Volume I: Gifts Ungiven II.
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We’re home!” Amiriniel yelled as she opened the door letting in what little snow started to fall. Each of them cleared their boots on the thick, furred object laid at the entrance, resembling a smaller carpet.

For a moment their little joy accumulated from visiting the market slowly evaporated. Then footsteps approached them. “Welcome home.” Sigiwaer’s and Mirdbruil’s voice joint together as they greeted them back, with a weak smile on the former and a much more joyous, tender on the latter. Which then settle itself on the other three.

“Thank the Deossos and the Almodo!” The two exclaimed in unison as they threw themselves on their little sibling, tears flowing on their cheeks.

While it was a joyous moment to all of them, Sigiwaer still had a hard time breathing in the embrace of his siblings. “Give… me a little space.” Sigiwaer said forcing those words out to the best of his ability.

Ulrich and Mirdbruil watched this unfold with heartfelt smiles and as they looked into each other’s eyes, decided to meter out punishment later for Sigi. “Now, now let go of your brother, otherwise he may suffocate.” Ulrich said as he patted their heads gently.

“Look isn’t this cool.” As the two released him, he let out a deep sigh while his bandaged face reddened from awkwardness. Eadwald reached raised the bag and loosened the rope around it. Sigi watched with anticipation as the finely carved dragon knight got revealed.

“So cool.” He muttered, their fantasies unbounded as they took in every single detail including the scales and the armor of the dragon.

“You can admire it later. For now let’s eat something then, we talk about your punishments.” Ulrich said as fondled their hands with great care. The two looked at him with slight dejection, but did not utter a single word at the last part.

“There is also I want to talk to you about regarding Sigi darling.” Mirdbruil said as the two boys headed for their room. The two, especially Sigi replicated noises of raging dragon breaths.

“You too, go prepare for dinner.” Ulrich said as they noticed Amiriniel stood by waiting to hear what Mirdbruil wanted to speak about.

“Now.” Ulrich added a bit more sternly. “Fine.” She finally relented and went after the two.

“I’ll be quick. As the healer said, when Sigi woke up he had a bit of shocked reaction. I went for water, then when I returned, he appeared calm, collected like never before. What was even more surprising that he was in the middle of weaving.” Mirdbruil spoke in a low tone and a slightly worried tone.

“I see. That means the Almodo and the Deossos truly blessed him. There is nothing to worry about my love.” Ulrich said while his cold hand pressed against her soft cheek.

“I know. But I can’t stop worrying.” Mirdbruil said as her eyes became teary.

“I promise, I will protect him. And Eadwald and Amiriniel too when the time comes, I’m sure of that.” He said as he kissed her forehead, then as his arm wrapped around her waist, a deep bellow ringed through the small hall that made her chuckle.

**

“Ulrich! Here.” As he entered the unusually crowded tavern, thanks to some divine help probably, Gna’Yrg’s voice reached his ears as his eyes slowly slid across the tavern. After a few more yells, he managed to notice the muscled pale greenish hand waving at him.

“No drinks for me?” Ulrich sat down a bit dejected between Gna and Aelfsigior.

“By the time we reached the counter, Gna forgot it.” Aelfsigior said in a cheeky tone as the warmed sweetened mead poured into his mouth.

“Hey do not look at me like that. You know my memory is not the best since our own little venture.” Gna held his arms up defensively.

“True I can only blame myself this time.” Ulrich added with a faked somber look as he laid back in the chair. He groaned like an elderly sitting up from a chair when he peeked at the direction of the counter brimming with people.

As he stood up to take a better look, he noticed the artist from earlier thanking the owner, a half-dwarf whose primary heritage from his human parent was his height. Their gazes met for a moment as he turned back holding his large wooden mug of mead with foam cascading down on the sides. He smiled then turned back and spoke towards the half-dwarf and a few moments later another mug found its way to his remaining free hand.

“Seems the Deosos and the Almodo’s both smile upon you friend. This is a night of celebrations.” Gna who stood up while gurgling, a sort of brutish ceremony in these regions, noticed the artist heading for them.

“Oh yeah, forgot but I invited him this afternoon. He seemed eager to meet you.” Aelfsigior said while hitting his own forehead.

“Ah excuse my manners.” The Artist said after stopping on the opposite side of the large round table, placed the two mugs with great care as he managed to transfer them across the crowd without spilling any.

A feat that earned the trio’s respect, a little. “Priernuss of House Inriarnis!” The bald, slender built halfblooded aevhe said as he elegantly bowed down.

“Just Ulrich.” For a little while his eyes remained on his hand, focused on the muscles and scars then he swiftly locked his to his. He masked his faint grunt with a smile as the impact felt similar to hitting solid wooden surface – a slight surprise as he expected after the momentary inspection.

“So Priernuss, what brings you to our little hamlet in this desolate land.” Before he brought up his question, a relaxed sigh escaped him as the warm, foamy beverage wormed its way into his mouth and down his throat where it left a scorching trail.

“It may be strange to hear, but I was always fascinated by the North as someone who grew up in the gentle climate of the south.” Priernuss said as he chugged a good amount of the mead down. His lids quivered in joy as the mead expelled the frost that claimed his being. “Was one of the reasons I joined the legion in my youth.” As he said that he met Ulrich’s gaze.

“I see. So how is our little old and cold north so far?” Gna spoke up before Ulrich could utter the very same question.

“Besides the frost. Not too bad if I’m being honest. Folks are definitely kinder to strangers than us southerners. Especially when it comes to my craft.” At the end his previous affable attitude soured a bit.

“Guess not all parents let their children follow their own desired paths.” Aelfsigior said while patting his back. “Speaking of which, I noticed your gaze on Ulrich morning.”

“Seems I still lack in the ways of subterfuge.” Priernuss scraped the back of his head as he chuckled like a hyena.

“Truth is, when I noticed you from the edge of my vision, the Spark of Creativity lit up in my soul. So I’ll be brunt, but would you mind if say tomorrow, I painted you and as an extra maybe your family?” Then he continued clearing his throat with a cough to muster his strength to ask.

“I’m not sure. I mean nothing against you, and I’d be more than happy, but this past week had been rough on my family. I’m not even sure honestly what we could pay for it.”  Ulrich said with a smile as he gazed into his reflection in the murky golden mead occupying his mug.

“I see. Maybe then another time when we return.” Priernuss said feeling a bit dejected at the lost opportunity. “Also regarding payment, you don’t have to worry about that. My policy regarding the common folk is that the first is always free for each.” He added, his words a bit jumbled together as the alcohol started exerting its influence over him.

“Excuse my question, but why? Wouldn’t folk think that it is quite shady?” Gna asked as his face reddened by the alcohol, but could still articulate the words properly.

“Well, my usual answer is that The Great Sculptor, my patron and all desires for all art to spread, like joy or the likes.” Priernuss poured a bit of his drink over his thick, moderately gaudy coat as he spoke.

“And what is your not usual answer?” Ulrich inquired as he leaned a bit closer.

“The same if I’m being honest. But it is a desire that born not from worship, but from loss. Even when I was in the legion, I practiced, but mostly with landscapes or with the fortress where I was stationed. For the most part the south is peaceful, there are still occasional raids from bands of scoundrels, freed slaves and monsters, so I lost a few friends whom I wanted to eternalize. Just never felt confident at the time in painting people.” Before he started, his chest puffed out as he inhaled deeply, then let the words flow in a quick pace.

“I see.” Ulrich said as regrets swell within him hearing those words.

For a few moments he remained silent while the others spoke – their speech starting to turn garbled as the alcohol took its effect – and pondered for a moment. “Regarding your desire, I’ll have to speak with my wife and the kids.” Then he added at which Priernuss mood brightened a lot, but chose to remain silent.

“Oh, so he woke up finally?” Gna asked at hearing those last words. “Who?” Priernuss reflexively asked

“My smallest child. He and Gna’s son had a little incident when they sneaked past the wall and into the forest.” Ulrich answered his eyes shifting between the two as he leaned once again closer.

“Thank the Almodo and His Ten Children. Azuth will be glad to hear that.” Gna said as a sigh of relief escaped him.

“Praise the Almodo. Howearil will to be joyous about these news. Even though I must say, I had no doubts about it. He is his father’s son after all.” Aelfsigior offered his gratulations with the latter on top.

“I imagine sometimes the lust for wander is just the same here as everywhere.” Priernuss said while scraping his chin.

“You could say that. I think that’s one thing that definitely unites all of us. Besides the love of the Almodo that is.” Aelfsigior said trying to sound wise. At that point, the mead took its full toll on them and one by one they started laughing at those words like they were the greatest joke that grazed this world with its grace. The rest of the night became a blur to all of them.

**

Eadwald watched with amazement as the brush pressed against the canvas, the dark ink latching onto it ferociously. His eyes fixate on the center, where a young man with flowing dark hair clad in the scaled plate armor of the dragon knights contrasting the dark back drop of the mountain path. Their features perfectly match except for the age difference.

“Who is she?” He asked pointing at the aevhen sorceress depicted with his aged up self.

On the right, behind him a fair aevhen maiden of unparalleled beauty draped in silken and leathery robe, hued red and prismatic stood with magic dancing around her scaled hands, ending in claws. Long ashen red hair cascaded down onto her cloak veiled shoulders, almost blending in with it. Her eyes just as fierce as his, brimming with an ever-shifting cavalcade of hues, while the pupils themselves were slit like a dragons.

“A bit of an artistic addition so to speak. What is a praetoriir without a fair maiden protecting their back, am I right?” Priernuss asked with his affable smile as he looked at Mirdbruil standing in the backdoor’s frame.

“So that is how a dragon looks.” Eadwald muttered as his attention shifted to the two large scaled beasts. One, that had divinely feathered scales of prismatic kind were hidden mostly behind a large rock formation, its avian shaped head with numerous horns – resembling thick antlers – intertwining with each other roaring at the far more menacing dark one.

The second occupied the dark space above them in the left corner, its scales dark as the starless midnight sky. Its wings spreading outwards, created an imposing feeling. Its eyes and horns pale as the fresh frozen corpse. The tail curved and charged at the aged up Eadwald like a serpent that strikes at its prey.

“So cool.” Sigi whispered as lowly as he could while his right eye brimmed with amazement as he grasped onto his mothers’ skirt.

“Come, sit here. See if something is not to your taste or want a monster or maybe a friend added.” Priernuss stood up slowly and stretched his limbs as the arkhaine energies faded from his eyes and wrists. Eadwald sat down and watched with eyes gleaming, mouth agape.

“It is perfect.” He managed to utter after a few seconds, lost in his imagination.

“Take it then.” Priernuss said in a kind tone and a delighted expression. “Just keep it close to a window until it completely dries. That takes about an hour or so.”

“Thank you!” Eadwald turned around and bowed before he took the painting and headed inside.

“So who’s next? The fair lady or the little fellow there?” As Priernuss asked, Sigi’s clutched tighter a bit while also averted his gaze.

“May I with Sigi?” Amiriniel leaned slightly out from the edge, and asked a bit meekly.

“If our little lass doesn’t mind?” At that Sigi nodded like a shy wolf cub.

Amiriniel held out her hand and he took it as they walked out to the small, walled off backgarden. “Neat, isn’t it?” Priernuss reached into his bag and pulled out another canvas from its seemingly endless inside. The two of them nodded with amazed looks.

“Now just keep still for a teeny tiny moment.” He said as he closed his left eye, right eye engulfed in arkhaine light as he leaned out. Then he repeated it once again in the reverse order. “Excuse me.” Then as he sneezed, the air turned visible in the shape of a small birds that flew over the sibling’s heads. They watched with amazed expressions and turned as the conjured apparitions flew away.

“Perfect. Now tell me, what interests the two of you?” As he refilled his ink, he asked the two in a playful tone.

“Maghia and the myriad secrets of it.” Amiriniel answered with her head held high proudly.

“Oh, a future great sorceress in the making here.” Priernuss dipped his brush into the light bluish ink as he spoke with a mellowing tone. “Is there an aspect of it that interests you the most milady?” Then he asked.

“Hmmm. All of them interest me in many ways more than one. But if I had to choose, the aspect of nature interests me. Talking to animals, using the elements to protect or vanquish the evils of the north.” Her expression varied as she answered, but for the most part it was serious.

“And you little lass?” Then as he asked, Sigi felt a bit anxious.

“I… me too. I like when Mom heats our sheets before sleep, or as Sis said talking to animals.” He answered a bit meekly, but as he Priernuss leaned out from the cover of canvas, at his smile words flowed a bit easier for Sigi.

“One day, I want to be a great sorcerer, so that I can protect my family, my friends.” While his tone was more confident, yet he still clutched onto his coat.

“A great sorcerer huh. I could see that. You know I knew a boy shy as you, with a good heart no doubt like you.” Priernuss added as he drawn the brush at the top with steady hands engulfed in light bluish and golden energies.

“Really?” Hearing those words, Sigi suddenly spoke up with a bit more confidence merged with surprise.

“Oh yes, he worked diligently and with great relentlessness until our local academy accepted him amongst their rank. He showed great promise and learnt to control mana both inside himself, and surrounding us unseen. He even saved my life a few times when I proved too complacent.” Priernuss said as the two walked over and watched him paint.

“Excuse me the question. But sir, were you a sorcerer yourself too?” Amiriniel asked as the two arrived behind him. She watched the energies flowing around his wrists and hands, dancing playfully as they guided and maintained his working hands.

“In a way yes. I did hone the craft of maghia, but I also trained with the blade and spear. Combining the two proved to be a worthwhile effort” Priernuss said as he finished painting the blue sky. “Also do not be sorry for your curiosity. It is a wonderful thing to have.” He added with a smile as he turned towards them.

Hearing those words, Amiriniel drawn her sharp eyebrows together. “How so?” Then she asked.

“The greatest weapon of a magus is distance. But it is also a weakness that one can cover with martial knowledge.” Priernuss stopped for a bit to crack his wrists and to answer.

“How do you paint someone’s future by just a few questions?” The next question came from Sigi, as it gnawed at him since he watched Eadwald’s piece being made. He saw the particles of a deep blue hue flew into Priernuss’s bald head.

“Regarding looks, that is the easier. I’ve grown up with a few friends, and of course with a good memory. So I remembered how they changed through years. It’s still not perfect, but what I paint is a rough estimation on my part.” He said as he continued painting the piece for the two siblings.

Then he turned around when he noticed from the edge of his eyes the unsatisfied look on Sigi’s face. “In terms of the future, I rely on divination. I can do it minimally as its an aspect that is the hardest to master.”

“Sorry for the intrusion, but dinner is ready. Do you want to eat with us?” Mirdbruil walked out after disappearing as she shared the news, both in words and by the spicy, warm scent of heated meat and broth converging into their nostrils, making them drool a bit. For a bit he pondered to intrude himself or not, but the two sibling’s gazes telling him they have a dozen more questions like that.

“Gladly, if in return I can offer a fine wine to those of age of course.” A smile curved onto his face as he stood up and entered with an offer of his own.

0