Chapter 6 – Party
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Read up to chapter 18 on royal road.

The Heavens

His heart coursed with joy as waves of lightning qi, so pure that even wind qi was absent, rushed into his core. Though he had only stayed for a short time, he had grown attached to the room. Understandable, given how easy the room made cultivation.

Their stay in Varaga had come to an end when the Chief, after an hour of meeting with his elders, sent word of his acceptance to them. Lisa had been so eager to leave that she spent less than a minute meeting with the chief to offer him thanks before excusing herself and teleporting them back to the border under the pretence of urgent work.

He wondered amusedly what the chief would think if he realised that her ‘urgent work’ was simply cultivation. The again, he supposed he was just as eager to leave the village as she was.

He’d spent less than two weeks in Lasvania and already couldn’t imagine having to live anywhere else.

A light flickered briefly at the edge of his vision, a prompt he mentally accepted. A realistic three-dimensional rendition of Lisa appeared in front of him. Oh, the wonders of Lasvanian technology.

“I’m going to send some clothes to your room,” she said. “Put them on and get ready quickly. We're going to a party in a few minutes. I’ll tell you more when we get downstairs.”

“A party?” he asked, confused. “Why are we going to a party.”

“I’ll tell you when you get downstairs. Just change and come downstairs quickly.”

The projection disappeared after that, leaving him alone in the room with a small pile of clothes. He frowned at that. He hadn’t even noticed when the clothes came in and he’d had his senses spread out to monitor the qi in the room even before the call. He was sure there was no fluctuation of space qi in the room.

He shrugged it off as something he was too weak to understand. He’d experienced enough of them to know that there was no point trying to comprehend any of it.

He stood up from his cultivation and went to pick up the clothes. It was a set of white robes, similar to his own but of much higher quality. He could feel just how powerful its enchantments were and though his current robes had sentimental value, his was seriously tempted to change them.

He went to the bathroom to take a quick bath. His body didn’t excrete any kind of fluids, of course, and he could simply use water qi to wash away any kind of external dirt on him.

Yet it was a habit he’d developed from his early days in the sect, when the thought of bathing everyday was still a novelty for him. Besides, it gave him a little more time to cultivate in the pure lightning qi. And to him, every second of cultivation mattered.

His bath was unfortunately, shorter than he would have liked but Lisa’s insistence on urgency forced him to cut it short. He wasn’t about to offend her over something as small as a longer bath.

He quickly put on the robes and formed a mirror out of light qi to check out how he looked. He wasn’t generally concerned about how he looked, but being a Neophyte and a non-citizen already meant he was going to be very disadvantages in any gathering. He had to take any advantage he could get.

The robes, though superficially similar to his old one, has some differences. There were less folds and more flowing lines on this one. He tied his hair in a ponytail and held it in place with a hair clamp he was certain he could not afford, given the power he felt coming off it. He wore a pair of black shoes that were in a style he was unfamiliar with. He’d much rather have worn his sandals.

Feeling properly dressed, he went downstairs, where Lisa stood waiting with a small frown on her face. She wore a silver dress that would likely be an inner garment on Xenus. It was sleeveless and reached her knees, though she had a silver scarf wrapped lightly around her shoulders. It also gleamed lightly like his own and looked particularly fitting against the haze of silver concentrated on her.

“Took you long enough,” she said. “The party has already started.”

“My sincerest apologies, Lisa. I was taking a bath.”

She shook her head and gestured for him to come closer, then started channelling qi into complex patterns, some of which he recognised as the patterns he’d seen on her spatial transfer techniques. She finished channelling the qi after a few seconds, then a portal formed in the air beyond them.

She stretched out her hand in his direction and it took him a few seconds of confusion for him to realise what she wanted. He took her arm in his, stiffening as she leaned against him.

“Relax,” she said, noticing his stiff muscles. “I’m not going to eat you, you know. You’re my shield against clingy people. Most people won’t approach me if I’m with you. Oh, and your suit’s enchanted with privacy and protective formations to stop people from getting your cultivation level. It’ll also make sure you don’t die when you hear a High Cultivator speak.”

That caught his attention. “High cultivator? If I may ask, Lisa, where exactly are we going. You said you'll tell me when I got downstairs. I'd like to go in with at least some knowledge of what I’m heading to.”

“Well, aunty Elize wanted this to be a surprise, but I guess it’ll be kind of cruel not to tell you about it,” she shrugged. "The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is holding a party to celebrate the successful integration of twenty major villages in the Outlands, nearly a fifth of the non-Confederate population. It also doubles as a welcoming party for the first Ascendant in over a millennium. The High Minister will be attending in person.”

Oh.

“So, they’re throwing a party for me. A party where the boss of the most powerful person I’ve ever met will be present. I do not want to seem rude, but not telling me was cruel of the director. Gratitude, Lisa. Going in uninformed would have been disastrous.”

“Oh relax,“ she rolled her eyes. “It’s just a party. No one’s going to do anything to you. Just stay close to me and you’ll be fine.”

“My sincerest thanks again. You’ve done a great deal for me since I got here.” He winced internally the moment the words left his mouth. Excessive gratitude didn’t go down well with her. It was also unlike him. He guessed the power difference between made him resort to mannerisms he hadn’t used since he was a child. It seemed his master’s etiquette lessons were more effective than he realised.

She thankfully didn’t comment on his excessiveness. She just gave him a stern look that conveyed her thoughts well and pulled him through the portal.

The venue for the party was the national event hall in Cliver, the nation’s capital. It was halfway across the country from where Lisa lived, which was a pocket dimension in the middle of nowhere at the southern edge of the country.

The hall, which was aptly named The Hall, was a multi-storey glass building that towered over everything in sight. It was shaped like a person dancing on their tiptoes and most definitely required a lot of formations to stay upright. His jaw nearly dropped when the person spin round in a dance. He'd seen a lot of bizarre buildings his life, but this was at the top of the list.

“If you’re done staring, We’re late for a party.” Lisa’s voice pulled him out of his gawking.

“It’s a fascinating building. I can’t begin to imagine the kind of formations needed to achieve it.”

“Oh, this is pretty tame. There are buildings that twist reality around them. I remember getting a headache when I stared at the Kh’Luthu. Don’t ask about the name. But don’t worry. I have a friend that’s an expert in these kinds of things. I’m sure she’ll love to bore you with the details.”

They reached the entrance to the building where Lisa tapped a small screen attached to the door. It beeped and called out their names before the door opened.

They stepped in to a posh wating room that could have been a king’s living room. The room was empty and there was no desk where a receptionist could have stood. He looked at Lisa with question in his eyes.

“What?” She sounded confused.

“I was expecting someone to receive us.”

“Why would someone receive us- oh,” she said, her eyes widening in recognition. “We haven’t had those kinds of odd jobs for a long time. Everything is automated. I thought this was in the orientation.”

“No, it wasn’t.”

It made sense, he guessed. Automation did seem more efficient.

They walked to the door leading out where another screen beeped the moment they got close.

‘Miss Lisa Feltham and Ascendant Xiao Lee. Proceed to the party on the tenth floor.’

The door opened and this time, they stepped into a world of colour and sound. They were in a large room that was packed with qi that he couldn’t identify, something he found strange. The room was brightly lit, though he couldn’t identify a visible light source. The words, ‘To a successful integration’ were written boldly on the walls. Beneath that, in slightly smaller letters, ‘Welcome Ascendant Xiao Lee’ displayed the second purpose of the party to the crowd.

If that wasn’t enough to remove thoughts of staying hidden from his mind, the sound of both his and Lisa’s names being blared across the hall by an automated voice truly dispelled the notion. He fought off a cringe but paused when the people started cheering.

He wasn’t sure whether they were cheering or him for Lisa, but it gave him a little hope as he walked towards the crowd with Lisa in hand.

A woman in a blue gown walked towards them with grace that defied reality and a smile on her face. He had to mentally remind himself that she was likely older than his ancestral line as she hugged them lightly. Not that it mattered much.

“Aunty Elize,” Lisa smiled as they disentangled. “You look amazing, of course. You’ve outdone yourself again.”

“Oh, this is nothing, Lisa, and you know it. The party we’ll throw when we finally integrate the entire Outlands is what you should watch for.”

“I hope you have invitations ready for us then.”

“Of course, I do,” she said, then turned to Lee. “If isn’t my favourite Ascendant. My, you look delicious. It really is a pity you’re a few millennia too young. I swear young people get all the nice things.”

“It’s nice to see you too, director Elize. I’m truly humbled by your hospitality,” he said stiffly.

“It's the least I could do you know. First ascendant in over a thousand years. You saved my job. I owe you for that.”

“It was nothing, director. Ascending to the heavens was always my goal.”

“I guess it was. I wouldn’t want to bore the both of you with old lady talk now. Go meet more people and socialise. I know many people would love to meet the Ascendant. The High Minister won’t be here for a while.”

“Of course, director Elize,“ he said. “Gratitude again for the party.”

He looked to Lisa, who shrugged and dragged him through the crowd, weaving through the press of bodies before she arrived at somewhere she deemed suitable.

They walked towards a dark-skinned woman with a loose black dress and deep green eyes. Eyes that brought up memories he’d rather forget. She looked like she’d much rather be anywhere else. The woman immediately brightened when she saw them.

“Lisa,” she said. “Thank Love you’re here. I just escaped Louisa and July. Turns out they’re both Gladiator geeks. Word of advice: don’t say Supra is a bad fighter, or even mention it at all around them.”

“Oh. That sounds bad,” Lisa said gravely. “At least Louisa has someone to disturb now. Maybe she’ll leave us alone.”

“You wish,” she scoffed, then turned to Lee with raised brows. “Ascendant Xiao Lee, I presume.”

“I was just about to introduce you two. Lee, meet Bornie Saurabh, daughter of High Senator Gal Saurabh. Bornie, meet Xiao Lee of Xenus, youngest Ascendant in history. Lee, this is who you go to for any academic questions. You can ask her about the engineering behind the building.”

“A pleasure to meet you, Miss Saurabh,” he said, resisting the urge to bow.

The fact that she was the daughter of a High Senator set off warning bells in his mind. He knew Lisa was highly placed and well connected but this was a different level. A High Senator was a step above even a High Minister.

In other words, she was so far above him on the social hierarchy that he might as well have been non-existent. It made him wonder just how highly placed Lisa truly was. Seeing her casually conversing with the daughter of a High Senator made him wonder what she was doing with someone like him.

He dropped that line of thinking and decided to focus on the party around him. No need to worry about things he couldn’t affect.

“The pleasure is mine Xiao Lee,” she returned. “It isn’t every day I get the chance to converse with someone from another realm. I have a lot of questions for you. If you don’t mind of course.”

“Of course not, Miss Saurabh. It is an honour to be of help to a scholar like yourself. I will endeavour to answer all your questions to the best of my ability.”

“Interesting,” she said, her brows furrowed in thought. “Formality and politeness must still be a big part of your culture in Xenus. The way you talk reminds me of the nobles in the Empire of Jahd. Though you seem to be making effort to be more informal.”

“Indeed, Miss Saurabh,” he answered cautiously. Her analysis was terrifyingly accurate. “The orientation and my interactions with Lisa have caused me to modify my speech to better suit Lasvanian standards. Though I admit I’m still lacking true skill.”

“Well, we can start from my name,” she said. “Just Bornie is fine. And you’re too tense. I understand you’re probably feeling pressure and out of your depth here, but you need to relax. Nobody is going to do anything. We don’t care much for formality and titles. Just focus on enjoying the experience.”

“Wow, Bornie,” Lisa butted in, brows raised in surprise, “When did you become an expert in human behaviour? Or have you been hiding the socialite in you from us all this while?”

“I’m far from an expert but I’ve been dabbling in social sciences and psychology for a while. I guess it's paying off already.”

“Well, that’s surprising. What happened to the focused scientist that was obsessed with only advanced qi theory.”

“She’s still here. She’s simply trying to follow some advice she’s been getting recently,” she said pointedly. “Something about ‘getting a life’, if I remember correctly.”

“Don’t look at me like that Bornie,” Lisa shot back with an eye roll. “I’m the last person that would tell you to get a life.”

“I guess you’re right. You have even less of a life than me after all. Now enough of that,” she said with a wave of her hand. “Back to you, Xiao Lee. You had some questions to ask me about buildings right. And relax, I’ll ask my questions later.”

It still felt a little strange, conversing with people far above his station as if they were peers. Though he was a Great Lord on Xenon, long past the point of having to truly bother with proper social conventions, he recalled his earlier years with clarity.

Reverence for one’s seniors was ingrained so deeply into his core that even here in Lasvania, where the conventions were so clearly different, he struggled to leave his old ways.

It irked him to no end.

Yet it was not insurmountable, he knew. It wasn’t the irresistible hunger for progress that pushed him to cultivate. Simply an ingrained habit. One that he would have to kill.

So, he made up his mind to do just that. Even as he pointedly ignored the part of his mind that pointed out that he wouldn’t have this problem if he simply surpassed them.

“I simply expressed awe at the architectural and construction prowess required to create a building as marvellous as this. And that was before I saw it move. That there are even more complex buildings out there is truly mind-boggling.”

“Oh, Lisa's right, you haven’t seen anything yet. The wonders of advanced qi engineering,” she said wistfully. “Well, a lot of work goes into creating such architecture. Mostly done by machines nowadays, with a human supervisor. The less complex ones need no human supervision at all.”

His eyes widened at that. That machines could build something so amazing was shocking to him. He’d expected teams of masters working on high level formations over the course of months or even years. To think it took a single human.

“What kind of machines are capable of writing formations on their own, if I may ask.”

She furrowed her brows in surprise for a moment before realization dawned on her.

“It actually makes sense that they couldn’t include much about artificial intelligence in the orientation, given how little they knew about you,” she paused at the confusion on his face. “They use building fabricators, powered by artificial intelligence.“

“May I ask what artificial intelligence is?”

“Well, I could show you. Alera,” she called. “Please introduce yourself to Xiao Lee here.”

The air shimmered, a sharp increase in the concentration of metal qi drawing his attention. In front him was a woman. She was slightly taller than him and had the body of a twenty-year old. She could’ve passed as for a regular member of their group if she wasn’t made of metal qi. She looked at him and smiled.

“Hey Xiao Lee. Congratulations on your Ascendancy.”

In his cultivation journey, Xiao Lee had met his fair share of strange cultivators. Some people, in an effort to get closer to their Dao, shed their human form and took on more characteristics resembling said Dao. He had even met a woman made of Thundersteel who wielded the Daos of lightning and metal.

Yet he had never met a single individual who was made completely from qi. Even as he looked at her with his eyes, he saw the ripples her presence made on the space around them. Solidified qi had weighed heavily on the surrounding space.

“Hey... Alara,” he said awkwardly, his words sounding like a question.

“Yes, Xiao Lee, Alara is my name. You seem confused. Relax Xiao Lee, I’m Bornie’s assistant and bodyguard. I believe she wants to show you what artificial intelligence is.”

His brows furrowed as he considered the implications of her words. Surely, she wasn’t...

“Pardon me Alara, but are you a machine?”

“Indeed, I am,” she said, a playful smile on her face.

“Are you a sort of simulacrum,” he asked, still confused. The was an odd sense of foreboding, that what he already assumed was true.

“No Xiao Lee, I'm not a simulacrum. I’m an artificially intelligent machine,” she explained slowly, like she was explaining to a child. “There is no human controlling me. I am purely machine. Yet by design I can replicate the consciousness and reasoning of humans and other intelligent species. There are even areas where I surpass natural sapiens.”

“How is that even possible,” he asked incredulously.

His brain struggled to process what he just heard. The idea that consciousness could be replicated in a machine completely independent of natural intelligence was one that brought its own set of existential questions. After all, machines were made to make things easier. What happened when the machines became smarter than the humans then?

“It is a complex process, I assure you,” Alara replied, her tone still slightly condescending. “It requires entire industries and fields of advanced qi studies lightyears ahead of anything that exists on your home world. Not all are like me, and the one’s that fabricate buildings don’t look human at all. Their intelligence is much more specialised. A fabrication machine couldn’t keep up a conversation with you for example, yet it could find patterns and print a complex formation on the fly with just a few prompts at nearly a hundred percent accuracy.”

His head was going to start spinning with the information he was receiving. It was mind-blowing and difficult to even believe, yet he had all the evidence he needed in Alara’s existence. He would have to ponder upon the implications of such a society more deeply when he was alone.

For now, though, he schooled his expression and tried to accept all he just heard. Though the concept of thinking machines was difficult to accept, he was still a cultivator, and he had seen some truly strange things back in Xenus.

“Thanks, Alara. Now please go back to what you were doing so I can discuss with Lee without sending him into shock,” Bornie said.

The machine grumbled but the sharp decrease in concentration of metal qi in front of him told him she obeyed Bornie.

“Well, I guess that was a lot to take in,” she said. “At least you know what artificial intelligence is now.”

Beside them, Lisa laughed softly.

“Oh Love,” she said. “The look on his face was priceless, Bornie. The sheer confusion. I don’t blame you though, Lee. I can’t imagine how I’d cope with artificial intelligence if I was from a world like yours.”

“I guess I could explain the building process more comprehensively if you want.” Bornie asked.

“No need please. I’d like to handle one big discovery at a time.”

He froze as he felt the qi in the air freeze. A heavy presence, enough to crush his entire world, filled the room. He struggled to stand when the source of the aura came into view.

Around him, heads turned, and feet shuffled, everyone turning their focus to the High Minister in front of the room. The room was quickly filled with nervous excitement, most people relishing the opportunity to stand in the same room with a High Cultivator.

None of this mattered to Xiao Lee. In that moment when he laid his eyes on the High Minister of Foreign Affairs, his world narrowed to single point. His breath sped up, anxiety filling him as he felt more mortal than he had in a long time.

The High Minister spoke.

For the second time since his ascension, the world broke.

0