4. Out and Back Again
82 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After selling the corpses off to a farmer and spending a night in his stables, Ike headed back toward the slums, wary of spending too long away. The danger of triggering his uncle’s suspicion was too much to risk. All the way back, he kept practicing forcing Lightning Dash through his hand, holding the skill for longer and longer, from half a second to a second, from a second to two seconds.

As he walked back into the slums, he pulled up his stat sheet.

[Name: Ike | Age: 15 | Status: Nm | Rank: 0 [Newly Awakened]]

Skills: Common: 3 | … | Unique: 2

Common: Sprinter Lvl 2 | Distance Runner Lvl 3 | Razor Handling Lvl 3

Unique: Lightning Dash Lvl 1 | Lightning Grasp Lvl 0

Ike startled. It counts as a skill now? Rather than shaping the magic himself, he activated the Lightning Grasp skill.

His hand flickered with lightning for the same two seconds it did when he forcibly activated it, no more capable than his bootleg version.

Twisting his lips, Ike went back to forcibly activating it, focusing on holding it longer and longer each time. It started at a lower level than the rest of his skills, at Lvl 0. If he’d gained the skill by forcing it to activate many times, then surely continuing to force it to activate would level it up to a real skill, one where he wouldn’t have to consciously shape the skill, the same as Lightning Dash.

A second later, he startled and pulled the menu back up. He stared at the bottom of the blue box.

Unique: Lightning Dash Lvl 1 | Lightning Grasp Lvl 0

Two unique skills. By forcibly operating his unique skill on a different part of his body, he’d created a second unique skill.

Ike frowned, completely lost. Was that a special function of ‘unique’ skills, the ability to mutate? Were all the mutated unique skills also classified as unique? Or was it something completely different?

He shook his head. He didn’t know enough yet. In fact, he knew almost nothing about skills and magic, except for the bare basics every kid couldn’t help but pick up. He clenched his fist as his latest attempt to maintain the Lightning Grasp failed. If he lacked the knowledge, then there was only one way to make up for it: raw, brute force attempts. Throw attempts at it until he figured out exactly how many unique skills he could breed from his original unique skill. It doesn’t hurt to try.

Setting off at a jog, he activated Lightning Dash. Instantly, he sped up, the landscape hurtling past. Ike gripped the framework of the skill and stretched it up his legs.

As he stretched it, the mana draw grew heavier. His stomach instantly cooled, mana rushing out of it. In the space of a breath, that space behind his stomach—his core—emptied.

Without any mana, the Lightning Dash skill cut off abruptly. Ike stumbled back to the speed of an ordinary jog. His knees trembled, all but crumbling out from under him. He slowed to a halt, bracing himself against his knees to catch his breath.

After a few seconds, he pushed up to his full height again. He wiped his face and took a breath, the thinnest traces of warm mana gathering into his core as he did so. Stretching the framework was too much. Copying it from his feet to an equally small part of his body, like his hand, was one thing, but stretching the skill over more of his body pushed beyond his current mana capacity.

If he gathered mana more quickly, he’d be able to power the skill. Ike nodded, clenching his fist. Gather mana more quickly, so he could attempt more Lightning Dash-based skills. Practice the Lightning Grasp and Lightning Dash to perfection. And then, when he was strong enough, return to the monsters. Wipe them out, earn enough money to acquire everything he needed, and leave the slums, and his uncle, behind forever.

For now, though, what I need is some time to rest, heal, and recover mana, Ike thought, turning his feet toward the villa and his room. He took a deep breath, relaxing just a hair, with no thought but his bundle of rags and a long day of sleep. As he reached for the door, a sharp female voice rang out, full of authority. On instinct, Ike flinched back, dropping the handle. He hesitated, then leaned in, silently listening at the door.

“Ma’am, please. That man was completely unaffiliated with me. Blaming me for his mistakes is—”

Ike’s eyes widened. Again? Hearing his uncle speak politely twice in a week left his hairs on end. Wrong. His uncle never bowed his head, not to anyone. And yet, twice? Twice? He shot a nervous look at the door, edging toward his bedroom. Whoever that is, they’re incredibly powerful.

Too far from the door, and their voices faded. Ike froze, caught between safety and knowledge, then chose knowledge. He leaned back toward the door, but his whole body tensed, ready to flee at a moment’s notice.

“I don’t care,” the female voice snarled, more vicious than he’d ever heard his uncle. “My men last sensed it on your property. That makes it your responsibility. Either you find it, or you owe the city the full price of the skill orb.”

Ike swallowed. How much did a Perfect skill orb cost? Let alone one that held a Unique skill. The lowest-rank skill orb cost a hundred silver. The price increased with each rank, and Unique was the highest rank. Between the lowest rank and the highest, how much did the price increase?

More than I want to know, he thought, biting his lip. More than my uncle can pay.

The door flew open. Ike found himself face-to-face with a handsome woman, her fierce jaw and sharp eyes piercing straight through Ike. She scythed him with her eyes, giving him a look as if he were a piece of shit on her boot. Ike jumped away, clearing her path, his heart in his throat. She marched past, dark purple uniform’s sharp shoulder pads hurtling toward Ike’s head. Ducking to the side, he narrowly avoided a collision.

“Boy.”

He glanced at his uncle and swallowed. A part of him screamed to run away, but he knew that pain would only await him, so long as he remained here, so long as he returned home. Ike left the early daylight and stepped into the villa’s shadow, ducking his head.

A thick hand clasped him on the back of the neck and reeled him in. His uncle leaned down, glaring at him. “You heard.”

Ike flinched. He took a shallow breath, then bobbed his head. No point lying. His uncle had seen him.

“Then you already know I’m being blamed for shit I didn’t do.” His uncle glared at him. “And you know I’m going to have to pay more than I own.”

Ike nodded again.

His uncle sighed. He released Ike, all but pushing him away. “I can’t take on your debt anymore. Not with this financial burden to shoulder.” He let out a dramatic sigh, shaking his head as if with regret. “I’ll give you until the end of the month.”

“The end of the month to…” Ike trailed off, disbelieving. It couldn’t be. That wasn’t possible.

“To repay your debt, boy. What else?”

Ike’s head spun. He staggered back as if struck. Even hunting monsters, he couldn’t do it. If he killed the most powerful monster he could every day for the next month, he—

No. I’m stronger now. And not only that. With the System and these skills, there’s no limit to my potential strength.

Ike took a deep breath. He nodded once, firmly. “I’ll do it.”

His uncle gave him a smile more manufactured than the cloud-like overcity above. He clapped Ike on the shoulder. “We’re blood. I won’t throw you to the wolves. If you can’t find a way to pay me back yourself, I’ll set you up with The Family. Don’t be afraid to come to me.”

Ike flinched, heart lurching in fear. Sending him to The Family was the same as sentencing him to death. The jobs that criminal syndicate picked up were no less than suicidal. Killings, assassinations, monster hunting for profit with unawakened citizens, death games, killing pits, gambling, they did it all. Not to mention that association with The Family would besmirch his record beyond repair. Going to them spelled the end of his career as an adventurer, the end of his future in the light.

Between throwing me to the wolves and setting me up with The Family, please throw me to the wolves.

With that, he turned around, heading back out into the world.

“Where are you going?” his uncle snapped.

“To make money,” Ike replied.

His uncle snorted. “Smart kid.” Shutting the door, he turned away.

Ike looked around him, then headed back toward the wilderness near the wall. There were more monsters to be hunted out there, and he was already geared up for staying outdoors. From the beginning, he’d only come back because he’d thought his job was over, to rest in his real bed rather than in the wild.

But now, now that time was of the essence, he’d only be wasting time if he snoozed. It wasn’t time to sleep. It was time to hunt.

 It took until midday to return to the wilderness. This time, he walked slowly around the edge of the woods, keeping his eyes open for monsters, but equally for a good place to sleep. He couldn’t return until he had enough money to pay off his debt, which meant setting up a longer-term camp. Also on his list, finding a place to sell the monsters he hunted. That farmer he’d sold the first batch to didn’t have enough coppers to pay off his debt. Even if he kept buying the squirrels forever, he’d run out of cash sooner rather than later.

As he walked, his core steadily refilled, much faster than it had in town. Ike took a deep breath, relishing in the warmth that flowed into his lungs and down into his core. The further he walked from civilization, the stronger it got.

At that, Ike paused. The stronger the mana on the air, the quicker his own magic store refilled, but the same held true for monsters. If he headed somewhere with mana so thick he could instantly refill his core in a breath, he’d have to fight monsters who could do the same. Not only that, but monsters who could afford to cast spells and skills so powerful they’d deplete his entire core, and do so as rapidly as breathing.

Ike turned back around, heading toward the thinner parts of the wilderness instead. Best to stick to the shallows for now. Once he’d leveled up a few times, then, then he could head deeper. But for now, better to stick to what he knew he could conquer.

Returning to the place he’d fought the squirrels last night, he drew his razor. The branches remained eerily still, the entire forest quiet.

Playing coy, huh? Ike grinned. Clearing his throat, he lifted his head and chittered, just like the first squirrel had last night. His cry echoed through the forest, a pale imitation of the real thing, painful to his ears.

Ike grimaced. He shook his head. No way is that going to work. I need something better. Something—

A branch rustled nearby, followed by the signature cry. Ike whirled, raising his razor into the squirrel’s path even as it swooped at his head. Startled, it squealed and jerked away.

Lightning Grasp! His hand darted out, faster than the squirrel could dodge. It hit the ground with a dull thump.

Picking up the body, Ike tied it to his pack with a thin rope, then set off again, occasionally chittering. One after another, squirrels leaped at him, and one after another, they met their end. Whenever he needed a break, he sat still and kept quiet, breathing and nothing more. Once the air replenished his mana, he set off into the forest again, downing squirrel after squirrel.

Tying the tenth one to his pack, Ike clicked his tongue. It almost feels unfair. Not that I’m gonna stop, the squirrely bastards.

He pulled up his menu.

[Name: Ike | Age: 15 | Status: Nm | Rank: 0 [Newly Awakened]]

Skills: Common: 3 | … | Unique: 2

Common: Sprinter Lvl 3 | Distance Runner Lvl 4 | Razor Handling Lvl 5

Unique: Lightning Dash Lvl 2 | Lightning Grasp Lvl 1

A grin spread across Ike’s face. He punched the air, excited. My skills are growing! Hell yeah!

He turned his eyes toward the deeper parts of the forest. The places where mana thickened, dense on the air. The squirrels only gained him five coppers. The things that lived in deeper parts of the wilds…how much were they worth?

Ike touched his core. Warmth swirled within, still enough mana to keep going. He wasn’t sure if it was just his imagination or not, but it seemed larger than it had been the day before, or even that morning. More capable of holding mana. He called the shape of Lightning Dash to the front of his mind, and almost tried drawing it up his arm again, but stopped himself at the last minute. His mistake had cost all his mana last time. Right now, he needed to hunt monsters, not waste time trying experimental techniques.

Soon, he resolved. Once I pay off my debt. Once I’m a free man. Clenching his fist, he headed deeper into the forest.

Without the squirrels to chitter for, he walked on in silence, watching for any motion. Abruptly, something shifted in the undergrowth. Ike fell still.

Through the brambles, a fluffy white body shifted, jiggling slightly as it sniffed at the ground, little stub tail high. Ike rolled his eyes. Just a rabbit.

The rabbit turned slightly. A long, flabby flesh-colored tube curved up from its fluffy body, the strange thing dead-ending in a round maw and flat black eyes that were little more than black spots on its exterior. They locked eyes, and the rabbit-worm-thing hopped viciously at Ike, mouth gaping hungrily. Needle-like teeth extended from the end of its nubby head, circling its round jaw. They clenched at him, almost like a hand of sharp teeth.

Ike jumped back, startled more than anything. What the hell?

It hopped again, still silent. Not hesitating another moment, Ike charged to meet it, slicing that wet flesh with his razor. The worm-head went flying, leaving a long worm neck and a rabbit body to thrash on the ground.

Ike took a deep breath, walking over to nudge the worm-head over and get a better look. Just as he went to crouch, motion lunged at him from the corner of his eye. Instinctively, he threw his hand up, batting it back.

The worm-rabbit bit his hand, those needle teeth plunging deep into the flesh of his palm. A new head had grown where the head he’d sliced had been.

“Fuck!” Ike snarled. He drew his hand back, pulling the rabbit body toward him. Twisting his bit hand around, he grabbed its neck, then drove his razor deep into its furry body. The worm-rabbit kicked, struggling. Red blood stained white fur. The needle-teeth released his hand, and the rabbit collapsed, going still.

Ike shook his arm, lifting it for a once-over. Little red pinpricks marked a circle on his arm, and blood ran down from each of them, a purplish bruise just starting up underneath. He grimaced. That’s going to hurt.

Still, it was only a superficial wound. As long as he was prepared for the rabbit-worms, it wouldn’t be difficult to slaughter them. Their mouths and worm bodies possessed great strength, but he outsped them by a mile. The next one wouldn’t be able to touch him. He set off into the forest, razor at the ready.

Hours passed. At last, Ike emerged from the forest, a bulging sack pieced together from rags over his shoulder. He paused there, frowning at the ground. He couldn’t take them to his uncle. Not only would his uncle underpay him, but his uncle was already suspicious of him. Showing up with dozens of monsters would basically confirm his uncle’s suspicions. Ike held no doubts: if his uncle so much as thought he might be behind the theft, he’d turn Ike in without hesitation.

Which leaves the outpost. He gazed down the road, past the nearby farm and around the bend. Out of sight, a small settlement clustered against the wall, growing out from it like fungus. Hunters and adventurers often sold their kills there. The kills were then upsold to Ike’s uncle for processing, something his uncle cursed bitterly about, and which warned Ike about the outpost’s dirt-cheap prices. Still, he could sell the monsters without his uncle knowing about it, which was already a huge bonus.

Ike thought for a few more seconds, then shook his head. He didn’t know any other places to sell monsters, and pressed for time as he was, he couldn’t spend too much of it searching for where to sell. Even walking to the outpost would take hours of daylight, let alone setting off to some distant place in hope of finding a better rate.  He took a deep breath, then set off toward the outpost. Worst case, he could always ask around for a better place to sell.

Besides, it was my uncle who was complaining. He’d complain if they upsold for one extra copper.

The sun was high in the sky by the time he reached the outpost. Walking purposefully through town, he watched the other pedestrians with his peripherals, watching for someone else with monster corpses. Better to blend in and figure things out on his own, rather than get approached by someone coming for the obvious first-timer.

Even as he walked, he passed a man with a dead purple-furred hyena over his shoulder. The man ducked into a tavern just off the main square, and after pretending to look in a shop window for a moment, Ike followed him in.

Rather than a tavern, he found himself in the midst of a cool room, monster bodies piled high all around. A pale white crystal let off thick waves of icy air from atop the chandelier, and despite the high-quality appearance of the crystal, it balanced haphazardly on the iron beams. At the far end of the room, a woman sat behind a counter, chin propped on one hand. She wore the same rugged leather gear as the man ahead of Ike, marking her as a hunter or adventurer. A small red crystal glowed on a choker, casting a red orb of warmth around her and only her.

The man thumped his hyena on her counter. She yawned and put a hand on the body, distracted. Her hand glowed. The glow left her hand and traveled up and down the creature’s body, then returned to her hand. Her eyes blurred for a moment, focusing on something Ike and the man couldn’t see.

“Fifty silver,” she said at last.

Ike startled. Fifty silver? How long would I have to work to make that much money? Five copper a day, ten copper to a silver…

“Fifty? Fifty, for a Twilight Hyena of this quality? I didn’t even make a mark on it!” the man protested.

Ike stared. That’s low? His brows furrowed, and he squinted at the hide. He’d seen hides like that before, intimately close. His uncle had bought these hyenas before. Rage burned in his chest, and he bit his lip, forcing himself to hold it back. His uncle had so much money, and he couldn’t even pay him a working wage? Enough riches to not blink at buying an overpriced dog corpse like this? His uncle bought monsters like this by the dozen, and wouldn’t forgive a single copper of Ike’s debt?

I know it’s business. I know it’s—returns, and bullshit like that. But still. Selling me to The Family when—

Ike took a deep breath, forcing himself to calm down. Now wasn’t the time, nor was this the place. Impotent rage at his uncle helped no one, least of all himself.

Besides, he fully believed that his uncle lacked the money to pay the warden. Skill orbs were expensive, and he knew his uncle drank most of his discretionary money. Ultimately, having the capital to make business purchases was different than having liquid cash on hand.

She slapped the body. It undulated under her hand, as if its skin was a sack full of liquid. “Don’t give me that shit. Its insides are slurry. I’m being kind giving you fifty silver for the hide and bones. Everyone knows the organs are the most useful part of a Twilight Hyena. Next time, crush the skull if you have to, but don’t turn the liver into pate, hmm?” She plopped a small sack on the countertop and nudged it toward him.

The man scowled, but didn’t protest. He grabbed the sack and threw a rude gesture her way. As he stomped out, Ike caught sight of the badge on his belt: Rank 2.

He grimaced. Right. It wouldn’t be easy to catch a monster worth fifty silver. But even so…

“What’re you waiting for? Come on,” the woman said, gesturing Ike on.

He stepped forward, setting his sack on the counter. Carefully, he undid the knot holding it closed, releasing the corpses into a pile. “I’d like to sell these.”

The woman sighed heavily. Her eyes crawled over the monsters, lips pursing in slight distaste. “I don’t even have to rate these. They’re all low-level monsters.”

“Is there something I can do to make them worth more?” Ike asked.

“In general, bringing complete corpses helps…but honestly, it’s not worth bothering, with small fry like these. Even a high-grade Sabertoothed Squirrel corpse will only net you six coppers over the standard five. They aren’t worth enough to be worth the effort.”

One copper is one more copper. Keeping his thoughts to himself, Ike nodded. “Thank you.”

She scythed her eyes over him, pausing at his badge-less belt. “Unranked? Ought to register.”

Ike winced. He looked at the floor. “I—”

“Spare me the sob story. Everyone’s got their own circumstances, yadda yadda. Still. Oughta register, if you’ve got the cash. It’s only a silver.”

Ike pressed his lips together and gave her a fake smile.

“Those kinda circumstances, huh,” she muttered. She snorted, then tossed him a silver, following it up with a handful of coppers. “You willing to party up?”

“Uh… what?” Ike asked. He clenched the coins tight, still processing the amount of money he held. Three days of this work would make up for all the saving and scrimping he’d done for the skill orb. Three days!

She nodded, gesturing vaguely with her shoulders as she ferried the hyena, then Ike’s kills to their respective piles. “I might know a troupe who’s looking for a fifth. You seem like a resourceful, hardworking kid in need of cash. If you wanna make money fast, partying up to take down a big monster with a bunch of low rankers is the fastest way to do it.”

Ike opened his mouth to refuse, then stopped himself, eyeing the hyena the Rank 2 had brought in. He couldn’t afford to turn down any opportunities right now. And that hyena…even bringing down a monster of that rank would equate to fifty days, hunting on his own. Acting disinterested, he shrugged. “If it’s a good enough offer, I’ll consider it.”

The woman snorted, amused. “Sure, kid. I’ll let you know. Tomorrow afternoon, at the Wolf’s Head, ask for Leah. If I’m not there, assume it fell through.”

Tomorrow. It was the weekend, so he wouldn’t have work. He was open. Ike nodded. “I’ll see you there.”


Daily updates on Patreon! Right now, check out chapter 5 FREE and see if you want to sign up for the ride! 

This series will update 2x weekly on Scribhub, or as I feel like it. 

5