7, Rewards For A Job Well Done
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mila cried for most of their journey out of the building. Remains of the deceased littered the halls. They passed her half-siblings and staff, who had served the house since before her birth. Some lay in pieces, while the remaining displayed signs of brief reanimation. Instead of heading straight to the exit, they visited her father’s remains. Baron Stark’s pocketwatch was a family keepsake and vital for accessing their family’s treasuries and hidden caches. She made incoherent promises through quiet sobbing and hugged him one last time before they descended the stairs.

The newly appointed baroness almost collapsed when she reached the bottom of the stairs and found Ilsa’s twisted remains. Her claws and fangs had reverted to their former state. Mila kissed the dead woman’s cheek, and blabbering cries appropriate for a girl her age followed. Despite the pain racking his body and the mind-numbing discomfort of his right arm, he waited patiently. Fortunately, Mila didn’t mourn for long, and they exited the keep together.

“Where will you go?” Nil asked as they approached the stables. He knew nothing about horses, but they appeared calm and unharmed.

“My mother’s ancestral estate is one-and-a-half days’ ride east of here,” she answered. “Grandfather will take care of me and send word to my fiance. We'll scour the fort together once he arrives with his knights and ensure no curses or other ancient terrors are haunting it.”

“You have a fiance?” Nil raised an eyebrow. “Are you even thirteen?”

“I’m eleven. I’m unsure how they do it in your world, but we nobles are engaged young but only marry after reaching adulthood at sixteen.”

“Well, I’m glad you won’t be all alone. Ride safe. Alright?” He thought it best not to talk about Earth's morality and laws. His morals and beliefs had no place in the alien world. He had no duties beyond completing his quest.

“I’ll try my best.” Mila smiled. “If I make it, we’ll see each other again.”

“Oh? Will you request me specifically for quests? Is that possible?”

The noblewoman shrugged. “My betrothed is a prince. He’ll be king someday, and I his queen. Royals issue quests all the time. I bet they have the means to request specific Summoneds. You’re the first of your kind I’ve met, you know.”

“In case it wasn’t obvious, this was my first quest.”

“That explains a lot. However, you slew a Cursed One on your first outing. Something tells me you have a brilliant future.”

Mila hugged Nil one last time before saddling her horse. Now that the adrenaline rush had run its course, his ribs hurt even more. They unlocked the kennels, and Mila left the fort’s grounds. The family’s hounds followed her. It intrigued Nil how the Cursed One had only targeted humans and left all the animals alone. He suspected such entities would appear in future quests, and Nil needed to learn more about them.

A Schema message appeared in front of Nil’s eyes as Mila disappeared over a hill, and the world turned white. When color returned a heartbeat later, a fountain as big as Trafalgar Square’s centerpiece stood before him. The ceiling and surrounding architecture told him the Schema had returned him to the Nexus. Dozens stood around the titanic structure, talking amongst themselves or interacting with invisible Schema interfaces. 

The Fountain of Pirene senses your injuries. Would you like to receive healing?

4 Schema Credits will remove all your bruises and partially heal all lacerations and burns.

13 Schema Credits will heal all of your injuries.

15 Schema Credits will heal all ailments.

Nil didn’t know what health problems he had but had heard and read about the fountain’s capabilities. More experienced Summoned reported using it to cure cancer, auto-immune diseases, and chronic illnesses. It was more expensive than using the strained and currently underfunded National Health Service and offered infinitely better results.

Despite the cost, Nil opted for the third option. All of his aches and pains immediately faded. New, unblemished skin replaced the stinging, burnt patches, and breathing became easier as well. The tension between his eyes eased. Nil wasn’t aware of any sinus issues but guessed the fountain had fixed whatever problem he had. He wished the Summoned had gained the privilege of bringing guests to the Nexus. He would’ve loved to rid his father of his chronic pain and perhaps cure his diabetes.

“Good job, Nil!” Layla exclaimed, making Nil jump. The fountain’s effects and possibilities intrigued him so much that he had momentarily lost track of the world around him. “The Schema was right to invest in you—” She paused, looking at the other Summoned in the area. It was Layla’s ego copy that had approached him. He guessed they weren’t used to seeing her out in the open. Talk of the Schema investing in someone probably wasn’t ordinary either. “How about we talk in my office? It's customary to meet with your caseworker following the first quest.”

Arrows directed Nil down crowded hallways and down a set of stairs. Fellow Summoned shot Nil angry glances when he bumped into them while following the Schema's directions. It took a handful of minutes to find Layla’s office.

“How much do you know about the Schema and how things work around here?” Layla asked when he claimed the seat opposite her.

“I know that we can pick available quests through the Schema interface at any time and must complete one at least every eight weeks,” Nil answered. “If there is a quest perfectly suited for me, the Schema will notify me.”

“So, not a lot then. That’s alright. You’re new, and I’ll update you whenever necessary. You’re mostly right about how quest issuing works, but the eight-week interval isn’t a hard barrier. The gap increases with service; long quests often come with longer breaks. However, you need to take a week off between quests, be in a reasonably calm state, and not be in physical contact with another living entity for the summoning to occur. Also, there is a minimum eight-week break between your first and second quest. Its to prevent the overly eager from rushing and getting themselves killed. Not enough people take time to adapt their powers or increased attributes.” Layla leaned back in her chair and smiled. “That’s not what I wanted to discuss, though. This meeting is regarding your performance.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t do better,” Nil said. “It took me far too long to figure out the timings right, and I’m afraid my martial abilities aren’t yet adapted to Brutal Battery. Maybe I could’ve saved more people if I were more skilled.”

“What are you talking about, Nil?” Layla laughed. “You went above and beyond all expectations. Your actions unlocked a new possible future for this world.”

“I’m not sure I follow.”

“The Fates and the Schema are closely tied. We consult with them to forecast the outcome of the quest and how the actions of the Summoned might affect the world. The chances of Mila Stark perishing were unusually high.”

“Are you saying the Schema set me up for failure?” Nil frowned. “That’s a bit twisted, don’t you think.”

“Oh, not at all. This was a Mortal-Five quest. You were forecasted to have a seventy-percent chance of success. We believed Mila would flee the fort and make a beeline for her grandfather’s home. Unfortunately, the Cursed One would use the day to recuperate and grow stronger after digesting all it consumed. It would wake up faster and follow her scent after sunset.

“The Fates believed the Cursed One would find her on the outskirts of a hamlet and kill her and most of the residents. The survivors would spread the news, spreading rage and fear. In this possible future, her grandfather and fiance’s family would launch a campaign to eliminate the Cursed One and establish an organization to seek out all like it.”

“So, her death was to be a catalyst for greater change,” Nil stated.

“Exactly. Now, the Fates predict Mila will be the herald of change. You inspired her and showed her even the weak and meek can challenge and defeat a Cursed One. Mila will spend the next decade training as a mage and join the campaign to cleanse the land. She might become a warrior queen someday and save more lives. Your actions didn’t just save her life, Nil. You might’ve birthed a brighter possible future for the kingdom.”

Nil opened his mouth, but no words came out. He had only thought of the benefits the Summoned enjoyed and never thought about what impact their quests and actions could have. He thought he was doing nothing more than preventing a young noblewoman’s death. Nil didn’t expect the act—especially killing the monster—to have such an incredible impact.

“You also killed a high-Iron-rank foe,” Layla continued. “Dumb luck probably had a lot to do with your victory, but the Schema believes you displayed incredible grit, courage, and wits. As a result, it's upgrading your reward.”

A notification appeared when Layla flicked a finger.

Reward upgraded!

You may choose from the following on top of the promised Schema Token:

 

  • 3 Schema Tokens
  • 1 Ascension Token
  • Curse and Attribute Bonus

 

“This is going to be a challenging decision,” Nil commented. “I know you’re not allowed to help me, but I imagine Schema Tokens are a bad idea.”

“Why turn down better rewards for attributes you can raise with training and quests?” Layla smiled. “That’s what I would ask myself.”

“I suppose the curse is the best pick—”

“It would be for a more experienced and an ascended climber. Someone who can deal with the drawback of curses more easily and easily counters them. If it were my decision—which it's not, I’d jump at the opportunity of getting an Ascension Token.”

“And ascending Spark straight away?” 

Layla shrugged. “When I got my first ascension token, I did that but later discovered that the token can ascend two peaked attributes simultaneously or one’s ability. Can you imagine how disappointed I was?”

“You were a Summoned, too?” Nil asked, surprised. “How long have you served the Nexus?”

“We aren’t allowed to talk about things like that,” she replied, waving dismissively. “Besides, it's rude to ask a lady time-related questions, especially when such concepts don’t exist here, and it's up to us to track how long we’ve been single.”

“Right. So, I should pick the Ascension Token and hold on to it.” Nil sighed. “So, no replies but Schema tokens. That’s disappointing.”

“Don’t forget about your Schema Token!” She said. “You can increase one of your physical attributes to make the quest even easier.”

Nil picked the Ascension Token and checked his attribute menu. A new Schema Token awaited him. He thought about it for a moment before investing it in Might. Since he had Gold potential in Finesse, raising it with training would be easier. The accompanying physical attribute would take a lot more effort and have proven itself invaluable. He needed it to power through burns and exhaustion. He was sure the Cursed One’s blow would’ve left him significantly injured without the additional Might.

“So, these Cursed Ones. I imagine they’re fonts of cursed energy.”

Layla nodded.

“Could creatures like them exist in Earth’s desolate areas? Maybe the cursed energy that plagues my arm came from such a source.”

“Impossible. The Schema would know. We have agents patrolling and studying your world to look out for the Void and Cursed Ones, too. No such existences have infiltrated your earth. Someone smuggled it onto your Earth, and it somehow ended up causing whatever event birthed your soul weapon and the energy plaguing it.”

“And what precisely is the process of getting rid of it?” Nil asked. “It's kind of frustrating to know I have a soul weapon but can’t use it.”

“I’m afraid I can’t do anything until you ascend past the Mortal ranks,” Layla answered. “We need resources to complete the service, or you need to complete a task noteworthy enough to gift you the privilege. I wouldn’t rush it. Anyway, you can’t manifest a soul weapon until you’re in Iron Realm. There are means of passing it between containers, but—”

“But I need to ascend to use it.” Nil sighed. “I get it.”

“However, I could teach you how to sense cursed energy. Given your long-time exposure, it shouldn’t be too challenging for you. That way, you can avoid sources and ensure the burden doesn’t get any bigger.”

“I’d like that very much, Layla. Thank you.”

0