23 – [Job Training]
2.1k 8 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A light clapping was issued from the other side of the table to draw our attention back to the meeting. Rosefen was floating slightly above the floor with a small smile on her face as she finished clapping.

"Now then, can the two of you open your new interfaces so we can teach you some of the basics regarding our duties and powers within the Soul System?"

I mentally brought up the High Fey Interface from my status and was a little surprised to find that it listed a sub-menu near the upper right corner for my dungeon. Looks like I can still use that, though probably a given since it was merged and not removed completely.

Sub-Interface: Dungeon

Souls waiting for processing: 0

Soul Processing
Soul Vision Soul Log
Soul Adjustment Soul Revoke (Locked)

"As I am sure you can see, we do not currently have any souls that Mother has run into difficulties processing on her own. The number of cases of such souls has been going down at a steady pace, as Mother learns from our input. When we make a change to allow the soul to pass through the system Mother will implement that change herself the next time a soul encounters the same error. So our duty is relatively small on that front, the other part of our duty is slightly more intensive. I will go over the rest of the entries in your menu later but for now, I would like you to focus on the Soul Log option so I can show you our most important duty."

She was likely focusing on a system menu screen not unlike ours while she explained this, based on how her eyes were glazed over and focused on something in the air in front of her. Easier to describe something if you can see it at the same time, of course.

Soul Log

Abnormal Status Changes Specific Soul History

Hmm, perhaps our second duty is to monitor for unusual activity in status, like a quality assurance team working out the bugs?

"In this menu, you should have two options. One is a general log that spans the entire world. It will show you any changes that are pending on the status page for any member of the mortal races. Us Fey are managed directly by Mother and our status does not change much and any changes are processed by her directly so you won't see any of your kin listed in these menus. If a status change is too irregular or out of the assigned range for the mortal races it will be listed here for approval, usually this happens for powerful adventurers or hero kings. You will use the second option here to view the history of a specific soul to locate why the change happened, this option does not just show you all the changes that the soul has experienced in life but also allows for memory playback of the situation that unfolded to cause the change."

"Essentially you will playback the memories of the target soul and determine if the pending change is legitimate or was triggered by a bug. A common example of a bug would be the system attempting to assign a job of a lower tier than the owner currently has. Some mortals are taught by masters of a specific job and end up acquiring the middle tier job as a result. Where normal progression would have had them earn the lowest job of that level first and gradually improve it through trial and error. So once they meet the requirements for the lowest tier of that job the system attempts to grant it to them since they did not reach their current tier through personal experience but through teaching. In cases such as this, we would prevent the system from overriding the existing job and instead add it to the soul's job history, along with its associated skills."

I nodded along as I reviewed a few of the entries for Abnormal Status Changes, most of the very little entries listed in this menu were related to Job changes.

"You can view the History of any soul using the second command, not just those that are marked for review. Our resident High Dryad uses this function to screen royal families for criminal activity that has been logged in their soul before dispatching a Dryad to serve as our representative. We have only occasionally had to adjust the strength of the dispatched Dryad in response to these screenings, but it comes in handy for preventing any harm to our kin. Especially ever since the incident that caused one of ours to suffer needlessly at cruel hands a few thousand years ago when we first began to associate with mortals outside of just monitoring their changes in the system."

I had read of that incident in a few of the human books that that focused on studying the Fey. It happened in a now-abandoned country just south of the mountain, the ruling family of the time was foolish and thought they could imprison the Dryad that the Fey sent as a representative. They believed they could force her into serving them and increase their countries fighting strength with her blessings, sadly they did not know about the Dryad ability to instantaneously communicate with their clan sisters. For the first time in the history of the world the mortal races witnessed the true power of the Fey in response to the vile acts of that royal family.

Our elder High Fey siblings had issued a warning to that royal family and were on the move to recover the Dryad when the royal family made the poor decision to kill her and pretend she never arrived in their kingdom. The result was the complete destruction of all the mortals involved in her imprisonment and murder. The kingdom in question was removed from the map and its citizens relocated to the neighboring nations. The land that once belonged to that kingdom was left in a state of ruin, as the High Fey pressured the mortal nations to never again settle on that land in order for it to be kept as a lasting reminder of the power of the Fey and the consequences of harming one of their family.

"On a lighter note, back in the main Soul Interface. The third option gives you the ability to manually adjust the status of a soul to any value it previously had. Meaning you can reverse all of their progress they have had since birth if you so choose. We have rarely used this function and have only ever used it for souls that have not yet crossed a line and simply need to be taught a temporary lesson, after which we reverse the change. And the final option in the Soul interface will only unlock after a mortal has been deemed dangerous by the world, by massacring other mortals or murdering one of us, and it will lock again after we use it to revoke their soul assignment."

27