NINE
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wyn was feeling better about living with Raif by the second. He would not be bringing his dates by. She hadn’t wanted to admit it before, but that had been one of the things that bothered her about rooming with a man she had a crush on. What if she had to play nice with his real love interest? What if she ran into her in the morning? The thought of it made her sick. 

By Friday, it was clear that Raif had no prospects, exactly like he said. One thing especially convinced her. She saw him in the hall in the Cousins Building at the University and approached. A young woman was standing in front of him all a-blush and the pitter-patter of her heart on display. 

“What year are you?” she asked in time for Wyn to hear.

“I’m a fourth year,” he replied.

Wyn watched his stock rise in the reflection of the girl’s eyes. She was thinking he’d graduate, get a job, and have money before she did. 

“Hey, Wyn,” he said, drawing her closer toward them with his eyes. “This is my roommate,” he told the girl.

She hesitated. “Uh… you live with a girl?”

“I live with the best girl. Do you know how clean she keeps her sink?”

“Sorry,” the girl muttered, backing away. “I thought you were single.”

Raif let her back away and didn’t call her back. 

Wyn had to stifle a snort. “Even if you are leaving in seven months, you probably still could have had a date with her tonight, if you’d wanted.”

He flopped his head toward her. “I told you. I don’t want to get into anything. I’ll just disappoint her. I’m dead sick of disappointing girls like her.”

“So what are you going to do tonight?” Wyn asked as they started walking down the hall. 

“I don’t know. I guess it’s a little early to start internet dating women who already live in Yellowknife.” His head drooped a little as he clutched the straps of his backpack.

“You look like you’re not even looking forward to that,” Wyn observed with a little laugh.

“I sort of stretched the truth when I said that it was near Yellowknife,” he admitted slowly.

“It’s not?”

“No. It’s not. It’s at Aulavik National Park on Banks Island way above Yellowknife. The likelihood I’ll be able to get a woman from Yellowknife to want to go that much further north is really iffy.”

Wyn got out her phone and looked up where Banks Island was. She’d never even heard of it. When she saw how much further it was, her heart nearly stopped. “Why do you want to go there again?”

“Because I want to live my life. I don’t know how long I’ll work that job, but I am not going to prioritize dating. I’m sure I’ll have plenty of time to date, meet women, whatever, but working in a place like that is not an opportunity that comes along every day.”

Wyn grabbed the elbow of his shirt. “Are you bored with dating?”

“There’s more to life than just getting a woman to like me, and I’m more than just a player. I’m done with that.”

“So you grew up?” she asked hesitantly.

He glanced at her. “If that’s what you want to call it.”

“Seriously, what are you doing tonight?” she repeated.

“Why?” he asked suspiciously.

“Because I’m going to make you dinner.”


Author's Notes: Thanks for reading!  I don't know about dudes, but I have a strong suspicion that the way to my heart is through my stomach... Or at least through really cold drinks.  See you tomorrow!

0