Chapter 5: Inedible Bakery
32 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been about fifteen minutes since Alice has awoken from her nap. She's currently staring at her system screen, hovering her finger over the "Ten Roll" button on the Earth Elemental banner. Who knows what she'll get once she rolls it. More of those funny little rock guys? Maybe another creature like Brownie?

She pushes the button and patiently awaits for the Big Guy upstairs to accept her request. One must treat themselves after hauling in a lot of money. It's basically an unwritten rule! It's not like she can't haul in another one thousand points to make up for it later.

After patiently waiting for a few minutes, Henry accepts the request (knowing full well he can't really purchase anything without her regardless). Ten orbs pop out of the sigil once more. Six of the small ones, three of the ones that are a little bit bigger, and one that's just barely larger and a bit shinier than the others. Doesn't seem to match the sheer quality of the one that Dibs popped out of, though.

Alice takes her time breaking the smaller ones first. A silver one pops out amongst the group, as well as another iron one. The other four of the small orbs are just the average Earth Elementals, though.

She breaks the three larger ones afterwards. Her guess was pretty right, as the bright light reveals three creatures that look rather similar to Brownie in terms of shape. Though, each one has a different color. One is orange with seemingly very little going on in his head, another is tan and seems rather calm and composed, and the last is a grey one with a sense of urgency at all times, even when nothing is going on. Paranoid, if you will.

Before throwing the last one, Alice takes a deep breath. Hopefully it's something useful, and easier to handle than Dibs. The bright light shines once more, revealing a creature oddly similar looking to the rest. Grey fur just like the paranoid one, although the tips of its ears and tail, as well as the ends of all its paws, are all a darker grey. On top of that, it has a dark grey tuft of fur on its forehead and a rather determined expression on its face.

It bows down, giving its regards to Alice.

"Thank you very much for summoning me!"

The creature stands there, patiently awaiting orders from Alice. She wouldn't mind having, like, a hundred of these little guys running around. She'd probably be able to take on anything at that point, honestly.

She heads outside, leading the new creatures as well as the new elementals into the hallway. It's been cleaned up spotless, with the corpses being moved all the way to the big room. She'll have to make a mental note to loot them later today.

The moment she steps into the big room, she immediately sees a bunch of highly compacted dirt igloos. Rather shoddy looking ones, at that. Seems like that's what Brownie has been doing this entire time.

Brownie spots the group of new recruits and happily runs over with a happy look in his eyes, frightening the grey one, who hides behind the braver grey fox, who tries to settle down Brownie a bit.

"Well, I hope you enjoy your new permanent home!" Alice says whilst motioning Dibs towards her. "Dibs, give me some food. I'm going to make a banquet to commemorate our current GREATEST draw so far."

Dibs walks over and coughs up a few beads with a bit of effort. There's a few bento boxes of sushi, a sealed bowl of pesto pasta, and what is probably the most unhealthy looking burger in the world. After portioning most of the food to the fox-creatures, Alice decides to give the burger to the grey-dark grey one. After all, it's probably going to end up doing most of the work anyways. Not that Brownie isn't deserving of a large meal or anything, she just thinks that higher tier summons would resist cardiac arrest a bit better.

Henry feels rather left out, but still enjoys watching all of them gather around and eat a nice meal together. If he could do much of anything besides accept purchases and look at menus, he'd probably be having the best time of his life.

Dibs patiently sits next to the entire group, eating up all of the trash and containers left behind from the meals. He seems to really like the pretty plastic bento boxes that the sushi comes in, and doesn't quite enjoy the paper wrapper from the burger. Henry makes sure to take note of that, despite it being the most useless thing he could possibly take note of. Just something to think about during the calm periods of the day, when nothing's going on.

Alice sighs. Loudly.

"Is this what life's gonna be like forever? Sitting around eating junk food and killing people whenever they walk in? Making dirt igloos for fun? There's gotta be more to life in this place." she remarks, eating some sushi off out of the grey one's box since it didn't quite feel like eating any.

The dark-grey one stands up quickly as if commanded to do so, and motions the tan one over, asking it to make some sand. Once it obliges, the dark-grey one simply puts its hands forward in the same motion that the other ones do to create materials, and refines it into glass.

"Oh, we could make some really cool stuff with that!" Alice says, walking over to the grey one to take a look at the newly refined glass. It's rather sturdy, and looks like any normal glass pane. Almost as if it was done by a machine. Machines definitely aren't this cute OR magical though, at least from what she knows about. Maybe there was some secret military project creating adorable mutant creatures with magic powers or whatever. She's already in another world anyways, it's not her problem anymore.

Alice orders the rest of them to try it out with their own abilities, finding out what each one refines into. The grey one makes simple stones, which are refined into big slabs of stone. The orange one makes clay, which is refined into ceramics. and Brownie makes dirt, which is refined into incredibly compact dirt. Much more compact than what Brownie can usually make alone. A lot of useful abilities, albeit lacking a few important materials to make anything really interesting. Plus, Alice wasn't some sort of genius estate developer or an amazing scientist, she was just an employee at an insurance agency. There's really no taxes underground with a bunch of funny little creatures and some people that wander in that you have to occasionally kill. Kind of refreshing, honestly.

"Excuse me!" The dark-grey one speaks up. "When are WE going to get names like the squirrel?"

Alice almost entirely forgot about that, to be true. Too caught up with eating food and making neat squares. Good names, good names...

Ah! She can just use food again!

She points at the orange one. "You're Caramel!"

Then to the tan one. "You're Crumb!"

Then once more to the grey one. "And you're Earl!"

She thinks for a bit on the dark grey one, then points one last time.

"And your name will be Baek!"

Feeling proud of her witty names, she gives each of them a pat on the head and clears her throat afterwards.

"We will be making an incredibly powerful weapon, at least by your standards! Brownie, supply a wide but short area of dirt!"

Brownie makes a large flat area of dirt, no higher than two inches tall. Alice begins drawing a shape inside the dirt, making a large and long sword drawn simply but not shoddily. "This is a Zweihander. Each of you will make your very own one of these with your respective material, and hand them over to me for testing."

Henry quickly chimes in to ask a question to Alice.

"Why a Zweihander specifically? Wouldn't a dagger be easy for them to wield, or perhaps make a broadsword or a shortsword instead since they're far simpler?"

Alice shakes her head. "Big guy, the answer is simple. Zweihanders are cool as hell and amazing. End of question."

Afte a few hours, the weapons are finally completed and brought to Alice for inspection. There's no doubt they all look like incredibly rough cardboard approximations of what a sword would be, made by a six year old. She should have expected this, but perhaps her expectations for magic were simply too high.

She swings the first one made of dirt against the wall. Durable and reliable. The gold standard. Or more specifically, the dirt standard.

She's handed the second one made of ceramic, which only takes about three hits to break. Not surprising, since it's usually just used for pots and plates, and obviously not swords.

For the third one, she's handed the blade of stone. She hits it across the wall a few times, and barely manages to crack it. It's really heavy though, so not as reliable as the dirt one.

And last, and certainly least, she's handed the glass sword, which shatters immediately as it strikes the wall. Incredibly unsurprising.

"Well, at least you tried, Crumb!" Alice says, giving it a complementary pat on the head. It seems she's just using every excuse in the book to touch their fur at this point.

Suddenly, Alice is struck with a genius idea. She walks over to the decently large flat area of dirt placed onto the stone floor, and wipes over it, replacing it with a simple straight line.

"Crumb and Baek, I'll get you to make some simple spears instead!"

The task is completed far faster than the last, and Alice is handed a bunch of long and thin cylindrical spears with one sharp end.

"Great! Just keep on producing as many of these as you can, and then hand them to Dibs for storage!" Alice commands, clearly not taking into account the fact that she's asking a squirrel to swallow glass spears.

She smiles to herself, and points towards the entrance.

"We'll take down whoever walks in here with sheer overwhelming firepower! Or... rock power! Man, I can't wait to get anything besides rocks and sand, it's so incredibly boring."

And so, prepared for another fight, hopefully against somebody pitiful enough to get stabbed by a bunch of fluffy little creatures you'd see on the side of cereal boxes in a foreign country, Alice wields her axe once more and sits by the entrance patiently. Everyone here is depending on her, after all!

3