Chapter Three: Kenrith
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kenrith was a simple man. He was told to kill someone, he killed. Shoot someone, he shot. He didn’t need to know much more than that. It was a good life, in the Veil. Suited perfectly for his talents.

He had always been a loner, even before joining the group. Growing up on the streets of Veridia, he had learned early on that he was the only person he could depend on. But then he encountered Ethen, and for the first time, he felt like he had someone who comprehended him, someone he was able to rely on. Then everything had to get shitty. Fucked up and ruined. You make one slip-up, one potential fuck-up for the rest of them, and they got you for life. In this case, it wasn’t the Veil.

“What’re we gonna do, piss in their drinks and make them swallow?”
Ethen, a girl with brown eyes, was simple, but he had taken a liking to her.
“I don’t know yet. All I know is they got me by the testicles and now they want me to get this new guy into the Veil. This is gonna fuck me seven ways from Sunday.”
“Well, fuck em. Why can’t you ignore them?”
“I’ve already told you, I don’t wanna talk about it.”

I’ve already fucked enough people over, I don’t need to include her in it.

There was a knock at the door.
“The fuck you want?” He shouted.
“The boss wants to see you,” came the muffled reply.
“See you later, then?” Ethen said.
“Yeah, catch you later.”

Kenrith watched as Ethen faded into the darkness of his room. He got up from the floor, brushed off his pants, and walked out into the hallway of the barracks.

It was a simple building. The barracks were a stark contrast to the opulence of the Athenaeum. The walls were bare, the floors scuffed and stained. It was a place for soldiers, not for comfort. But it was home, in a way. A place where Kenrith could be himself, without the constant pressure of the Veil’s expectations. It lacked furnishings except for a few chairs and a fireplace. His room came with a bed, but higher positions came with more power and benefits. In the end, the expectation was for each member to pay for their own furniture.

He wasn’t sure why the boss always insisted on doing things in person, but he didn’t mind. It was a walk to the main compound, but he liked the cold. Contrary to popular belief, the Silk Veil didn’t operate in the dark. They listed the place under some front company, but their base was quite high with a lot of sunlight, at the core of Veridia. He never understood why people said that.

There were many comings and goings in the Athenaeum, but what could you expect from a high-class gang like the Veil? He walked through the doors of the main building and paused. The Captain was waiting for him in the lobby, instead of the meeting room. This is odd, he thought.

Captain Kissh was an intimidating woman in every sense of the word. She moved with the grace of a predator, each step calculated and precise. A storm in human form. Her piercing gaze bore into Kenrith's soul, as if she possessed the ability to unravel his innermost secrets with a mere glance. He had seen her in action before, had witnessed the ruthless efficiency with which she dealt with those who crossed her. With raven hair and scarlet eyes, she seemed like some demigod in command. She turned towards Kenrith, and strode towards him.

He stood at attention and stared straight ahead.

“Reporting in, Captain.”
She kept heading straight for him. She went past what would normally be an acceptable distance and backhanded him.
“Did I say you could speak?” She said in a calm voice. “I know what you did, Kenrith.”
Fuck, she knows.
Kenrith’s heart raced, his palms slick with sweat. Kenrith always anticipated the possibility of his secret being discovered, but he never imagined it would happen like this. He could feel Ethen’s presence in the back of his mind, a whisper of fear and desperation. But he couldn’t let it show. Not now, not in front of the Captain.
He swallowed hard and got back into position.
“You think I wouldn’t find out about your stupid little phone calls? I’ve been listening in. I know who you’ve been talking to.”

He stood there, frozen, afraid of what would come next.

“Who is this Ethen you’ve been communicating with?”

“She’s no one, Captain.”
She hit him again, swinging her right fist around, twisting her body to collide with the side of his head. Pain exploded in Kenrith’s mind, stars dancing in his vision. He could taste the blood in his mouth, feel it trickling down his chin. But he didn’t dare move, didn’t dare speak. He knew that any sign of weakness would only make things worse. He tilted towards the ground, catching himself just in time to sway back up.

“Lie to me again, and I’ll have you decapitated here and now.” She said, calmly.
“Ethen is a voice in my head. I’m schizophrenic. you can check my hospital records.”
“I didn’t realize.”
She stood there, staring into his eyes. He kept his own set trained on the wall in front of him.
“I could’ve had it fixed, but I didn’t want to lose her.” He started tearing up.
“We have a couple of others like you. We’ll be listening in. Give someone notice when you begin talking again next time.”
She caressed his cheek and gave him a peck.
“You’re dismissed.”
“Yes, Captain.”

He turned around and went back outside. It was raining as he hurried towards the medic bay with no other thoughts in his mind. Ethen spoke, and he glanced at her as he strode to the building.

“She’s a dick.” She mumbled. “You ok?”
His expression softened. “Yeah, nothing that a quick patch-up can’t fix.”
She nodded. They continued walking.
“Thanks for not making me disappear.”
“Don’t mention it.”

As Kenrith entered the medic bay, Ethen appeared beside him, her brows furrowed with concern.
“I don’t like this, Ken,” she said, her voice tinged with worry. “Captain Kissh, the Veil, they’re all watching you now. They’re just waiting for you to slip up.”
Kenrith sighed, wincing as the medic applied pressure to his bruised cheek. “I know, Ethen. But what choice do I have? The Veil is all I’ve got.”
Ethen scoffed, folding her arms across her chest. “All you’ve got? What about me, Ken? I’m here for you, always have been. And I’m telling you, they’re not on your side.”

The medic glanced up at Kenrith, a quizzical look on their face. “You okay, Kenrith? You seem a bit... distracted.” Kenrith shook his head, trying to ignore Ethen’s piercing gaze. “I’m fine, just a little tired.”

As the medic continued their work, Ethen leaned in closer, her voice dropping to a whisper.

“They’re going to use this against you, Ken. Your condition, your ‘slip-ups.’ They’ll twist it all around until you’re the one who looks crazy.”
Kenrith clenched his jaw, his hands balling into fists at his sides. “Stop it, Ethen. You’re not helping.”
“I’m trying to protect you!” Ethen snapped, her eyes flashing with anger. “Can’t you see that? Everyone here, they’re all just waiting for the right moment to stab you in the back. Captain Kissh, the other members, even this medic. They don’t care about you, not like I do.”

The medic stepped back, their work finished. “Alright, Kenrith. You’re good to go. But take it easy, okay? Those bruises are going to be sore for a while.”

Kenrith nodded, mumbling a quick thanks as he pushed himself off the exam table. Ethen followed close behind, her voice still ringing in his ears.

“I’m the only one you can trust, Ken. The only one who really understands you. Don’t let them turn you against me, against yourself. Promise me you’ll be careful.”
Kenrith paused at the door, his hand resting on the handle. He glanced back at Ethen, her eyes wide and pleading.
“I promise,” he mumbled, his voice barely above a whisper. “I’ll be careful. But I can’t just turn my back on the Veil, Ethen. Not now, not after everything.”
Ethen sighed, her shoulders slumping in defeat. “I know, Ken. But remember, I’m always here for you. No matter what happens, I’ll never leave your side.”

Do you want to hear more from Kenrith and Ethen?
  • Yes Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 1
1