Chapter 4 – Hell’s Gate
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The flying entities are humongous dragonfly look-alikes. They have two large eyes at the front. The body resembles an awfully long bread stick that is thick in size. Eight large wings spread along the body. A closer look reveals sections on the body. Each pair of wings is aligned with a section line, while each pair of legs is aligned with a section. These insect-like creatures are colorful. One insect has one main color, except for the section lines which are always black.

"THESE CAN'T BE DRAGONFLIES, RIGHT?" Wyn shouts against the buzz.

"They are no dragons. They are called stick flies here," CATOTO nonchalantly answers, but his deep voice is only heard by those near him, including Wyn.

"DID YOU TAKE ONE OF THESE WHEN YOU CAME TO US? I DON'T REMEMBER HEARING ANY BUZZ," a nearby female soul asks, also shouting.

"No. I sprint from my crib far from your human sight. But normally, one of them drops me off at my crib after visiting the gate."

"GATE? WE TAKE THEM TO THE GATE RIGHT? AND...HOW DO WE GET ON THEM? THEY'RE STILL FLYING" another female soul asks.

"On the back? No. You souls are funny. LINE YOURSELVES UP. EIGHT EACH," CATOTO commands.

After making lines of eight, the stick flies hover above each line and pick the souls up, one soul per pair of legs. Their legs are long and elastic enough to tie firmly around a soul's chest. Four of the stick flies are empty-handed, while one is carrying five souls. Wyn is picked up by a navy one along with seven others.

"WHAT ABOUT FAT PEOPLE? AND WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOU HAVE THOUSANDS OF SOULS?" Wyn asks.

CATOTO looks at Wyn, walks to him and answers, "We have thousands of these. We do more than one trip if needed. For larger souls, they just take more space. These legs are strong."

He then jumps onto the back of the stick fly Wyn is on and is directly above Wyn. CATOTO meows again, loud but not as loud this time. The swarm ascends higher and starts turning around one by one to avoid crashes.

"HOLD YOUR BREATH. THIS IS GOING TO HURT," CATOTO warns.

"HOW LONG DO..." Wyn is interrupted by the take off.

The stick flies are very fast. They don't need to accelerate to reach top speed. Many of the souls are in distress. Their bodies are in pain and later become numb from the harsh wind hitting against them. Their faces feel like they are about to rip off. They can't see anything, not at this speed. No one knows how many minutes have passed, but the pain feels like forever. After what seems like five minutes of torture, the souls have arrived at the gate.

While Wyn is still trying to acclimate himself, he hears a male voice, "No way!"

When Wyn opens his eyes. He sees a blurry shape of something behemoth. After dropping off the souls, the stick flies ascend beyond sight. Their nests may be up there somewhere. As Wyn is regaining his sight focus, he sees a creature he has seen in movies and games – Cerberus. The big dog is standing right before an even bigger gate. Wyn rubs his eyes to make sure his eyes are not playing tricks on him. He's a dog lover but never owned one due to his condominium's policy. He gets excited at the sight of a dog. Be that as it may, there's something unmajestic about this Cerberus.

"This is our best gate guardian, Cerberus," CATOTO points to the creature.

"We have the chihuahua, Hell's trembling prince. The husky, Hell's drama queen. The pug, Hell's slobbering king." CATOTO introduces each head from left to right.

The chihuahua is trembling and making small barks at the visitors. The husky howls huskily upon hearing the word 'husky'. The pug does nothing, except for excessive slobbering and snorting loudly.

"Hmmm...why these three dogs?" asks a familiar voice.

The voice is close to Wyn. He turns left only to find the young man that got scratched by CATOTO earlier standing right next to him. Looking closer at the man, Wyn sees some resemblances to Budd, especially the facial features. His face is thinner and overall, he looks lean. He has paler and fairer skin complexion than that of Wyn and Budd. His hair is dark along with his hazel eyes. His height seems to be close to Budd's, maybe a few centimeters taller. It's hard to estimate his age, but he's definitely years younger than Budd. He's in an oversized beige shirt and black joggers paired with white sneakers. But more importantly, the wounds on his face are healing up quite nicely.

"At the dawn of time, Hell created cats to serve as not just demons but also as agents to observe the humans in the living realm. On the contrary, Heaven created dogs to do the same biddings."

"Centuries passed, souls arriving in Hell started to demand we have dogs in Hell. So, we were able to create these three original breeds before Heaven found out and demanded a crease in production."

"...Production?" Wyn asks.

"Sadly, both the original cats and dogs that were sent to the living realm got domesticated and then devolved into creatures of lesser intelligence. Not to mention how lazy they have become," CATOTO laments, ignoring Wyn's question. "At least they return to us after death, where they become the demons."

"But if you ever wonder why cats and dogs sometimes stare intensely into something invisible, it is likely an escaped or an unclaimed soul."

"Escaped? Unclaimed?" Wyn asks.

"An unclaimed soul is a soul that neither Heaven nor Hell claims, unintentionally. As for an escaped soul, back before the nerds improved the security around Hell, some souls were able to escape. I believe they are referred to as 'poltergeists.'"

"If you want to learn more about Heaven and Hell, the seventh level has all the answers," CATATO takes the opportunity to upsell.

After learning that there are no other dogs in Hell than Cerberus, Wyn is upset. Despite not being a fan of the chihuahua and the pug, some dogs would have been better than no dogs.

"Now, cough them up my good boys and girl," CATOTO talks to Cerberus.

With CATOTO's command, all three heads regurgitate the wristbands. Each head does this several times before the shared stomach is empty of the wristbands. Joining Cerberus in on the action are a handful of souls. What appears on the ground are three green gooey blobs with the wristbands inside.

"Go grab one. Any is fine. Quickly," CATOTO commands.

"Are you serious?" a number of souls complain.

Unwillingly, souls start to grab the wristbands, clean them with their outfits, and put them on their wrists without CATOTO's instruction. The leftover wristbands are scooped back up by Cerberus.

"Can Cerberus make these?" asks a male soul.

"No. Cerberus doubles as a storage. Our multi-purpose good dog," CATOTO explains as he calls the pug head down to pet.

"Now, tap and hold the button for three sections to activate a projection."

There's no screen on the wristband itself, only a circular button in the middle. Pressing on it gives a tactile feedback and sound. A four by three virtual screen pops up vertically above the button. The screen's rather opaque with a black background, unlike in movies Wyn used to watch. A spinning loading icon appears for five seconds, then followed by a familiar logo – a colored logo of a man holding a wristband. This man looks very familiar to Wyn, but he doesn't have time to search within his brain at the moment. Three seconds later, the logo disappears and a menu asking Wyn to choose his destination appears.

"You can physically interact with the screen. Use any two fingers to resize."

"Select the level you want to visit, then select the section or zone you want to be in. Tap on 'confirm' to finalize your choice. If you want to go back to the previous page, just swipe left."

"Repeat the steps when you are inside Hell and want to change levels. You need to stand facing a wall to open a portal."

As everyone is focused on making their choices, wyn looks to the man to his left. He's unsure if he wants to form a squad with him. Wyn is an extreme introvert, but when it comes to going out, he needs company. To him, he would rather stay home than heading somewhere alone. The current issue is, he only travels with close friends. Trust has been a bane in his efforts to make new friends. But as with how Wyn handles any dilemma, he often chooses the easier route. In this case, he turns back to his screen. He doesn't want someone else's mistakes to cause him the punishment.

"Hey! Have you selected a level yet?" asks the voice of the young man next to Wyn.

"Oh. Well, the sixth level sounds nice, but I can't decide if I want to explore other levels first," Wyn replies, turning to face him.

"Ohhhh. Same here!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! You want to explore together?

"Erm..."

"It'd be fun. I'll be honest. I'm super nervous. I need someone I can rely on. You look very reliable."

"Err..."

"Look! Others are forming groups. I don't like doing things with too many people."

"Sure? But, don't fuck things up ok? We don't want to end up in someone's ass."

"Haha. Thanks!!! I'm Yu by the way. You can call me 'Triple U'."

"Triple what?"

"It's in Yu Watanabe. Get it?"

"I...get it? I think. But shouldn't that be 'Quadruple U'?"

"Now I don't get it. How?"

"You have a 'u' in your first name and two more in the 'w'. But your name is also Yu, which is another 'u'. And no, I won't call you that. Ever."

Yu looks blank. He fails to understand what Wyn is saying. To Wyn, this conversation with Yu reminds him a lot of Budd, where they would take nonsense at times. They share the same friendly energy, though Budd gives a more mature vibe. The two continue to chat for a bit before coming back to the level selection menu.

"Let's start with the first level for now. We'll decide on other levels later. There are some levels I'm not comfortable with," Wyn suggests.

"Okay. Cool. I feel the same. I wouldn't touch the fourth and maybe the fifth levels."

"Same, but we'll talk about it when the time comes,"

Just like that, both of them select the first level. The region they select is the Asiania region where both of them hail from. Their ultimate goal is to try all the foods they have never tried before from all regions. The thought of visiting the seventh level is still on Wyn's mind. If he gets a chance to get even with flush, he might want to take it.

"Those who have confirmed their decision may proceed through the gate," CATOTO speaks, while pointing at the gate.

Cerberus moves away from the gate. The arch-shaped gate starts to slide open from the middle.

"A warning. Do not attempt to murder other souls in Hell, except for when you are on the fourth level. There will be consequences," CATOTO warns.

"Oh. One more thing, the wristbands do not display your remaining time in Hell. This is Hell after all. Good luck and for some of you, have fun."

Wyn and Yu are excited, albeit very nervous. While Wyn is not a risk taker by nature, he sees this as a privilege he should take advantage of. For the first time in years, he feels special. Whatever lies ahead, may it be good or bad, he doesn't have to face it alone. The two start to walk toward the gate when Yu stops to chat with CATOTO.

"I'm sorry for what I said to you," Yu apologizes.

"You do not have to apologize, you already paid for it with your face," CATOTO responds unapologetically.

Yu proceeds to give CATOTO a cuddle. Although this catches CATOTO off guard, he embraces it. After all, he's a cat. He purrs as Yu scratches his chin.

"There might be more to this kid, I hope," Wyn thinks to himself.

"I'm 'soul' ready," Yu blurts out as he and Wyn enter the gate.

And with that, both disappear from sight. They are now officially in Hell.

0