Chapter 2: Coming to terms
221 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lux wasn't the most avid self-identified nerd. He didn't indulge in video games as frequently as some of his friends, and his foray into Dungeons & Dragons had been a singular event. However, despite some gaps in his knowledge, when it came to certain realms like DC Comics, he was confident that few could claim ignorance of its iconic figures.

Superman, known as The Man of Steel, and Batman, often referred to as The Caped Crusader, were names that reverberated in casual conversations about the DC Universe. It was a world teeming with superheroes battling in the name of justice to preserve the ordinary fabric of life. Yet, equally infamous was the pervasive brutality lurking in every corner of the DCU.

Despite the vigilant efforts of Batman, Gotham City remains a nightmarish hellscape for its average citizens. The presence of the Dark Knight may strike fear into the hearts of criminals, but it does little to alleviate the pervasive corruption, poverty, and decay that infest every street and alleyway. While Batman battles the colourful rogues gallery that plagues the city, ordinary residents are left to fend for themselves amidst the ever-present threat of violence and crime. The city's infrastructure is crumbling, its institutions are rife with corruption, and its police force is often ineffectual or compromised. For every criminal that Batman apprehends, ten more seem to rise to take their place, perpetuating a cycle of despair and hopelessness. The spectre of Gotham's dark past looms large over its present, casting a long shadow that even the Caped Crusader struggles to dispel. In the end, despite Batman's tireless efforts, Gotham remains a symbol of urban decay and despair, a place where the line between good and evil is blurred and hope is a fragile commodity at best.

Hell, even a metropolis, the city of the residence of the Last Son of Krypton, the Symbol of Hope, the Champion of Truth and Justice, Superman faced its fair share of difficulty often.

'Damn, I guess this is the price of freedom; I never would have guessed it would have tasted so bitter,' Lux found himself within an in-between, his desire to leap out of his void home was strong, but the idea of trading one personal hell for another weighed onto his mind. However, he had found himself trapped in events outside his control, so the only way he was left to move was forward.

'I mean, I guess if I have nothing better to do, I can become a hero and put my mother's words to the test again. What's the worst that could happen? I already died.' A hollow laugh echoed within the confines of his mind as Lux confirmed the notification to scroll on to the next one.

 

Installing status!

.

.

.

.

Status complete!

[Status]

Luxford Davis,

Level 1

Equipable Titles: NA

 

HP: 100/100

MP: N/A

Strength: 10

Dexterity: 10

Endurance: 10

Intelligence: 10

Charisma: 10

 

Traits: Unique ability in which are granted for gain in extraordinary circumstances.

  • Light Harvest: Through the process of gathering Light Points, acquired by absorbing any light source, the user can trigger a redistribution feature within the trait. This feature enables the user to release the accumulated light energy at their discretion. Furthermore, increased affinity with the [Light] elements, allowing for greater mastery and effectiveness of light-based abilities and strategies.
     

LP: 0/100

 

Skills: Abilities gained through excessive work within specified fields.

  • N/A

 

'So these are my stats? Is 10 good?' As Lux observed his stats, a multitude of inquiries flooded his mind, questioning the ordinariness or extraordinariness of his attributes. In a world where individuals could effortlessly bend metal bars like twigs and defy gravity by soaring through the skies, understanding the baseline of abilities became paramount. A rating of 10 could either position him comfortably within the realm of superhuman capabilities or thrust him into a disconcerting alternative, where his strength might equate to that of a mere child.

Yet, amidst Lux's internal turmoil, the system offered no solace. It provided no guidance, not due to any deliberate choice, but rather a deficiency in programming designated for such areas of assistance.

'Well at least for now, I should be fine,' Lux sighed as once again the serenity found within the void assured his mind, focusing him on the positives rather than the negatives. 

'Firstly it seems that there is some sort of difference between traits I'm skills. I'm guessing traits have to deal with something beyond the ordinary or perhaps something incredibly hard to achieve, whilst skills can be worked towards. Perhaps I can gain some skill in "reading" if I read hard enough or "thinking" if I focus, however, I doubt that because I have no clue what the hell the system means by "excessive work within specified fields", I'm guessing there are some preexisting skill that I can acquire by achieving the requirements?' Thanks to all Lux's boundless time within the void he had found himself becoming decently adept at bouncing around certain ideas, or hypothetically.

However, amidst the myriad of questions swirling in his mind, a sense of relief washed over Lux as his gaze fixated on the one Unique trait he had managed to acquire. Despite its inherent vagueness, Lux found solace in knowing that he possessed something that set him apart from the average person, a quality he could claim as his own and utilize to navigate the impending hellish landscape of his journey. Though the skill appeared seemingly impractical within the void, where even light failed to penetrate, Lux couldn't shake the intuition that his trait would prove fundamentally crucial for survival in this new world. The applications were however best to experiment else were his first concern and the most was escaping the void.

As Lux accepted the notification, he sensed that the introductory tutorial had concluded, the system notification vanishing for the final time. In its place, a distant yet initially faint light emerged, seeming to beckon from miles away. Despite its modest appearance, the light exuded a chilling aura, but soon, Lux found himself hurtling toward it at a terrifying pace. The light's intensity intensified rapidly, its scorching heat becoming increasingly unbearable with each passing moment. Initially painful, then excruciating, the searing sensation surpassed even the agony of the crash that had preceded it. However, as time elapsed, the only consistent aspect of the experience was the unrelenting, unbearable brightness.

Finally, a blinding star, akin to a supernova, collided with him, and it felt as if his very essence evaporated from the cosmos itself. To describe the overwhelming sensation as mere pain would be an understatement; its ineffable nature caused Lux's mind to reel, unable to comprehend the magnitude of the experience.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A week had elapsed since Lux found himself ensconced within an unfamiliar abode he had taken to renting. Over those seven days, Lux grappled with several realizations, shedding light on certain misconceptions he previously harboured.

Despite the passage of time, Lux found himself unable to advance even a single level. While he noted minor upticks in certain stats, his overall level and skill total remained unchanged. Initially, one might attribute this stagnation to laziness, assuming Lux was content to while away his days in idleness. However, upon closer examination of his circumstances, a different truth emerged.

For starters, Lux discovered he was in Gotham City.

Gotham City, shrouded in perpetual gloom and cast in the long shadows of towering skyscrapers, emerges as a nightmarish labyrinth of vice and corruption. Every alleyway echoes with the whispers of clandestine deals and the desperate cries of those ensnared in its web of crime. Graffiti-strewn streets bear witness to the scars of countless struggles, a testament to the ceaseless battle between law and lawlessness that defines this urban sprawl. From the opulent heights of its gleaming towers to the depths of its dilapidated slums, Gotham throbs with the pulse of criminal activity, its very foundations steeped in the blood of the innocent. Within this cesspool of depravity, the rule of law holds little sway, and justice is but a fleeting illusion against the tide of corruption that grips the city in its iron grasp. In Gotham City, to walk its streets is to dance on the precipice of peril, where danger lurks at every shadowy corner and the line between hero and villain blurs into obscurity.

During Lux's initial day, he encountered a disheartening setback when a homeless man he attempted to assist ended up robbing him. As a result, Lux found himself in dire need of employment to cover his mounting bills before word of his financial hardship reached his landlord's ears. Fortunately, job opportunities were abundant in Gotham City, with establishments clamouring for additional staff capable of managing the everyday tumult of its citizens. Yet, while securing work and ensuring he could keep a roof over his head were paramount concerns, Lux also felt compelled to explore and test his newfound trait within the relative seclusion of his rented abode.

5