1.18 Revelations
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Opix couldn’t remember the last time he had a peaceful meal since entering Satyrsong. There was nothing wrong with Grim, though he did have a bit of a staring problem. No, it was always Cerus. She knew exactly which buttons to push on him, and like a child, she took joy in pushing them. Even though she got under his skin more times than she didn’t, Opix had to admit he had a soft spot for her. She reminded him a lot of Gaia when they were younger. Though they were cousins, the two of them may as well have been siblings. He’d been talking to Ciz about her, veiling the truth by masking it as his experience “volunteering at an orphanage in Azeltos”.

They’d been going back and forth about nonsense topics for a while now, from the moments before Grim left with Cerus to the hours after, both dancing around the clear elephant in the room. This little break wasn’t going to last forever, and they both knew it. Even so, Opix saw in her eyes that she needed a break, and he felt in his mind that he needed one as well.

He who rushes into combat is he who dies in combat. He who waits is he who wins.

Opix smiled as he recalled the memory behind that quote. His master had a habit of randomly spewing some cringy quote like that to Gaia and him whenever she wanted to seem cool. They didn’t always make any sense, and he’d always call her out for trying too hard, but he could appreciate the value that lay in even the silliest of his master’s words.

“It’s only a matter of time before they find my stash,” Ciz sighed, a wistful smile tugging at her lips.

“Stash?” Opix questioned, though he could guess what she meant.

Sunstriding Vampires were originally from Unhome in the Fantasia Sector. They’d been driven to extinction generations ago, mainly due to their ritualistic feeding practices. They’d drain the blood of their victims and feed on them for months, all while the victim was still alive. Cerus was right in that this town was far too quiet, and pairing that insight with Ciz having a “stash”... Opix didn’t need to think hard about what had happened here.

“They were Rangers,” Ciz said, her expression darkening. “When I first arrived in Satyrsong, I tracked a group of them here to the High Tier Zone. They killed all of the local inhabitants and took the town over. Night fell, and I killed all of them. Hunted them like deer in an open field!”

Opix nodded his approval. “Shame we couldn’t be there. We would’ve helped.”

Ciz shook her head. “Don’t worry, Opix Gale. There will come a time when we all can hunt the Rangers together. We won’t always be trapped in Territory Quests.”

“I know. For what it’s worth, I appreciate the hospitality. I know he isn’t here, but Grim would say the same I think. Cerus would too, in her own way.”

“Those two are adorable. Take care of them. Make sure their minds stay clean, too. Please.”

Cerus is a Rose, and Grim is a Hearts. Once they have their mind on something, there’s no guiding them.

“...I’ll do my best,” Opix said, taking a swig of green tea Ciz had prepared for him an hour ago. It was cold and bitter now, but he liked it that way. It reminded him of his master’s attempts to make the same drink.

”That’s good. Very good. Before we go, it is customary where I come from to end a meal with a swapping of stories. Would you oblige me, Opix Gale?”

Opix took another sip of his tea. “Sweets and tea are hardly a meal.”

“I’m a Sunstriding Vampire. This was hardly an appetizer.” They both laughed. “Still, I would appreciate it if we swapped stories. I want to know who you are before we move forward.”

“By all means, but you go first. I’m not a good storyteller.”

Ciz hesitated for a moment, but she eventually decided that the “story” would be a retelling of her life before reaching the Ellalara Belt. Her entire life, Ciz lacked a voice, ending with her death at a wooden stake for being branded a witch. Opix knew there were planets in the wider multiverse that still dealt with that kind of thing, but seeing a victim of a witch trial in front of him was pretty trippy even for him.

When she’d arrived in the Ellalara Belt, a woman named Vri spawned alongside her and forced her to form a voice. They’d become fast friends, and before their relationship could develop into something more, Vri was captured by the Silent Hand in Grimhaven. Now, Ciz wanted to gather enough Gems to power herself to the point where she could take back Vri and keep them both safe.

“Vri was my voice, and they took her away. I will do anything to have her back, even if it means living as this hideous… Vampire thing.”

“For what it’s worth, I think your voice has developed fine without her.”

“Thank you, Opix Gale. You’re a peach.”

Opix thought her life would’ve made for an entertaining movie and he made sure to relay that. Ciz blushed and admitted to wanting to write about her life someday when “everything was over”. After asking a few courtesy questions, he decided to tell his own story.

Opix matched Ciz with a doctored version of his childhood. Naturally, he couldn’t tell her everything, and he couldn’t give actual details, but he said enough. His mother had goals of grandeur, he was blessed with the ability to help her achieve them, and even though she’s passed he’s still working to make her dreams come true. Opix knew he didn’t need to add that Chancellor Kato and his attendant Celestia took him under their wing, but Cerus had rubbed off on him – he wanted to show off a bit. He had to admit, it felt nice watching Ciz’s eyes go wide at the mention of them. They were Ellalaran celebrities.

“I knew I needed to train with the best if I wanted to see my mother’s dreams realized, so I petitioned them for months before Chancellor Kato took a chance on me.”

“What goals could you possibly have that would get Chancellor Kato and Celestia to train you?”

Opix smiled. “Killing Final Testament.”

Ciz laughed, harder than she had when Cerus got embarrassed, only for it to fade when she realized Opix was telling the truth.

“You’re serious?!”

It was Opix’s turn to laugh. “I’ve never been more serious in my life.”

“But Chancellor Kato only managed to weaken Final Testament. N-no offense, but…”

“It’s gonna be a while, sure, but it’s going to happen. It needs to happen. For the good of the Ellalara Belt, Final Testament must die. He’s the source of its eq–... turmoil.”

Opix recalled his breathing exercises as he awaited Ciz’s response. Just like that. Just like that, he’d almost slipped and ruined everything. All of his planning would’ve ended if he’d said one word.

You need to be more careful, Opix. You have a job to do, and you have people to take care of, now.

“The Felzian Queen was made by Final Testament, right?” Ciz began, graciously ignorant of his near slip.

“Yes, she was.”

“And she made the Rangers?

“Yes, she did.”

“Well, I guess I did my part in helping you reach your goal then! Sort of.”

“You did,” Opix smiled. “Thanks for the assist.”

Opix and Ciz went back and forth asking questions about each other’s lives a bit longer. He knew she was just trying to stall for Grim and Cerus to get back, likely so that we’d have a better chance at winning.

Or so that we can go out as a team…

Cerus: Ciz Weroz has an Automatic Presence in the other room. Grim Hearts and I will be making contact with it shortly. I will allow Grim to quench his bloodthirst, and then we will approach the Presence. Understand that I hold Ciz Weroz in high esteem, and I will not appreciate excess damage to her. Do what you must to ensure victory and no more. Is that understood?

Once again, Opix felt an almost visceral rage that only Gaia Kato knew how to draw from him. Of course a Rose would have the absolute gall to tell me to go easy on someone three Stars his senior! And what was that about Grim? Bloodthirst? Grim was a lot of things, but bloodthirsty wasn’t one of them.

It’s like she lives in her own fucking world.

Opix: Cerus, she is a max level 4-Star. I have nothing to hold back. I am a Level 71 1-Star, through and through.

Cerus: I did not ask you to tell me how strong she was. I asked you if you understood.

Opix: Holy fuck, Cerus. Fine. I’ll hold back, okay? I won’t kill her. I’ll toy with her and I’ll make sure to knock her out instead of killing her, alright?

Cerus: haha okay

Cerus: try not to die angel bitch

Opix: Every time you talk to me I get closer to Hell.

Cerus: i am flattered but i do not want you opix

Cerus: stop trying it makes you look desperate

”Ah, it seems the clock has started to tick much faster for us, hasn’t it?” Ciz sighed.

Opix took a deep, shuttering breath as he met Ciz’s eyes. “It seems it has.”

“I feel bad. You have a goal that is far more noble than mine, yet I cannot back down, and neither can you.”

“No, your goal should outweigh mine in a normal world. The Gems are supposed to be used for silly, selfish goals. We shouldn’t need to use them to kill Gods and destroy cults. This isn’t a normal world, though, and I need the Gems to make it one.”

Opix stood from his seat opposite Ciz, who’d remained seated. Though he told Cerus that he had nothing to hold back, that was a bit of a lie. He truly didn’t have any more power than that of a high-ranking 1-Star, but his body had experience fighting Celestials, Gods, Overgods, and Overseers. Sure, he was outleveled by Ciz, but he had fought much bigger and much scarier in his lifetime. This may as well have been an endurance test.

The VRI’S VAMPIRES Alliance has challenged the GALEROSE ALLIANCE to a fight! This battle will not end until one side is either dead or unconscious.

There are 1202 Battle Points on the line. To the victor goes the spoils! Escape will be considered a loss. Good luck!

”Do not worry, Opix Gale. I will ensure that my Presence does not consume your allies, though I will do what I must to ensure victory.”

“You know, Cerus told me to go easy on you because she holds you in high regard. I think she’d appreciate hearing you say that.”

Ciz smiled. “When this is over, I hope we all can reunite as allies.”

“I hope so, too.” Opix agreed.

They held each other’s eyes for a long moment, the last one they’d share as allies. As soon as it ended, Ciz’s face hardened and Opix matched her’s with a determined look of his own. She reached her hand back into a claw while Opix gathered electricity in his right hand, a product of his new Ziodyne Skill. Ciz hooked him with an overhead punch, but Opix caught it in his electric palm. When their hands collided, the entire house blew up, and Ciz disappeared into the foggy debris.

I’ll challenge myself and hold the potions. It’s been a while since I had a fight like this.

0