Chapter 11: A Pocket Full of… (Part 2)
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Posy exited the venue, sighing. She had checked everywhere inside, but there was no Night Watcher to be found. Outside was no different. Heroes were beginning to filter out now, as the evening grew darker, but as far as she could see, no Night Watcher.

One hero stood out, however. Head rested against the curb of a tree planter box, a man in a green tunic and shoulder cloak lay on the sidewalk and gazed skyward. A slim, green pointed hat crowned his head, and from that, a long white feather poked backward. He appeared to be around her age, maybe a bit older. Heroes stepped over or around him, as he was, quite honestly, in the way.

Posy gave the area one more cursory glance, then approached him, crouching down. She opened her mouth, but he spoke first. “Can you see Polaris?”

“Huh?”

She let her eyes follow his arm upwards, to where a star shone in the sky.

“You can’t see many stars in the city ‘cause of the light pollution, but you can still see Polaris. Do you know why it’s so bright?”

“No. Why?”

He poked out his thumb, index and middle fingers. “Because Polaris is actually three stars. Together, their light is strong enough to reach across the cosmos to Earth, where we know them as the North Star. Even across this great distance, these three stellar heroes have saved many an adventurer from getting lost in the wilderness at night.” He lowered his arm and turned towards her with a sad smile. “I’m sorry, did you need something?”

“You don’t need to apologize,” said Posy. “I found it interesting. Have you seen a purple-haired woman in a purple dress?”

“I haven’t been looking at the people much, to be honest.” The man pulled a rabbit out from his cloak and stood. “I think I’ve commiserated enough for today. I’ll keep an eye out for your friend.”

Posy gaped at the rabbit. “Rosie?”

“Is she yours?” He bobbed the rabbit towards her. It gave her a contented look. “Some magician looking fella was being awfully rough with this Missy, so I traded a couple artifacts for her.”

Posy shook her head. “She’s not mine, uh. You should keep her, I think she likes you.”

“Is that so? Maybe she can be my partner then.” He grinned, a real grin this time, then spun around on his toes. “See you ‘round, maybe.” He gave a backward wave.

“Oh, what’s your—” Posy’s phone vibrated and jingled needily in her pocket. Blast. She brought it to her ear, and fumbled around for her glasses. Where had she put them again?

Liberty Warrior responded, “Don’t stay out too late. We’re on patrol tomorrow morning.”

“Yes Sir.”

“Have you eaten a real dinner yet? I can send some food to your room before you get back.”

Posy blushed. “Uh, sure, that would be great.”

“Eat well, and stay sharp. Don’t neglect your body.” Liberty Warrior hung up.

Posy pulled her glasses out from the jacket inner pocket, but the green clad man was no longer visible now. Gosh, she just wanted to know his name. She puffed air into her cheeks, then let it out in a sigh.

A hand gripped her shoulder, and she jumped.

“What are you doing out here, Posy? The streets aren’t a safe place for a young girl on her own.” Posy spun around to see Argon. He stood in a lazy posture, one hand jammed into the pocket of his white pants. His signature, navy blue jacket hung down almost to the floor. A faint, almost imperceptible smudge of purple lipstick was smeared onto his neck.

“Have you seen Night Watcher?” asked Posy. “I’m looking for her.” Now that she thought of it, she hadn’t encountered Argon in her search either.

“Nope. Haven’t seen her since…” he hummed and tapped his feet as if trying to recall the moment. “Since our argument,” he concluded. “I’m sure you all witnessed it. We parted ways after that, though I can’t remember where she went.”

“What about that?” Posy pointed to the purple lipstick mark.

“What?” He touched his neck and held his finger up to inspect the substance, his brow tightening as he saw the color. Then, his expression relaxed and he shrugged. “Night ain’t the only woman around with a purple lip. I guess you could say I have a type.”

He gave a crooked grin. His other arm, his right, was held stiffly. Posy could see that his fist was clenched through his pocket. “Who knows what wild antics Night is up to. You might be better off just going home on your own, I’m sure she can handle herself. Call you a cab?”

On a hunch, though what this hunch was she wasn’t sure of yet, Posy extended her right arm. “Shake on it.”

He extended his left. “Sure.” Their arms dangled awkwardly for a moment, before Posy finally switched to her left. He gripped her hand tightly, and smiled. “I’ll go with you. We’re both headed back to the rooms, right?”

“Er, yeah.”

He pulled out his phone and tapped it a few times. They stood there next to each other for a few awkward moments, his hand never leaving his pocket. His foot tapped. Tap. tap. Posy couldn’t be sure why, but something about the situation was unsettling. The hairs on her arms raised. 

Sirens and lights flashed past them. Across the street, a green, white feathered hat bobbed through the crowd, just as a cab pulled up in front of Posy and Argon.

“My friend!” exclaimed Posy. “Sorry, Argon, I gotta go talk to him. I’ll head back later.”

The man from earlier emerged and waved at her.

Argon frowned. “This late at night? Don’t you and Libby Dubs have patrol tomorrow?”

“It’s urgent,” said Posy. “I never got his name.”

“Geeze, Night really has been influencing you,” muttered Argon. “Whatever. Do as you will.” He stepped into the cab, which drove off into the distance.

The man jogged across the street to Posy. Rosie poked her head out of his hood, which she laid in like a hammock. “Good. You’re still here,” he panted.

“Did you find her?” asked Posy, eagerly.

“I hope not,” he said. He held up his phone, covering the bottom half with his hand. There, in his photos, was Night Watcher. Her eyes were closed. “Is this your friend?”

“Yeah,” said Posy, swallowing a lump in her throat. “Did something happen?” She pushed at his hand, which he reluctantly removed. The woman’s throat was mangled horribly, and blood soaked her chest and dress.

Posy darted her eyes across the image. The wall in the background was tiled, and porcelain shone from the bottom corner. Was this a bathroom? She doubted the green dressed man would go into the women’s--it must have been the men’s.

“I  already called the cops and the Hero Association,” he said. “This is Night Watcher isn’t it? Number two hero?”

Posy nodded. Her heart beat wildly as she gazed at her dead teammate. Sure, Night Watcher was annoying at times, but she didn’t deserve this.

“Then that makes you Posy, of the Freedom Guardians?”

Posy nodded. What could have caused that wound? Strangulation? But there was so much blood. On Night Watcher. Posy wrenched her gaze away from the image and forced herself to look at the man in front of her.

“Gosh.” He placed a knuckle on his lips and pocketed his phone. “It must have taken a powerful villain to kill the number two.”

“Yeah,” muttered Posy. 

She flexed her hands and stood up straight. “What’s your name?”

“Tim.”

“I want to see her,” said Posy. “Can you take me?”

He hesitated. “Okay. But I don’t know if you’ll be able to. I think the cops are there.”

She followed him through the city, away from the Hero HQ. They arrived at a caution-taped building, a few blocks away. It was a Hero Association outreach building--the kind that oversaw non combat tasks.

“That’s Liberty Warrior,” whispered Tim. “I guess he’s here as the leader of her team. Well—your team.”

Around Liberty Warrior were police officers, Hero Association officials, and a handful of heroes who she recognized as top rankers. Liberty Warrior was fully armored now, and his face was not visible. Posy approached him.

“Who is this?” asked Liberty Warrior. His voice always seemed harsher when he was in uniform.

“Sorry for the interruption, Sir!” said Tim. “I found the body, and Posy wanted me to take her here. I’ll be on my way now.”

“Absolutely not,” said Liberty Warrior. He placed a broad hand on Tim’s shoulder. “You will stay for questioning. And you,” he placed his other hand on Posy’s, “will go to bed.”

“I want to see Night Watcher,” said Posy.

“This isn’t a safe space,” said Liberty Warrior, “And you already have an important investigation on your hands. I will oversee this one. Go. Sleep.”

“Fine, but I think you should investigate Argon,” blurted Posy. “He was acting suspiciously when I talked to him earlier. He walked up to me from behind when I was facing the Hero HQ, meaning he came from this direction. He also had purple lipstick on his neck and wouldn’t take his right hand out of his pocket.”

“I’ll talk to him,” said Liberty Warrior, crossing his arms.

Posy glanced sideways to Tim. “Will you be okay?”

He gave her a thumbs up and a grin. “Of course. Not my first murder scene, if I’m being entirely honest.”

Posy was on the cusp of a strange decision. She glanced at Rosie. Her velvet nose twitched happily, and her eyes were closed despite all the surrounding noise. Posy turned her attention back to Tim. He gave her a concerned look.

“How do you know this man, again?” asked Liberty Warrior.

Finally, she decided.

“He’s my new partner,” she declared.

“Wha--?” Liberty Warrior’s stiff upright posture faltered.

“I am?” asked Tim.

“Yes,” said Posy. “Which means you will be on patrol with us tomorrow morning at six. Meet us at housing complex one.”

“Wait a second,” said Liberty Warrior. “He’s not even level fifty. He has what? Three skills? He won’t keep up.”

“I was level 47 when you and Obso found me,” said Posy.

“That’s different,” said Liberty Warrior. “And besides, we didn’t let you officially join until you were level 75.”

“I don’t want to cause trouble,” said Tim.

“You’re always telling me what I can and can’t do,” said Posy to Liberty Warrior.

“I’m keeping you safe,” said Liberty Warrior. “If anything I should have been stricter!”

He gestured towards the building. The entrance was a hubbub of activity, with people going in and out.

“That could have been you!” he exclaimed. “Which is why I’m telling you to leave. I’m not just here to investigate the death of one of my team members. I’m here because whoever or whatever killed the number two hero might still be around. We can argue about this later, but for now you’re a distraction and a liability.”

He jabbed his finger into Tim’s chest. “You. Tomorrow at noon. I traded our morning patrol for the afternoon due to present events. If you can’t keep up, you’re out.” He reached out and grabbed a police officer’s arm, guiding them to Tim. “You. Take this young man’s testimony. He found the body.” Then, he leaned down to be level with Posy. “And you. Get some sleep. That’s an order.”

Posy inhaled, and deflated. “Okay. Sorry, Sir. Uh. I’ll see you at patrol tomorrow.”

She walked away feeling stupid. Why did she have to go and start a petty argument with her leader in the middle of a crime scene? What was she--a child? She pulled the gray jacket tighter around her body in embarrassment.

As she thought, she realized that she was glad that Liberty Warrior had sent her away. What would she even do if she saw Night Watcher in the flesh? Her pale skin bruised and bloodied, her carefully applied makeup smeared, and the hem of her dress messily draped across her legs. Night Watcher was her friend, her role model, and a powerful woman. Dead.

Posy dashed into an alley, feeling sick, as she recalled the image, and threw up into a dumpster. She slammed her fists against the green-painted metal. So many thoughts and emotions ran through her head that she couldn’t parse them. Instead it was a roaring of voices, like a hundred channels of television playing at once.

Posy pulled a pair of headphones from her inventory and leapt up to the roof. She played the heaviest metal she could find, drowning out the indecipherable thoughts.

She darted across the rooftops to the hero housing complex and paused at the base of the tallest building: housing complex one. She gazed up at the rooftop, lining herself up, then cast ‘leap (ascended).’

Blue energy pooled at her feet as she charged the skill with the necessary amount of mana. Then, in a burst of power, she was soaring through the air. She passed all ten stories and landed in front of the rooftop entrance. 

She typed in her code, scanned her eye and thumb, and slipped into the familiar hallways of her home. Into her designated room, where a cold bowl of rice and sides awaited her. Headphones off. Into her sheets. Out of her sheets. She took a sleeping medicine--something Liberty Warrior had banned in her team, but she kept for emergencies. Back into her sheets.

She stared at the ceiling. Her heart was still racing. Finally, she gave up and left her room, and walked down the halls to Room 1002. She punched in the code and entered. The lights brightened automatically.

She breathed in the familiar scent of Silent Observer. The room smelled faintly of tires, grease, and motor oil, with a side of the mint berry fresheners the mage had attempted to use to hide it. Car posters and schematics were framed in neat displays on the walls, and two sets of keys twinkled from their hooks by the door. One fob was gray, the other yellow.

Liberty Warrior hadn’t allowed anyone else to take over the room. It was as if Silent Observer had never left.

Posy rooted through the vinyl collection and slipped a large black disc into the record player. She paused at a picture frame that had been tucked sideways into the shelf. It was a group photo of the Freedom Guardians, from the year Posy had been inducted. There were ten members in total.

In the center, on bleachers, sat a younger Silent Observer and Liberty Warrior. They weren’t ranked one and two yet, but they were getting there. Younger Posy, she must have been 15, sat on Silent Observer’s lap. Posy blushed. She hadn’t remembered doing that. To the other side, Night Watcher and Argon held hands and did a cute pose together.

Posy took the photo and placed it on the bed stand. She then crawled into the sheets and wrapped herself in the thick blankets. It was a little bit silly at this point, but she pulled out her phone and texted Silent Observer:

Posy: Goodnight

Posy fell asleep with the lights on, gazing at the photo and listening to Husbands and Wives.

0