Chapter Three
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the prince left it didn’t take long for the others to take their leave too.
Everyone had their own responsibilities, so if anything Myra should have been surprised that they stayed for as long as they did.
Imran showed her out of the palace. He apologised a few times for the abrupt ending and for how the prince behaved.
A few times he went as far to insult the prince, so Myra guessed that the two must be close if he felt comfortable enough to speak like that about a royal.
Oddly enough, as she left the front gates and waved her goodbye to Wamir, she could not wait to go back to the palace tomorrow. To see what she will learn from the dragon trainer and if perhaps she would become friends with Imran and be as close to him as he is with the prince.
It was mostly wishful thinking. She wasn’t good with talking to people and because of that, most to become friends with her outgoing sister.
The dragon that now followed behind Myra would probably make it even more difficult for people to want to stick around to her.
Hopefully Madri would still speak to her tomorrow.
Myra sighed as she looked at her companion.
For now the dragon could enter her home and store. The creature could probably sleep in her bedroom or the garden, but depending on how fast she grew, Myra would have to relocate to the palace quicker.
Her poor mother was going to get a heart failure at the sight of this too.
As she walked back home, now in the afternoon, the market was much more busy with people. They all stepped aside for Myra to have space as she moved, all staring at her and the dragon.
Was everyone really that scared of this small thing next to her?
In the end it didn’t matter as it let her get home quicker.
The small wooden shop became visible and the sign Taren’s Bakery swung softly in the wind.
With a soft push the door to the bakery opened and the smell of bread filled her nose.
She was home.
And the comfort of home brought tears to her eyes after the long day she had.
A soft sob escaped her lips as she saw her mother enter the shop from the back door.
Her mother moved quickly between the shelves filled with bread that did not get sold in the morning and she wrapped her arms around Myra, gently caressing her head.
“I’m not sure what I should ask first, Myra.” Her mother chuckled softly against her head. “I would love to know both as to what happened to get my girl to cry and also why did you bring a dragon to our bakery?”
Myra sniffled as she looked at her mother. Her light blonde hair was braided at the back and her blue eyes looked tired. She will need to remind her mother to take a day break again at some point.
“Could we get Ayra and father before I explain everything?”
“Of course.”
They went to the back of the house, to the garden her sister took care of everyday.
Even if it wasn’t as grand as the garden in the palace, or that it didn’t possess the same exotic plants, Myra preferred this.
There was nothing better than to gather fresh berries in the morning or the smell of roses after they bloomed.
This was Myra’s safe place.
Her body felt at peace and she finally felt like she could breathe.
Normally, she would move further down and climb the apple tree in a corner that would not let others see her. To hide from her problems even if it was for just a moment.
As she glanced at the dragon laying on her feet, Myra didn’t think she would be very successful at hiding away from the beast.
“What is that?” Her sister's voice filled the air and when Myra looked at her she couldn’t help but laugh.
Ayra jogged towards the dragon. Her blue dress and apron moved in the wind. Her blonde hair tied into a ponytail and her hazel eyes widened as she got closer.
“Don’t touch it Ayra!” Her mother yelled across the garden, her father right behind her.
“She is fine to touch her, don’t worry mum.”
It still slightly baffled her that someone could be scared of this baby. Myra definitely understood the fear once it grows in size and gets a jaw large enough to swallow you whole. But, this baby in front of her, as harmless as it gets.
Ayra immediately leaned down to pet the white ball and when she started to pet it, the dragon rolled over, revealing the shinny stomach.
Who would have thought dragons would want belly scratches.
“I’m the new rider.” Myra whispered.
She retold the story of what happened in the morning, how confused she was at what to do and how worried she was about delivering those sandy rolls. Then she told them what happened in the palace and the new responsibilities she had.
Her family listened carefully, asking more questions as the story went on. Especially those about the palace and the royal family.
A few times her mothers face paled when hearing about the training or moving into the palace. However, her sister was excited that one day she will see the palace for herself when she visits her older sister who is a dragon rider.
When Myra finished recalling the events she felt the tears build up in her eyes again.
“I knew you were meant for more than this.” Her father said and wiped the tear that rolled down his face. “From the moment you were born, I knew it was a matter of time before some sort of adventure claimed you and took you away from us.”
Her mother smacked his shoulder and frowned at him. “Sol why would you wish for such a thing? Now she will be in harm's way and fighting god knows what.”
“I will be fine mum.” Myra wasn’t sure who she was trying to convince with that statement, herself or her family.
“Listen here Myra. Since you were a child I taught you how to use a bow. Everyday we practised until you didn’t miss a single mark.” He said proudly. “You will be fine since you already know how to defend yourself.”
A small smile tugged on Myra’s lips.
She remembers all the days she spent with her father training her aim and learning the bow. At the time it was the only activity she did that was not learning how to bake or reading and writing.
She loved every second of it.
While most don’t know her skill with bow she knew if she had to she could rely on it and use the surprise of the attacker to her advantage.
Only issue is she would need to learn how to still aim well under pressure and with her target being a human and not a bottle that her father threw in the air.
Her mum cried as she looked between her and father. He was definitely going to get an earful later on when they were by themselves, for thinking of teaching her the cursed bow or thinking of her using it.
Myra’s eyes felt heavy and she really needed to wash the filth that had gathered on her.
She hugged her mother one more time, reassuring her that everything would be fine. At the end of the day she was only learning combat for a while, she was under no risk unless it was from herself.
The dragon understood her intentions and followed Myra to her bedroom upstairs, staying there while Myra went for her bath.
Hot water relaxed her muscles as she laid down. The stress of the day cost her body both physically and mentally. Not to mention the amount of sand that was stuck to her skin and hair.
Prince Cairo most likely looked at her with disgust because of the smell that came from her.
Myra cringed as she thought of seeing the royal family again and wondered if she should apologise for the state she was in.
After the bath, Myra went back to her room to find the dragon chewing on her bed frame.
Dragons were truly closer to a dog than anyone has ever said.
“Don’t do that!”
She tried to push the creature away, but it was much heavier than it looked.
The golden eyes looked at her and the dragon rolled over revealing its belly.
“I hope you don’t plan to leave all the deliveries to me now that you are so important.” Ayra laughed.
Her sister laid down on the bed, reaching lower to pet the dragon again.
“I will deliver to the palace for as long as I can.” Myra sighed. “I hoped it would be for a while before I have to move there, but with the way she munches on my bed I might have no choice but to do it soon.”
“Will you be ok?” Her sister asked.
To that Myra didn’t know herself. She knew she wasn’t going to give up, and she wanted to show that prince what a lowly commoner can be made of.
But, she didn’t know if she was ok with any of this happening or if she was going to make out of this alive after she was sent to her first task.
All she could do was hope that somehow it would all be fine.
Myra gently nodded at her sister. “I will be fine.”
Soft crunching sounds came from the other side of the room. Myra grunted as she looked at the white ball of scales, which again, was chewing on her bed.
“At this rate you might not have a place to stay for the night.” Ayra giggled.
After getting the dragon away from her bed.
Again.
Myra spoke with her sister about all the things she wished could stay the same.
She no longer could stay up all night speaking with Ayra about all the things they heard in the store or delivery runs and they won’t be able to try baking new recipes. Without Myra at home at all hours of the day she wondered who would make sure to annoy her mother or spend hours with her father outside on their walks or bow practice.
The soft crunching eventually stopped as the dragon fell asleep and Myra with it.

0