Chapter 21 — A Mission Given
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Azreal, finally cleansed of the blood that stained his entire body, is amazed to see his body has fully recovered. "The Twin Harmony Pill is amazing. I wonder how powerful pills can truly become." Finding the outer disciple robes Lin Xue prepared for him beside the bath, Azreal, now donning his new robes, steps outside and back into the isolated training ground.

He raises his hand to shield his eyes from the morning sun as it peaks over the mountainside and takes a deep, refreshing breath. "The sun is warm, and the air is crisp; truly, this mountainside is a beautiful place to live," mutters Azreal. Collecting his thoughts and ensuring he is well-presented, Azreal walks towards the Unbound Pavilion's headquarters.

Winding his way up the stone brick mountain pathway, which joins the isolated training area to the rest of the Unbound's training grounds, he is struck by the sight and sound of a bustling training ground. Unlike his last visit, when he would have seen only about fifty disciples, the number of disciples currently filling the Unbound Pavilion's training grounds exceeds two thousand.

"This Sect is far bigger than I ever imagined. I really am an ant if these disciples are all inner disciples of my Pavilion," Azreal mutters to himself. As he weaves his way through the crowds of disciples, Azreal notices the range of training taking place in this space is mind-boggling, with over thirty Unbound Pavilion Elders leading lectures or directly training a group of inner disciples. Azreal catches glimpses of a couple of the Elders, trying to listen in as he passes by. The Elder lectures cover a range of topics from affinity training and monster strengths and weaknesses to teamwork.

One Elder is screeching about the importance of being adequately prepared for as many situations as possible. "The last thing any of you should want is to run out of equipment and die to something easily avoidable. We have lost countless talents to the dangerous world outside the Sect walls. You are not better than they were; you will die without being prepared. Today, I will be teaching…" The Elder's words fade into the background as Azreal continues his way towards the Headquarters.

Spotting two familiar figures, Lin Xue and Xin Hao, standing near a small stone wall with a wooden gateway, the common entrance to Headquarters, they both smile and wave Azreal over, Lin Xue's cheeks turning a slight shade of red. "Glad you're here early. As our most promising new disciple, you should be setting the standard! When I was a new disciple, I looked at the most promising student in my disciple intake with eyes mixed with pride and envy, and without him, I wouldn't be standing here. It is devastating that he is no longer with us," says Xin Hao, with a shade of loss crossing his usually calm face.

"It's not a small job, being the disciple with the highest talents. You will face envy, anger, and heavy responsibilities, but I have faith in you. I believe that you lack the arrogance that often taints and corrupts the greatest talents of the first heavens!" says Xin Hao, his pride in the Unbound Pavilion and his desire for Azreal to lead the newer generation evident in his wide smile and determined gaze.

"Xin Hao! Stop putting too much pressure on Azreal. He will become what he needs to in due time. But I want to look good in front of Master Juhee. Let's not waste another second here and move inside the audience chamber; the Elders and Master Juhee will be waiting," snaps Lin Xue, rolling her eyes at Xin Hao’s overconfidence.

Excitement and nerves rack Azreal’s body as he follows his two senior disciples into the depths of the headquarters. The trio makes their way to the dais where Elder Juhee is seated on her golden throne-like chair, each of them kneeling and giving their respects to Elder Juhee, her smile widening as she observes the trio, noting the glances Lin Xue shoots Azreal’s way. The trio moves to the side of her dais and stands in a line next to Elder Tulia, just before the first step.

Inside the audience chamber, a group of Elders stands deadly still, yet their glances exert pressure, causing Azreal’s knee to buckle, making him catch himself on Xin Hao’s shoulder. A long ten minutes pass, during which Azreal can feel the Elders in the room analysing his every breath. Relief only arrives when four Elders arrive, each guiding a group of ten new outer disciples into the headquarters and moving them to the left side of the audience chamber. Each new disciple is in awe of the headquarters and the powerful Elders surrounding the room, their eyes widening to ensure they burn the visual of their new home into their mindscape.

A few of the new disciples began to spot Azreal, wearing the same outfit as themselves, indicating he is an outer disciple, and hushed whispers spread like wildfire. Until one of the disciples, attempting to whisper and due to his own nervousness, shouts, "That's the man who was taken in by Master Juhee. I saw him annihilate his duelling partners yesterday. He lacks refined skill, but his raw power was terrifying for someone as young as us." All the disciples and a few Elders turn to face the young disciple, whose face turns pale, causing his stature to shrink.

The silence in the room is abruptly cracked by Vice Leader Qiang pushing aside a large ornate door located behind the Pavilion Leader's golden throne. "What happened here?" Vice Leader Qiang questions, turning his eyes to Elder Juhee. "Ah, you, the young boy with the red face, attempted to whisper and ended up shouting," Elder Juhee says, a small laugh escaping her lips as she locks eyes with the young disciple.

"Do not fret. We are not the same kind of place as the Crimson Sword Pavilion. Here we welcome all those we see with talent, no matter your family, bloodline, or confidence. If we see potential, we welcome you. Many of you gathered here today have come from backgrounds that are considered nothing by others." Elder Juhee stands and makes her way down the grand steps her throne-like chair sits upon.

"I was just like you, a new disciple with no family backing and no money in my pockets. I joined the Sect and was forced to join the Crimson Sword Pavilion. I was belittled, bullied, and assaulted by those with 'powerful backgrounds'." Elder Juhee's words are filled with venom.

"Those who use their families' work as their own are nothing short of shameful and a disgrace to the Sect! I created the Unbound Pavilion to support those like myself who need a guiding light. This does not mean you can take it easy. If you believe this will be easier and that is why you are here, I demand you reconsider. This is my Pavilion, where I rule, where I will forge you all into cultivators that will make yourself and those you consider special feel a sense of pride," Elder Juhee’s words send shivers down the disciples' spines.

She turns and points directly at Azreal. "Each of you is wondering what is so special about that outer disciple, why is he standing next to inner court disciples, and not with us! Why is that not me? Why wasn't I chosen?" Azreal, feeling their interest in him rise higher than ever before, attempts to step back, wishing to slink away from the eyes of everyone in the audience.

However, just as he starts his attempt to stand, he feels a slender, warm hand on his shoulder. "This is the moment, Azreal, stand tall and stand proud. You're getting a target on your back; you need to use the target as a way to forge yourself, use this to sharpen your mind and body. Those new disciples will either follow you into the depths of hell or become hell itself. If you back away now, they will take every step forward you do not," Lin Xue whispers.

Azreal, taking a moment to consider his options, forces an awkward smile. "You may feel envy or jealousy towards his situation, but just think, would you want everyone standing beside you, your new brothers and sisters, to be after your position and have their hearts already filled with disdain?" Vice Leader Qiang chimes in, sensing the animosity growing in the air.

Many of the disciples nod their heads in agreement with Vice Leader Qiang’s words. "Thank you, Vice Leader Qiang. Now, onto the boring introductions. I am a Great Elder of the Heavenly Root Sect and the Pavilion Leader of the Unbound Pavilion. I would prefer you just call me Elder Juhee while inside the Unbound Pavilion's grounds, and Great Elder Juhee when we are not. I do not care for honorifics, but the Sect Master is a strict man and demands the entire Sect show respect to the Great Elders and Pavilion Leaders," Elder Juhee's words are kind and welcoming.

"Over the next week, if one of the Elders assesses you to be strong enough to take on a mission, you will be assigned a very basic initial task to complete for the Sect. This task will be a wide range of activities, and each of you will be tasked with something specific to do. There are no freeloaders in our Sect; we have been a part of the Three Heavenly Beginnings for the last five thousand years. And we take pride that each and every disciple is useful and can contribute to the Sect's prosperity," she continues, a heavy breath leaving her lips before she adds, "I welcome you to your new world of cultivation! I cannot wait to see what you all become." Each of the Elders who brought the new disciples leads them outside the audience chamber.

"Master Juhee, do I need to follow them? And what did you mean by position?" Azreal enquires after Juhee returns to her seat and looks in his direction. "I have formally taken you in as my personal disciple, Azreal. Did you not think that was a high position?" Elder Juhee replies. Azreal, staring into her beautiful purple eyes, feels a sense of guilt rising from the pit of his stomach.

"I should have told you, so I suppose this is my fault," Elder Juhee admits with a small sigh, finding his guilt-laden face difficult to look at. A small cascade of whispers can barely be heard as the remaining Elders inside reel at her admission of guilt. "Quiet! You will not whisper about Great Elder Juhee!" Vice Leader Qiang shouts. The Elders of the Unbound Pavilion immediately fall silent, giving a small bow to Great Elder Juhee. With a wave of her hand, the Elders begin to move out of the audience chamber, shame clear on their faces.

"I fear for the disciples who will receive their lesson today. Each of them holds respect and their reputation as of utmost importance. Their shame will be taken out on the disciples in their lessons," Xin Hao says. Lin Xue, nodding her head, recalls her harshest lessons coming from Elders who misspoke in front of Vice Leader Qiang, who has a reputation for demanding perfection.

"Master, please do not blame yourself. I am the only one to blame. I am not up to the standard you view of me. I fear my own failures; I fear having to succeed," Azreal says, his voice echoing in the now-empty audience chamber. The only people left are the two inner disciples, Xin Hao and Lin Xue, Elder Juhee, Elder Tulia, and Vice Leader Qiang.

"Do not blame yourself, Azreal. As my personal disciple, you assume a position of power within the Unbound Pavilion. You have been chosen to become one of the Sect's Chosen Disciples, among those who manage to show their incredible potential during the entrance examination and entrance duels," Elder Juhee says. Walking over to Azreal, she smiles before continuing,

 "These disciples, if suitable, will become personal disciples to a Pavilion Leader or Great Elder of the Sect and, if they become strong enough within the Sect, will be granted a title indicating their role in the Sect. The two behind you are also my personal disciples. Xin Hao is the Herald Disciple. His role is to train and bolster the disciples within the outer and inner courts. His ability to have the disciples under control and motivated is second to none. Lin Xue is my Guardian Disciple. She is the blade defending my Unbound Pavilion. I use her for any fights that involve the younger generation and disciple disputes which Elders do not need to be involved in. I want you to be aware that each Pavilion Leader, and each Great Elder has the power to take in one of these disciples every three years. However, there are rarely this many good seedlings available."

Azreal stares absently at his Master's face for a moment. "I hope to live up to your expectations, Master Juhee. Hopefully, I can achieve a title soon," he says. Vice Leader Qiang walks to stand beside Elder Juhee. "We've seen glimpses of your prowess, and I believe that a disciple such as yourself will be limited if bound to the walls of this Sect. So, Elder Tulia, Elder Juhee, and I decided to send you on a mission," said Vice Leader Qiang.

Azreal could swear he saw a glint of anger in Vice Leader Qiang's eyes as he addressed him. "Am I even ready to take on missions outside the Sect walls? Don't most disciples take missions from the locals before being sent out on their own?" Azreal asks, his voice quivering slightly.

"Lin Xue has advised me you lasted an hour under her skill, Total Eclipse. If you can survive that, I trust you will be able to undertake the missions we assign you," Elder Juhee replies. "Your first mission will be an easy one to start. Your task is to rescue a pair of second-level Martial Adept outer disciples who have gone to the local village of Lihan, after hearing rumours of a rogue cultivator known as The Crimson Fang Orpald. He is known for hunting young disciples from various Sects and using their blood in his rituals. The Sect had heard of strong rumours that he is hiding there," said Vice Leader Qiang.

"The disciples haven't been seen since they entered the village. You are to leave the Sect in the next hour and move towards the village; it should take you a day or two to get there and then return with the disciples or their bodies," continued Vice Leader Qiang. 

"Take this," Elder Juhee says, passing him a low-level spatial ring. "This has a few vitality pills to give the disciples if you find them injured, storage space for their bodies if you find them dead, food for a week, a drawing of Crimson Fang Orpald, and a small token that you can use to contact me in case of extreme emergencies. It will crumble after one use, so only use it if you are facing an insurmountable event."

<Ding!>

 <New Equipment Registered!>

 <Tiny Spatial Ring> 

<Rank: Sovereign>

 <Description: A tiny spatial ring, holding up to thirty kilos before reaching its limit. Extremely rare in the lower heavens, this ring would have cost a fortune!>

"Thank you. I will treasure this," Azreal says. "Go straight to the main gate. Good luck, Azreal. Do not hesitate," Elder Juhee says, gesturing for him to leave and motioning for Xin Hao and Lin Xue to come forward.

1