Chapter 7 Updated Interface
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You should’ve died.”

Click.

The door snapped shut, leaving Ash alone to contemplate.

His eyes were still closed, but he was shaken to his very core. Ash was by himself in the room. A flurry of unwanted thoughts and speculations devastated through his mind.

What did she just say? Did she just say that I shouldn’t be alive? No way, right? Who are you kidding, Ash? She just said that I shouldn’t be here on this world, living and breathing this air. I should just come back to where I came from!

Maybe she’s the one who left Ash in the middle of the woods! That would explain why she knew I was supposed to be dead. She left the poor dog there to die!

No, no, no. Calm down. Breath in. Breath out. Phew. There’s no way she would know. Even if she has [Identify], which is highly unlikely, my name should display as Ash, which was Lucy’s dog.

Well, I'm not exactly her "dog,” but, hell! You get the point! Ash wiped off a cold sweat as he gathered his courage.

Ash lifted his eyelids, then quickly closed them again. After a short while, he sensed no movement and slightly opened his eyes again. His pupils swept through his point of view and found no one as he released a silent sigh.

All clear.

Ash lifted his body up and stood on all fours. He was now a Corgi, with a furry tail lightly wagging behind him. Despite his annoyance about being forced into one, he was both excited and apprehensive about being in another world.

As it was now around seven in the morning, the sun just had the right amount of angle to shed some light into the room.

He was inside a three-by-four-meter cozy bedroom with a welcoming atmosphere.

Rumble…

Tsk, I wonder why I'm not thirsty anymore, but now I'm hungry. I haven't eaten anything since I got here. I need food.

Ash thought and remembered something and thought, Is Lucy okay? Where did she go?

Underneath, Ash discovered folded-up blankets that had been improvised into a bed suited for his width. To his left stood a wooden bed with a mattress that, when combined, was twice his height.

It's weird that everything appears to be so big. I guess I better get used to this height now.

A window next to the bed provided just enough light to illuminate the room. The faded pink wallpaper indicated that this house, or at least this room, had seen its fair share of change with time. Ash concluded that this was Lucy's room.

Because the bed was already at eye level, Ash could peek underneath and spot an old wooden training sword. It has a few cracks, dents, and slash marks.

Lucy is a warrior, then. Wait, if I remember correctly, she did not have a class, or maybe I just missed it. Perhaps she is on her way to receiving one. If a class could be acquired, the clue should be with the woman she referred to as her "teacher."

So that means this teacher's a true warrior, or perhaps a knight? I still can't tell. If Lucy's fighting and dodging abilities are merely the tip of the iceberg, how superb is her swordsmanship that she can anticipate that beast's attack pattern and respond effectively?

Let me see my stats again. Interface!

Woof!

*~Chime!~*

_____________________

Name: Ash

Title: None

Level: 14 Exp 929 / 5,000

Health: 9/30 (Weakened)

Mana: 0/0

Strength 2 (Weakened)

Dexterity 4 (Weakened)

Agility 3 (Weakened)

Intelligence 32

Endurance 3 (Weakened)

Perception 14

Charisma 9

Unassigned Stats: 39

Life Form: Canine [???]

Skills: [Bite], [Intimidate], [Incapacitate], [Haste], [Track], [Rage], [Misdirect]

Items: -none-

Friends: [Lucy Austin]

Credits: 250

Remarks: You can barely kill anything bigger than your size. (You got lucky last time.)

_____________________

So that’s why I was already level thirteen. The original Ash should’ve been leveling like crazy. How did it reach level thirteen anyway?

Nice, leveled up after I completed that quest.

Hmmm, don’t worry, Ash. From one Ash to another, I’ll continue living in your stead. Wherever your spirit is right now, rest in peace.

Ash closed his eyes and offered a prayer internally.

May he find a beautiful place in doggy... heaven? Wait, I’m a wolf cub—no, the dog now. Is there a chance that the dog and I swapped bodies?

Gasp!

No way, right?

What the real Ash would do to his room in his absence was beyond his comprehension. With the incognito tab, there would be no way his browser history would be exposed. That just leaves his collection of limited-edition action figures and stash of "the stuff."

I hope he just doesn't break any of them.

After a moment of inner turmoil, he then gave his interface another glance and thought, I just got to level 14, with no class. I think I can gain experience points through two methods. The first maybe is to kill monsters or other living creatures that I can beat or complete quests like the one from that bear. I can get quest windows like that if I find any dangerous encounters out there, but I doubt they'll let a dog like me partake in an adventure. Let alone obtain a class.

He closed the interface with his thoughts as he started to pay attention and assess where to find some food.

Now.

Arf.

Ash started moving around, taking in the surroundings. He tried to jump over the bed, but his height and newly acquired, clumsy limbs kept him from doing so. He bumped his head on the bed, sending him rolling on the hard hardwood floor. His claws weren't fast enough to get a grip.

Thud. Tumble..

Ouch, that hurts. I think I broke a bone. I think I used too much force on my front legs. Again!

Brrr!

Ash shook his head as he stood back up again, and on all fours, his gaze focused on his aim with renewed vigor. Behind him, his tail wagged faster this time as he applied more strength to his hind legs.

Hup!

Success-wait! No!

Ash has made it to the top side of the bed, but his lower body remains dangling midair, while his upper body is only halfway through.

Pull!

He was like a swimmer above the ground. As his hind legs did a series of kicks, Ash ultimately made it over the bed.

Pwuah! Safe!

Learning to control a new body isn’t that easy. Ash knew he needed more time to adapt to change.

Ash moved closer to the window, leaning over the sill to get a better view of what the outside looked like.

Whoosh!

A fresh wind met him as there were fewer trees outside, indicating that he was no longer deep inside the forest.

A cluster of residences can be seen a few hundred meters away behind an unfinished stone wall. He saw multiple figures moving about, stacking stones and cementing them in place. It was slow, but an honest process.

There’s already cement in this place? Why do Lucy and her teacher live in the outer part of the walls? Are we poor?

Sniff-Sniff

Ash could already smell roasting meat with the wind from the location. He could also detect a faint scent of spices mixed in, which caused him to salivate even more.

Rumble…

Ash took a deep breath and sighed, I'm really hungry! I can smell bread and meat! The others are just smoke, but there’s bread! Nice! This town is looking more and more enticing to live in. But what is this tingling sensation I’m feeling?

Creak...

His ears perked up as he glanced to the side. He could see the door was slightly opened, exposing the room behind it.

Having a dog's ears has its perks too, huh? I thought that it was closed. I must have misheard it. That woman didn't slam it like Lucy did.

The small dog hopped off the bed, carried his four legs to the door, and opened it slightly with a push of his snoot.

Creak.

Now he was standing on all fours as he gazed around the living room, which was combined with the dining room, which was closer to the door leading to the kitchen.

Not that he was out; the faint sound hat he caught earlier was revealed to be an intermittent splashing of water from far behind the kitchen.

Is that the river? Was this house close to the river earlier?

Ash was intrigued by the idea of a fresh water just behind his new home but suddenly remembered where he was now.

Grrr. I even thought that I was lucky that I started as a wolf cub, but instead, I got a Corgi. I want to berate that voice for making a mistake! Why did he put me in this body anyway?

Ash thought as he decided to confirm if there was a river behind the house to entertain himself and forget his dilemma. He entered a neat room with cabinets mounted on walls, pots and pans being hung on nails, and drawers that he deduced contained kitchen utensils. It was a bright and airy kitchen with plenty of natural light, but he ignored all of that.

Ash could see the back door was open as a path of light illuminated the way towards the door. Ash slowly approached the opening and peeked through the tight slip.

There was a river in their backyard, which was a good thing for Ash, but his eyes were stuck on the head sticking out above the surface of the river.

The woman continued scrubbing some parts while making sure her body stayed below the river. She was rambling something as her pink lips twisted in annoyance with some head tilts and some sarcastic gestures.

“Nye, nye, nye. You’re not allowed to do this. You’re not allowed to do that. I’m tired of her always telling me what to do! I’m already fifteen years old, for goddess’ sake! Why can’t she just shut her damn mouth?”

She stopped as she noticed Ash peering through the back door raised her hand high up in the air waving at him.

“Hey Ash! Good morning!”

Ash's thoughts quickly halted when an unknown young woman with blonde hair greeted him. He immediately jumped a step back and landed in a lowered stance. His ears perked up as he maintained his gaze.

Who is she? How did she know my name?

Ash deliberated as he kept his gaze at the young woman has shoulder-length blonde hair, bright blue eyes, and vibrant, clean skin. Her face was a little flushed for reasons unknown, highlighting her young age as her lower body was submerged below the surface of the river water that was reflecting the reflection of the morning sky. She gazed intently into the startled doggo’s eye, then smiled ever so slightly.

What who is that!? Is there another person living here? Is that Lucy’s mother? No, she looks too young. Her sister? No, she's too beautiful. No offense, Lucy, wherever you are right now.

Ash racked his brain for an explanation but couldn’t find any.

Wait, that voice sounds familiar.

Ash squinted his eyes as the young woman continued.

“Come on, Ash! Don’t be such a pervert! Besides, the water’s fine! You can just take a bath again.”

Strangely, Ash didn’t feel anything seeing Lucy's head staring at him. He just didn't know it yet.

With his eyes focused on her, he used "Identify."

_____________________
Lucy Austin
Level 18 Human
Health: 140/140
_____________________

His pupils dilated as he screamed internally, It’s Lucy!? Why does she have blonde hair!? Was she really that dirty a few hours ago?

Ash was about to move forward out of curiosity, but a familiar woman’s voice stopped him in his tracks.

“Hey.”

He turned his gaze behind him and found someone’s bare feet. The nails were properly trimmed, and the skin looked strong and smooth.

When he lifted his gaze, he found a pair of eyes with brown and black pupils staring straight at him.

With his eyes widening, Ash slowly turned his head back to the front and made a beeline on his way back to the living room, like nothing ever happened. Unfortunately, he was lifted off the ground.

He immediately tried and struggled to get away, but he was quickly carried up.

I did not see anything! I swear I didn’t peek on purpose! Please believe me!

The woman raised a brow as she scrutinized Ash’s fur and said, “Lucy, I’ll take him to Dr. Kolver for a visit. I think there's something wrong with this dog's head. I’ll be right back, and I’ll bring breakfast.”

She was about to turn around when a sound of footsteps drew near.

Lucy appeared with an angry look as her blue pupils bounced up and down between the woman and Ash, whom she was carrying.

“What!? I already checked on him!”

Ash heard Lucy’s voice behind him as she hastily entered the house with a piece of cloth now wrapped around her body. Her hair was still dripping wet as she added, “Teacher, just leave him here. He needs more rest.”

“What? Are you a doctor?” The woman who was carrying Ash, replied before adding, “I told you not to show that hair color outside of this house.”

“So what!?” Lucy snapped back in reply as her brows furrowed and she went past the two with her steps a little heavier than normal.

Step. Step. Step.... Step. Step. Step.

After a split second, she came back to try and take Ash away, but he locked in place by the woman.

Lucy looked reluctant to surrender as she didn't want to hurt him, so with a polite tone, she reiterated, “Teacher, you can just leave him here. I already did a check on him.”

Martha didn’t buy it and walked towards the front door. Ash finally saw the entire room from a kid’s perspective and found it to be quite cozy.

Ash began to recognize the voice of the one who was carrying him—the woman Lucy had argued with earlier. So she’s Lucy’s teacher? Does she know how to use a sword? Or maybe a teacher for academics, Ash thought as he still struggled to break free, before stopping entirely and gazing at the room with a frown.

Yep, she’s teaching Lucy the sword, alright. There is no way this woman is an academic with her strength, or this body is just that weak.

“I told you he needed to see Dr. Kolver. Heh, he’ll come back in one piece. I assure you.”

Ash paused his struggle for a second and gazed completely at Luce before continuing.

Help Lucy! You heard it, right? She just laughed! An evil one! This woman is going to kill me!

Arf! Arf! Arf!

Ash was about to jump forward in an attempt to escape from the woman’s grasp, but Martha wouldn't let him.

“Fine, just be sure to return him home. Maybe he still has something wrong with him. He hasn't licked me all this time.”

Lucy blurted it out while going through her open bedroom.

Why would I even lick you!?

Slam!

“And I want pie,” she added behind her door.

Lucy save me! Noooo!

Arf! Awooo!

Ash was on his way out while being carried by Martha and was currently latching his claw on for dear life, making sure to keep his grip on the wooden front door, but suddenly, Lucy’s teacher added, “If you won’t let go, I’ll snap your body in half.”

Ash instantly stopped screaming his lungs out with his jaw still wide open. His eyes shifted to Martha as he slowly closed his mouth and retracted his claws, then positioned his legs in a fetal position.

It seems he loved his lower body very much that he couldn't live being separated from it.

1