Chapter One
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today was supposed to be a normal day.
Myra was supposed to wake up, help her family make bread before the shop opened and then deliver fresh baked goods to the castle like she always did.
Like she did since she was 8.
So now she wondered how she ended up in this situation. More importantly she really needed to figure out how to get the baby dragon off her leg.
Only moments ago the small creature ran out of nowhere and tackled Myra to the ground. Clinging to her leg since.
While she wanted to be mad at the dragon in front of her, the moment she looked into those golden eyes, any feeling of anger vanished.
How she was going to explain to the royal chef that all of the rolls for breakfast are no longer usable and covered in sand, she also didn’t know. It was also unlikely someone would believe her story of being jumped on by a dragon.
It’s not like the creatures just wandered around markets and something one would expect to see on a daily basis.
No.
Myra has only ever seen the magnificent beasts three times in her life. Each time they flew high above her and she could hear the soft beat of their wings on the ground.
But never this close, never looked one in the eye or never felt the scales rub against her skin.
Yet here it was. A dragon much smaller than the ones she has seen in the sky, just barely reaching to her hip. The scales that were pressed against her leg looked like fresh fallen snow and instead of being rough, they were surprisingly soft to touch. And those eyes, Myra wasn’t sure how to describe them. Those golden eyes stared at her with such wisdom behind them as if this creature, that she doubted was more than a few months old, has already seen all there is to see and knew everything there was about this world.
Myra placed her hand on the front legs of the dragon and moved them off her legs. As if understanding her, the creature moved away slightly and tilted its head. Watching her every move.
At this point who wasn’t watching her.
Every passerby stared at her and the scene in front of them. And while she would love to blame them and be upset about all this unnecessary attention placed on her. Myra knew she would do the exact same.
She could count on her fingers how many times she has seen a dragon. Each time the sound of flapping wings came from above the city and the shadows of the magnificent creatures could be spotted. So there was no blame, everyone looked as they passed. This was most likely going to be the only time they would see a dragon this close.
Grabbing the basket from the floor, Myra collected the rolls and placed them back, stealing occasional glances at her tiny companion.
The public didn’t know much about the beasts that lived with them in their kingdom. The only thing that was known is that there weren’t many dragons left. During the last war most of the dragons and their riders were killed by the enemy. However, the reasoning behind focusing the dragons and the eggs was not known. Now, there supposedly were only two dragons. One owned by the prince of Shaya and the other by a young man from the lower part of the capital. Both known as great warriors for the kingdom.
Myra swept the sand of her white tunic dress, frowning at the stains that were left behind. She picked up the last piece of bread off the ground and tossed it to the small dragon. The snow white creature quickly caught it in its strong jaw, revealing the large powerful teeth hiding underneath.
Shivers ran through Myra as she considered how her leg could have ended up just like that bread roll.
The palace was only a few minutes away and if she walked fast enough, maybe she wouldn’t have to think of a story as to why the royals ate their breakfast without bread. Myra rushed through the busy market, avoiding all the stalls and the people around them. The dragon still followed closely behind her and as they passed whispers filled the streets.
The mixture of her almost running through the busy market and the sun that was already setting her skin ablaze, made her sweat more than she was used to. Myra didn’t even want to think how she must look like to others with her dirty tunic or how her long, golden hair was a mess due to the wind and now stuck to her wet skin.
In whatever state she was in, Myra was thankful that the golden palace finally came into view.
The palace was located in the heart of the Daran. It possessed an elegant, yet simple design. Made out of limestone and parts of it plated with gold. Light looked as if it danced between the columns as it moved from the golden plates.
Myra took a second to admire the sight before her. Even if she has seen the palace for the millionth time it did not change how she felt about it. Her heart filled with pride for her for her kingdom, their rich culture and the fact she has this opportunity to even peek inside the royals walls.
With a swift motion of her hand, in an attempt to make herself more presentable, Myra moved a few strands of her hair out of her face. She wanted to look lovely today and catch the attention of Wamir, the royal guard that she knew would be on guard duty today. So far they only exchanged pleasantries when she arrived at the palace, but she could swear to all the gods above that his chocolate eyes held the same intrigue as hers did.
One last time she looked down on the dragon that still stood next to her and hoped the guards at the front gates would be able to take the creature wherever it belonged.
With a slow pace she walked up to the gates and nodded to the first guards.
It didn’t take long for their eyes to widen in surprise as they saw the white ball next to her. It took even less for one of the guards to start running to the main hall with absolute horror in her eyes.
When she finally stopped at the little stone booth to inform of her arrival at the castle she saw a similar expression in the eyes of her favourite guard.
“Good morning Wamir, I’m here to deliver the bread and hopefully return this, well.” Myra said softly as she looked down at the dragon, unsure of what she should say to the guard.
Wamir opened his mouth slightly, but at first no words came out. “Yes, good morning.” His gaze crept back to her and his puzzled expression made it obvious he had questions he wasn’t sure if he should ask. “Yes, that. The dragon. Lyan already went inside to inform someone that the dragon had been found.”
Myra slowly nodded. “Should I go inside then to see the cooks?”
“Perhaps go to the main hall until someone collects your unexpected guest.”
A soft laugh escaped her lips and she smiled at the guard in front of her.
It seemed the small creature understood the words exchanged between the two and it started to make its way towards the hall. This time it was Myra that followed.
The main hall was probably the most stunning part of the palace. Large windows filled the room, letting the sunlight fill every corner. From the front you could admire the front gates and the beginning of the market, while from the back wall you could see the incredible royal gardens. Plants and greenery were rare in Shaya as the kingdom was made mostly of sand, but the garden began with a large pond and a small wooden bridge over it. The space was filled with so many flowers, plants and trees that Myra was sure she wouldn’t be able to name even half of them.
On the left side of the room was where the royal family sat during events. The thrones were dark red and had a sculpted pattern on it that reminded her of sand dunes. On both sides of the two thrones was a smaller seat, one for the prince the other for the royal adviser.
Everywhere she looked, she saw different patterns engraved into every part of the wall and the ceiling.
It was just a shame such a large room was mostly empty.
A small door to the right slammed open and snapped Myra attention away from looking at all the different engravings.
Madri’s face appears out of the door. Her black hair tied into a neat ponytail at the back and she was wearing her chef uniform already. No doubt she was preparing breakfast wondering where her friend was and the damn bread.
As the small woman started to rush over towards Myra, she started to fear for her life. Her friend’s brows were closely knitted together and her obsidian eyes glaring daggers. Madri didn’t even bother glancing at the dragon that rested on the floor close to her.
“Do you even realise how angry the head chef is at both of us?” Madri said with panic in her voice.
Her friend has only worked in the palace for a few months. The position paid well and cooking for the royals certainly had benefits. It didn’t cross Myra’s mind that her being late might cause trouble for her friend or make her worry about her job security.
Myra lifted up her hand and awkwardly scratched the back of her head. “Unfortunately you will be even more angry with me.”
“What?” Madri growled.
“I do have the bread.” Myra lifted the basket off the floor and took off the fabric that covered it. “But it’s all covered in sand.”
A soft cry escaped her friends lips as she snatched the basket out of Myra’s hands. Madri lifted each roll one by one to check if anything was spared from sand and could still be used.
“How did this happen? How did you not manage to save even a single piece of bread?” Madri’s voice was full of disbelief as she placed the basket back on the floor.
“So, funny story actually.” Myra chuckled nervously. “I was just walking down the market. You know, like I do every morning. Then suddenly I felt something jump on my side, the force made me fall flat on my ass, the basket went flying up in the air and all the rolls with it.”
“Perhaps pay more attention to your surroundings Myra.”
“I’m very sorry I didn’t expect a dragon running out of an alleyway and pouncing on me!”
It seems as if the frustration Madri felt at her made her not notice the creature that slept a few steps away. Her friend's face became filled with shock similar to the guards that first saw her.
Madri dropped the basket out of her hands and the small thud it caused made the dragon slowly open its eyes and look for the cause of the sound. Her friend pointed a shaky finger at the creature and she started mumbling words that Myra could not figure out.
“Calm down Madri. It has been friendly so far and just followed me back to the palace.”
“You cannot expect me to stay calm when the beast is just staring at me!” If Myra thought her friend was panicked before she was wrong.
Myra knelt down next to the white dragon that now stared back at her. She lifted her hand and slowly caressed the top of its head. If these were the beasts that everyone around the world was so scared of, then they definitely would not have seen them half asleep and enjoying ear scratches.
“How can you look into these eyes and be scared?” Myra said with a grin on her face.
All her friend did was stare at her in disbelief, slowly shaking her head side to side. “Maybe, I just value my life more than you. Actually, forget that. I know it.”
The two women stared at each other briefly. Myra’s sky blue eyes met her friend's obsidian black eyes, and in that moment she knew her friend was mostly scared not for herself but what would happen to Myra.
The girls didn’t know each other for too long, even if their families have been friends for generations. Only two years ago, when Myra replaced her sister for a day in delivering a restaurant down the road their baked goods, she stumbled upon Madri.
At the time her friend had been helping her family's restaurant for a few years, gaining the skills and experience she needed to one day get her dream job at being a chef at the royal kitchen. The moment Myra spoke to her, it was like something snapped in place between the two. The conversation flowed endlessly and both of them felt as if they could open up and talk about anything that troubled them. Now, they could not go a day without speaking to each other at least briefly.
Soft hands wrapped around Myra’s head and neck, hugging her softly. “Be careful.” Her friends voice a whisper.
She placed her hand on top of Madri’s and placed her head on her friend’s stomach. “You know I will. And you take care of yourself and deliver these sandy rolls to the kitchen with the deepest apologies from my family's bakery.”
Madri just managed to lift herself off the ground and grab the basket from the ground, when Lyan and three other guards that Myra did not recognise entered the main hall.
Unlike Lyan and the front guard who wore simple white tops with matching trousers, thin leather armour on top and simple swords attached to their side. These guards actually looked intimidating. They wore white fabric that wrapped around their shoulders then draped down to their hips, revealing most of their stomachs and the muscle underneath. On top there was black leather armour covering most of their necks and top of their shoulders. The trousers were made of a similar black leather, on top a dark red fabric that was tucked in at the front and gradually got longer as it made its way behind them. Between the trousers and the red material the guards had two swords and multiple daggers attached to their belts.
They were the king’s guard.
Myra has never seen them before. They were a hand selected group of people based on their skill and most of them were rumoured to have been trained since youth.
And now they were in front of her.
The men who are usually sent to the most dangerous missions, who are feared around the whole kingdom of Shaya.
The king’s guard was right there, slowly making their way over to her.
She passed a nervous look to Madri and wanted to apologise for dragging her into this mess. Well she wasn’t even sure what the said mess was.
The thought of keeping the dragon never even crossed Myra’s mind and she sure knew she didn’t make the creature do anything that would have caused her any trouble.
Unless it was about the bread.
What if her family’s rolls made one of the royals sick?
Would they punish her for that or accuse her of treason?
She should have never accepted the offer of providing the royal kitchen with their products. Myra always overthought everything, she always had a plan and always knew all the outcomes. How could she have overlooked her bread poisoning a royal?
“Listen, I am so sorry. I don’t want to keep the dragon or anything. I didn’t even touch it really.” Myra’s words barely left her mouth when more started coming out, her voice panicked and out of breath. “And if it's about the bread, if it caused any harm I am so sorry. I have a good family, I promise you that. My father basically warships the king honestly.”
Madri elbowed her in the stomach.
Hard.
She gasped for air and looked at her friend with question in her eyes, who just returned the stare that was filled with panic and annoyance.
A low chuckle fills the room, one of the royal guards held up his hand covering his mouth as he tried his hardest not to laugh. He was the only one not wearing a red fabric at his hips like the other two, instead his was a deep purple. “I can promise you that this isn’t about any bread.”
A sigh of relief escaped Myra’s lips. At least she didn’t accidentally poison someone.
“I’m deeply sorry, but I will have to ask you to leave.” The guard said as he looked at Madri.
The friends smiled at each other as Madri made her way out of the hall. And when her friend's dark curls left the room, Myra felt a lot more nervous without the supportive presence in the room.
The guard looked at her and smiled, oddly enough causing her to feel more at ease. He was taller than the other guards around him, his hair the same colour as dark chocolate, bright gold eyes that seemed to whisper to her to trust him and even though he possessed olive skin like so many others in the kingdom, his seemed to have an odd glow to it.
“Hello Myra. My name is Imran and I’m one of the dragon riders.”

0