Volume I: The Apple and the Tree III.
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A room built with deep and dark mahogany walls with slim golden ornated edges. A table full of sweetened beverages to calm the soul, sweet bakeries still steaming with warmth of freshness. Paintings of warm and vibrant hues of beautiful landscapes and fields that calmed the soul of the viewer with their vibrant hues.

Yet Aurelithae sat near the hearth where the flames raged silently, her arms on the chair’s, her legs stiff like a wooden log. Her gaze focused on the floor, where the carpet ended, and the wood began. In long periods, her chest puffed out while her breathing filled the silent room. Until the door slid into the wall across the right of her.

“Heard about you completed the task perfectly.” Naghig appeared lone in the long corridor of white and gold. His heavy steps made no sound as if his muscles weighted like feathers. “Almost too perfectly.” He added the next part in a soft whisper as he approached Auerlithae.

“Yeah.” Aurelithae said – forcing that simple word out as she felt stones welling up in her throat. The image of the gory lake that was once the high ranking custodiar flashed in her mind. She could even sense the putrid scent that made her gag softly.

“I must say – I heard and witnessed quite a few siblings of yours. But even the most brutal one just twisted and shaped the bones of his enemy to end their lives in a moment.” Naghig said as he poured the cherry flavored drink into a small wooden cup. He also lifted up a vial containing a dark greyish fluid and poured a little into the drink.

“What is this?” She asked – already knowing the answer – to hush away the gloom nested within her mind.

“A little concoction of mine made from the dark nectar of the innarith flower. Helps easing your mind, while also prevents others from seeing into it – just in case.” Naghig said as she took the keg without hesitation. Aurelithae looked at the orkh with a surprised expression, but then took the keg and placed its cold edge against her softly trembling lips.

“Blergh. Could still work on improving its taste. It ruins the cherry flavor with its extreme sourness.” Aurelithae’s face contorted as soon as the mixed drink reached her tasting buds. Pearly tears with a little prismatic glow appeared at the corners of her gracefully sculpted eyes as faint acidic sensation spread from her throat, down to her stomach. She shook her head reflexively fighting to not vomit out the drink.

“I’ll keep it mind. But regardless, how do you feel?” Naghig asked noticing the coin she gave her clutched in her left fist, glued to her palm.

“Fine. Really. It just… I’m myself surprised at what I was capable of.” For a few moments she stared at the flames pondering before she spoke. Part of her wanted to divulge Naghig, ask if he may know who the voice belonged to. But in the end, she remained silent about that as there were a myriad and more deities in the world, even counting the vilest, darkest ones.

“That I can see. Your Sister was the same if not worst when it came to her first kill.” Naghig said as he rested his back against the corner of the hearth.

“Wow. You’re that old?” Aurelithae said jokingly with a plain, cold expression.

“I see your humor still needs some refining. But let’s just say I’m older than you probably think.” Naghig said with half a smile.

“But I had met her two centuries ago, when she was in the middle of her young adult age. I still remember the gory image of her majestic and haunting body drenched in blood of her first kill – that she fucked up by thrusting her blade too deep and struggled to pull it out as panic overtook her while being sprayed in blood. Thinking back, now I understand why Djagbartur laughed at her. An old rookie mistake that was – but it is something that happens when you kill a person for the first time.”  His eyes turned to the one of the painting of slightly darker hues depicting a vast field of deep crimson red under the clear blue skies. A heartfelt smile appeared on his gravely visage followed by a solemn gaze that focused into the distant blue sky depicted on the largest center piece of the room.

“Was he there too?” She asked while following his gaze.

“Yeah. He was a bit more experienced and helped her with coping. He was now under the arms of the Silent Shepherd, under the judge of the Grim Scribe he said.” Naghig recalled his old friends relieving words. “Well, he sucked at that.” Then he added that made Aurelithae chuckle a little.

“How did she got used to it?” Then she asked while after gulping down the last of her drink.

“She kept on killing. Started studying grimoires that contained spells that killed swiftly and as painlessly as possible. Or ones that made it easier to cut heads off, pierce hearts and so on so forth.” Naghig got up, his knees creaked and moaned as he stretched them. “I’d recommend you do the same. With each death, killing becomes easier.” He added with a solemn tone.

“I see. Thought that is the case. Just have to push on from now on.” Aurelithae said with a mild solemn look as she stared at the warm flames.

“Good. If you ever need me regarding coping just rings this.” Naghig said as he procured a little bell dark bell with runes engraved into its course surface similar to the ones etched onto his back. She nodded and took the bell without hesitation and stared at it for a few moments as he started leaving. “Also, do not forget the House of Records. Just give that coin to the keeper as I told you.”

“Thanks. I’m glad I was also wrong about you Nagh.” Aurelithae said as she got up and coursed her mana through all her arkhaine points. The previous chill that permeated her being changed into the all too familiar pleasant warmth. The air around her blurred, then in an instant her body seemingly exploded once again into a prismatic mist as she teleported away.

**

As a soft, tender darkness blanketed the capital, the moon light reflected from the white walls lit up the streets and the bridges as the folks continued their busy lives. The Merry Bridge itself was one of the busiest of places as night settled. Long tents spread on both sides with conjured wooden counters, hundreds if not almost thousands of barrels filled with relieving beverages waited to be poured into heavy kegs and cups.

Joyful screams spread into the night, both towards the darkened heavens and the abyssal chasm of the valley below. All kinds of folks converged on this bridge every night, ranging from the poorest of the echelons up towards the clergy and even some of the custodiir whom either patrol or part of the thirsty.

“Next time, make it sure she does the deed all by herself.” He strolled between the passing folks, his guttural deep voice laced with myriad whispers penetrated through the crowd’s cacophony – passed by their ears as the murmur of the wind.

“I assure you my friend – I only gave her the tools. Nothing more, nothing less.” Those silent words moved from mouth to mouth, carrying a chilling undertone.  His devoid gaze followed their way as he coursed between the folks.

“Do not forget. Your duty is only to watch over her and end her life in case she strays from the path.” He stopped and walked through at the center of the bridge. His body draped in tattered robes with a large hood that cast the deepest of shadows over his visage. Within the crowd itself, he towered over all the folks that passed by him without even just taking a peek at the dark figure.

“Regarding the brave child of the Emperor. Can we trust him?” The chilling voice now came out of nowhere as He stood at the edge of the bridge. On the sides, faces – one could describe as unsettling – decorated the bridge, each with more than merrier expressions, sculpted from golden against the pristine white marble. His gaze focused on the bottom of the imposing rectangle platform which itself was the Radiant Keep.

“Yes.” The two prismatic slits deep within the dark embrace of the shadows that nested under his hood lit up as he slowly tilted his attention onto the bottom of the platform.

“Can we be sure of his loyalty? Won’t he too, just betray us to court favor with his distant father?” The air became colder as the voice spoke, coating the unsettling faces thinly in frost. The loud cacophony of the crowd slowly became distant and muffled as his presence became heavier.

“There is no love or hope to be gained for him on that path. Only death awaits for him. Just like it awaited those Chosen to carve his path.” Then finally, silence smothered the last sparks of sound as he answered.

His unnaturally long arms raised, the layered raven black robe rustled and the stole with eerie runes embroidered onto them dangled against his chest. Two hands revealed from under the cuffs, ending in sharp, draconic claws as reached towards the Radiant Keep. “Dream, little ones.”

**

“My Lady did something happen today that gnaws at you?” Akaerith, Aurelithae’s personal attendant asked as she tucked her into the embrace of silken sheets. Her bed itself took up a quarter of the large room that looked out at the garden where the planted flora emanated a soothing glow that even reach and slithered its way into the second floor window.

Akaerith was an elderly niuvhe with soft face, kissed by the pale glow of the moon, sculpted by the very hand of the Divine Artist himself. Her fiery cascading crimson hair, reminiscent of molten silken, called to the eye of even Aurelithae.

Her eyes bored the hue of the cleanest sapphires, brimming with the wisdom of ages. They sparkled with a light akin to the stars in the midnight sky, parting despair to the lost. Her features were delicate, ethereal, yet exuded a strength that belied her fragile appearance.

“Nothing out of the ordinary. Just had a really long day.” Yet even her beauty that could make the greatest of liars spill out the truth, could not broke the dam that built up in Aurelithae’s throat.

“I see. Regarding your Father, His Majesty I’m not sure if she’s aware of your little trips. Which is why I highly recommend in stopping them. The longer my lady waits, the deeper it will hurt your relationship with your father, his Majesty.” She offered those words before heading out from the vast room. Aurelithae gulped and waited until she closed the doors behind her.

“Think it is too late for that.” Aurelithae whispered – her gaze focused up to the ceiling decorated with frescoes of radiant, almost divine like aevhen figures. Each one outwards were clad in gilded imperial armor while the inner ones draped in the finest of robes laced with a myriad hues of red, mauve and golden. Except for the center one who was outstandingly handsome even compared to the rest.

He had long pure white hair that fell in a straight line onto his firm shoulders while one hand held up drawing the attention of the others. And just like her and Terrianis, he had mesmerizing prismatic scales and draconic pupils with a calm and stern look in them.

Her eyes slowly closed, and the dim scenery above replaced by a featureless shadowscape which I found eerily calming in that moment. Suddenly I felt my body hurled through not just the empty dark waste, but through time, width and length. A surreal feeling, impossible to describe if I’m being honest.

Just as suddenly, I felt my body, or whatever I possess in the land of the Dreamer, impact the blindingly white, and chilling soft blanket over the hard ground. As I slowly got up onto my feet, I noticed the trees reaching high towards the endless darkness. Yet somehow, there were light as if the sun penetrated through the sky.

I started walking in the hopes of finding something, anything in this vast sea of trees with ethereal leaves. The more I tracked, the more the ethereal chill tenderly embraced my legs and feet. The worry I felt through the day, the loneliness dissipated, swallowed as soon as I saw him. A young boy, afraid and covering behind one of the trees like if it were his mother’s skirt.

“Hello!” I called out to him as gently as I could.

0