Chapter six: Tang Mei’s disappointment
133 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After seeing that there were no more dropouts, the Academy Elders were satisfied and Tang Mei with her no-nonsense attitude went straight to the next point, “The second round is about testing your body adaptability to the Heaven and Earth energy pressure and your willpower against it!!”

“ Anyone who can take twelve steps closer to the Black Tiger phantom is considered to be passed in this round. The killing intent released from the phantom primarily tests your willpower and the closer you are to the phantom; the more you will face Heaven and Earth energy pressure along with its killing intent.”

Upon hearing Elder Tang Mei’s monologue, Shen Ming's jaw tightened imperceptibly, his gaze fixed on the distant figure of the Black Tiger phantom but many participants wore pale expressions, uncertain of their ability to pass the test.

When Tang Mei saw the pale faces; she snorted coldly and carried on, “ If you are not even able to take more than twelve steps in front of the phantom; then it's better for you people to stay in the Sun City itself.”

With that, A crowd of 150 participants began to take their first step.

Observing the scene, several individuals, including those in the audience seats, couldn't resist indulging in gossip once more.

“ Hey? Isn't unfair to the participants who are closer to the phantom than the participants who are standing behind.”

“ You fool! Looks like it's your first time coming and seeing this selection. So let this big brother tell you how this test is very fair.”

“Oh! Please enlighten me, brother”

“ Hmph! No matter where you stand on the stage; you will face the same pressure once you stand anywhere on the stage and with every step you take; the pressure increases depending on your cultivation.”

“ As expected of Oldman Lu! We are nothing in front of you.“

“ snort! I have been watching the selection for the past fifty years. “ Said Oldman Lu which made everyone exclaim in admiration.

“ Brother Shen! This time I would definitely defeat you...” Wang Xuan shouted at Shen Ming. He felt that this time he had a chance to prove himself in front of his father who was watching the selection with a stern expression.

If he did it well, maybe he would gain the attention and love of his father again.

This was an opportunity for him.

“...…” Shen Ming, unsure of how to respond, remained silent, a demeanor many interpreted as indifference except the members of the Shen family and some others who knew his true character.

Chen Xiuying who heard the words of Wang Xuan frowned in anger when she heard it. According to her, the likes of Wang Xuan are nothing compared to her brother Shen.

Meanwhile, Shen Yao, her face slightly pale, chuckled and attempted her first step before shouting.....

“ Wang Xuan, how’s your injury you suffered last month? It won’t affect the test, will it?” her lips curved into a mocking smile as she glanced at Wang Xuan, her words laced with thinly veiled sarcasm.

She relished the opportunity to put this annoying bastard in his place, to remind him of his inferiority.

Wang Xuan’s face fell and he didn't say anything and started walking forward. He moved along with the crowd and would occasionally glance at Shen Ming who still didn't move from his place.

When Wang Xuan saw it; he grew excited. His chest swelled with determination as he squared his shoulders, his eyes gleaming with ambition and pushed himself to excel in this round, aiming to regain his father's affection and restore his prestige within the clan.

He then began to open up his strides and walked towards the phantom. But after taking about twenty steps, Wang Xuan felt that the pressure emitted by the phantom increased by five times more than before!

As nearly everyone began taking their first steps, Tang Mei addressed the crowd, “ I will give you all a piece of advice. Do not push it, if you think you are lacking in willpower; then it's better to stop to prevent injury.”

At the same time some City guards stood below the stage to rescue anyone who may fall unconscious.

On the stage, everyone who walked more than twelve steps started feeling a terrifying force from the Black Tiger phantom that felt extremely realistic. Both its eyes seemed to be able to see through their soul and their hidden thoughts.

“It’s fake! It’s just an illusion!” murmured Shen Yao to herself at the 17th step, but no matter how she tried to convince herself and gritted her teeth; she was still not able to take another step forward as if there was an insurmountable barrier blocking her path.

When Shen Yao sighed in resignation and looked around her; she saw Sister Chen at the 22nd step, Wang Xuan at the 25th step, and surprisingly there is even a Commoner who reached more steps than her.

‘Wait! Where is cousin Shen Ming?’ thought Shen Yao, shocked to see him at the back, taking his 11th step.

*********

From the start of the second round; Shen Ming felt all his surroundings quiet. Countless numbers of eyes were on him confused as to why he was not walking forward and stood still in his spot.

It's not that he was not able to walk forward but he saw an abnormality in the Golden eyes above his Energy Core in his body and before he could recognize what was going on; his consciousness was transferred into a pitch-black dimension devoid of any light.

Shen Ming's heart pounded in his chest as he found himself engulfed in a void of blackness, his senses dulled by the oppressive silence.

He strained to see through the darkness, his muscles tensing with unease. Unknown fear gnawed at the edges of his consciousness, threatening to overwhelm him.

“ Just what is this place... “ 

Shen Ming always had a fear of the unknown and a cautious behavior towards the unknown which is completely outside of his knowledge.

At this moment his consciousness was attracted to the faint golden light given off from the pitch-black space but he didn't take a single step towards it as he didn't want to take unnecessary risks.

So Shen Ming waited..........for a long time in the hope that he would be able to come out of it but as if fate was playing some joke; only the faint golden light kept on expanding.

‘ One hour passed ’

‘ Ten hours passed ’

‘ A day passed ’

“ I kinda remember my past girlfriend right now “ murmured Shen Ming lying down on his body. His girlfriend Alice was a B Rank Hunter and was popular for her innocent looks and kind nature towards everyone. Well, that's what he thought until she tried to stab him in the back to save herself with the same innocent smile.

He furrowed his brow in frustration as he wrestled with his inner demons. His mind was a whirlwind of doubt and uncertainty.

‘ Looks like the only way is to move forward ’ thought Shen Ming with a steely resolve, pushing aside his doubts and stood up.

When he was about to take his first step; he felt a tremendous pressure weighing down on his body.

But very quickly little lights of golden color made their way up to his feet before enveloping his entire body like a protective cocoon.

Meanwhile on the stage where the body of Shen Ming stood still; most of the people in the audience seats had puzzled faces when they saw the number one genius of the Sun City to be frozen in fear and not take a single step from the start of the test.

“How can he be that weak? Are we facing any illusion or are the instructors deliberately making any difficulties” thought most of them as no one wanted to believe the current situation.

The son of the two people who saved the Sun City from destruction twelve years ago couldn't be a coward and was more willing to believe that there was something wrong with the test.

“So how is it, has any kid made your heart flutter Instructor Tang Mei???” asked Oldman Fang Xuan; the instructor of Heavenly Star Academy. In his opinion,  having high cultivation doesn't mean anything if you don't have the corresponding willpower to face the dangers ahead.

“Not yet, the only brat who was most interesting has been staying still like a frozen statue.....” Tang Mei frowned slightly. what was he doing? Why was he idly standing there? Like an idiot.

With this brat Tempered Body at the Iron Body 7th stage, to be able to go within thirty steps of the Beast Phantom would not be a difficult matter, unless he did not have a shred of willpower.

Although it was her first time to see Shen Ming. Tang Mei did not know why she could not bear to see him performing poorly at the selection. From the moment she saw his face; she felt him familiar as if she saw someone who resembled him a long time ago in the Tang Family.

But from the present situation, he seemed no different to those losers who had been scared out of their wits. Besides being able to maintain his standing position.

‘ Elder Brother also specifically told me to observe him closely and give a report on him if he has good potential. But looking at the current situation; I think it would be not needed anymore' thought Tang Mei in faint disappointment and turned her gaze toward other participants.

“Hahaha, is this kid really a coward?” shouted middle-aged Elder Lin Kong; instructor of Heavenly Demon Academy in disdain pointing his finger toward Shen Ming. When he saw the brat foolishly standing there.

Lin Kong wouldn't have thought much if it was an ordinary person. But for a child of an Aristocratic family that too the strongest among the current participants; it was considered a disgrace if you are not even able to try to move forward.

7