Chapter 10 – The Fallen Fairy; Lydia Neverberry
26 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What stood before me was one of the most beautiful beings I’ve ever seen—a being from legends; A fairy. 

Beside her stood three young harpies quivering in fear as they gazed at me with horrified eyes. I didn’t know what to do, I never expected myself to be in this kind of situation. And the only words which came out of my mouth were…

“Uh…hello?”

The harpies moved further behind…they hid behind the fairy. When we think about fairies, we think that there are those tiny little beings who fly from flower to flower. But in this world, fairies have different ranks, and their size differs according to their ranks. Lower-ranking fairies are the small fairies who fly around playing pranks and sometimes they help humans on a whim. 

And higher-ranking fairies are the size of humans, and they can change their size and appearance however they want. They rarely mingle with humans, and it’s considered a miracle to be able to gaze upon a high-ranking fairy. And one of those legendary beings is right in front of me…

The fairy looked into my eyes, her glistening purple eyes piercing into my own. I felt chills running down my spine as if she were gazing within me…

“You could feel it, couldn’t you?”

Her voice resonated through my head as if she were talking into my head. A soothing voice that touched my soul.

“…y-yes…”

A smile crossed her lips and she looked at me with a warm gaze. 

“Hello…my name is Lydia Neverberry, my child. As you can see, I’m a fairy, and these children here are the little harpies I’m looking after, the blue child here is Rin, the green one’s name is Molly, and the pink child is Daisy.”

“Neverberry…? Oh! Um…sorry for not introducing myself. My name is Lucius Winterberry. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

A drop of tears rolled down her eyes at my words…

“Winterberry? I see…thank goodness…so you're one of the boys’ descendants…”

“Descendants?  Have you met one of my ancestors, Lady Lidia?”

She nodded at my question.

“My child…would you do me a favor?”

“Anything you wish, Lady Lydia…”

I know that this was the first time I’d met her, but for some reason, I felt like I was related to her in some way…

So, I wanted to do anything I could for her…

“I want you to save these children, Lucius…”

“I will surely hurry back home, and I’ll bring the nights as soon as possible-…”

“We don’t have time for that my child. And you are the only one who can inherit my powers.”

“But I’m sure that my father would-…”

“The humans let us live even if that were to happen...humans are horrible creatures…”

She’s right…the nobles wouldn’t let go of harpies that easily if they caught one. The feather of harpies is believed to be able to heal large injuries in an instant. And their voices are considered only second to siren. And even their claws are considered the sharpest of weapons.

There are chances that even the imperial family might try to capture these kids…

“Lucius…there isn’t much time left for me…I know the burden I’m putting on your child. You can hate me for everything that will happen to you, but I need you to grant me this one wish…”

“Why would I hate you?”

“I want you to save both me and these children…but the pain I’m putting you through can never be forgiven. I’m sorry Lucius…” 

“I don’t care what happens to me…I don’t care how much pain I have to go through…as long as I can save you…nothing else matters…”

I have no idea why I’m treating her like someone I've known for years…it feels like I was born in this world to fulfill her wish…

“Please forgive me for taking advantage of your kindness child…I’m sorry…I know that you have an erg to save my life. The feelings you have are the price for the help I’ve given your ancestors.”

“I don’t mind it. If you’ve helped my ancestors in any way. It is my duty as a member of the Winterberry family to help you, lady Lydia.”

She turned to the harpies next to her and pointed at me while telling them something. 

“Lucius, I want you to inherit my powers. That’s the only way you’d be able to protect these children. My powers have almost depleted and there is no other way for me to save them. I promised that I would protect them even if it cost me my life.”

“You will be able to inherit my powers by drinking my blood.”

“Blood?”

I looked at her with wide eyes.

Why blood?

“Wait! Haven’t you realized?”

“Realized…what?”

“…You…are a vampire, my child…”

“…A…Vampire?”

“That’s right. Normal people wouldn’t be able to contain my powers. It would be impossible to contain my powers even for these children.”

“Wai-wait! What do you mean by a vampire? My parents are both humans. There’s no way I’d be a vampire!”

“You weren’t born as a vampire, child. You evolved into one. It seems like something has affected your soul, resulting in your sudden evolution into a vampire. Haven’t you realized the changes in your body?”

I knew that there were a lot of changes in my body after my memories of Nagano Hazuki entered my body, but I never knew that It’d turn me into a different race. I always thought that the sudden increase in my physical strength and magic were some perks of being reincarnated or something.

…I never expected that this was what had happened…

“We don’t have much time Lucius…please…you have to drink my blood before the humans above find out…”

There’s a lot I wanna think about, but now’s not the time…if the people in the tavern were to come downstairs, we won’t be able to do anything…

“…I…understand…”

I get closer to Lydia and kneel next to her. She pierces her hand with her sharp nails and purple blood starts to flow down her hand. She held her hand above me wide open mouth, while I stared at her purple-colored blood.

I could taste the sweet blood that seeps through my lungs. As I gulped down her blood, I could feel my body heating up. As if some kind of energy was entering my body…my whole body felt so suffocating, but I didn’t stop…I keep on drinking her blood. 

My eyes turned blood red…and I could feel my canines growing longer with every sip of blood I took.

It feels like my bones are being crushed!!!... I can’t take this anymore…

And the moment I was done drinking Lydia’s blood, her purple wings started to shine brightly, while purple butterflies started to come out of her back, her wings slowly vanishing. And slowly her whole body started to turn into butterflies the cell we were in was covered in butterflies.

“L-Lydia?! What’s going on?!”

“P-please…forgive me…Lucius…”

“N-no! W-wait!”

And the harpies next to me were as confused as I was. Tears started dripping from their eyes and they were shouting at Lydia. I didn’t know what they were saying. But I knew that they were devastated…

“Please…p-protect the kids…and please tell Blanche that I’m sorry…for leaving her…all alone…”

Her body slowly turned into a flock of butterflies and covered the cell we were in. And the moment her body vanished, the butterflies around us entered my chest in an instant. I could feel the pressure and the pain in my heart as they entered me.

It’s as if they are merging with my soul…and my red eyes…the vampires’ eyes…turned purple…Just like Lydia’s eyes…

0