3. Caseworkers and Curses
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Layla brought up a chart.

“I must reiterate. The Schema and Nexus don’t use terms like mage, knight, brute, or rogue. These are classifications created by your people and media for the sake of Apocalypse Arena groupings and sensalization. We only drew this up so your kind will better understand the abilities available to them. Your attribute spread, and in-born potentials determine them.”

It did a decent job of summarizing how things worked, relating Earth's classification of powers to the rarely discussed attributes.

 

Primary

Secondary

Tertiary

Classification

Might

Finesse

 

Brute

Finesse

Might

Spark

Knight

Finesse

Mind

 

Rogue

Mind

Spark

 

Mage

Spark

Mind

 

Summoner

Finesse/Might

Spark

Mind

Arcane Warrior

Finesse

Mind

Spark

Artisan

The list went on. Much to Nil’s disappointment, he saw no discipline or classification that had Spark as a primary attribute and Finesse as the secondary.

“What abilities you’re offered is in the Schema’s hands. Unfortunately, all your attributes besides Spark are low to middling. I almost understand why you weren’t summoned before. Platinum potential is certainly impressive, but you don’t have anything to supplement it.”

“The Schema says I have Silver Realm potential in Finesse. Is that no good?”

Layla’s eyes betrayed a hint of pity. “It's very ordinary, to be honest. Spark is a great attribute since it deems your ability's potency, but you need more to accompany it.”

“Well, that sucks balls.” Nil sighed.

“All hope is not lost. The Schema is never wrong. If it says you have incredible potential, there must be something about you we haven’t discussed or noticed yet. A high natural Spark and potential isn’t enough for summoning.”

Layla’s eyes turned pink. Several devices floated off her shelves and took up orbit around Nil. Some flashed lights at him. One drew his blood. Another zapped him with a light electric shock, almost making him jump out of his chair. Another cast a line of light across his body that slowly traveled from his feet upwards. It froze halfway across his forearms.

“Why do you have an unformed soul weapon?” Layla asked, jumping up from her chair. “And why in Yggdrasil’s name is it brimming with cursed energy?”

“Soul weapon?” Nil’s eyes widened at the mention of the phrase. He had only heard them in reference to Apocalypse Arena. They involved magical devices and weapons the combatants flashed during their bouts. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“My scanner says you have had an unformed soul weapon for just over seven years.” Layla straightened her dress and returned to her seat. “The Schema assures me there are no Cursed Ones on your earth yet. I apologize for the reaction.”

“You’re throwing jargon at me that doesn’t mean anything, Layla.”

“The Nexus and Schema exist to fight the Void’s influence on mortal plains and eliminate the Cursed Ones. They’re beings born of twisted, arcane forces, negative emotion, and corruption. You’ll occasionally come across quests that involve defeating or avoiding these entities. Neither threat exists in your world. It’s why 2007’s cataclysm wasn’t as bad as it could’ve been.”

“I mean, we only lost a billion people. Middle East, Northern Africa, and Central South America are hellscapes full of monsters and inhospitable to humans.” Nil’s words dripped with sarcasm. In hindsight, treating Layla well was in his best interests, but minimizing the global horror from his early teen years felt moronic. “Sure. You can say the cataclysm wasn’t so bad.”

Layla ignored the jibe and carried on with her explanation. “The Schema theorizes an individual smuggled cursed energy into your world, and you somehow absorbed it and contained it in that soul weapon.” She leaned over the table, studying Nil’s eyes and face. Layla waved in the air, and a screen appeared. “Did something happen seven years ago? It seems like both came to you at the same time. Soul weapons can often gain sentience. They develop a mind and personality of their own. The Schema says a part of the cursed energy has merged with this weapon’s mind. It doesn’t seem to be physically harming you, though.”

Haunting Visage.

Nil glanced at the woman exploring Layla’s office. The caseworker appeared not to have noticed her. At least now Nil knew it wasn’t hallucinations or some sort of mental illness. Dr Mendez had spent hours talking to him. Nil had undergone brain scans and spent months on sickening medication that left him numb and robbed him of any and all motivation and creativity. Nothing made the visage go away. Nil felt somewhat relieved to know the woman in the blood-soaked parka and ripped jeans wasn’t just a figment of imagination. He wasn’t schizophrenic or suffering from any similar ailment. It was his ailment.

“I’m cursed.” Nil chuckled.

“It's not a laughing matter, Mr Roy,” Layla said.

“I know. It's just a relief to know that this Haunting Visage is a product of cursed energy and a soul weapon. Not just my imagination.” He slowly exhaled and refocused on the matter at hand. Nil thought it best to ignore Layla’s question regarding the event seven-and-a-half years prior. “So, what does this mean for me? Does this weapon even the odds? Does it mean I can get decent abilities and have a good life as a Summoned?”

“Not quite. It explains why the Schema and Nexus haven’t noticed you all of this time. A man of your qualities is certainly desirable. You can’t use your soul weapon unless we repurpose or purge this cursed energy. It's generally not advisable, but I could use your bonus to turn a portion of it into an attribute boost.

“Cursed and negative energy is a semi-regular part of Summoned life. When treated right and contained, it's not the worst of things. You can repurpose it into something helpful, but—”

“You also need to take a negative trait to go with it,” Nil said, completing the thought for her. “There was a time long, long ago when I had the time for video games. I understand the concept. Before taking such a step, can I see what powers I have available to me now?”

“Unfortunately, not. Generation of power seeds is a one-time event for each individual Summoned. Typically, cursed energy, negative traits, and bonuses come afterward. The Schema is offering you a bonus for the service that takes capital and several reagents. We can’t do more than that at this time. I'll be honest with you. The attribute spread doesn't give me much hope. You'll end up with mage or summoner discipline powers with not enough Mind to make the most of them. The same goes for rogue or artisan abilities.” Layla leaned over the table again. Even though none but the visage invisible to her walked the room, she continues in a hushed tone. “I abhor cursed energy and the negative trait system. However, as your case worker and after observing your actions during the pre-summoning event, I want nothing but your survival and success. A curse might also positively affect the pool of your available abilities.”

“Fine.” Nil sighed. “What kind of curses can I take on?”

“You need something that will positively affect your lagging attributes and their potential. Ideally, it needs to be something that can be overcome with your power selection. I can tabulate the best available.”

“Before we continue, how does potential work?”

“It's your growth rate in the attribute. Also Silver potential in Finesse means you'll get maximum returns until the Silver Realm. Afterward, the attribute will give you diminishing returns. Since your Mind’s potential is only Iron Realm, I’d suggest we focus on Might and Finesse.”

“Very well.”

l Fear The Iron Maiden: Wearing any form of armor, conjured or manufactured, will induce mind-numbing pain. Ignoring the curse’s warnings will cause spikes to dig outwards from your bones and through your skin slowly.
Bonus: Might ranks increased by two. Potential increased by one stage.

Armsmaster’s Disappointment: Wielding any weapons besides one’s body or fist weapons with the intent of use will haunt you with memories of failure and slowly drain your motor skills.
Bonus: Finesse increased by one. Potential increased by one stage.

Fae-Touched: The fae know your true name and may use it to demand favors from you. Rejection will result in the loss of treasured memories and intense psychic trauma. They have stolen a fragment of your potential but sharpened your Mind in exchange.
Bonus: Mind increased by three. Potential increased by two stages, but Spark potential reduced by one.

“I'll get in trouble if I try to influence your decision, but be advised that tangling with the fae and owing them favors is never a good idea,” Layla said. “Mind is your weakest attribute. Letting it remain that way is not the worst of options. The trait might give you a chance at magedom or summoning, but the cost isn’t worth it.”

“I don't want to start my Summoned career tied to anyone in such a way,” Nil said. “Besides, it feels foolish to affect my best attribute to empower another negatively.”

“Good.” Layla appeared relieved. “People have made worse decisions for the chance of wielding magic. Do either of the other two appeal to you?”

“Armsmaster’s Disappointment feels like an automatic winner. Sure, a weapon would grant reach. I'm just below average height. My punches and kicks only go so far. However, I'd like to think that seven years of training during the prime of my life has made me better at hand-to-hand combat than I could ever get with weapons. Meanwhile, armor feels essential if I want to fight at melee range and stay alive.”

“Not necessarily,” Layla said. “Because of your high Spark, a decent power can compensate for your lacking Might or Finesse, making up for whatever shortcoming you have. Talking about my other cases is typically bad form, but I know a Summoned with the Arcane-Warrior discipline with high Finesse and Spark with a fondness for melee combat. The Schema deemed him appropriate for a close-range barrier power. It gives him enough protection to never get weighed down by armor. The barriers and exploding them gives him sufficient offensive power, too.”

“So, he can invest in his Finesse and Spark and not worry about falling behind in durability or raw offensive power.”

“Precisely. Again. I never gave you this example.” Nil mimed zipping his lips shut and a soft giggle out of Layla. Meanwhile, the visage rolled her eyes from across the room. “The real question is whether you want to lean into your current strength or increase your Might and its potential for a more balanced power and start.”

“What determines speed and agility?”

“They're a combination of Might and Finesse. The first leans towards Might and the latter toward Finesse.”

“I'll focus on my strengths then.”

Might— Mortal 4 | Potential: Bronze
Finesse— Mortal 6 | Potential Gold
Mind— Mortal 3 | Potential: Iron
Spark— Mortal 9 | Potential Platinum

Schema Tokens: 2

Curses:

Haunting Visage— The visage of a dead loved one possesses your soul weapon. They will linger around you, and the seed in your arm may attempt to communicate with you through it. Manifesting the weapon will absorb the visage into it.

Armsmaster’s Disappointment: An ancestor's poor weapon skills have drawn the Armsmaster’s ire. Wielding with intent of use any weapon other than your body or fist weapons will haunt you and slowly drain motor skills.

“I'd suggest investing the Schema Tokens in Might. Starting numbers have almost equal weighting in the available pool of powers as your potential. Six is just above average for your people's starting physical attributes, and your unfortunate build puts you below it.”

“Can't I use it to ascend Spark to the Iron Realm?” Nil asked.

Layla shook her head. “Those require Ascension Tokens. Only quests and trading in the Nexus Market will get you those.”

“And unless my prior knowledge is incorrect, I can't access the market until power and two attributes ascend.”

“Correct. That's a mark of you as an individual ascending to a higher realm of existence.”

“Fine.” Nil sighed. He used both of his Schema tokens, increasing his Might score by two. “Let's pick a power and start my first quest.”

“Great! This is my favorite bit. Are you excited?”

Nil nodded. “I would’ve been more seven years ago.” Nil smiled, eyes drifting past his caseworker to the visage behind her. “I never expected to become a Summoned after entering my late twenties. You could say I developed a degree of resentment and hatred, too.”

“I won’t advise you on the folly of hate. That’s not my job, and I doubt you’d appreciate it coming from me. So, how about we just see what the Schema births for you.”

Sonic Armament: Grow more sensitive to sonic stimuli, hearing sounds most humans wouldn’t notice. Consume calories to enhance your strikes with sonic pulses, disturbing your opponent’s inner ear and organs. Supercharging sonic armament will significantly increase its destructive power, allowing damage to bones and inorganic material. However, supercharging only lasts fifteen seconds and will disable Sonic Armament for an hour afterward.
Primary Finesse, Secondary Spark

Brutal Battery: Your body will become a battery and gain the paired abilities of Absorb and Expend. Channeling the first will let you absorb all physical attacks and trauma you might suffer. Expend will let you empower your movements and release stored energy through touch. Absorb and Expend may not activate simultaneously, and neither will hamper movement.
Primary Spark, Secondary Finesse, Tertiary Might

Serpent Tactics: Gain serpent-like flexibility, speed, and stealth. You may secrete venom from your palms, soles, and nails. Your blood and flesh are also poisonous.
Finesse further improves the altered physiology.
Spark increases the potency and volume of produced toxins.

It didn’t take Nil long to make a decision, and then they picked his first quest.

0