Chapter 13: An Investment in Two Worlds
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

image

 

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

An Investment in Two Worlds


 

Later, after they’d spent some time exploring the city’s main thoroughfare, with the otherworlders wide-eyed over everything they’d witnessed of daily life on Aarde, Bram’s party of five entered a less prominent district of Bellen close to its northern wall. Not a slum exactly, but it was certainly dirtier and poorer than what they’d seen of the city so far.

The buildings on both sides of the pothole-ridden cobblestone street seemed in dire need of repairs. The paint on houses was chipped, and their walls were flooded by graffiti. Storefronts were bordered up, their shutters closed due to a lack of business. Thankfully, the smell wasn’t too bad because the sewers underneath the city seemed at least to be well-maintained.

“We saw signs of poverty back on the main streets too, but this is worse,” Bridget observed.

She and her otherworlder friends were eyeing a pair of urchins on the other side of the street. They each had oily, matted hair and faces streaked with dirt. Their clothes were frayed too, with one of the children, a little girl, missing a shoe.

“I…I want to help them,” Hajime said, his face crunched up in concern. “Chris-Senpai, can we spare some griffins?”

“Sure, we can give them griffins enough for a bite to eat, but I’m not sure we should…” The Texan nodded toward a nearby alley where a gang of shady-looking locals were eyeing the party with hungry gazes. “I reckon someone will just steal the money from those kids once we’re out of sight.”

“Then I’ll just give them food,” Hajime insisted.

He was just about to turn his stallion toward the other side of the street when Bridget grabbed its reins.

“Wait, I’ll take care of it,” she suggested. “It’s safer than you trying to ride over there and accidentally trampling them to death.”

Chris chuckled. “Good thinking.”

“Everyone’s a critic…” Hajime grumbled.

Bram, who’d been listening to their conversation, was glad that those who hailed from another world seemed eager to assist Lotharin’s citizens without him needing to push them. However, he wasn’t certain that a well-meaning act of charity was the right way to aid the children.

A short while later, Bram watched as Bridget approached the urchins with the rations Hajime gave her. They were wary of her at first, but the scent of fresh bread and dried beef jerky quickly won them over. Soon enough, the children were stuffing their faces with the food Bridget had brought them, and the sight of their toothy smiles as they ate, the tears of gratitude pooling underneath sunken eyes, well, even Rowan seemed affected by this scene.

“It’s not enough…” Bram’s brow creased. “To truly aid the impoverished of this city, we need to deal with the source of Bellen’s troubles.”

“Is this a result of losing trade with the north?” Rowan asked.

Bram shook his head. “The north stopped trade only a short while ago, but Bellen’s decline started long before this.”

The seventh prince knew the cause of the city’s growing poverty since he’d read about it in one of Sir Anthony’s reports of the shire’s concerns that Bram’s predecessor had failed to address.

As a city built on the outskirts of the Red Forest, Bellen’s livelihood depended on the woodland realm. Though their main trade was lumber taken from the red pines, fur, leather, and coal were also a resource that was abundant in the Red Forest. Unfortunately, the dangers of the forest have increased significantly over the last ten months. To the point that the Leyen barony’s soldiers were no longer enough to protect the loggers, miners, or hunters who make their living in the Red Forest. Nor could the city guard effectively patrol and secure the southern half of the ‘Red Road’ that was the main thoroughfare between central and northern Lotharin.

“It’s not simply a problem of commerce, but also of security,” Bram finished.

Like Sundermount in the east of Bastille, the Red Forest was teeming with dangerous beasts. Although Bram didn’t think such monsters like the blackheart stag or flame-tail leopard which were known to inhabit the woodland realm were threatening enough to cause Bellen’s troubles.

“The Red Forest is ancient. It was here long before your imperium’s birth,” Rowan recalled, her lips pursing slightly. “It holds many secrets — some quite dangerous — though such dangers are well-hidden or in deep slumber…”

“Secrets like yours perhaps?” Bram asked.

“There are no secrets like mine,” Rowan replied.

Bram couldn’t help noticing the fleeting melancholy appearing on the trickster’s face.

“Though I will admit that there are elements in the Red Forest, which, if awoken, might stir the great troubles you’ve mentioned,” Rowan acquiesced.

“Here’s yet another reason for why we need to recruit champions from Earth…” As he said this, Bram glanced over his shoulder at Hajime, who, though still struggling with his steed, was managing to keep pace with Chris and Bridget who’d returned from her good work of charity. “I’m looking forward to hearing your plans for ensuring our great undertaking’s success on your world.”

For the first time since a soldier helped Hajime onto his horse, a wide grin flashed on the Japanese man’s face. “We already started, Boss. Chris-Senpai can you tell you the details.”

Chris, riding to Hajime’s left, reported, “Thanks to the money y’all invested in us, we’ve begun setting up our new gaming studio—”

“—which we’re calling ‘Trickster Studios’ by the way,” Bridget cut in.

“Such a clever name.” Smugness flashed on Rowan’s face. “I like it.”

“Of course, you would,” Bram replied.

“Hold your horses, gang. The name’s not set in stone yet. We’re still waiting to get the trademark for the brand and logo design,” Chris explained. “It might take a while. New York’s patent and trademark office is notoriously slow with these things.”

Seeing one of Rowan’s eyebrows twitching upward made Chris clear his throat.

“But, um, I’m sure we can ask them to prioritize our request,” he conceded. He then switched the topic to something less hazardous than irking a trickster of legend, “Anyway, once we’ve hired enough staff, we’ll have all the resources we’ll need to help sell the illusion of the game to our world.”

Chris’ gaze then drifted to the leftmost corner of his vision, which everyone knew was where the ‘All-Seeing Eye’ would be twinkling.

“Once the Loom’s integrated with our decoy software,” Chris grinned widely, “well, in Dallas, we call that a checkmate.”

“Tis fortunate then that the Loom’s sorcery can bridge the distance between our two worlds and form a connection with your Earth science,” Rowan weighed in.

“Only because you’ve empowered it to cross the stars,” Bram reminded her.

“I wasn’t going to mention it, but yes, I am brilliant.” Rowan flashed him an impish grin. “One of many capable minds you’ve begun gathering around you.”

On this, Bram couldn’t disagree.

In his mind, the seventh prince recalled that first night he’d met Chris and Bridget, and how the two otherworlders had been quick to accept Bram’s proposal. Partly due to Hajime’s encouragement, but mostly because the great undertaking had appealed to their sensibilities as creators.

It was Chris, a former EP of a triple-A game studio, who’d wondered first if trade was possible between the two worlds. For, as he explained it, “Being able to turn their success on Aarde into tangible rewards on Earth is the best way to hook people who don’t normally play video games but have the know-how we’ll need to make Lotharin great again.”

“Tis worth testing,” Rowan had agreed.

A bit of experimentation that same night proved it was impossible to send physical objects to Earth because it was a world without magic, and therefore possessed no means to keep an interdimensional portal open from that side long enough to send something through.

Bram, who’d aspired to visit the other world, had lamented this unfortunate fact.

On the other hand, the next night’s experiment proved the opposite was possible, and the seventh prince’s mind couldn’t help but wander back to that moment of success.


It was a night like any other for most of New York, though not for the three mortals who dared to perform a summoning ritual that hadn’t been attempted on Earth since the days the old gods of ancient man walked the world like the mortals they lorded over.

“Are there supposed to be this many candles?” Hajime asked.

His gaze swept through his living room, the anxiety in his chest growing more and more with each lit black candle he caught sight of that was dangerously close to something precious…or flammable.

“Rowan’s instructions didn’t say anything specific about it,” Chris admitted. “Maybe we should tone it down a little, Bridge?”

“No, no, we’ve got to set the mood right for this sort of ritual. Half-assing it just won’t do,” Bridget argued.

She lit one more candle. This one was thick, black, and leaking beads of wax onto Hajime’s hardwood floor just like its brethren lined up around it.

“Bridget-San,” Hajime sighed. “At least use a coaster…”

It had been ages since he’d had the time to clean his apartment, but he’d gone through it with a fine-tooth comb earlier in the day so it would look presentable to his guests, which included a certain attractive blonde Hajime had been crushing on since their first week working together. However, seeing how Bridget didn’t seem to care about making a mess, Hajime was beginning to wonder why he’d even bothered to clean.

Chris, who, like Hajime, preferred an orderly space when putting up his feet, patted his friend on the shoulder.

“I’ll help you clean up later,” he promised.

A grateful expression flashed on Hajime’s face. “Chris-Senpai…”

Later, when Bridget was finished setting the mood—complete with eerie-sounding choir music in the background—Hajime placed the wooden board he’d worked on earlier in the day on a patch of floor in the middle of a circle of black candles.

“Nice,” Chris nodded appreciatively. “Looks just like the one in Rowan’s temple.”

Carved on the thick wooden board was an intricate spiral that looped inward all the way to the center. It was a miniature replica of the round depression at the heart of Innocent Lost’s central chamber but with one glaring alteration. There was no round crevice in the center of the board. In its place was a symbol Hajime had once seen floating in the air between him, Rowan, and Bram, its fiery form spilling sparks of magic out into the ether.

“What’s the triskelion for?” Chris asked.

“According to Rowan’s notes, this triskelion’s meant to help establish a connection between Earth and Aarde,” Bridget explained for Hajime.

“Neat,” Chris replied. “And…what does that mean?”

“It will act like a comms buoy that’ll help Rowan-San’s sorcery find the item we’ll be sending them,” Hajime answered.

Both Hajime and Bridget turned to Chris who’d just finished gulping down a glass of beer.

“What?” he asked.

“The item,” Bridget reminded him.

“Oh, right,” Chris glanced left and then right, “I know I put it here somewhere…”

The Texan walked over to the kitchen to pluck a can of soda from the groceries lying on the tabletop counter. He then brought this item back to the circle of lit candles and placed the soda can on top of the triskelion drawn on Hajime’s board.

“Chris…” A frowning Bridget raised a finger in the air. “You had one job.”

“We agreed to send them a Visionary II,” Hajime added, sounding equally annoyed.

“Guys, “Chris raised his hand in a gesture of calm, “Our new bosses live in a world that’s one giant Renaissance faire. They won’t know what to do with a Visionary II.”

He pointed toward the soda can.

“This one, on the other hand,” he mimed drinking with his hand, “you pop it open and chug. Uncomplicated.”

Hajime and Bridget exchanged a look.

“He forgot to buy it,” Hajime guessed.

“More like he saw the insane line at the nearest ‘Gamespot’ and didn’t bother trying to get in,” Bridget replied.

Chris frowned. “Now why would y’all think that?”

Both of his friends turned to him with knowing looks, and a few seconds of staring him down was all it took for Chris to crack.

“Y’all knew the new ‘Zeldaya’ was out today, didn’t you?” Chris complained.

“I had my boyfriend preorder ‘Tears of the Empire’ three months ago,” Bridget admitted—while Hajime revealed, “I got an advanced copy from Nyantendo. Finished the game yesterday.”

“Crikey, you finished it that quickly?” Bridget glanced sideways at Hajime, her brow arching slightly. “Was it too easy?”

“N-No,” he answered evasively. “I-It was just so good I couldn’t put it down…”

Hajime turned away from Bridget’s searching gaze. He didn’t want her to ask more questions that might reveal a sad truth; the fact that he was a single man with too much free time on his hands.

In an undertone, he added, “Nande kareshi ga iru no?”

“No spoilers!” Bridget growled. “Not even in Japanese!”

Clearly, she didn’t know enough about Hajime’s native tongue that she misunderstood his question. Chris didn’t though. The former big studio EP who’d been going back and forth between America and Japan spoke the language well enough that he’d translated Hajime’s depressing question of ‘Why do you have a boyfriend?’ and knew exactly what to do next. He patted his friend on the back to show Hajime he understood his pain.

“Want a beer?”

“Hai…”

Chris cast Bridget a furtive glance, and while she prepared the final ingredient to their ritual, he wondered how a woman so meticulous in writing backstory for every game she helped develop could be so clueless about Hajime's feelings for her.

"Some people just don't have any luck," he deduced.

Hajime sighed again. Then he chugged down the beer Chris offered him.

“Don’t get too hammered, boys. We’re heading to Aarde after this,” Bridget reminded them. Then, with a satisfied look at their setup, she asked, “Shall we get started?”

Chris looked at his smartwatch.

“One minute to midnight,” he reported. “Let’s do this.”

Following Rowan’s instructions, Bridget poured a bowl of pig’s blood into the grooves carved into the wooden board in mimicry of the sacrifice that powered the ritual that had first summoned the trio to Aarde, but without the violent ending of an innocent beast, of course. When that line of blood touched the triskelion at the heart of the wooden board all three mortals caught their breaths. Then…nothing.

“Did we make a mistake?” Hajime asked.

“Give it a second,” Bridget answered.

The seconds ticked by. Still nothing.

“Maybe we’re supposed to dip the soda can in blood like a symbolic baptism or something,” Chris suggested.

“Crikey, Chris,” Bridget gave him an appalled look, “you watch way too many horror movies.”

“Can’t help it,” Chris sighed. “Charlie loves them.”

“Guys,” Hajime called.

Neither Bridget nor Chris heard him though. They were too busy discussing his love life.

“Didn’t you two break up?” Bridget asked.

“We did,” Chris sighed again, “but that doesn’t mean we can’t hang out.”

“Guys…”

“That’s exactly what it means!” Bridget’s face was full of judgment. “Who hangs out with their ex?”

“Now, y’all know it’s more complicated than that,” Chris argued. “Charlie and I, it’s just complicated.”

“It’s not complicated when they cheated on you while you were pulling another all-nighter at the office working your fucking ass off paying for your overpriced Manhattan—”

“Guys!” It had been a while since Hajime heard Bridget’s Irish temper flaring, but even her ire turned on him didn’t stop Hajime from calling their attention back toward the summoning board. “Look!”

There were no glowing lines of blood or telltale sparks of sorcery to signal that the ritual was a success, and yet all three of them held had their mouths agape.

“Sweet Christmas,” Chris whistled.

The can of soda was moving on its own as if something were rattling inside of it.

“It’s happening,” Bridget whispered.

The soda can rattled, paused, and then rattled again as if it were a tin dancer playing to a beat only it could hear. Then, after one long dance step, it vanished—plucked out of Hajime’s apartment by an invisible hand.

‘Ba-dump.’

An eerie silence permeated Hajime’s apartment.

‘Ba-dump.’

One by one, Bridget’s candles winked out as if an ill wind was blowing across the living room. Soon, there were no lights left to keep the darkness at bay.

‘Ba-dump.’

“Sweet—”

“Yatta!” In that unnerving darkness, Hajime pumped the air with his fists. “We did it!”

 


 

Chapter notes:

Gamespot – My version of the famous Gamestop

Zeldaya; Tears of the Empire – I know it’s obvious, but just for the non-gamers; Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. ;P

Nyantendo – Um, yeah, it’s Nintendo.

 

Salutations, fellow otherworlders!

I thoroughly enjoyed writing this chapter detailing the shenanigans Hajime's crew get up to on Aarde, though I do miss Bram and Rowan already. So, yeah, they'll be back front and center next chapter!

Thanks again for reading—and don't forget to FOLLOW or WRITE us a REVIEW!!! 

 


Volume One of Level Up Hero is now on Kindle with a 4.5 rating!!! I hope you guys check it out!

Level Up Hero: Vol. 1, Rebirth Link


To my patrons past and present... Thank you for supporting my stories!

 

image

1