Chapter 3- Dodged the Villain Flag
27 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, after a light breakfast, I was escorted by Helena to a small garden where everyone and Termich with his entourage of priests met up. He was with two men whose appearances screamed fantasy training arc. Seriously, their occupation couldn’t have been more obvious unless they were carrying status plates in front of their faces.

“Good morning Sir Henry, everyone. These two gentlemen with me will be assisting in your training. This is Sir Isaac Holt, Captain of the Royal Guard, and Master Lindel Versellis of the Mages Association,” Termich introduced.

“Greetings, everyone,” Isaac welcomed us with a crisp thump of his right fist striking his chest, I learned previously this was what constituted as a salute in this country. He was a solid six and half feet of muscle and wore a more stylized version of the armor that I've seen the other knights wear. A long sword that literally glowed was sheathed by his side. He had short cropped hair that was graying at the sides and a trimmed beard. Two scars ran along the left side of his face. Despite being clearly middle-aged, his back was straight and posture flawless even while in full and heavy looking battle armor.

“…Hello,” Lindel said rather dispassionately. He was a very young man, younger than Henry. He had long blonde hair tied back into a pony tail reaching his shoulders. He was dressed in a thick red robe that glowed with strange sigils. A wooden staff topped with a blue gem the size of my fist was in his hands. Rings lit up in colored lights on his fingers.

We went around introducing ourselves. Throughout the exchange, Isaac smiled and interacted normally with everyone. Either he truly was someone easy to talk to and didn't care about social statuses, or he had phenomenal communication skills that can expertly convince others to drop their guard and warm up to him. As much as I wanted to believe that he’s the former, I truly doubt such a person would be granted a high position in the Royal Palace: where it’s common to meet the Royal family, high-level officials, and dignitaries of other nations. We need to be cautious of him. As I think that though, Lucas was teaching him how to do a fist bump…

Lindel, however, didn't show any interest in us. Rather, his contempt easily shown through to us. The only time his demeanor changed was when Maria introduced herself. Everyone we met so far was Caucasian in this world, understandably some were surprised at seeing someone of a different race. Many had pretty shocked faces in seeing Hitoshi, Dominic, and me. Maria may be a little short and young, but she was still an extremely pretty and cute girl.

Hitoshi, bless the poor boy, seemed to just realize just how pretty she was. I guess the events yesterday prevented him from noticing sooner; but now after things settled a bit, he couldn’t stop noticing. Maria seemed to be comfortable around him, maybe because they were close in age and they woke near each other. Regardless, Hitoshi kept glancing at her while blushing at regular intervals.

I guess meeting an exotic foreign beauty caught Lindel’s eye; however, it's very clear that his interest was far from well meaning. Henry and Dominic both noticed and stepped forward to deliberately to block in case he tried to do anything.

Henry and Dominic, I’m told, made up last night with Dominic apologizing for his outbursts in the Summoning Hall. Dominic was actually a responsible and courteous person. He was still distraught about leaving his sick son behind on Earth, but he has gotten better control over his emotions.

After the introductions, Termich took out a crystal ball and explained the phenomenon of magic in this world.

Magical energy, or mana, existed in all things ranging from humanoids, Demons, and animals, to rocks, tree, and the very air itself. All life with intelligence above a certain level was capable of manipulating it to a certain extent.

Casting spells required intense concentration. Chants were initially used to help a caster to focus and visualize a certain phenomenon to cast spells; but with training, just mentally visualizing was enough. For example, to make a fireball, focusing on a clear image of fire, its heat, smell and other sensory information was required. Simple spells like that could be done by anyone with enough mana.

Warriors and knights of this world could use magic as well, strengthening and speed enhancement spells were the most common. They simply concentrate in being wrapped around in wind or their muscles swelling. Sadly, due to the chaos of close quarters combat, such spells only last for a few seconds at most before a warrior’s concentration was inevitably drawn elsewhere. Those spells were instead casted by support units.

More advanced spells, however, were difficult and even after witnessing a mid-tier spell in action with careful study, it was next to impossible to replicate for most people. To supplicate this, casters will form contracts with spirits or beseech gods to aid their magic. Basically, the magic caster will supply the energy while the spirits or gods will form the spell in their place. 

Or casters will draw magic enhancing sigils like runes or the magic circle (also known as arrays) from earlier. The runes and magic circles operate similar to water wheels that move for a specific purpose when mana, not water, flowed into them.

We were told that the circle we saw in the Summoning Hall was an array personally given by the God of Light to Termich for the specific purpose of summoning us and were beyond human knowledge and understanding.

In summary, to cast spells one need to lay a blueprint within their minds and supply magic power. Runes, circles, and magic arrays were the blueprints made manifest that greatly ease casting. You can also cheat and have someone else make the blueprint for you like bribing the smart kid in class to do your homework for you. THE END.

That was the short and simple version. Termich’s explanation was a lot longer, buried with a lot of religious terms and praises to his god. It was a relief when it was finally over. Some of the books I studied last night gone over mana and spells, so I'm already aware of a lot of the facts, but his explanation took the better part of an hour and added a lot of unneeded details.

“Now, this artifact is known as the Sphere of Obso, named after the God of Truth. With it, we can see and categorize your elemental affinity and blessing if you have them,” Termich gestured toward the Cyrstal Ball, “Now, just because you have an affinity towards a certain element doesn't mean you can only use that one specific element. It only means that you're specifically suited towards that element and spells of that element will be more effective and uses less mana. It will even make contracting sprits and communing to the god that governs that element much easier. Blessings are the same as well.”

He then asked us to touch the sphere one at a time.

Lucas, whose eyes shined from the moment the word magic came up, was first to volunteer. The sphere shine in a bright purple color.

“Oh! Purple, how rare! That is the affinity of lightning, governed by the god Tyrgan, Lord of the Sky,” Termich exclaimed.

“Does that I can shoot lightning bolts!?” Lucas asked, excitement burst from him so much that it appeared almost visible.

“To start with. Higher disciples and true adherents of the Sky God can fly freely and control the weather. There's a tale of a warrior so beloved by Trygan that he could transform to lightning at will and move at speeds faster than the eye can track,” answered Termich.

A squeal of delight exploded from out of Lucas at the idea of basically becoming the Flash. I started massaging my brow again at the idea of dealing with a hyperactive eleven-year-old that could move faster than the speed of sound. I want to cry…

Maria approached and touched the sphere. The orb flashed red, yellow and orange as if it was reflecting a flame.

“Ha-ha! The element of fire! Ruled by the Goddess Illdyn! It’s even at the third stage already!” Termich was going ecstatic.

I went next, I’m well aware that this was reality and not a fictional Isekai story, but if the standard plot line was to follow: then whoever goes last will either be the chosen one and raised as the exultant Hero or will carry the curse of darkness and be the next Evil God. I'm aware that I’m no Hero material. Outnumbered as I am now and within swinging distance of a fanatic, I must avoid that death flag at all costs.

The orb shined a soothing light green when I touch it, kind of like an unripe lime. At least it wasn’t dark red or a devil’s skull shining from it, but what will I do if it turned out that this was the element of evil or poison? Silence rang throughout the hall.

I looked behind me to see that Termich was on his knees and near tears, wait no, he’s actually crying, “The Light of Life… the element that governs the soul and the most powerful healing spells in existence, the Chosen of the Great Goddess of Life, High Gwenivere, stands before me… I thank my God that I have lived to see this day…”

Okay... so I managed to avoid being declared a heretic and was appointed the team healer. I’m a little disappointed at my affinity’s lack of fire power, but I can work with that.

As I head back to the group, and away from Termich who’s inching closer to me covered in tears and snot, I look around to gauge everyone’s reaction.

My teammates (was it okay to call them that?) look at me supportively. Like me, they’re greatly weirded out by Termich’s reaction.

Isaac was going “Hou” with an astonished look on his face. Lindel looked at me with an eyebrow raised. That’s probably the most positive emotion I've seen from him yet.

Termich’s entourage was in a similar state as their leader. Not as emotional, but they were looking at me as if they’re seeing something beautiful and moving.

The servants assigned to us also have an expression similar to Isaac. Helena looked a little triumphant. When she saw me looking, she flashed me a small smile and my heart skipped a beat.

After Termich collected himself, Annalise went next. When she touched it, the orb pulsed with a cloudy gray color.

“The power of the Earth, of the God Bachnil. Furthermore, it's in the realm of Ash,” Termich gazed at Annalise in surprise and joyful expectation. If he got any more excited than this at his age... well, I hope being a Chosen of the Goddess of Life meant I can do resurrection spells.

Dominic walked up and tentatively touched the orb. Bursts of silver light cascaded on its surface in a display similar to shooting stars.

“T-The blessing of Cisantoph, the Lord of Fate, with an affinity towards Earth…” Termich looked shocked as he whispered that. Out of all of us, Dominic was the only one who have gotten a non-elemental blessing. I later learned that alone was rare, and one from the God of Fate was unprecedented in both history and legends. The only reason why Termich managed to recognize it as such was because the shooting star is the divine symbol of Cisantoph.

Hitoshi went afterwards, the orb flashed out in waves, alternating in blue and white.

“Ah, the color of water, controlled by Imerella, the twin sister of Goddess of Fire. The white wave also denote that you have the potential to be her Herald, a great honor,” Termich said, his voice trembling in wonder. How was he maintaining his excitement? It’s a little scary.

“That said, Imerella and her sister Illdyn have a bad relationship that spans eons and erupted in conflict countless times. It’s foretold that if someone who carries a powerful Fire Blessing is romantically involved with someone with the Water Blessing, a great calamity will befall upon the world…” Termich said with a kind tone, gazing at Hitoshi with gentle eyes. As expected of the leader of a political-religious powerhouse, he saw through him immediately.

Hitoshi, excited at first, froze with a smile on his face. His eyes turning vaguely reminiscent of dull glass. He glanced back at us, or really towards Maria. Maria seemed oblivious to his feelings and Lucas hasn't noticed either, but everyone else seem to have guessed and we all stared at him with sympathetic eyes…

As Hitoshi hobbled back to us with a look that seems to have lost all hope, Henry stepped forward.

The moment he touched the orb, it shined like a small sun with golden light. We all averted our eyes until the light faded. There were no announcements from Termich. He finally collapsed, lying on his back with a face that appeared as if he achieved enlightenment. His followers were on their knees praising Henry.

It went without saying what element Henry was compatible with.

1