Chapter 8
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, if we hadn’t gotten here until tomorrow, I would have been permanently transformed into a ghoul?” Stephen asked the high priest after the glowing aura around him faded.

“That’s right,” said the high priest absently. “Now, the rest of the donation will be delivered by the wizards you work with operating out of The Bloody Bugbear?” confirmed the hierophant.

“Absolutely,” agreed Stephen. “And thanks for the new left foot.”

“Blessed be, my son,” said the high priest without enthusiasm.

“We want to wipe out the ghoul den, perhaps some of your priests could come with us and help us with protective spells against undead?” said Stephen. Rurth and Blargh listened to the exchange with interest.

“Our order is focused on venerating Edos, god of health. We don’t run around ancient crypts hunting undead,” responded the priest, scandalized.

“It’s more of a mine than an ancient crypt,” said Stephen. “By wiping out a den, you’d be protecting the health of the surrounding community, surely that’s within the purview of Edos.

The hierophant looked at Stephen, unimpressed. “We’d donate a third of all treasure found, in appreciation of their assistance.”

“Ghouls aren’t know for accumulating treasure,” objected the high priest shrewdly.

“We could offer another 100 gold pieces, from my Numeracy book sales, in addition to the share of loot found,” counted Stephen.

“Perhaps a few of our lower ordered devotees could stamp out this source of ill health,” said the priest reluctantly.

“Five should be all we need, as long as they’re able to affect the undead. Particularly ghouls,” said Stephen.

“It shall be done, my son,” said the priest, waving his hand casually over Stephen, then departing.

***

“Ghouls aren’t known for accumulating much treasure, I don’t think you’ll get much interest from our members if you advertise with a share of found loot,” said the adventurer guild representative, sitting across from Stephen. Blargh and Rurth stood a small distance away in the consulting office.

“But there’d be the good reputation for the guild of protecting the region from the threat of ghouls, not to mention the increase in personal renown for any participating heroes,” objected Stephen.

“Yes, yes,” said the representative, arching his fingers contemplatively and gazing across the deck. “You’re welcome to post whatever offer you want, I just wouldn’t expect to get much traction with what you’re currently proposing.”

“I could offer the adventurers 100 gold, to be paid out from future book sales,” Stephen suggested.

“100 gold each or to be shared,” asked the representative.

“To be shared,” clarified Stephen.

“Hmm,” said the unimpressed representative. The two men looked at one another in silence for multiple heartbeats.

“If I may,” broke in Rurth nervously. Everyone looked at the apprentice. “Master Crawford has quite a bit of sway with the local wizards. They’re very interested in his Numeracy expertise and eager to acquire favor with him.”

“Yes, yes,” broke in the representative. “Future considerations and gratitude are all very well, but…”

Cutting him off, Rurth continued with more confidence. “I’m certain we could get some of the journeymen to offer enchantments for the adventurer’s weapons, before we embarked on the quest.”

“Enchantments before the job is done? Interesting. How long would these enchantments last?” asked the representative.

“I’m sure we could get permanent enchantments,” said Rurth.

The representative smiled. “I think you have a proposal that will be interesting to our guild members.”

***

Walking along the mine’s corridor, the five clerics had cast spells of divine light. At the front, three rogues scanned for traps, followed by five fighters with weapons drawn, ready to jump in front if an enemy appeared. The fighters’ drawn weapons glowed with the enchantments the journeymen wizards had placed on them.

Stephen, Rurth, and Blargh walked with the clerics, along with two battle mages who had joined them. They had been eager to talk to Stephen when they first met, but after conversations with him and seeing him cast a light spell using verbal and gesture aspects, along with a glowbug carcass, they had rolled their eyes at one another and become quite terse with the graduate student. Two fighters, also with weapons drawn, brought up the rear.

Stephen said, “As I said back in Hopedale, if anyone can capture one of the ghouls alive, I’ll give them my third share of the loot. Don’t risk yourself capturing one, but if you can manage it, I’m happy to pay.”

“What are you going to do with one of them?” asked Blargh. The two battle mages listened intently for his answer.

“Some wizards use undead creatures for foul magick,” cut in Rurth, nodding significantly at the mages. “You certainly aren’t going to do that.”

“No, no,” clarified Stephen. “Quite the opposite. My knowledge from DoD about monsters seems inaccurate. Surprisingly, few people have a clear understanding of even common creatures here. I’d like to study one of these ghouls, learn its weaknesses, and the best way to kill them.”

“If we want to have any chance of catching the creatures unaware, it might be best to stop talking so loudly,” gruffly suggested one of the fighters up front.

“Very good,” said Stephen, and shut up.

The group came to the intersection Stephen had previously passed. Moving up to the fighter who had called for silence earlier, Stephen whispered, “We went right here before, and a ghoul attacked us from behind. Two came at us from further down that corridor.” He gestured at the corridor to the right.

Speaking softly in the darkness, the fighter ordered one of the other fighters, “You stay with two fighters at the rear, two of the priests, and one of the battle mages. We’ll head down the right corridor and return if it branches. Start shouting if you’re attacked and we’ll rush back.”

“Um,” Stephen interrupted. “Aren’t I in charge? Shouldn’t I be the one deciding on our plan of attack?”

“Do you want to live?” asked the fighter, looking at Stephen.

“Well, yes, but…” began the former guild master wizard.

“Then do what I say,” ordered the veteran fighter.

“Should some of us stay with the rear guard?” asked Stephen.

“Do what you want, I don’t see the three of you having much impact here,” said the fighter frankly.

Following the veteran’s orders, the group moved down the right corridor, with the smaller group guarding their retreat. Stephen, Rurth, and Blargh trailed them.

“We should have gotten a map of the mine before we entered it,” suggested Rurth in a whisper to Stephen.

“Good idea,” whispered Stephen back to the apprentice.

“Shh” hissed the veteran fighter.

“I don’t think it’s fair of him to…” began Rurth.

“SHHH” hissed the fighter, more loudly.

Ahead of them in the darkness, they heard a growling. The rogues at the front slipped back behind the wall of fighters. The clerics moved forward a little bit to extend their divine light down the corridor.

Suddenly, three shapes flew out of the darkness. Perhaps in frustration at having lost their prey earlier, the three ghouls rushed at the group, hoping to prevent any from fleeing. As they entered the clerics’ light, Stephen noticed that their skin began to smoke slightly, like it had when they entered the sunlight previously.

The veteran fighter, and now defacto leader, loudly shouted, “They’re here, to us!” and waited in the front with the fighters, bracing for the ghouls’ charge. As the lead ghoul collided with him, mouth spread wide for a bite, he brought his shield up, braced himself, and knocked it backwards.

Two of the other fighters similarly engaged the other two ghouls. The fighters and rogues, who were unengaged, took the opportunity to stab at the ghouls around the defending fighters.

The ghouls, less sure of an easy victory, hissed and snarled and tried to back away into the darkness. As they attempted to retreat, the fighters followed them, not allowing the undead to disengage. The enchanted weapons of the second line kept darting out and wounding the creatures. As the ghouls turned and fled, one of the clerics chanted divine words and the three creatures frozen in place, each surrounded by a glimmering, golden aura.

“They are caught by Edos’ might,” said one of the other clerics, as the cleric who had captured them continued to chant. “Pick which one you want to restrain and dispatch the other two.”

The rear guard arrived at a run and were disappointed to have missed the engagement, taking up a defensive position in the corridor they had come down.

***

Standing outside the mine, Stephen exchanged pleasantries with the clerics and adventurers as they prepared to depart.

“Sorry there wasn’t more loot,” apologized Stephen. “You all were right, it was just some coins and trinkets spread around from their past victims.”

“The enchanted weapons were the main reward,” said the veteran fighter with a shrug. “We were relieved that there were only three of the foul creatures in the end.”

“We do expect that you will kill the final ghoul after studying it,” one of the clerics confirmed. “The undead aren’t to be trifled with, despite what some wizards believe.”

“I’m looking forward to executing the last one,” said Stephen. “They make my skin crawl.”

With a wave, the group said its final farewells and departed towards Hopedale. Blargh departed with them, taking a shopping list of supplies from Hopedale to return with. Rurth headed into the Ashburnum estate village for supplies that could be found locally. Stephen went back into the mine to keep watch on their imprisoned ghoul.

***

Stephen, Blargh, and Rurth looked through the bars at the battered ghoul. Wounds from the various damage they’d inflicted on it showed the outcome of the tests they’d run on the fiend.

The creature remained defiant, hissing at them constantly and lunging at them any time they got close to the bars. The remains of various animals and foodstuff littered the base of its cage. It hadn’t shown a taste for much beyond the flesh of sentient races.

“I wonder if we could get the apprentice and journeymen copying the notes of our experiments and selling them to adventurers at the guild?” suggested Stephen.

Rurth replied thoughtfully, “I’m not sure how many adventurers can read.”

Looking at the creature through the bars, Stephen said, “I thought once I’d been around it a while I’d lose my fear of it. I’ve seen tigers and bears at a zoo and felt perfectly safe with the animals being restrained. I had a tiger claw and bite at its window, trying to get at me, and it was the highlight of the day. Looking at this thing, I still feel a deep-rooted fear that is on the edge of overwhelming me. I want to run away or smash its head in.”

“That’s your brain trying to keep you alive,” said Blargh wryly. “When are we going to wrap this up?”

“You’re right,” said Stephen. “I think I’ve learned everything I can about it.”

The ghoul in the cage suddenly vanished, and Stephen felt a new card in his mind. Picking up his mirror, he cast ‘identify’ and examined himself in it.

Name: Stephen Crawford
Race: Human
Profession: Master wizard and Neophyte Dimensional Traveler

Cards:
dimensional travel
apprentice wizard
hopedale wizard’s guild
disruputable innkeeper
ashburnum estate water wheel
tortured ghoul

Wounds: 0 (capacity 7)

Focusing on the new card brought up its details.

image

 

“There’s a lot of information we determined that isn’t on the card,” observed Stephen as he described the new card to the two other men.

“Maybe it’s just a summary,” suggested Rurth.

“Yeah,” agreed Stephen.

***

“I do appreciate your clearing out the mine, but I’m afraid I’m still not comfortable letting you examine Starfire,” said Lord Ashburnum, looking over Stephen Crawford. “However, if you’ll make yourself more presentable, I’m having a dinner party in two weeks, and you may attend and regal us with the tale of your struggles in my mine.”

“I could tell you what happened right now,” suggested Stephen.

“No, no,” said Lord Ashburnum, holding up his hand. “I don’t want you to spoil the story for me. At the party.”

Stephen took a breath, then said, “There’s another way we could assist you. I’ve seen that your estate doesn’t have water wheels. If you let me use five of your laborers, I could teach them how to make a machine that grinds wheat without the need of wind. It harnesses the power of water by building it on a river. I already know the perfect site.”

“I will allow you to work on this scheme,” decided Lord Ashburnum. “AND you shall attend my dinner.”

***

Rurth, Stephen, and journeyman Wort examined Starfire after each had cast ‘identify’. They discussed the information each was getting about the weapon, considering in detail the differences. Blargh napped lightly in a nearby chair.

“Is this worth the time you’ve spent constructing the waterwheel a second time and entertaining my father’s, or rather Lord Ashburnum’s, dinner guests?” asked Rurth.

“And fighting a den of ghouls,” added Stephen. “I think so. It was worth letting you learn the ‘identify’ spell from Wort at the same time.”

“Master Crawford,” said journeyman Wort. “As I’ve previously said, ‘Wort’ is an unfortunate childhood nickname and I’d really prefer…”

“Studying the accounts of the metal it was forged with and how the blacksmith made it for your ancestor has been fascinating,” said Stephen, cutting Wort off. “Although it’s a minor magical item, in the grand scheme of things, no offense, I’ve really gotten more out of studying it than I expected.”

Starfire disappeared from existence and Stephen felt a new card in his mind.

“Master Crawford,” said Wort. “I’ve been wanting to ask you, now that Apprentice Rurth has learned ‘identify’, if I might take your leave in the morning and journey back to Hopedale. Unless there’s something else you need me for here.”

“That would be fine, Wort,” said Stephen, eliciting a pained expression from the journeyman.

“Will my father be angry at its absence?” asked Rurth.

“He won’t remember ever having owned it,” said Stephen. “I’m not sure if I should feel guilty about this. Is it theft if the person doesn’t remember owning it?” With a shrug, he picked up a mirror and examined the new card.

image

“What do you think the gray dot, arrow, and indigo dot mean?” asked Stephen to the two other men. After discussion and Rurth casting ‘identify’ as well, Stephen eventually tried directing red energy from the water wheel into the sword and found it energized the indigo energy, which he could then direct elsewhere.

“It seems like it lets me convert another color of energy into indigo,” mused Stephen. “If we’re done here, should we go visit the sacred grove next?” he asked Rurth.

Blargh snored gently in his chair.

0