Chapter 5 Shattered Future
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucy carried the disgruntled canine through the woods with a few birds perching on the branches, some small animals can be seen scurrying up to the trees to observe the duo.

In the far distance, Ash could see some smoke billowing up from something behind the curtain of trees.

That must be the place I saw before I crash-landed into this body. I'm going to trust you for the time being. I also want to walk on my own two feet. You could simply put me down. Sigh. Can you even understand what I'm saying?

A few mushrooms of various shapes and sizes can be seen here and there. Some have spots, some have stripes, and some are just plain white or red. The majority of them simply appear to be poisonous.

Butterflies flitted from flower to flower, flapping their wings with a beautiful glow, as if they were dancing in unison under the morning sun's rays. He could compare their performance to that of a kaleidoscope.

They're glowing, and what's with those tails? Identify!

Ash chose a butterfly at random from the group, and a rectangular translucent window appeared in front of him.

[Blue-tailed Rainbow Butterfly]

How about that funny-looking tree? Identify!

[Slumber Tree]

Woah! How about that one? Identify!

[Southern Barred Owl]

Arf! Arf! Arf!

Lucy adjust her hold on Ash as he eagerly wagged his tail just below her elbow with him almost falling off. If he did, she was afraid that he would run off and disappear behind the sea of trees, never to be seen again. She reined in her thoughts as she repositioned her arms.

Why are you so eager today? I thought you would come back to your usual moping self. Was it because we just got through an intense fight and was thirsting for more? Is this about those creatures? You've probably seen them a bunch of times. It’s like it was back then when we were still kids.

Lucy smiled as she reminisced.

Ash recalled that the original canine who owned this body was Lucy's pet named Ash. Which has now become his legal name. It was even "legalized" by the interface.

Now that I think about it, what was my name again? I recall being in my mid-twenties and already being an adult. After a long day at work, I went to bed without having eaten anything. Did that voice really come from god or at least someone who was in charge of souls?

The voice said that I wouldn’t need my memories, but he still left most of them behind. Hmmm.

After that, I woke up drifting from place to place as a spirit, witnessing various scenes and events. What in the world happened? I survived college without eating to save money in desperate days. Did I die without accomplishing anything substantial?

Ash then became gloomy thinking about his previous life. He was gazing mindlessly at the scenery like he was sitting at the passenger seat looking through a window of a running car.

The car noticed this change and immediately brought him up to her eye level, gently lifting him by under his arms and saying, “Ash, are you okay!? Did I hurt you? Was I too strong?”

From a worried face to a cheerful look, she blurted out, “Oh, it’s the normal you. Great to have you back!”

Shut up! What would you know about me?

Arf! Awooo?

Lucy laughed her lungs out as she carried him properly this time. Ash was still feeling complicated. Calling out his interface in front of him for emotional support.

Sigh, at least I have this one. This means that I crash lande—got transmigrated into another world with this thing.

Ash was still depressed but slowly cheered himself up as he thought of the future.

Now that I’m a wolf, I will have a different path of advancement. That means my first goal would be to become strong and become an Alpha in a pack. I’ll become strong if I rule this forest!

Ash then created a potential image of himself. A gallant white wolf with muscular arms and striking gray eyes. He was surrounded by thousands of grizzly bears but didn’t cower! He fought them all! With his unstoppable onslaught, he defeated all his foes and leveled up to become the Guardian of the Forest.

Heh.

Lucy didn’t notice the change in Ash’s stupid-looking face as he was basked in his imaginary exploits.

As they were about to continue walking towards the town, something stopped them in their tracks.

Whoosh!

Lucy immediately jumped backwards carrying Ash who quickly grabbed on her arm for his dear life.

Thud!

An arrow came out of nowhere and impaled the ground as Lucy quickly lunged forward and retrieved it. With an inhumane speed, Ash's vision quickly went back and forth as she returned the projectile from whence it came.

Whoosh!

“Aaahh! Ugh!"

Thud!

“Hey! You’re trying to kill me!”

An adult male voice came out from one of the branches on top of the trees and fell followed by a wooden bow who he caught on time.

"Phew!" The unknown man sigh in relief

When Ash recollected himself, he saw a six-foot-tall man in his mid-thirties with a darker complexion, black hair put into a bun, and a little goatee that lengthened his chin.

He donned a reddish-yellow tunic under his green hooded cloak with the same colors as the tree tops, black leather leggings, and bare feet.

He wasn't very attractive, but Ash could tell that this man was ripe for the plucking by young women who want to date mature men.

As he stood up, he made sure to search the bow for scratches before sending a knowing smirk at Lucy.

He was like an Asian Robin Hood in Ash’s perspective but he couldn’t deny that they were almost killed by the man.

Hey! What did you do that for!? Are you trying to get us killed!?

Arf! Arf! Arf!

Lucy, still in the throwing stance, retracted her body and held Ash with both arms. With a cheery tone she greeted, “Good morning to you too, Uncle Bert.”

I’m warning you! We just defeated a giant bear!—wait…Uncle?

Woof! Woof! Woo—Arf!?

“Well someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Good morning to you too, Lucy. You should hurry. I think Martha will return anytime soon.”

Bert said as he finally retrieved the arrow from the tree branch behind his hiding spot and fixed it inside his quiver.

“She's back!? Thanks Uncle Bert! Happy hunting!”

The two concluded their exchange as Bert nodded and returned to the top waiting for a prey and Lucy getting excited as she continued her walk, but a little faster this time.

Meanwhile, Ash was still shocked by how easy they almost killed each other.

What the f- did I just witness? Is it normal to greet other people by shooting arrows first thing in the morning? What if you got hit and die!? This world is messed up!

Ash thought as he glanced up behind him and continued thinking, How does a girl like her own a white wolf anyway? Ash contemplated as his pupils shifted towards the young woman, only to see Lucy’ face noticing him, so she smiled in return.

Ash kept looking at her for a few seconds before looking away and continued thinking, It’s unknown whether I could become a legendary wise beast of the forest or become a bipedal beast-man in the future. If I level up as fast as possible in this world, then would I be able to detach myself from her someday? he pondered.

With the memories from his past life and this world’s magic and endless possibilities, he surmised anything was possible. As long as he could grow older, stronger, and wiser, maybe he could achieve anything.

He just hopes that he won't be hunted down for his experience points like what he felt with that bear.

Ash could already tell that this was not a normal planet. He wasn't sure if he was the only one who could see the interface, or if it was even called that name.

I'm just going to call it an interface. I need to take care of my survival and devise a few possible solutions for independence.

First and foremost, I need to learn more about this world. Being a canine does not allow me to borrow books when I need them. Especially wolves that are known to be carnivorous.

Listening to the neighbors or waiting for this girl to speak endlessly at me would be my best bet. I only hope I can figure out what world this is, which part I ended up in, and what the date is. Sigh. It would be fantastic if I could obtain books or newspapers, but I’m not sure if I can read yet.

The second would be to get myself stronger. With the interface, my growth would be quick and easy. The problem is my hunting ground. It would be very hard to find one that suits my level, especially every time I grow. I don’t know when quests or missions will be triggered. So far, it has appeared as a result of that bear's threat to my life.

What if I'm asked to do something like fetching a stick? Is it considered a mission or a quest being generated?

Finally, the biggest problem would be my identity. Would Lucy find out one day that I was no longer her Ash and was already someone else? I’m sorry, Ash. I almost left Lucy earlier with the Grizzly Bear. But hey! I came back, didn't I? That was what we humans call a tactical retreat or being resourceful with the terrain. I definitely have not fled in fright!

Ash reined in his thoughts as a few of the tallest buildings in the distance were poking their tips over the treetops for Ash to see but his eyes. were drawn towards the glistening river that was revealed in front of him as they got out from the dense part of the forest.

Water!

Arf!

This was the source of what Ash heard earlier. It would have been safer for him to run this way, but because of the previous incident, Ash now knew Lucy could be trusted.

From edge to edge, the river bank is only three meters wide. The water is so clean that the rocks beneath it can be seen. When combined with the faint sound of water rushing, it creates a tranquil ambiance, ideal for relaxation.

Ash glanced at the river and thought, I've never drank river water before. Is it even safe?

Lucy caught sight of Ash staring intently at the river, with his tongue bobbing up and down.

"Do you want to drink?"

‘Yes!’

“Arf!”

She gently released Ash down to the ground but before he could escape and run away, Lucy flinched for a split second stopping Ash in his tracks.

“Aw! Hiss."

She sucked a breath of cold air while glancing below her and saw her darkened. Right, this was from being hit by that branch earlier, she thought.

Ash immediately scolded her by saying, You were carrying me with that injury? You shouldn’t even be walking! I’ll walk by myself now.

Arf! Arf! Arf!

“Haha! Thanks, Ash, but don’t worry. I’m fine," she insisted.

But Ash didn’t stop there and performed some comical movements like pointing to himself and walking in place while hopping to another area and before pointing pointing at Lucy with his snout and then walking weirdly.

Lucy was smiling as she attempted to decipher what he wanted to say and asked, “You want to walk by yourself and not be carried around?”

The canine froze in the middle of his performance and his eyes widened.

She easily got that? She must be good with charades!

He stopped everything and nodded before facing Lucy.

Yes!

Arf!

“Ash, I’m fine. Don’t worry! This will heal by tomorrow. I’m strong, you know!"

But suddenly she squinted her eyes and furrowed her brows while saying, “That’s weird, it’s like we're talking to each other.”

Ash immediately stopped what he was doing, wagged his tail behind him and pulled his tongue out like, I don't know what you’re talking about Lucy, I’m just a dumb wolf cub.

"..."

Facing her intense gaze, Ash's beating heart quickened and he felt like he was sweating bullets.

“Nah! There’s no way. You’re smart, but not that smart. What was I thinking?”

Hey! That's too much! I was the lead strategist in that fight!

“Arf! Arf! Arf!”

Lucy laughed as she limped towards the river and started washing her face.

Phew, that took a while.

Ash released a breath of relief as he followed Lucy and lifted his paws to scoop some water, only to land face-first on the rocky ground.

Oof!

Right. I have paws now. This is going to take too long for me to adjust to this new lifestyle.

Lucy giggled as she saw Ash lift himself up to shake off the pain.

Brrr! I need to remember I’m no longer in my human body. Ash leaned his head in front of him to drink some crystal clear river water, but his gaze was caught by his reflection.

The river clear but with the right angle, it works like a mirror.

A small white canine was looking directly back at him. It has big ears on the sides of the top of its head and wigged and propped themselves up.

Ash tilted his head to one side, but the Corgi in the river mimicked his movement; this went on for a while as Lucy was almost done washing her face.

Ash looked at his reflection again and realized that he, in fact, was not a wolf cub or even a fox, but a small type of dog from his previous life called…

I'm a Corgi!?

The sound of a glass shattering reverberated inside Ash’s mind as the illusory figure of a muscular and majestic guardian wolf broke into several pieces and disappeared into the abyss.

The small dog stared at his reflection for another second before slowly falling unconscious with gravity pulling him over into the river.

Splash!

Blub! Blub!

“Ash!” Lucy was late to react as she frantically scrambled to save him.

1