anything
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

RAVEN

This is it. Today's the day we end Cain's life.

I had to do a lot of research in order to fulfill this. I know going into this that Cain won't submit easily. I can't be stupid and go in guns blazing because Cain has far too much experience with things like that. He has men that would still jump in front of a bullet for him.

It took me a while, but I figured out something that I think will work. There are only two things I wanted to make sure of when I concocted a plan—firstly, I needed to take him by surprise and catch him off guard, and second, he deserves to die in a way that is slow and makes him feel absolutely powerless.

I told Luca explicitly of my plan because he requested it. In all honesty, I expected him to want to alter pieces of it, or that he would pick it apart to inform me of parts that he worried were weak. However, he did none of that. He sat quietly and listened intently as I explained all of it, down to every last detail. He occasionally asked questions or for further description, but he seemed like he was okay with what I'd figured out.

I know he's worried. Worried about my safety, about people discovering what we're about to do, of the repercussions of murdering Cain, of how Dove might react. I get it. I'm concerned about those things too, but I truly believe we don't have any other option. Cain is a danger to everyone and this is the only way to stop someone like him.

If we got him sent to jail, he'd buy his way out. If we crumbled his empire to ash—which, it's almost at that point anyways—he still has money and influence and can harm other people. There's no point talking or trying to discuss anything with him either to try and change his mind. The only way to stop him is to stop his fucking heart.

I think Luca realizes this too and it's probably a large reason why he's even doing this with me. After everything he's ever said to me, I'm pleased but shocked that he's actually going along with my madness. Everything he's ever done since he walked into my life has been done to protect me so I wasn't sure he'd cave and allow me to be the literal hand that will end Cain's life.

My father's life.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that fact. However, I don't give a shit what some blood test and paperwork might say, he isn't my dad. I had a loving, caring, supportive dad that loved me for exactly who I am. Who encouraged me to be me. He was my father, not Cain.

Maybe that's what makes this feel slightly easier to me. I don't see him as my family because he isn't. He isn't someone I love and who loves me. Unlike Dove, I see the evil in him. I'm not blind to how darkened his soul is. There is no redeeming Cain Brooks. He's too far gone.

It took a ton of research, but eventually I was able to find a poison. Considering he poisoned Dove and her unborn baby, I think it's fitting. The type I chose is different from his because the poison I selected will only completely paralyze him. He'll be able to speak, but he'll be physically unable to move.

Not only will it feel incredible to see him so powerless, but it's one of the safest ways for me to get up close and personal with him. If I tried to get close, I'm positive he'd figure out a way to overpower me. This way, I can sneak the substance into something he consumes and then wait until most—if not all—of his staff has left and Luca and I can do what needs to be done.

I expected that I would be more nervous about all of this. Perhaps it's because I have Luca at my side. He makes me feel like I can do anything, in all honesty. Inside my blood and in the marrow of my bones and the networking of tendons within my body, I know this is the right thing to do.

"Are you sure you want to do it this way? Tonight?" Luca takes my hands in his, stroking his thumb over the back of one in a soothing gesture.

I nod, "This needs to be done. I don't have a choice. We don't."

"There's always a choice, my love. Always."

"Not with this," I try to convince him. I know exactly what he's thinking—he's still hung up on the idea of me doing the worst of it today. He'd much rather do this by himself so my hands would be washed clean of it. That's the other choice in his mind, but I won't allow him to shoulder all this burden.

Not when he's already done so with everything else thus far. We're a team and we should both have to do things that we aren't necessarily comfortable with. One person shouldn't have to face all the darkness alone. It simply isn't fair.

I can do this. I know I can. I'm glad he's giving me the opportunity to do it, as fucked up as what I'm about to do is.

"You're sure you're alright with this?" I can hear the concern laced in his voice and it makes my heart swell. He loves me so much that I almost don't know what to do with myself. I've honestly never had a man in my life that treats me like he does and it's uncharted territory for me.

"Yes. For all of us, yes."

"Everything will be alright." I meet his eyes and the nerves wash away. His eyes are like home to me—they've been one of the only constants in my life as of late. When he promises that it'll be okay—that we'll survive this—I believe him. I really and truly do.

After a beat, he adds, "Remember that freedom isn't given, Moonlight. It's taken."

He's right. Freedom is something to fight for.

And so is he.

"You ready?" He inquires, glancing towards Cain's closed office doors.

"Yeah," I confirm weakly, nodding my head.

I want to do this as fast as possible. Get it started quickly because the poison won't take long to affect Cain. I managed to sneak it into his after dinner coffee and I can't be positive how long its effects will last.

Which, trust me, took a hell of a lot of carefulness and discreetness. I had to do so in such a manner to avoid all of the wandering eyes around the table. Anyone who's ever been to one of our dinners knows that's a feat because it isn't just family, it's the staff too.

The staff that would be forced to rat me out because they'd get killed if they didn't and Cain found out. I still can't even be absolutely sure that no one saw. It's entirely possible we're about to walk into his office and he's going to tell us the jig is up.

I take a deep breath to calm my nerves. After steeling my back, I move to open the office doors and step inside, with Luca entering behind me, closing them at his back.

"Raven, Luca—" he greets us when he lifts his head, appearing busy with some paperwork. "I wasn't expecting anyone. It's late. What is it?"

"We need to talk."

"About?"

I pause, hesitating for a moment as we near his gigantic desk.

"Raven, I don't have time for this. I'm busy. So, out with it or leave."

By this point, Luca is standing beside the massive piece of furniture, while I'm across. I give Luca a simple nod—our pre-arranged signal—and he does just as we discussed without any delay.

With Cain's hand flat to the top of the desk, Luca takes a decorative letter opener Cain has left beside some papers and with a sharp thrust downwards, he plunges it into the back of Cain's hand, securing his palm to the wood. His cry of pain is chilling, but in his soundproofed office, no one will come to his rescue.

I meet Luca's gaze from across the desk as Cain instinctively moves his hand in an attempt to ease the pain, but it only causes the letter opener to carve a larger hole in his hand. He yells out, clenching his jaw.

Before he's able to use his free hand to tear it out, I run towards him to grab the knife he keeps in his pocket, shove his arm to the top of the table, and plunge the blade into the back of his hand as hard as I'm able to. My heart hammers in my chest, adrenaline coursing through my veins like never before.

Blood has begun pooling from each wound, staining the paperwork that rests on either side of his hands.

"What the fuck, Raven?" He snaps, turning his head to face Luca, "You'd better pray to fuckin' God that I don't get out of this. I'll make sure you suffer like you won't believe."

"You won't get the opportunity to, Cain," Luca assures him, his eyes flickering up to mine as he waits my next move.

"Did Diablo set you up to—" he stops mid-sentence, furrowing his eyebrows in a way that makes me think the poison has begun to make him feel different. It'll only be a minute or two and he'll be completely paralyzed. "Did fuckin' Diablo pay you to do this?"

"No, Diablo's too busy having a fantastic time in Costa Rica," Luca informs him.

Cain can't hide the surprise on his face. "You've known where he is this whole time?" He rolls his shoulders, looking like he's testing the muscles.

"He went to visit him, my dear dad."

He chuckles lowly and I notice him sink slightly in his chair. I think he's doing what he can to hide what's happening. "Ah, is that why you're doing this? I've given you daddy issues?"

"You're not even gonna' deny murdering my parents?"

"What d'you want me to say, Raven? That I fucked up? That I'm sorry for what happened all those years ago? 'Cause pigs will fuckin' fly before that happens. What happened, happened. It is what it is. I did what was necessary." He sinks a bit lower, his head hanging slightly.

I'm positive the poison is working just as it should.

"I don't need an apology, Cain. I never expected one." He attempts to turn his head towards me as I speak, but he's unable to, so I walk in front of the desk so he can meet my eyes. "You see, if you would've actually paid attention to me, you would've realized that I'm not stupid. I'm not naïve. I've watched and listened to the way you work for years. You are so fuckin' egotistical that you can't get out of your own way. You can't see that I'm a threat to you."

"Do you remember telling me that I'm no good to you if I wouldn't marry Marco? That I'm a pain in your ass?" I'm taunting him at this point, but I don't really care.

To add to the tension, Luca steps around the desk and with a lifted foot, he kicks the desk chair out from underneath Cain's ass. He falls to his knees instantly, confirming that he's under the influence of the poison. That, no matter how hard he tries, he's unable to fight back.

Just as I planned.

This is the safest possible scenario and it only further fuels my courage. As does Luca's gaze on me, which makes me feel like a queen and that he's simply here to sacrifice his life if shit hits the fan.

But it won't. I've planned this in such a way that I know it won't.

"Well, guess what, Cain? I guess you're right—I am a pain in your ass, 'cause I'm about to be the one to end your life. You're of no good use for any of us. I told you that you'd come to regret the decision to marry me off. That I'd make sure you knew what it's like to feel utterly powerless. How does it feel, dad?" The last word is like acid on my tongue, but the only reason I'm saying it is to rub it in his face. It feels fucking cathartic and I want to feel like he's finally getting what's been coming to him.

He ruined so many people and now I'm returning the favour. To see such an evil man who has always held so much power and stature on his knees, helpless, is a good feeling. I want him to die slowly so it feels like each second that ticks by can make up for one soul that's been stolen by his hands.

He's about to learn that even a white dove has a black shadow.

"Are you expecting me to beg for my life, my darling Raven?"

He won't. I already know that. He's doing what he can to get his jabs in. The writing is on the wall, he knows this is it, he simply wants the last word.

"Have you found who killed Marco yet?" I can't help it, I have to torment the shit out of him. This is the only chance I'll get to do this. Plus, it's helping me gain the confidence to do this. The worst part hasn't even begun.

Luca moves to stand beside me so that we're both looking at him. He glares at the two of us, but doesn't speak.

"Would you like to know?" Now Luca is joining in and I'm glad he is. After everything Cain has put him through, I want him to get a sense of closure with this too. A minute passes and then Luca finally releases his secret into Cain's world, "I might've tipped off Marchetti about him and allowed Marchetti's men to do my dirty work."

That's when it occurs to Cain—I can see the emotion flicker in his eyes. He's finally discovered our secret. When he peers at me, there's nothing in his gaze as he points out, "You're in love with him." He glances at Luca and then back to me as he adds, "Somehow I expected it would happen eventually. If Adiv was fucking my one daughter, why wouldn't his best friend be fucking the other one?"

He's trying to bait Luca. To make him react to him talking shit about Adiv. However, Luca doesn't take it, which makes me so proud of my man. He isn't playing Cain's games. His words are meaningless. We all know who Adiv was so let Cain talk his shit because they're empty words.

"You can say all you want, Cain, but your grandson will be born into this world and he won't even know you exist. Dove plans on taking him far away from here and she'll tell him all about the man his father was." Luca's tone is confident and it rattles Cain, I can see it.

Luca really started a war to stake his claim on me. To prevent any harm from touching me. And now he's standing by my side, being the devil on my shoulder as I do what I need to do. Encouraging strength within me that I'm not sure I ever knew existed.

That is why I love this man. He cherishes every single part of me and will only do what is in my best interest. He doesn't treat me like a damsel in distress. Instead, he's willing to step aside and allow me to be the one running things.

"Grandson?"

"Adiv Junior," I confirm, "AJ." He can't hide the anger on his face at the sound of what I've just told him. "Adiv will live on in his son—in name and in spirit—while you'll be forgotten."

"Fuck you. Fuck Adiv—that piece of shit. Fuck you, Luca. Fuck all of you."

I keep my composure, fixing the hem of my dress as I saunter around the desk. This is it. This is the moment I end it all.

I reach for the belt wrapped around his waist, unbuckling it and pulling it through the loops of his expensive dress pants. He wants to fight—I can see it in his face—but he's unable to. I imagine there are a million thoughts going through his mind right now, but I hope the most nagging one is reminding him that he's losing his empire, the only thing he cares about.

I once imagined doing this exact thing to Marco. I pictured taking the steak knives beside our plates, securing his hands to the surface of the table, and wrapping his belt around his neck until he stopped breathing.

There are a million and one ways I could kill Cain. I could easily remove the knife or the letter opener from one of his hands and use it to slice his throat open. I could also stab one into his heart, or his neck—like he did with Adiv.

However, I happen to think the latter two are too impersonal. He'll bleed out quite a bit faster than I want him too. I want him to feel completely and utterly helpless. I want his life to flash before his eyes so he can envision everything he's losing, while knowing who is stealing it from him.

After a lifetime of feeling powerless because of him, I need to feel powerful and invincible for a few minutes. Does that sound fucking crazy?

I hesitate for a moment, thinking about the savagery of what I'm about to do. However, after a deep breath, I carefully wrap the belt around my father's neck, placing the leather through the loop. I offer him one more thing, "Any last words, Cain?"

"Some day exactly this will happen to the two of you. When that day comes, I'll greet you at the fuckin' gates of hell."

With that, I pull on the strap of the belt, observing as it tightens around the front of his throat. I tug as hard as possible, feeling this sense of rage suddenly wash over me.

I think about the fact that he murdered my parents. Of the feelings I felt when I wanted nothing more than to have one more hug with my mother. The confusion and anger I went through at not understanding why my parents were taken from me.

The fact that he tried to marry me off. Not only marry me off because I wasn't useful to him, but sending me to live with a man who was grotesque, and frankly, dangerous for me.

The times he'd humiliate and mock me for the women I'd date. The men, too. For every single moment he made me feel uncomfortable with being myself. Making me feel as though I should be ashamed for the woman I've become.

I have nothing to be ashamed of. I know that. I'm a strong woman and he's greatly underestimated me and what I'm capable of.

For the things he's done to Dove. From scaring off ex-boyfriends, to beating them, to murdering Adiv and making her watch. For poisoning her and her unborn child in an attempt to force her to abort the baby.

This man whose breath I'm stealing is a heinous individual. He has absolutely no morals and doesn't care about anyone but himself. I'm honestly doing the world a service by removing him from it.

I hate him. I hate everything about who he is. As he gasps for air, I can't think of a single redeeming quality about this man. I hate every single thing he represents.

The funniest part of this is that he's played a massive part in his own downfall. If he wouldn't have gone fucking crazy, he wouldn't have lost so many of his men, which means his security would've been more protective over him, and we wouldn't have necessarily been able to get this close to him to do this.

Instead, we're murdering him in such a way that it's taking time and I'm not at all worried about someone walking in and catching us in the act. He's weaned his security down because of his antics. They've all left, been killed, or fired so I'm positive we're okay in that aspect.

I'm not sure I've ever felt this angry. The longer I deprive him of air, the more enraged I get as I remember everything he's ever done to me or to anyone I love.

This is also for the things he's done to Luca. For making him witness traumatic tortures. For sending him home, covered in the blood of people he doesn't even know. For forcing him to witness the death of his best friend and brother and then making him bury the man. For putting him in positions that disturbed him in ways that I can't begin to imagine.

I love Luca so much that I would do this strictly for him.

Alas, there are far too many reasons I'm doing this.

With each second my hands grip the leather of the belt, it feels like the metaphorical anchor that's wrapped around my ankle is pulling me deeper and deeper into the darkness of the ocean.

At this point, I'm not sure how many minutes it's been. It feels like a lifetime of listening as Cain gasps for air. I'm not even sure if I'm listening to Cain or if my brain is making things up. Luca has remained quiet throughout and I happen to believe it's because he's prepared in case something goes awry.

I recall reading once that it can take upwards of five minutes to kill someone via strangulation. What I don't recall is how long it feels. Long but quick, at the same time. Long enough for me to consider every aspect of it and stop.

But I don't.

Eventually, Cain falls completely limp, but I'm scared it's not enough, so I don't cease what I'm doing. My adrenaline is so high that I'm not sure if I could. The echo of my pounding heart resonates in my ears, spurring me further.

When I feel a touch on my arm, it brings me back to the present and I find that Luca's gently brushing against my skin as he's looking down at me in concern. "Raven," he speaks my name, but it comes out muffled to my ears. He repeats it, grabbing my fingers to tear them from the belt, "Raven, he's gone. He's dead. You can stop."

I finally drop the accessory, watching as it falls to hit Cain's back. Luca grabs my face in his hands, using his thumbs to brush the wetness from underneath my eyes. It's the first time I realize that I've started crying at some point.

He whispers my name again, this time his voice sounds pained. He pulls me to him and the relief is overwhelming as he takes me into his arms. The solid feeling of his chest, the familiar smell of him and his cologne, and the warmth of his skin against mine soothes me. The anger raging inside me slowly subsides like the lunar tide on a full moon.

I clench his black dress shirt between my fingers, trying to calm my racing heart. A million and one emotions are fighting with one another inside of me—relief, guilt, horror, happiness—but one thing is certain—I finally feel safe.

It's probably dumb as hell to think so, but I always feel safe in Luca's arms. And now that the one man who was truly threatening my life with Luca is dead, it's an overwhelming feeling.

There are still so many unknowns, but it feels good to have this chapter closed.

I can't be certain how Dove will react to this. She knew it was coming. She gave her stamp of approval for it to occur. However, I honestly think she still wages over whether it's the right thing to do. I know she wishes we could've simply sent him to prison rather than killing him.

I also don't entirely know where that leaves Luca and I. To be honest, this might make Luca the new Don and me the Don's woman.

Is this what Luca wanted? He told me he didn't want to be part of this life, but now I've inadvertently sunken him further into it. But there was no other way to promise our safety.

"We—I—" I don't know where to begin.

"It's alright, my love. You're alright. You're safe." He glances over my shoulder to look at what's become of his boss.

I follow his gaze, seeing Cain slumped over the desk. He's still kneeling as we left him, but because his hands have been secured to the top of the piece of furniture, he's quite literally hanging over the edge of it. Blood pools on the surface from the wounds in his hands.

The sight should cause me to feel utter shock and horror, but it doesn't. It causes this tremendous weight to be lifted off my chest.

I feel like I can fucking breathe. The toxic air is gone and I'm inhaling lungs full of fresh air.

"We have to get rid of him," I mutter.

Luca steps forward, releasing me as he moves to rifle through Cain's jacket pocket. When he finds his handkerchief, he saunters to Cain's dead body and yanks Cain's knife out of the one hand. It causes his body to slump further, but Luca ignores it as he wipes the blood from the knife on the fabric of the handkerchief.

It takes me a moment, but then I realize why he's done it—it's because it's exactly what Cain did after he drew the blade across Adiv's throat.

"You should go home," he tells me. "I can handle this."

"No," I reply with a firm voice. To enunciate my point, I step to Cain, grab the letter opener and lift, tearing it out of his hand. Cain falls limp to the ground as I add, "We do this together, or not at all."

0