascension tier offers me.”

Immortality, after all, was only the entrant.

I opened my notifications and the QEF in parallel as I did my research. Influential-tier biological evolution was something else, from what I could check in the first searches. Every human could afford any evolution if they worked, a thing that – namely – many humans didn’t do. There was no need for work, after all.

The tiers in evolutions were limitless, even in the biological path alone. I wouldn’t have the resources to evolve again for a while, at least some years, so I focused myself on just seeing the properties of my current tier.

All biological evolutions work under the same principle, to substitute the previously specialized cells of the body for multipurpose and highly adaptable modified stem cells. Whilst body structure remains the same, these stem cells act as every organ at once, or at the bare minimum, have the capability to do so. Because the new cells have a longer lifespan and replication is virtually identical, the chances of cancerogenic growths have equally reduced to a virtually zero chance.

I didn’t know why I was reading the UHN-issued explanation of biological evolution, but knowing how the process worked scratched an itch in the back of my mind.

Influential-tier biological evolution takes the interconnection of the cells a step further. A common organic being’s cells have the capability to communicate with its neighbors, but high-tier evolution allow for this communication of being near-neuron level instead of primitive signals of communication. In other words, making the body into a hivemind driven by cells alone. Whilst the definition might not be off from a common pluricellular organism, it must be noted that it is quite different.

“Alright, I take back what I said, I’m getting bored.” I scrolled down with my retinas to the section where it listed the capabilities of ascension.

Most were boring or too simple. Everything could be reduced to enhanced something. Enhanced sight, enhanced strength, enhanced fertility, et cetera. The enhanced digestion was interesting, as it did lead to needing to poop and pee less as the body became more efficient in processing food and liquids. That was a worthwhile upgrade.

“Hmm… I should go to the bath…” I stood from the bed and stretched my limbs. “They did empty my whole body in the evolution process, but I ate a lot. Actually, I should shower too. Maybe even eat…”

The fact that I was a living organism and not a computer program dawned on me. Sometimes I forgot about it as I led a rather robotic life of my own volition.

“Sandra, could I get some protein-efficient food printed and water on my desk for when I finish showering?” I told my VI as I undressed, hanging my yukata in the closet.

“As an Influential, you have room service,” Sandra explained, blue lights illuminating the room, even the bathroom. I sat down on the toilet. “I must inform you too that you are hospitalized, so foods issued by the Terra Nova Enclave are free of charge.”

“Hospital food? No, thank you.” It was surprisingly easy going to the toilet with this new body, with no resistance whatsoever. “I’m more than fine with eating raw protein.”

“A balanced diet is the pillar of a healthy mind.” The Virtual Intelligence clearly read out from a script.

“A day or a month won’t kill me.” I looked at my sides, yet I couldn’t find toilet paper. “Sandra, where’s the toilet paper.”

In response to my question, my backside was assaulted by a pressurized stream of water. I won’t hide that an effeminate yelp escaped my mouth from the surprise.

“So it’s… one of those toilets.” I knew they were on limited resources here in space, but there were some tasks that no matter how many centuries passed by, humanity would keep to themselves. And wiping buttholes was pretty high on the list of ‘do not automate’. 

My bottom was assaulted multiple times by multiple streams of diverging temperatures before I could rest. Let’s say I… didn’t enjoy the intrusive process. And I had my insides scrambled barely a few hours ago.

I sighed and made my way to the shower. There weren’t shampoo bottles, but a single unified shampoo dispenser that had a 17-in-one aura. Now, my critique wasn’t that it was a 17-in-one, but that it could be a 34-in-one.

In five minutes, I was more than done. Grime had a lot of trouble sticking to my body as if the skin’s surface changed just so the dirt could wash off. Considering how evolved cells worked, that may be just true.

Fortunately, I wasn’t surprised by colossal driers the moment I made my way out of the shower. Most likely because they were anti-hygienic and would make more of a mess than fix it. I was free to dry myself with a towel at my own leisure.

Sure enough, a plate with a nutritional bar and a glass of water with me on the desk. How they got there, I had no idea. I could easily ask Sandra if she used arms or drones, but that would ruin the magic. Perhaps the plate and glass itself had wheels. Sometimes lacking knowledge made life more interesting.

I munched on the dry bar and took a few gulps of water. Taste was inconsequential, I only needed my nutrients. However, every time I told that to someone, they would shout at me. Whether it was the girls, teachers, AIs, Vis, or whatever else.

I focused on my hands as I munched on the bar, my interface on the side. I had a bit of time to read in the shower, but not enough to practice. No matter how much of a bad eye I gave to my extremity, there were no changes.

“You wouldn’t have any idea about shapeshifting, Sandra?” At a loss, I asked the virtual intelligence.

“Negative,” The dim blue lights flared for an instant. “I only possess basic UHN knowledge and that of your property. If you want me to resolve your question, I can connect to the QEF. Do you wish for me to connect to the Quantum Entanglement Forum?”

“No,” I denied taciturnly. “I’m already low on computes and intend to use all my remaining ones. I will manage myself.”

I found that most sites described shapeshifting as an instinctual process, that may or may not come easier to others. There were millions out there with shapeshifting capabilities, but finding tutorials out there was egregiously hard. Most treated the discipline like a martial art, offering courses that you obviously had to pay for. I didn’t imply that shapeshifting looked easy, the whole process of changing one’s body structure sounded horrifyingly complex, but there should be better ways for minimal changes like the body structure. Just like how Gloria had covered her fingernails with metal. The human body had some metal, so it wasn’t farfetched she could be able to laminate the surface of her nails with some organic alloy of sorts. Iron and copper really liked organic molecules after all.

The problem with scientific papers was that they were really awful to read, and having said so, whilst informative, they weren’t tutorials. I had more chances to find relevant information connecting to Parallel and find some random person who knows how to do it.

“May I suggest something to ease your current problems?” The VI butted in once I spent five straight minutes peering through the window.

“Sure, go for the throat.” Even then my eyes were locked into space. I tried relying on my proprioception rather than my sight to feel my body.

“The Terra Nova Enclave is the cradle for all humans on Alpha Centauri, you could try asking around the station for help.” For a moment I thought she was joking, but no, it was an honest suggestion. “After all, most humans choose the biological path, even if they do not possess the shapeshifting capabilities of your Influential tier.”

“Sandra, dear Sandra.” I sighed and facepalmed. “Your idea is not without its merits, but it has an unsurmountable negative.”

“Which may that be?” I felt true confusion ooze through the program’s voice.

“Socializing,” I responded as a matter of fact.

The lights of my quarters dimmed as if the virtual intelligence had shot down. It took a few very pregnant seconds for Sandra to talk back.

“I must inform you that humans are a social species.”

“Yes,” I nodded. “And I am socially awkward.”

This was the first time I heard a VI groan. 

“Lorem,” Straight for the name, huh? “You should get outside.”

“I have been outside a few hours ago, thank you very much.” I dived into my bed. “All my social battery is spent.”

“As your Virtual Intelligence Assistant, I am programmed to veil for your health and safety. Human contact will do good for both.”

“Not for me.” I countered, my legs paddling up to the ceiling.

The VI stopped talking and the lights dimmed, a sense of ominousness embracing the room. Then, a ringing sound.

“What are you doing, Sandra?” I stopped playing with my legs and lay normally.

“Calling your friends.” She stated neutrally.

“Stop! Stop!” I jumped out of bed, shouting and thrashing like a possessed person. “Don’t bring them here!” 

Whilst Makoto would be on my side, Mérida would not let me rest for days if Sandra brought her here. And considering how many things I had to do in my tycoon, I couldn’t afford to socialize.

“I will go out and ask people! Is that okay?” I said with my hands raised up as if I was being aimed at with guns.

“That would be a nice solution to your problem.” The room regained its lighting and the temperature rose. So she was manipulating the AC. Did I just get manhandled by a program?

As I was walking out of the room, a red light covered the whole instance. “What now?”

“Whilst your enthusiasm is admirable, I would recommend you first getting some clothes,” Sandra called out.

“Oh, right.” I had wholeheartedly forgotten that I was butt naked. “Yes, that would be good.” 

So in my research I've found really weird ways to generate energy that whilst useless in Earth, they may be optimal in space or hostile planets. I'll elaborate further in tycoon chapters.

0